Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'd like to see this thread continue too. The translation team of Orenronen + Fedule does marvelously well, and I enjoy the goon discussions in this thread very much. While it seems that the official translation will probably be decent enough, an LP translation has the ability to be more detailed and to go into cultural notes at times. And official translations existing or not, the tone of this one is perfect, and there's no way I'll ever lose the feeling of "Orenronen's translation is the original and the best!".

I'm very pleased to hear that DR2 will be released in English, though. The idea of buying a new, expensive video game console just for the sake of one game was distasteful, and I'd more or less discarded it. If there are going to be two games eventually, it's something worth considering buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's coming out for Vita or something, right? Because the only portable gaming setup I have is my phone and iPad. Unless it's coming there, this thread's still my only way to get my Dangan Ronpas, and I'd like to see it continue as long as Oren's still up for it (and not given a cease and desist or anything, which I highly doubt is coming).

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I can't even play the American releases of DR1 or 2, since I have no PSVita and no money or real desire to get a PSVita, and I'm sure that's at least part of the case with a lot of other people reading the LP as well. I for one would like to see the LP continue. I haven't read any others because I value all the effort you guys put into it (i also enjoy reading the speculation to a point) so this is my only avenue for seeing SDR2.
This is all assuming that the screenshot is real, that is. I can't imagine they would localize the second game without seeing the sales of the first.

Jefepato
Mar 11, 2009

This?! This is a glorious dance! That has been passed down! In my family for generations!
My copy of DR1 just showed up in the mail today. I'm definitely buying DR2 immediately if it gets localized. I'd still like to see this thread continue; it's really interesting to see the Oren/Fedule interpretation of the game and characters.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Anatharon posted:

For what it's worth I appreciate the LP because it's helping me with my Japanese. Translating is hard.

I would suggest not if you intend on playing it. It's one of those games that's much better the second time when you can understand the reasons for things, notice clues that are obvious in hindsight but impossibly hard to notice the first time, etc.

Alright then actually, is the first game like this at all?

Brewsuke
Jan 8, 2014

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm more interested in seeing the translation this team comes up with than the official one, personally.

Especially since they literally translated 'kuro' and 'shiro' from the school trials. I know, and you probably know the actual cultural meaning behind it, but the way they phrased it in the trailer it sounded like a racially biased trial system. You know, like in real life!
Plus, Monobear sounds kinda like a robot. Which I guess makes sense, but why bother with realism in a setting like Dangan Ronpa's? He's literally a mascot for despair.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Austrian mook posted:

Alright then actually, is the first game like this at all?

A little, but not nearly as much. I mean, I beat the game after I read the LP and I still enjoyed it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

CuppaGodot posted:

The thing about Saionji feeling safe around her killer is actually something that right now isn't just unlikely, but completely impossible. She was absolutely paranoid that everyone was infected with Despair Fever except her (possibly because she was infected? Who knows at this point) but was apparently (by way of the key on her person) sneaking around so as to avoid everyone.

TKMobile posted:

Okay, while I like your coverage of the rest of the threads of this case, this bothers me. Because while you don't discount it outright, Saionji planning to murder someone by herself is still the only thing that makes sense for her to have been doing.

You may be right. The biggest reason why I'm not a fan of the "Saionji was planning to commit murder" theory - even if it is the most plausible right now isn't based on any evidence. It's because I think that's too similar to the first case where Hanamura saw someone planning a murder, and made an attempt on the life of the killer. It's a meta reason, and so I admit that it's flimsy as hell.

The only evidence that supports me is the careful work that went into hiding Saionji's body doesn't seem to have come from someone unprepared to kill, someone who just happened to walk in on Saionji planning a killing. I don't think there's enough information on Saionji's activities to come to a conclusion yet. We need more evidence related to why she left her room.

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
Count me among those who would continue following this thread even if DR is officially translated.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's almost like there are still LPs of games in English.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

curiousCat posted:

The point is that oren's translation is unique and has interesting cultural notes specific to this translation, not to mention the long wait if someone wants to LP the English version.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, I'd still love to see a full translation in oren and Fedule's style, no matter how good NISA's is. Without oren's first LP, the fandom wouldn't even hardly exist outside of Japan. I'm always going to personally consider his work a bit more "official" than the official English release.

