Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
S

BloodBag posted:

*taps mic*

Guys? Blue Story's back. Get over there right now, she's in goon doctor.

Here's a tidbit...

To nobody's great surprise...

Fly, you fools
So I assume this means she is real(ly fat)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BloodBag posted:

*taps mic*

Guys? Blue Story's back. Get over there right now, she's in goon doctor.

Here's a tidbit...

To nobody's great surprise...

Fly, you fools

What does stalking posters around the forums have to do with BWM?

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

cowofwar posted:

S

Uh well she claims she is only slightly overweight. Like 140 or something. I am suspicious. No pictures to confirm

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Barry posted:

What does stalking posters around the forums have to do with BWM?

Thread was bookmarked for me, not stalking. Read that thread. Star wars toys before prenatal doctors appointments seems pretty bad with money to me

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BloodBag posted:

Thread was bookmarked for me, not stalking. Read that thread. Star wars toys before prenatal doctors appointments seeing a shrink seems pretty bad with money to me

Ftfy

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

just leave her alone so maybe the kid doesn't loving die.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

cowofwar posted:

S

About half of women with gestational diabetes are overweight (BMI >25)

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I'm just observing, not going to touch the poop this time. I just figured we could take a break from wedding/gas/college sports and watch some bad with money happening in real time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

I'm just observing, not going to touch the poop this time. I just figured we could take a break from wedding/gas/college sports and watch some bad with money happening in real time.

More like 'being trolled, again"

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Whatever, it's a good ride and I've got my ticket right here. Let's go around again!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

About half of women with gestational diabetes are overweight (BMI >25)
Yes but both are fat and useless consumption nerds with mental disorders.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Can we get some quotes every now and again? I can't handle going in that thread but I enjoy the schadenfreude.

cowofwar posted:

Yes but both are fat and useless consumption nerds with mental disorders.
Pretty much.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I don't think I ever saw this posted in this thread, but yoooooooo:

Kasan posted:

Edit: Crisis has passed, pasta was made, and a new month looms. Stick around for the hobby shaming on page 2.

So it's the end of the month, and I have one of those households where the end of the month is usually the point where it's time to tighten up the belt a notch or two. This month has probably been the worst in recent memory (due largely in part to poor budgeting from my wife and I's hobbies) and the belt has already been cinched as tight as it will go. My pantry is pretty barren right now and I have pretty much nothing.

But! I have the bare basics to make a vat of pasta to last three days til payday. Frozen ground beef (2lbs/1kg 85/15, 1lb/500g 75/25), several pounds of spaghetti/angel hair, ziti, rigatoni, penne and macaroni. The issue I am having, is I have a large can of crushed tomatoes (Hunt's Crushed Tomatoes with Basil - 1lb 12oz / 794g), and that's pretty much it. I need to turn that can of tomatoes into a pasta sauce that isn't going to taste like watered down tomato.

A non-exhaustive list of my kitchen contents:

Spices (All dried unless otherwise noted):
Salt, Seasoned Salt, Sea Salt, Pink Salt, Black Salt
Pepper, Cracked Pepper Grinder, Fresh Peppercorns, Long Pepper, Grains of Paradise, White Pepper
Crushed Red Pepper, Ground Cayenne Pepper, Chiptole (Powder and bouillon), Habanero (Fresh), Carolina Reaper (Fresh, no I'm not putting this in the sauce, my wife can't eat spicy food. I make candy out of them)
Curry Powder, Bird's Eye Curry Powder, Tumeric, Cumin, Mustard (Powder), Mustard (Prepared), Powdered Ginger, Asefoteta
Basil, Italian Seasoning Blend, Bay Leaf, Lavender (Fresh in my garden), Mint (Fresh in my garden), Marjoram, Crushed Cilantro, Crushed Thyme (I think. I didn't see it on first look but I'm pretty sure I have it.)
Dried Onion Flakes, Garlic Powder, Onion Salt, Garlic Salt
Fennel Seed, Celery Seed
Ground Nutmeg, Whole Clove, Ground Allspice, Madagascar Vanilla Beans, Alum, Pickling Spice
Old Bay, McCormick's: Rotisserie Chicken, Caribbean Jerk, Montreal Steak House Grinder
Around 100 different Teas, some instant coffee

Oils:
Canola, Coconut, Sesame, Grapeseed, Rapeseed, Peanut, Safflower, Olive (Light and Virgin and probably both not real olive oil), Lard (This poo poo is the bomb on toast)

Alcohols:
Marsala, Dry Sherry, Golden Sherry, Sherry, Dark Horse Cab, Biltmore Estate White Zin, 1 other white wine that I don't recall off the top of my head.
Sam Adams Winter Ale & Cold Snap, A about a cup of Ten Fidy Imperial Stout that I think went stale, Dragon's Milk Whiskey Stout, Wild Blue Blueberry Lager
Some Whiskey, Raspberry Vodka, Moonshine (the real stuff, somewhere around 175 proof), other various Liqours you shouldn't put in a pasta sauce.

