Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also the real guy has the thickest Baltimore accent in recorded history

And while a number of characters are based on real gangsters, the only guy with an actual criminal record plays the deacon.

The one guy in Marlo's crew that is with him when they look at the window Omar jumped out of is the one who that scene is based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also the real guy has the thickest Baltimore accent in recorded history

And while a number of characters are based on real gangsters, the only guy with an actual criminal record plays the deacon.

I think Snoop had done time for attempted murder before the series as well. Michael K Williams met her in a bar, iirc. Same name as her character too

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

I think Snoop had done time for attempted murder before the series as well. Michael K Williams met her in a bar, iirc. Same name as her character too

Yep. Not attempted, though, she went down for murder in the second degree.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

quote:

Baltimore police are searching for a former actor on “The Wire” who they say escaped from custody after he was taken to a hospital for a check.

Christopher Clanton Sr., 33, was arrested Sept. 12 in Northeast Baltimore for violating a protective order, according to police. Someone first sought the order against Clanton in July and a judge issued a final order this month, according to court records. The person who sought the order was not named in court records. Clanton also has three pending criminal cases, according to the records.

He was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital because of a pre-existing medical condition before being taken to Central Booking to be processed, police said. He left the hospital Friday.

On “The Wire,” Clanton played Savino Bratton, a recurring character who appeared in nine episodes in the first and fifth seasons of former Baltimore Sun reporter David Simon’s HBO show about crime in Baltimore. Clanton was also an extra in a Simon’s earlier show “The Corner.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This article is very long but it makes a good case that Kirk in the TV show isn't really the character that people think he is, especially in terms of being a womaniser.

That article starts off okay, but then starts massively overreaching.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The mean the whole Kirk isn’t really a womanizer thing makes sense as most people just point to one instance of loving an alien chick which is in public consciousness more because she was an alien than the fact he hosed a lot

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Didn’t they kind of run with that in Khan though? What with his preppy love child.

I can’t recall if he had a romantic interest in the first one. I can’t recall anything from the first one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Kirk's romantic interest in the first one is the recommissioned Enterprise

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

tbf that might've been the director's own kinks emerging in the final cut, i mean there's no other way to make sense of a 5 minute sensuous space dock sequence without the director actually whispering slower you slut to the fellas editing it

but then again, the early conflict was the fallout of kirk's reaction to the enterprise finding itself a new man captain so you're probably right too

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The mean the whole Kirk isn’t really a womanizer thing makes sense as most people just point to one instance of loving an alien chick which is in public consciousness more because she was an alien than the fact he hosed a lot

And the instance in question isn't even Kirk, everyone just thinks it is because he's a captain in TOS.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Kirk's romantic interest in the first one is the recommissioned Enterprise

I mean, I can't blame him

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Byzantine posted:

I mean, I can't blame him
I can. She was smooth as a baby but bitch was unstable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
loving Pike got drunk with his Dr. and mused about becoming a slaver.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GoutPatrol posted:

Buffy did a very good job of that in the Prom episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-9GeMDRWY

There are a few instances of characters in Buffy acknowledging that Sunnydale is a ludicrously dangerous and weird place, and it's pretty much an open secret that the local government is covering it up.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

There are a few instances of characters in Buffy acknowledging that Sunnydale is a ludicrously dangerous and weird place, and it's pretty much an open secret that the local government is covering it up.

"You may not have realised it, but the police here are, like, really stupid."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Barry Foster posted:

I think Snoop had done time for attempted murder before the series as well.

That weren’t no ‘temp murder, she just shot the boy Mike-Mike in his hindparts.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

“Man, I hate playing vampire towns” - Aimee Mann

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Felicia ‘Snoop’ Pearson is a badass that grew up on the real streets of one of the most hosed up places in all of the US. The Wire is one of the very few shows that almost never belongs in this thread. I guess you could complain about how some scenes are silly with how close the police get to and/or are watching suspects. And the ease with which Herc and Carver can plant big ole WiFi-extender sized GPS unit on a car without it ever being noticed is a bit goofy. But the show itself is still completely solid and paints a picture of how things really work that hasn’t lost any of its credibility almost 20 years later.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

HairyManling posted:

Felicia ‘Snoop’ Pearson is a badass that grew up on the real streets of one of the most hosed up places in all of the US. The Wire is one of the very few shows that almost never belongs in this thread. I guess you could complain about how some scenes are silly with how close the police get to and/or are watching suspects. And the ease with which Herc and Carver can plant big ole WiFi-extender sized GPS unit on a car without it ever being noticed is a bit goofy. But the show itself is still completely solid and paints a picture of how things really work that hasn’t lost any of its credibility almost 20 years later.