From what little I've seen of Trigger Happy Havoc, it does seem like they're doing a pretty good job. But I just know I'm going to miss the hell out of Fedule's Gundam dialogue.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Urban Wizard posted:

The point is that oren's translation is unique and has interesting cultural notes specific to this translation, not to mention the long wait if someone wants to LP the English version.

My point is that there's no reason to stop the LP either way, I'll still be reading it. Lots of people will.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

curiousCat posted:

My point is that there's no reason to stop the LP either way, I'll still be reading it. Lots of people will.

Oh, I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. My bad!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.

Bifauxnen posted:

From what little I've seen of Trigger Happy Havoc, it does seem like they're doing a pretty good job. But I just know I'm going to miss the hell out of Fedule's Gundam dialogue.

Oh god I didn't even think of Gundam's supervillain dialogue. Now the LP has to continue.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Bifauxnen posted:

FWIW, I've only seen the THH's prologue on Youtube but it reads very much like what I imagine a Fedule-edited version of the LP would. I mean, sure - there are lines here and there I would do differently, but it's very well written and seems to share my own translation sensibilities. It certainly has better prose than my early attempts at unedited, non-native translation.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
E: nvm, I'm confused

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 12, 2014

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Austrian mook posted:

Oren, have you posted your thoughts on the official DR1 translation?

Either I'm misreading or you need to look directly above your post.

NobbytheSheep
Sep 2, 2011
I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour, but heaven knows I'm miserable now
I'm surprised they got Kyle Hebert to do Souda - I would have thought he'd be doing someone like Nidai or Gundam, one of the more OTT characters.

And yes, please do continue with your LP. I like what you've done so far, and I do a bit of translation work myself so it's always interesting reading translators' notes. Also, Gundam's supervillain dialogue cracks me up. He's definitely my favourite character, along with Nanami and Sonia.

As for Saionji, I don't think she did it - someone as arseholish as her just seems far too obvious. I wonder why she left her room, though, given how paranoid she was about getting Despair Fever.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Half the fun of it is the thread (and the rampant speculation therein), and oren and Fedule's comments. That's what makes the whole thing special, so I would hate to see all that go away. Speaking of rampant speculation, who wants to talk about murders? :v:

The reason I'm even suspecting Saionji in the first place is her disheveled clothes and backwards obi. How'd it get in that state? If it got that way from struggling with the killer, I'd expect there to be a lot more blood on her clothes, and the Monobear file explicitly tells us she died quickly. She still has her key, so unless the killer dressed her up in her outfit and nestled the key way deep in there somehow, she was carrying the key around the whole time and still had it when she died, which makes me think she left her room voluntarily for some reason or another. By the way, I wonder if the game is going to show us the inside of her room... if that place is a bloody mess, whelp, we've got ourselves a brand new crime scene.

Maybe Saionji has been dead way longer than we think... she could've died ages ago, shortly after locking herself in her room.

OmegaCake
May 5, 2010

Let's say you and I go back to my room and jack in.
Well, if it makes any difference, I bought Dangan Ronpa for my Vita even though I saw the entire LP. Figured it was only the polite thing to do to support more of the games coming out. The translation is...much better than I expected, really, and I don't want to punch any of the voice actors in the face except Yamada...so all in all, I'd say it's good that they're going to localize the second. And as for continuing the LP...I'd say go for it. One, anyone who wants to support the localization will do it REGARDLESS of an LP being made, and two, far as I know, not too many people have PS Vitas, so they wouldn't be able to experience it.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Please continue, orenronen. Even if I some day get a Vita, I'll still think of your take on the first game as the real deal.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Delurking to say that I will totally continue to read this LP official translation or not. Your notes and little asides make this incredibly entertaining to read. Even with an official translation, because of you and fedule this LP will be unique.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

orenronen posted:

FWIW, I've only seen the THH's prologue on Youtube but it reads very much like what I imagine a Fedule-edited version of the LP would. I mean, sure - there are lines here and there I would do differently, but it's very well written and seems to share my own translation sensibilities. It certainly has better prose than my early attempts at unedited, non-native translation.

