Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I had a mix of horrible invade my base, but it wasn't as bad as end game enemies. Mostly around where you are as far as enemies, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Really the key is to make sure that all your soldiers are wearing all the equipment you've got just as soon as you clear out the alien base. I abused the hell out of that "clear all" button on my first EW run...did not result in the easiest base defense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Really the key is to make sure that all your soldiers are wearing all the equipment you've got just as soon as you clear out the alien base. I abused the hell out of that "clear all" button on my first EW run...did not result in the easiest base defense.

This is a dumb mechanic honestly, though -- it kind of implies that your soldiers are wearing their deployment gear all the time instead of just when they go on missions.

It'd make more sense to have your soldiers be randomly equipped with whatever they could grab en route to the fight, but I guess that'd be kind of RNG-heavy for the higher difficulties to be fair.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is a dumb mechanic honestly, though -- it kind of implies that your soldiers are wearing their deployment gear all the time instead of just when they go on missions.

It'd make more sense to have your soldiers be randomly equipped with whatever they could grab en route to the fight, but I guess that'd be kind of RNG-heavy for the higher difficulties to be fair.

Eh, you can kind of rationalize it as gear that's assigned to them so it's near their bunk or whatever. Random equipment would probably be better though.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Speedball posted:

Pretty much. I was gonna have it be part of the cutscene update but then I realized "god drat I'm gonna be blowing away at least 20 aliens, this is gonna be a looong update". First room clearing's recorded, but who knows. At this point in the game you could have swarms of mectoids and chrysalids, or still just ordinary sectoids invading the base.

If you wait until late in the game, hooooo, you get invaded by end-game-level enemies. Not fun!

Cheerleader squads of Muton Berserkers with Cyberdisc surround sound?

64bitrobot
Apr 20, 2009

Likes to Lurk
The equipment thing is kind of a jerk, but the fight is still pretty interesting. In the Long War mod they just let you pick troopers and and equipment, but you're not gaurenteed to get any specific soldier you pick. Also the rest of the mod difficulty is like a dick punch so it's more like they had to do it that way considering changes, or everyone would lose base defense all the time.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The base defense mission is a dick move from the developers. "Like using that Unequip All button? Have fun defending your base against endgame enemies with nothing but your starting equipment!" :xcom:

So, keep your best stuff on your best dudes after finishing the Alien Base mission, I had to learn that the hard way, and I bet I'm not the only one. After that I kept my dudes equipped at all times out of paranoia.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Am I the only who keeps equipment on, and only change them out during the pre-mission sortie?

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

That's why I keep all the EXALT weapons and load all my reserves up with lasers before taking the alien base mission

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

Am I the only who keeps equipment on, and only change them out during the pre-mission sortie?

No, I did too back when I played it myself. I didn't do any roleplaying or such when I played it so why would I unequip anything from the squad? :v:

Then again, I've played SRPGs like the tactics advance games too so that might just be ingrained behavior at this point.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Starhawk64 posted:

The base defense mission is a dick move from the developers. "Like using that Unequip All button? Have fun defending your base against endgame enemies with nothing but your starting equipment!" :xcom:

So, keep your best stuff on your best dudes after finishing the Alien Base mission, I had to learn that the hard way, and I bet I'm not the only one. After that I kept my dudes equipped at all times out of paranoia.

I lucked out through my own prior incompetence the first time I went into the Base Defence mission. I knew they added it but I had no idea when it was coming. But the game I had played before playing EW for the first time was also my first game in EU and I was terrible at researching things in that one. By the time I started the Alien Base mission in my EU I was still using those same basic weapons, though with some upgraded armor, and I probably don't have to say that was certainly fun when Chrysalids appeared. So even though I had MECs, Gene Mods, and a smattering of laser weapons in my EW game I delayed starting the Alien Base as long as I could without losing countries, still managing to lose one in Asia. But at least I went into the base defence with lasers and armor on pretty much everyone.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Mission 31: BASE DEFENSE!

