Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zzulu posted:

13 hours of captivating TV is kind of hard to do

There are lots of shows that are able to do it. Hell, some shows can make 22 hours of captivating TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!

Hakkesshu posted:

How. Dude could not act his way out of a paper bag.

He's not amazing, but he's got great presence and some charm

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

There are lots of shows that are able to do it. Hell, some shows can make 22 hours of captivating TV!

The numerological properties of a 13-episode season make it resistant to consistently good writing. Why can't you people understand that the number of episodes is intimately related to how good those things are? Like, if you try to make four pies in as many days, you just won't be able to make all of them good. Do you want bad pie? Because doing numbers of pies sequentially is how you get bad pie.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
It’s not that there’s something impossible about the episode count, but in practice the 13-heavily-serialized/bingable hours model they’re stuck with is consistently resulting in a lot of frustrating filler. Would be better either to tailor the length to the story, or have more standalones.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
It's a combination of bad writing/bad production management in conjunction with an excessive episode count. And a short episode count did not save Defenders as was pointed out in another post.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Omnomnomnivore posted:

It’s not that there’s something impossible about the episode count, but in practice the 13-heavily-serialized/bingable hours model they’re stuck with is consistently resulting in a lot of frustrating filler. Would be better either to tailor the length to the story, or have more standalones.

More pods, the way AoS does it, would be ideal. Daredevil season 2 and Luke Cage season 1 attempted this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Maybe just hire good writers.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe just hire good writers.

There aren't enough good writers to write 13 good episodes. 13 episodes is excessive because it exceeds the number of good writers in the world. And no, good writers are unable to write more than one episode. There are treaties and policies that prevent writers from being paid to write more than one thing.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Maybe, instead of making bad television, Netflix should make gooder television, instead. I'm Aphrodite, and this has been my Nuclear Hot Take for the afternoon

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You're all going the wrong way. Think of it this way instead: right now they do 13 episode seasons and let's say they have 1-2 really good episodes per season.

That means they just need to have a 113 episode season and you'll get roughly 13 good episodes out of it!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Maybe, instead of making bad television, Netflix should make gooder television, instead. I'm Aphrodite, and this has been my Nuclear Hot Take for the afternoon

Maybe just hire a good writer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

By that logic since Damon Lindelof can never pull off a full TV season without some bad episodes that drag but still manages to have many real good episodes, his movie writing credits must be amazing.

Leftovers Season 3, :cmon:

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Saint Freak posted:

You're all going the wrong way. Think of it this way instead: right now they do 13 episode seasons and let's say they have 1-2 really good episodes per season.

That means they just need to have a 113 episode season and you'll get roughly 13 good episodes out of it!

this might actually be Netflix's game plan

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hakkesshu posted:

How. Dude could not act his way out of a paper bag.

Bullshit. He was perfectly fine for the role and one of the high points of the series. He wasn't great but he wasn't Finn/Iron Fist levels of bad nor Cox/D'Onofrio/Bernthal levels of kick rear end either.

Luke Cage was good.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Netflix hit to miss ratio is pretty good. I'm happy with the service and have been for 5 years or so.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 20, 2018

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
edit: double post

Svensken
May 29, 2010
What if they tell the showrunners they're doing a 13 episode season, but then they cut out the bad ones.

This plan is foolproof and nothing can possibly go wrong with it. :colbert:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Just do some single episode "Specials" or Straight-to-VH...Netflix movies.

Power-Man and Iron Fist punch some dudes - The movie.

Jessica's worst day... this week

Daredevil vs. Bullseye

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Like a year ago I was bombarded with Iron Fist ads on youtube. It looked like total garbage and the ads were extremely annoying, so I recently checked it out to confirm my suspicions. Aside from bargain bin Keanu Reeves, who I thought was really good, the series was incredibly bad.

Now I'm being brasted with Cloak and Dagger ads on youtube, another apparent wretched pile of garbage. Unfortunately (?) I can't find it on Netflix, so instead I'm watching this Defenders thing.