Grains and Grain Like:
Whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, almond flour, spelt flour, rye flour, golden flaxseed meal, Buckwheat flour, oat flour, barley flour, corn meal, Corn starch

Equipment:
1.5 cup food processor, hand mixer missing half it's attachments (so only 1 blade (which works for most things)), mortar and pestle, hammer

Other:
Sugar, Simple Syrup, About a cup of heavy cream, some "flavor boost" vegetable stock packets, "better than bouillon" beef and chicken stocks (which I used once and they've been in my fridge for... longer than I remember.) I might have an egg or two depending on if they last forever in a fridge or not (They're probably at least 3-4 months old. Bought them for a bread recipe and only used 3 of the 6). An unopened jug of tomato juice that's been in my fridge for 2 months that I found hidden behind the beer.

If I didn't list it, I don't have. (No fresh veg beyond some chili peppers, no other "normal" pantry staples, no butter (used the last of it a few days ago)). Caveat: I might have a spice not listed, but I know I do not have rosemary or sage (except what's in the premixed Italian seasoning).

So GWS: Help me make a pasta sauce. You don't need to get super technical with measurements (I'm not even sure I own anything smaller than a 1 cup measure beyond a standard spoon) or cooking times. I'm actually pretty competent in the kitchen and am comfortable with culinary terms and processes like reducing; I just have very little experience with sauces from scratch that aren't a curry. Most of my attempts have ended in... not exactly a failure, but not a success; and at the time I had a much fuller larder. Looking to cook around 6 hours from this post, so if it's after 10pm EST, I've already started cooking and responses will be considered advice for next time.

Libelous Slander posted:

*Has 10 different types of cooking oil among two people, which you most likely cannot consume before some of it goes rancid and is an oddity unless the cook often prepares large batches of food*

"honey, we are having trouble making ends meet again. maybe we can just cut meat of the equation this month?"

Libelous Slander posted:

"Dear, we really need to cut back. Due to routinely cooking food for 80 other people and never charging a dime, we'll need to leverage the house."

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Holy poo poo, I hope that's fake. He blames his problems on only getting paid once a month, talk about missing the forest for the trees.

From deeper in the thread:

Leroy Diplowski posted:

SCA is an expensive hobby that seems to attract people who can't afford it. I used to work with a guy who was trying to stay involved in SCA while working various min wage jobs. He ended up losing said jobs and pretty much ending up homeless from a combination of missing work to go to SCA events and spending all of his money on bat-swords and mead. Someone in the SCA community bought him a trailer.

When I knew him he would routinely get his power shut off to the point where everything in his fridge spoiled. Rather than clean it out he simply locked the fridge and began to eat fast food for every meal. During this time he bought some sort of hand hewn bow for hundreds of dollars. I think the trailer park ended up kicking him out for letting his trailer go derelict.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Oh sweet mercy Jesus, SCA would fill 300 BWM threads, though I guess it can be good with money too - I dated a girl who had a cottage in North Park San Diego for 800 a month because the owners were SCA buddies.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope that's fake. He blames his problems on only getting paid once a month, talk about missing the forest for the trees.

From deeper in the thread:

If he lived in the actual middle ages he would have gone broke from spending all his money on togas and garum.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

pig slut lisa posted:

I don't think I ever saw this posted in this thread, but yoooooooo:

My cupboards are bare, all I have to survive on for the next three days is three pounds of ground beef, 5 pounds of pasta and a large can of tomatoes. But also I have 10 kinds of oil, 10 kinds of flour, 15 kinds of alcohol, 100 kinds of tea and 50+ spices. drat, I wonder how I ended up with no money to spend on real food.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

My cupboards are bare, all I have to survive on for the next three days is three pounds of ground beef, 5 pounds of pasta and a large can of tomatoes. But also I have 10 kinds of oil, 10 kinds of flour, 15 kinds of alcohol, 100 kinds of tea and 50+ spices. drat, I wonder how I ended up with no money to spend on real food.
OP disappears early on in the thread. I wish they'd stick around some more :(. Even with the lack of any vegetables, he could easily survive 3 days with that food, it's a lot of carbs there. Also flour + herbs + oil = zatar pizza. Also how much does a tin of tomato costs? Not a lot... so he doesnt even have money for THAT floating around the house.

Humbebrag: It's one of the reasons why I always never skimp on grocery shopping, if something's on special buy 2 of those!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Magic Underwear posted:

I thought having 2 kinds of Ms Dash was being fancy.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Suspicious Lump posted:

OP disappears early on in the thread. I wish they'd stick around some more :(. Even with the lack of any vegetables, he could easily survive 3 days with that food, it's a lot of carbs there. Also flour + herbs + oil = zatar pizza. Also how much does a tin of tomato costs? Not a lot... so he doesnt even have money for THAT floating around the house.