poo poo! It’s raining dirt on me, I think I’ve got one coming in from above me! What’s your status?
This “skeleton armor” is flexible and breathes nicely, but it’s not very tough. And I dunno about the utility of this grappling hook when we’re underground. But it looks cool! The pants are—
Ugh. Thank you for the fashion report, Leroy.
I’ve got a flashbang, too. For all the good that’ll do us.
I’ve got some experimental new armor they just slapped on me with a heal-sprayer, no idea how good it is. Looks like it’s just us three, plus these redshirts.
Hey! We’re BLUE!
The rest are dealing with threats on their own as they go. I’ll send some to link up with you when they can.
Right. Everyone on overwatch!
Oh, maaaan…

poo poo! CHRYSALID!
EVERYONE SHOOT IT!
AAAAH!!! I DON’T WANT TO BE A ZOMBIE!!!

More dropping in around us!

You would NOT believe what I just saw. Bradford’s going apeshit with dual-wielded arc throwers, stunning everyone he sees. He just roundhouse kicked a guy in the jaw!
Huff… huff… well… you focus on the aliens, Strike-One, I’ll handle the mind-controlled crew!
How many enemies in here?

Coupla sectoids, another chrysalid bearing in on you, and a big gigantic loving cyborg sectoid! A… mech-toid! I… I saw this thing in my vision! They’re tough! Blueshirts, hit the sectoids, and everyone else unload on the big fucker!
I’ll get the chrysalid!

Okay, okay, nothing to it…

Uhh… Hi.
Don’t look at it, just shoot it!

Chrysalid down!

Aww, man, it barely scratched that thing! They’re invincible! EEEEAAH!
Gah, SHUT UP!

I’m emptying the gun into it! poo poo this thing is tough!

Last sectoid down, for the moment!

I’m going in.
Bar-lev, this thing is dangerous, it has plasma cannons for arms!
Well, you know what it doesn’t have? ROCKET FISTS!

BOO-YA! I am a cyborg SLAUGHTERHOUSE!
You just punched him into the ceiling!
Yup. Back where he came from!

I think we got all the ones in this room.
I sense a bunch more coming through the cavern to the southeast. Be careful. Everyone reload your weapons.
Uhh… release button… safety on… new magazine…

Another telepathic sectoid. Let’s see if it can read the mind of my FIST!

RAAAH! drat, he’s still up!
I got it!

Great job! Now let’s keep an eye out for anything floating through the cavern.

Pffft! Gah! Dirt in my face!
There’s one digging down from the ceiling of the mech bay!
Then establish overwatch and get ready.

AAAAH! ZERG!
They’re chrysalids you dumbass.
They look more like Tyranids to me…
Just kill them NOW, or I’ll beat your zombiefied corpse to death with my bare hands.
Yes, ma’am!

What? Bullshit, I was zeroed in on him! ROOKIES, YOU DID THIS SOMEHOW!

Got one! That means I’m promoted, right? I get a bigger paycheck now!
Heh. We’ll see.

We all shot at the other one but it’s still coming! AAAAH! We’re ALL GONNA DIE!

Do I have to do everything?

There! Stop panicking.
THANK you.

Cavern’s dark, but I can hear something in the distance…
Hey, are you Cameron Watkins? That’s so cool! You know I played “I am Rubber, You are Glue?”
Heh, really? Cool!
Hey, we should become partners! You’re Cam, and I’ll be codenamed “Shaft!” We’ll be Camshaft!
Uh…

Had to rocket-boot my way up here. What’s up?
Look, I don’t think we need to consider each other best buddies since this is the first time we’ve met…
Aww, come on! Look, I’ll prove it! INCOMING!

Ha, wounded it! I’m a badass! See? See? Let me be part of the strike team!

Well I just killed a floater, a drone, and shot two of these drat disc things with REACTION FIRE while you were yapping.
Yeah, but now your gun’s empty. You need a partner!
What is your DEAL? Ahh, hell. FALL BACK!