I was actually wondering what you'd have thought of "Genocide Jack" and "Genocide Jill".

curiousCat posted:

Difference is that most of those are LP's of the English versions, and not the LP'er translating an alternative to an already, English released title. I mean, why translate it when there's already an English translation?

(I'd still rather that it continues like it has been, by the way. I'm not debating it to stop.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

curiousCat posted:

Only possible issue I can think of is the Three Month Rule.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Prison Warden posted:

Only possible issue I can think of is the Three Month Rule.
He's playing the Japanese version of the PSP game though. I'm not sure that rule would apply in this case.

Really, the only barrier to continuing I see is whether it's worth it to the dudes doing all the hard work on this meaty project if it's just going to come out in English and therefore be a lot easier, and a lot smaller a project for someone in comparison. And if in the end, they deem it's not worth the effort to do the last few chapters, full respect to them. It's a large undertaking that has to be sapping up a lot of free time in their lives.

I'm cool with following this through to the end if they decide to go that way as well.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Honestly, I think the people who are going to buy it will buy it and the people who won't won't. I don't see Oren's translation having a negative impact on sales -- if anything he's probably going to sell more copies of the game. I know I'm going to grab a vita and copies of DR1 and DR2 when I can afford them because of this thread. I think if anyone's not going to buy a copy of the game, Oren stopping would just lead them to read another translation.

I like reading DR along with other goons, though, so I'm biased.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Bean posted:

Honestly, I think the people who are going to buy it will buy it and the people who won't won't. I don't see Oren's translation having a negative impact on sales -- if anything he's probably going to sell more copies of the game. I know I'm going to grab a vita and copies of DR1 and DR2 when I can afford them because of this thread. I think if anyone's not going to buy a copy of the game, Oren stopping would just lead them to read another translation.
I don't own a Vita, and I totally got my hands on a copy. I've been watching this project for too long to go, "Oh hey it's actually released in the US? Thanks, but I already played it via forum."

OmegaCake posted:

Well, if it makes any difference, I bought Dangan Ronpa for my Vita even though I saw the entire LP. Figured it was only the polite thing to do to support more of the games coming out. The translation is...much better than I expected, really, and I don't want to punch any of the voice actors in the face except Yamada...so all in all, I'd say it's good that they're going to localize the second. And as for continuing the LP...I'd say go for it. One, anyone who wants to support the localization will do it REGARDLESS of an LP being made, and two, far as I know, not too many people have PS Vitas, so they wouldn't be able to experience it.
Well, I'd hope the translation is good. You have to remember that in this case we're talking about professional translators, not whatever the hell people on the internet tend to think they are. Even if you disagree with specific translation decisions, it should still be a good job.

Echoing that the translation, LP, and thread should continue. I mean, this is a multiyear project and I don't think NISA cares. Stopping in the middle of the game just feels so wrong.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

orenronen posted:

FWIW, I've only seen the THH's prologue on Youtube but it reads very much like what I imagine a Fedule-edited version of the LP would.

Aww.

But seriously though, what I'm seeing of the official localization (given that it's not out in EU until Friday) has been pretty great, and it's sounding like - one very questionable translation choice aside (the blackened?!) - they've done an amazing job that almost justifies the loss of all the fun I was having doing it myself. I was skeptical after the first trailer (the loving blackened?!) and the English dub is thoroughly ehhh but it was unwarranted and there's dual audio.

(seriously I was even writing slightly snarky tutorial dialogue that probably would've been nixed eventually but hey)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I take it that "the blackened" is the term used for the culprit?

CuppaGodot
Sep 25, 2007
Destiny is bitter today

Fedule posted:

Aww.

But seriously though, what I'm seeing of the official localization (given that it's not out in EU until Friday) has been pretty great, and it's sounding like - one very questionable translation choice aside (the blackened?!) - they've done an amazing job that almost justifies the loss of all the fun I was having doing it myself. I was skeptical after the first trailer (the loving blackened?!) and the English dub is thoroughly ehhh but it was unwarranted and there's dual audio.