Humbebrag: It's one of the reasons why I always never skimp on grocery shopping, if something's on special buy 2 of those!

I don't know what the hell zatar is but pizza is pretty much just flour and water.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

I don't know what the hell zatar is but pizza is pretty much just flour and water.
Mediterranean/middle eastern spice mix.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Not a Children posted:

getting paid once a month

Having a monthly paycheck unironically owns.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Gold and a Pager posted:

Having a monthly paycheck unironically owns.

No it doesn't. Back when I used to substitute teach, a friend got a long term gig in a 1st grade classroom. But she got hired at such a time in the pay period that she didn't get her first paycheck for 5 weeks. Getting paid once a month loving sucks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It literally doesn't matter at all after the first paycheck how often you get paid. Unless you'll go broke without liquid cash in a couple weeks in which case you're BWM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

It literally doesn't matter at all after the first paycheck how often you get paid. Unless you'll go broke without liquid cash in a couple weeks in which case you're BWM.

It does matter, if you're putting money into interest-bearing savings or other investments, but not very much. :spergin:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Every other week is the one that really sucks. You get two months out of the year with an odd number of pay checks, making it impossible to make a nice simple monthly budget without having to carry over funds for months on end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

blugu64 posted:

Every other week is the one that really sucks. You get two months out of the year with an odd number of pay checks, making it impossible to make a nice simple monthly budget without having to carry over funds for months on end.

What? Why does this make a monthly budget hard? You have your yearly salary/takehome, divide by 12, that's your monthly. Again, unless you're living month to month.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Not a Children posted:

Being paid monthly is standard for any non-manual job in the UK (and I suspect most other European countries). We all generally seem to manage OK.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

silvergoose posted:

What? Why does this make a monthly budget hard? You have your yearly salary/takehome, divide by 12, that's your monthly. Again, unless you're living month to month.

Not hard, just annoying to have spare cash you have to keep separate for months on end. Just in case you missed the nuance, bi weekly means that for a person grossing 120k per year will for 10 months out of the year make 9,230, and two months out of the year 13,846, instead of a nice flat 10,000 per month. It's not a problem, per se, but it's annoying that all the months aren't the same, and you can't setup automatic transfers without having to manual adjust them every so often.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, but...I guess this is a problem for people who use specific software? I mean, if you're creating a monthly budget out of a spreadsheet, you're just putting an average monthly number in, why would you care which months get more money in the account?

Anyway this is a stupid thing to discuss in bwm, sorry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Being paid monthly has significant payroll advantages for employers.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also how much does a tin of tomato costs? Not a lot... so he doesnt even have money for THAT floating around the house.

Read more closely: he already has a large can of tomatoes, he posted the thread because he needs help turning tomatoes into marinara sauce.

He owns five loving types of salt, ten cooking oils, and ten types of flour, but he couldn't figure out how to make tomato sauce out of tomatoes.

I want to call fake, but stranger, sadder things have happened.

blugu64 posted:

Not hard, just annoying to have spare cash you have to keep separate for months on end. Just in case you missed the nuance, bi weekly means that for a person grossing 120k per year will for 10 months out of the year make 9,230, and two months out of the year 13,846, instead of a nice flat 10,000 per month. It's not a problem, per se, but it's annoying that all the months aren't the same, and you can't setup automatic transfers without having to manual adjust them every so often.

:shrug: I just budget for 2 paychecks a month, and twice a year I get extra savings dumped in my lap.

If you really need to squeeze that last 1/13th of your income into your monthly spending you are probably BWM (especially if you're grossing 120k on a single income.)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I'm actually pretty excited that I'm getting a triple paycheck December this year, that extra dosh is covering my holiday spending. It's a nice little bonus.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

It works itself out, but if you're starting a new job from a state of unemployment, waiting 4 to 6 weeks for your first paycheck is brutal. It's just odd how education is one of those few industries that still pays you like it's 1884 and you're teaching in an one-room schoolhouse.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If pay schedule affects your life in any way then you are probably BWM. No emergency fund or inability to control spending leading to living paycheque to paycheque.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
If he could come up with a whole $0.88 he could buy a small can of tomato paste and BOOM - pasta sauce-ta.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Not a Children posted:

I'm actually pretty excited that I'm getting a triple paycheck December this year, that extra dosh is covering my holiday spending. It's a nice little bonus.

Costa Rica has an extra month of salary payable in December coded into law. They call it aguinaldo.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

The Mandingo posted:

If he could come up with a whole $0.88 he could buy a small can of tomato paste and BOOM - pasta sauce-ta.

no he needs to be frugal and use a couple bucks worth of electricity to reduce tomato sauce down to a paste

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Being paid monthly has significant payroll advantages for employers.

What is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Probably that they only have to process payroll once a month.

• Locked thread