This is truly awful. I'm getting the sense out of this and Iron Fist (and the Cloak and Dagger ads) that all of these Marvel things are in a competition to see which one can suck the most.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gortarius posted:

Like a year ago I was bombarded with Iron Fist ads on youtube. It looked like total garbage and the ads were extremely annoying, so I recently checked it out to confirm my suspicions. Aside from bargain bin Keanu Reeves, who I thought was really good, the series was incredibly bad.

Now I'm being brasted with Cloak and Dagger ads on youtube, another apparent wretched pile of garbage. Unfortunately (?) I can't find it on Netflix, so instead I'm watching this Defenders thing.

This is truly awful. I'm getting the sense out of this and Iron Fist (and the Cloak and Dagger ads) that all of these Marvel things are in a competition to see which one can suck the most.

Cloak and Dagger is on FreeForm (formerly ABC Family)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Luke Cage had some absolutely amazing songs that I'd never heard before, at least in the first half. I really hope there's some conceit for Harlem Paradise being heavily involved in Season 2 so we get the music back.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Proteus Jones posted:

Cloak and Dagger is on FreeForm (formerly ABC Family)

And it's good. Not action-y but solid drama and interesting characters.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Gortarius posted:

The only good thing about Defenders is that it's over faster.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
The only good thing about Defenders is casting an actress as good as Sigourney Weaver, wasting her completely on bad material, then revealing she doesn't loving matter at all

It's art

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well that and the RTJ fight scene, but that fight scene muted is only somewhat serviceable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

Well that and the RTJ fight scene, but that fight scene muted is only somewhat serviceable

There was an RTJ fight scene in Defenders? I remember one in Iron fist, but I gave up on Defenders like two episodes in.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It was episode 3, so yeah, that sounds about right.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Luke and Danny meeting
RTJ office fight
Everyone bouncing off each other in the Chinese restaurant

The only good parts of the Defenders.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Luke and Danny meeting
RTJ office fight
Everyone bouncing off each other in the Chinese restaurant

The only good parts of the Defenders.

Any time Matt and Jessica were in a scene together was also good

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

ShakeZula posted:

Any time Matt and Jessica were in a scene together was also good

Defenders would have been a better show if it was just Matt Jessica and Luke. Of course The Hand probably aren't the main villains anymore with that lineup.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Watching Luke Cage ep1. I thought they had me at at the white guy saying "Where's the love fam?" But they really had me when they whipped out Black Enterprise magazine which I have written for

I'm dying 😂😂

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man I'm in episode 2 and the fake Keith David lawyer dude is back and freaks me out every time I see him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I love so much that Thomas Jones is a series regular.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Man they are pulling no punches with the toxic masculinity and the shattered cultural divide between the various parts black community.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

AnEdgelord posted:

Defenders would have been a better show if it was just Matt Jessica and Luke. Of course The Hand probably aren't the main villains anymore with that lineup.

I sorta don't get why people who hate Danny didn't love Danny's interaction with the others because it was just perpetually them rolling their eyes at him, calling him a naive idiot, and punching him. I mean, Jessica hates him more than the thread, Matt had some messed up step brother dynamic with him that he hated, and Luke just spent the series lecturing him on white privilege.

The Defenders were cool. The Hand sucked.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

YESSSS NIGHTSHADE!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Haven't had a chance to watch this yet, but all the Netflix/Marvel shows appear to now be available for download on phone/tablet, which wasn't the case as of JJ S2.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Foggy!! :3:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Foggy's actors skin looks better than what it used to.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Koalas March posted:

Man they are pulling no punches with the toxic masculinity and the shattered cultural divide between the various parts black community.

This show is boring and the fight scenes do not meet my standards and furthermore,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The third episode reminded me of how good an actor Rosario Dawson is; also lol at the Ripley in Aliens comment.