Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Dusty Lens posted:

They asked you how much you expect to get?

Yeah, they do. I'm in the process of waiting for the funds to show up at my paypal account. No idea why that step takes 5 to 10 days through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Tarranon posted:

quarter to three is the only gamings journalism site I give a poop about and that's mostly because it's basically just Chick's blog, but he writes in that pleasant but slightly curmudgeonly old person way. Reminds me of Ebert.

it's good

I have to congratulate the quarter to three forum on being the only circa-2000 message board still operating more decrepit and irrelevant than this one though :tipshat:

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

BluestreakBTHR posted:

Holy horsemeatballs!

I just had a.. spirited discussion with a backer about how CR can't deliver this project on time and as promised.

After much back and forth, his final comment before the end was "when you're ready to stand in CR's moccasins, let me know"

NOTACULT

Have some sympathy, if he can't pay back the Swedish mafia those moccasins will become concrete

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

How do you even answer that? The full value of the items in your hangar? That's what I thought the deal was.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dusty Lens posted:

How do you even answer that? The full value of the items in your hangar? That's what I thought the deal was.

I put that I wanted the total spent on the account which I found under transactions I think.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dusty Lens posted:

AFAIK The only thing they will refund you is the poo poo you bought and not gifts. So people who got ships via laundering, or purchased/traded via the Grey Market get to eat poo poo

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
I've seen worse :o

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Bolow posted:

AFAIK The only thing they will refund you is the poo poo you bought and not gifts. So people who got ships via laundering, or purchased/traded via the Grey Market get to eat poo poo

That's the message they sent a friend of mine as well.

quote:

First of all the following things will not be refundable:

Pledges/packages received from other users
Pledges/packages sent to other users
Pledges/packages purchased with store credit that came from gifted pledges
Subscription payments
Delivered physical items

I'm not sure if anyone has found the correct series of indignant words that successfully mitigates that brand of crap.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Bolow posted:

This is correct, I received no credit for the Retaliator I traded for on the grey market.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Dusty Lens posted:

I just went by the transaction history. I gave them $80 and I should get $80 back. I guess in theory it could be to prevent fraud (laffo).

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

I'm not sure if anyone has found the correct series of indignant words that successfully mitigates that brand of crap.

I don't think that list is unreasonable.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

No Mods No Masters posted:

I have to congratulate the quarter to three forum on being the only circa-2000 message board still operating more decrepit and irrelevant than this one though :tipshat:

Gamefaqs says hi

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

theultimo posted:

Gamefaqs says hi

Man.. I miss Tips and Tricks magazine now too. Thanks for mentioning one of the biggest websites of my youth :(

Is gamefaqs still absolutely awful and bad?

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Dapper Dan posted:

From what I know about paypal they will do whatever it takes to please you as a consumer. I know for sellers they don't give a poo poo. There might be a time limit, but if you had a lot of money on the line they might make an exception

Are you guys who are selling off your ships and pledge packages on Reddit/etc using Paypal? I did and I'm mildly worried that the nerd who bought my stuff will take advantage of Paypal's buyer-friendliness to chargeback on me when the poo poo really hits the fan.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Iron Tusk posted:

I don't think that list is unreasonable.

Anyone who had a ship laundered in 2013 for lti would be hit by that. Buy rear admiral for $275, gift it to an original backer, get a LTI rear admiral back with a $250 melt value, two years later have CIG refused to refund you $25 you tipped the guy (that's fair enough), plus refuse to refund the $250 lti package you received.

Total spend $275, refund $0.

BluestreakBTHR
Oct 2, 2015

Fucking Star Citizen True Believers are passive-aggressive douchebags. Sorry if I have the ability to use my critical thinking skills. I didn't drink the Kool-Aid, motherfuckers.

That's me trying way too hard to fit in here. Please accept me, I need validation. I'm very depressed.
Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to read about the mass suicides when CIG goes tits-up.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Wafflz posted:

CR has ruined Douglas Adams for me.