I’m gonna blow up the floater and damage the disc! Grenade out!

I’ve got this one in my sights.

Disc down, I’m taking my second shot!

Target remains. I think it’s going to return fire, take cover!

Ohhh, this floor is caked in chrysalid blood. You can’t turn into a zombie by stepping in it, can you?
I-i-i dunno…
Calm down, rookies. You’re doing fine. The enemy is unfamiliar with the base layout, which means when they first appear they’ll be confused and unable to pick out targets. As long as we are in an elevated position we get first shots at everyone invading the mech bay.

The hell? It’s transforming! OWWWWWWW! gently caress!

Its armor is exposed like that! Take the shot!
On it!

Hell yeah. There’s only one super robot around here, and it’s ME.
Turn ME into a cyborg and I bet I could do that too!
Would you give it a rest?!

Mimi, get over here to the Mech Bay, we think that’s where the next aliens are coming from. And I need to patch you up.
There’s a hell of a lot of more aliens coming your way, squad. Heads up!
Huff… huff… that’s eighteen personel subdued…

To Be Continued…

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
This update made me laugh, the guards are just so...
What's the word I'm looking for.
Doofy? That's probably it.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Bradford's keeping busy.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
My only sadness from this mission was Rookie base guards who performed awesomely were not moved to the Strike roster.

That being said, I can't wait for more joy from the squad as they deal with this.

Also - where is Bradford getting recharges for the Arc Throwers? Even if he's dual-wielding, that only gives him four charges. And he's up to 18 people down. Including the guy he beat with his bare hands, that means a good four recharges at this point!

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009

berryjon posted:

My only sadness from this mission was Rookie base guards who performed awesomely were not moved to the Strike roster.

That being said, I can't wait for more joy from the squad as they deal with this.

Also - where is Bradford getting recharges for the Arc Throwers? Even if he's dual-wielding, that only gives him four charges. And he's up to 18 people down. Including the guy he beat with his bare hands, that means a good four recharges at this point!

Bandolier of Arc Throwers. He has 20 of them

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

berryjon posted:

I ate a Russian Glowcap and it charged up my batteries.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I can't believe you've only just met the Mechtoid. It's probably because it took forever for me to capture an outsider, but I was at a point where I'd regularly get 2 mechtoid/sectoid commander sets along with a muton berserker and his lackeys. e: BTW, this was before assaulting the alien base.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 11, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Ted_Haggard posted:

Bandolier of Arc Throwers. He has 20 of them

Alternatively, from his Secret Arc-Thrower Compartments. Dude scattered them all over the base, just in case, and the mind-controlled personnel can't find all of them.

Re: Mechtoids, this wasn't my first mission for them, but they weren't exactly common by this point. It's all on how quickly you do the alien base assault mission. If you get lucky with country panic levels then you won't need to do it until much later on in the game, but if you have several countries threatening to pull out (or a country at high panic that already has a satellite) then you need to rush it earlier. Otherwise there's not much reason to do the plot missions sooner rather than later.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Isn't there an upgrade for extra shots on the arc thrower?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

berryjon posted:

Seconded. Also redblueshirts that die don't get added to the memorial. One of my valiant disposable grenade deployers rookies got two kills and watched his buddy get reduced to a fine red mist by a Cyberdisk; to have all evidence of their involvement just up and vanish made me sad, a little. Poor Garcia. I will remember your sacrifice, even if the game couldn't give a poo poo.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Seconded. Also redblueshirts that die don't get added to the memorial. One of my valiant disposable grenade deployers rookies got two kills and watched his buddy get reduced to a fine red mist by a Cyberdisk; to have all evidence of their involvement just up and vanish made me sad, a little. Poor Garcia. I will remember your sacrifice, even if the game couldn't give a poo poo.

Garcia will live on in all our hearts.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

berryjon posted:

After the Arc Throwers powered down, he ripped power conduits out of the wall and flung them around like whips.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

akkristor posted:

After the Arc Throwers powered down, he ripped power conduits out of the wall and flung them around like whips.