It's astonishingly good. I rewatched it recently with my girlfriend and it made everything else seem cartoony and hackneyed to us (well, the first four seasons, at least). I don't know if it really is 'the best tv show of all time' but it's easily the best I've ever seen.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiggum posted:

In School Hard, early in Season 2, the vice principle is talking to the police and they agree they're going to report a clear vampire attack on a parent-teacher conference as gang members on PCP.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Barry Foster posted:

It's astonishingly good. I rewatched it recently with my girlfriend and it made everything else seem cartoony and hackneyed to us (well, the first four seasons, at least). I don't know if it really is 'the best tv show of all time' but it's easily the best I've ever seen.

Season 5's made up serial killer is a little doofy and Brother Mouzone is a little comic booky, but even with some of its flaws it's still the GOAT. Haven't done a rewatch in a few years though. Probably should

frankee
Dec 29, 2017

I love snoop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpvkwBBu6U

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tiggum posted:

Wasn't there a point in the show where the mayor was the villain because he was a literal demon?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

marshmallow creep posted:

Wasn't there a point in the show where the mayor was the villain because he was a literal demon?

For most of it he was just a dude who wanted to become a demon but yeah.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

HairyManling posted:

I saw her on Love and Hiphop and she was 100% ready to for real fight with men twice her size and they honestly seemed a little scared of her.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

A girl half your size trying to fight you is kinda a lose-lose situation.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tiggum posted:

There's an alternate reality episode where Buffy never comes to Sunnydale and as a result the mortality rate goes through the roof.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

HairyManling posted:

There’s a reason The Wire only came up here because of the discussion of casting oddities. That show has aged like a fine wine.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s a reason The Wire only came up here because of the discussion of casting oddities. That show has aged like a fine wineforty .

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Bunny Colvin owns and did nothing wrong

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Apparently the character the real-life Jay Landsman plays on the Wire is named after and based on a real BPD police captain, making the chain of Landsman stuff I mentioned on the last page even weirder!

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

does the Addams family canonically have supernatural powers and such or are they just deeply weird people with money

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pastry of the Year posted:

does the Addams family canonically have supernatural powers and such or are they just deeply weird people with money

They're cartoons living in the real world, this confuses normal people who can't survive being electrocuted and don't have model trains with tiny little living people inside

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

deeply weird people with money, think of them as the flintstones or the jetsons - a cartoon stereotype of american families. the addams are your typical old money new england WASPs except goth and not giving a gently caress, living their best bizarro life

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

How much money do you have to have before you have a sentient severed human hand living in your house and lighting your cigars?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Here's some info on Gomez.

Gomez Addams is One of the Richest Characters in Fiction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFEuFVHtKfk

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

How much money do you have to have before you have a sentient severed human hand living in your house and lighting your cigars?

Well, between an inherited fortune from Castilian royalty and British aristocracy, the tomb stone factory and the crocodile farm 'Crocodiles Unlimited'...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It's definitely a combination of the two. There are undeniably supernatural things going on around them, but the Addamses themselves are mostly not shown to have any kind of supernatural abilities, they're just completely used to weird stuff happening around them all the time.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

MariusLecter posted:

Here's some info on Gomez.

Gomez Addams is One of the Richest Characters in Fiction - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFEuFVHtKfk

Where?

(admittedly, I gave up after the first 5 minutes of 'funny' banter.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
imo they do not canonically have supernatural powers, like the magical stuff that happens around them is unexplained. it's more like metaphorical magical realism and cartoony hijinx than that gomez is a warlock or something