While I do like Douglas Adams, it's always a bit sad when an adult picks a Hitchhiker's Guide reference as a demonstration of their wit. Same with Nineteen Eighty-Four and the Cthulhu Mythos (except Lovecraft actually does suck).

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 13, 2015

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Ag Bengip posted:

While I do like Douglas Adams, it's always a bit sad when an adult picks a Hitchhiker's Guide reference as a demonstration of their wit. Same with Nineteen Eighty-Four and the Cthulhu Mythos.

Same. A big part of that is that its always just a meaningless reference. Hey guys, 42, am I right? Funny stuff.

Terrible Lovecraft ripoffs are the worst though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ilustforponydeath posted:

He should be, what was his last gig? Full throttle?

Are you serious?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Wafflz posted:

Maybe I missed it but has the owner of the Star Citizen horse been named yet?

After extensive research I've managed to track them down.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

grimcreaper posted:

Man.. I miss Tips and Tricks magazine now too. Thanks for mentioning one of the biggest websites of my youth :(

Is gamefaqs still absolutely awful and bad?

Tips and Tricks was my jam. I remember their Persona and SF3 articles fondly

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Finally caught up. What an amazing thread.

Anybody who thinks CIG will go chapter 11 is kidding themselves though.

Clearly they will go chapter 7. :haw:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

AP posted:

Anyone who had a ship laundered in 2013 for lti would be hit by that. Buy rear admiral for $275, gift it to an original backer, get a LTI rear admiral back with a $250 melt value, two years later have CIG refused to refund you $25 you tipped the guy (that's fair enough), plus refuse to refund the $250 lti package you received.

Total spend $275, refund $0.

Or pick up a pledge using a little extra bump from a $5 skin you won in a contest.

Sorry friend.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Just need to check something here... am I correct that these wierdos (caution: link contains astronomical amounts of cringe) spent over $1000 on a virtual spaceship?! :catstare:

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED

Kegslayer posted:

From a couple of pages back.

It depends on how much money you're borrowing but the process for borrowing generally remains the same.

Basically you go to the bank and ask for money. The bank will ask you for more information like a business plan, your current financial situation to your projected earnings and spendings. The bank will then have its analysts go through these documents and calculate their own risk assessment as well as do their own modelling and projections of what they think your earning and income will be.

Banks will still lend to new/riskier businesses but they might charge a higher rate of interest or have tougher conditions or require more security etc, anything to offset the risk they incur.

If they are borrowing money from a bank then the bank is generally isn't going to care much as long as they're making their repayments and things look like they're going ok from the outside.

Thanks for this! I hadn't thought about the possibility that a bank could just give them really harsh terms if they didn't like the look of their "revenue" stream...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Three-Phase posted:

Just need to check something here... am I correct that these wierdos (caution: link contains astronomical amounts of cringe) spent over $1000 on a virtual spaceship?! :catstare:

You're not even towards the deep end of this pool, man...

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Just need to check something here... am I correct that these wierdos spent over $1000 on a virtual spaceship?! :catstare:

They spent $1000 .jpgs: the game is never coming out so no virtual ship.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Well, if nothing else this makes me feel much better about only giving $30 to the morons making DayZ.

Wait, are there spaceships that cost >$1000USD? :dogbutton:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Wow, of all the turns this story could have taken, "Possible connection to the Sweedish Mafia" was not one I'd have guessed.

:suspense:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

AP posted:

I believe Sandi Gardiner said in one interview that Chelsea used to do 400 support tickets a day.

Why does a game that doesn't exist do 400 tickets a day? Even if everyone who played AC submitted a ticket every day it wouldn't add up to that.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

What the actual gently caress was that? :stare:

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Surely legally they have no need to give refunds to people who bought pictures of spaceships? I had kind of assumed they had T&Cs saying they wouldn't have to refund, otherwise how would crowdfunding ever work, though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they have no legal obligation.
Pretty much thought they were giving refunds just to keep the noise down.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

nasa, unlike cig, is an institution worth paying for in order to get jpegs

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

El Grillo posted:

Surely legally they have no need to give refunds to people who bought pictures of spaceships? I had kind of assumed they had T&Cs saying they wouldn't have to refund, otherwise how would crowdfunding ever work, though I suppose that doesn't necessarily mean they have no legal obligation.