NEW ART CHALLENGE!

Oh, and when Queen says that her shot missing was bullshit? No joke, it was a 98% chance to hit.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Speedball posted:

NEW ART CHALLENGE!

Oh, and when Queen says that her shot missing was bullshit? No joke, it was a 98% chance to hit.

That's bullshit, that should've hit.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

When I did this mission, I hit a Sectoid Commander who mind-controlled my Assault. This caused a blueshirt to panic and bunker down, which in turn caused another blueshirt to panic and shoot my (badly wounded and hiding in a corner) Heavy to death. :xcom:

Then I reloaded, because gently caress that noise.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
This update is Braford Redemption Zone, and I love it. :swoon:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

akkristor posted:

Speedball posted:

NEW ART CHALLENGE!

Have a lazy 'shop

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How much of the geometry in the base defense is destructible? I realize it's not actually going to do anything to the base but it'd be fun to see things go boom anyhow.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

How much of the geometry in the base defense is destructible? I realize it's not actually going to do anything to the base but it'd be fun to see things go boom anyhow.

Not TOO much, mostly just the walls you can use for low cover.

I don't know if there's anything that explodes when shot.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
On the other hand, if you shoot through the holographic globe, it does a cool little dissolve -> reform animation.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

On the other hand, if you shoot through the holographic globe, it does a cool little dissolve -> reform animation.

Yeah, you can see this in the Bar-Lev Super Punch screenshot.

I actually had a problem with that, the first time I captured the image of that the lighting effects were covering up the punchtastic effects so it looked like everything was covered in blue.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know I never actually let my mech punch a mechtoid, I had always kept them equipped with the flamethrower because it ruins EXALT freaks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The flamethrower is pretty nice, but punching is absolutely a solid option. It's a guaranteed (100% hit rate) 12 damage against everything except Sectopods and their loving 50% global damage reduction. You can upgrade it to 18 damage (so, 9 against Sectopods). It gives your mechs an extra 3 movement. And it's a way to destroy cover/walls/etc. that doesn't use up ammo, so that's occasionally handy too.

Plus, there's nothing quite like the joy of punching an EXALT operative through a truck.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

The flamethrower is pretty nice, but punching is absolutely a solid option. It's a guaranteed (100% hit rate) 12 damage against everything except Sectopods and their loving 50% global damage reduction. You can upgrade it to 18 damage (so, 9 against Sectopods). It gives your mechs an extra 3 movement. And it's a way to destroy cover/walls/etc. that doesn't use up ammo, so that's occasionally handy too.

Plus, there's nothing quite like the joy of punching an EXALT operative through a truck.

Well, there's punching an EXALT operative off of a roof.

Zylo the Wolfbane
Mar 21, 2013

The ability to punch through cover is REALLY useful. Especially in the Site Recon Chryssalid mission. Punch all the sharks that Chryssalids can pop out of while moving up to the ship, keeps them from jumping out and murdering your people on the way back.

Sure, it's slower than grenades and rockets, but it also doesn't use up your grenades and rockets. So, fair trade.

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms

Zylo the Wolfbane posted:

The ability to punch through cover is REALLY useful. Especially in the Site Recon Chryssalid mission. Punch all the sharks that Chryssalids can pop out of while moving up to the ship, keeps them from jumping out and murdering your people on the way back.

Sure, it's slower than grenades and rockets, but it also doesn't use up your grenades and rockets. So, fair trade.

Or you can just do that mission with a team of Hover SHIVs, which is still the funniest thing ever to drag into a mission comprised solely of enemies who can only attack in melee.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

No, there's nothing like the joy of rocket punching ALL Thin Men.
gently caress Thin Men.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Why are you guys including qualifiers?

Rocket Punches are a joy in of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
It's just a shame there isn't a gun that fires rocket fists, the bane of all the aliens.

• Locked thread