(seriously I was even writing slightly snarky tutorial dialogue that probably would've been nixed eventually but hey)

They probably wanted to highlight the whole black/white motif in the trial. It does stand out really awkwardly, but with the main villain being a black/white bear with the black side being all menacing. Still really awkward.

The English dub isn't all that terrible, but you're coming from a Japanese niche game that spent most of its budget on the vocal talent from the looks of the cast list into a market where these kinds of games already struggle to find a niche. I don't have any personal preference between languages except that I like being able to understand what characters are saying and some of the acting has actually been okay so far while some of it has been pretty... well... dire. Makoto especially. Oh how dire he is.

Yeah, I still don't get blackened either. It seems like they had to really stretch that one out to make it work.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I take it that "the blackened" is the term used for the culprit?

They should have used white sheep, black sheep instead or something. Hrm.

Knicknevin
Jul 2, 2013

Fedule posted:

Aww.

I was pretty dubious about Genocide Jack/Jill also, and it kind of bugs me that they called it 'Robo Justice' when you can clearly hear the (Japanese) VA's saying 'Justice Robo' (which makes more sense and also sounds better anyway...), but aside from a few... differences in interpretation that vary widely among the various groups and individuals that have tackled it (Super Duper, really? I liked most what Project Zetsubou's did but...), a solid job was done.

The only real tragedy is that a few more cultural jokes and references got pushed under the rug, but you can't get all the nifty translation notes and the like in that format, so it's a necessary evil. That, and the fact that it's hard not to be creeped out listening to Naegi talk, knowing the same VA does Komaeda...

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Knicknevin posted:

That, and the fact that it's hard not to be creeped out listening to Naegi talk, knowing the same VA does Komaeda...

I'm personally hella pumped for this because Naegi's English VA does Henry in Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely couldn't have thought of a better voice for Komaeda than that guy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Fedule posted:

(the blackened?!)

To begin whipping dance of the dead. Blackened is the end. :colbert:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

alcharagia posted:

I'm personally hella pumped for this because Naegi's English VA does Henry in Fire Emblem: Awakening and I absolutely couldn't have thought of a better voice for Komaeda than that guy.

Personally, I only hear Zidane from Final Fantasy Dissidia.

So if I ever get the system for DR1, I'm just going to be wondering why Naegi doesn't just Grand Lethal Monobear instead of dealing with his BS.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

HelloWinter posted:

They should have used white sheep, black sheep instead or something. Hrm.

Monobear or not they should've avoided that analogy all together. "Whites looking for the black" is kinda dicey for NA, period. :v:

Maybe Monobear's just a racist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering they couldn't change Monokuma's name due to requests from the home company, they were probably stuck with keeping black/white to keep with his coloring.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they couldn't change Monokuma's name due to requests from the home company, they were probably stuck with keeping black/white to keep with his coloring.

CuppaGodot posted:

They probably wanted to highlight the whole black/white motif in the trial. It does stand out really awkwardly, but with the main villain being a black/white bear with the black side being all menacing. Still really awkward.

I don't remember the cultural notes for this one too well, but isn't it just a pretty straightforward way to say "guilty"? I thought it wasn't any special unusual metaphor that was put in on purpose cause of Monobear, it was just a way they would naturally say that in Japanese, in a trial context. Is that right, oren? It's not like they even emphasize the contrast at all by mentioning white.

Other than that, one change I was surprised to actually like was their use of "ultimate" instead of SHSL. I mean, I do still miss the term Super High-School Level. But when I'm reading through it, Naegi saying ultimate this and that all over the place does flow really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Blackened” is just bad. I had to look up what it referred to because it doesn’t mean anything to me on its own. It’s not even a noun.

Bifauxnen posted:

Other than that, one change I was surprised to actually like was their use of "ultimate" instead of SHSL. I mean, I do still miss the term Super High-School Level. But when I'm reading through it, Naegi saying ultimate this and that all over the place does flow really well.

I’ve always been partial to “Super High Level” It works as a superlative, and many countries have junior high school, often shortened to “junior high”. “High school” itself isn’t shortened like that, but close enough.

• Locked thread