And because Smart got one.

But they seem to be somewhere between giving refunds to keep the noise down, giving refunds to build a damages case and giving refunds because they haven't decided if they're giving refunds or not.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

El Grillo posted:

If anything, next month they are obligated just going off their own TOS alone since they promised to deliver at most one year over their expected delivery date of Nov. 2014.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rudager posted:

What the actual gently caress was that? :stare:

Well, there's a cheetah that may have a significant intellectual disability, and a blue dog... and apparently they bought a $1000 spaceship that doesn't even exist. :stare:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Dusty Lens posted:

And because Smart got one.

But they seem to be somewhere between giving refunds to keep the noise down, giving refunds to build a damages case and giving refunds because they haven't decided if they're giving refunds or not.

they wanna be players but they got no game

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED
Sean Tracy commented on some concerns about the Bishop speech and SQ42 demo in this thread:

Sean Tracy posted:

Hey guys,

Just wanted to chirp in here as I've been pushing our pipeline forward.
So you guys are aware we produced 15 MORE characters than Ryse shipped with, in about 4 months (faces). Having worked at Crytek and on Ryse stuff I have a very good idea of the time each of these characters usually gets and comparing up against Ryse won't bring us out on top quite yet as we are far from completed (and thus why you don't have SQ42 in your hands!)
The main thing is that most faces takes about a year to complete perfect. You are seeing Bishop who got only a few weeks compared to a year of work.

The other very obvious (but overlooked fact) that the comparisons to Ryse are a bit skewed because most of the cutscenes are pre-rendered (not real time) and in fact we used a different technology (called Cinebox) to render the cutscene videos for Ryse back at Crytek.
So keep in mind SC will run in REAL TIME with the cutscene rendering on your PC not before hand so that there is zero texture shock between cutscene and gameplay.

The best indication you'll have right now of the quality we are reaching for is Bishop who still as of now is about 3/4 complete with very little time for subtle polish quite yet. This is why we are releasing those guys in 2016 ;) I'd be happy to have you guys compare to other released games once we are released :) until then its a bit early! Even at this stage though it's not far off and the tech is identical, if not further, than Ryse was already.

I'd like to note to for Morrow tour the lighting can really hurt the scenes, you are seeing many cutscenes in Ryse that we poured over the lighting and rendering of for hours and hours on end, where as in Morrow tour this is all in game real time moving around with very little pre canned cinematics, much harder to get right and just takes time. We like to show you guys where we are at as of now though, but expect much more polish and even more gorgeous things to come.

The pipeline is awesome and we've made this so fast to cut the time to produce these down to weeks instead of years so you're seeing alot of quantity over quality at this exact moment.

Sean Tracy also posted:

Bishop was indeed an achievement point as it is "feature complete" meaning it's got all the tech and used the full pipeline that was developed and is the highest tier of character we will have to contend with. It's a huge achievement just as most might know feature complete doesn't at all mean finished :) We call it look dev that comes next. Essentially tuning each piece so that it sings and includes ships and lighting especially.

We big battle we have is keeping consitency between environments, ships and now characters. Its important though different pipelines get used that they all react to shading the same and exist in the same "pbr scheme" as the rest of the assets. Inconsistency of assets is what you guys are seeing mostly (meaning asset does different things under different lighting conditions etc..) The only fix for that, is the fun part of our jobs which is polish :)

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Dusty Lens posted:

I melted everything I had that had some kind of value, so my account shows a balance of $x. I can prove that I spent at least $x, so I want $x back and they can remove the credit from my account. Anything less than that is when you start involving the FTC, AGs, and/or lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octal
Jan 30, 2003

It is haram to draw images of mythical beasts even if it never existed in reality

Tippis posted:

Normal ones don't have Idris-to-€ conversion charts in their front windows.

With that amount of padding? No, it doesn't seem that plausible.

Sorry to go off topic, but what is idris?

• Locked thread