Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

So is it:

Jail time and then a career in printers.

A career in printers then jail time.

?

I feel that one is penance for the other, so take your pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

See I think a lot of people make the distinction between CC and TO but I actually don't.

I also seem to see a lot of people who treat a distro and their name differently. Like I see people who will have the distro "SH/SC IT" in the TO line, but then be like "Adding ThanksAnts" and put them individually in the TO line to get the person's attention.

I do this, after having too many coworkers(and myself) set up rules to filter distros to one place, and anything with you in the TO field to another, higher priority, folder.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
God, all this talk just confirms for me how terrible email really is.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Email is the worst form of office communication except for all of the others.

e: Other annoyance. Time cards for billable poo poo. The woman whose job is do nothing more than hound us about "I need to know how many hours you worked on X project last week" drives me crazy. Today she has written me saying that she needs me to go in and figure out how many hours I worked over the last few weeks on a few projects. My reply: "Those time cards have already been submitted - I've done as much work on those timecards as I'm going to do." Guess that settled that.

e2: And on the email topic, she marks everything as high importance and requests read receipt. What an annoying person you are.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Email is the worst form of office communication except for all of the others.
I've grown pretty fond of slack, though that probably doesn't scale particularly well and probably wouldn't work well if <ageist statement>.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

"People can't connect to this server! It's the firewall!"
"Have you tried pinging the default gateway?"
"Not working, it's the firewall!"
"Have you tried pinging another host on the same subnet?"
". . . oh, looks like there's just something wrong with the machine."

I've seen this exact scenario play out a lot recently. Does the curriculum at Sysadmin University specify that troubleshooting should always assume there's a firewall issue first?

Dude! This was my entire day today and probably tomorrow too.

gently caress government IT people. gently caress them.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've grown pretty fond of slack, though that probably doesn't scale particularly well and probably wouldn't work well if <ageist statement>.

Slack is awesome for relatively small teams. You can connect to a slack room through IRC or XMPP too, so even your hilarious nerd coworkers who don't want to switch clients can join in.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, this Fri. is my last day at my current job. I just got a call from HR saying they were going to email me (yes, the classic call-to-email gag) an exit form with like 30 steps to go through like canceling purchase cards and turning in keys that I don't have and never had, but *I* have to go to like 5 different offices and get them to physically sign this piece of poo poo Word doc.

All I can think is... and what if I don't loving do any of this? I couldn't possibly give less of a poo poo, right now.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Finster Dexter posted:

So, this Fri. is my last day at my current job. I just got a call from HR saying they were going to email me (yes, the classic call-to-email gag) an exit form with like 30 steps to go through like canceling purchase cards and turning in keys that I don't have and never had, but *I* have to go to like 5 different offices and get them to physically sign this piece of poo poo Word doc.

All I can think is... and what if I don't loving do any of this? I couldn't possibly give less of a poo poo, right now.

HR always gets the final say because typically they hold the last paycheck until all boxes are checked.

I had one gig tell me I had to drop my laptop off at the office a 90 minute drive away. When I arrived to drop it off the receptionist said, "just leave it with me."

Because I knew how hosed up this company was I took a picture of the serial number on the laptop, the laptop sitting on the receptionists desk, the receptionist, the receptionists ID badge, the receptionists business card and the newspaper rack sitting out front.

Sure enough, HR said they never received my laptop and threatened legal action, withholding of pay, etc. every time they emailed I sent them all six photos and demanded my money.

gently caress Infosys forever. gently caress them hard forever.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Oh god dammit now I'm up to 6 emails from various departments. Risk management wants an exit survey and Equal Employment Assistant (lol) wants an exit survey.

Ohhhh fuuuuckkkk youuuu

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Agrikk posted:

HR always gets the final say because typically they hold the last paycheck until all boxes are checked.

I had one gig tell me I had to drop my laptop off at the office a 90 minute drive away. When I arrived to drop it off the receptionist said, "just leave it with me."

Because I knew how hosed up this company was I took a picture of the serial number on the laptop, the laptop sitting on the receptionists desk, the receptionist, the receptionists ID badge, the receptionists business card and the newspaper rack sitting out front.

Sure enough, HR said they never received my laptop and threatened legal action, withholding of pay, etc. every time they emailed I sent them all six photos and demanded my money.

Yeah, this is in the back of my mind. *sigh*

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh god dammit now I'm up to 6 emails from various departments. Risk management wants an exit survey and Equal Employment Assistant (lol) wants an exit survey.

Ohhhh fuuuuckkkk youuuu

Its surveys for the rest of your time there.

So much for actually being useful for your last week!

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Not pissing me off: we have a universal administrator account that may as well be a Linksys router default. Everyone is a local administrator. I told my new supervisor that today, and she refused to believe it until she tested the login herself. My previous supervisor thought that security was unnecessary because we treat everyone like adults here. No joke, that's what she said.

This pretty much jumped to the top of my supervisor's to do list. My new supervisor is awesome.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Agrikk posted:

Pretty sure it's came up in this thread before that they can't withhold your paycheck.
Like, incredibly illegal for them to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The second best rule. The best rule is to never open Outlook at all.

The best rule is the one that goes:

If a message arrives with High Importance
Set to Low Importance

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the best way to explain to hire-ups that despite experience with directory services, networking and databases that one shouldn't expect expert-level knowledge in more than one problem domain?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I use either car analogies or trade (you don't want your plumber doing electrical work, even though they're both technically in "construction") or medical examples (don't expect a podiatrist to have expert level knowledge of neurosurgery) as appropriate.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Sheep posted:

I use either car analogies or trade (you don't want your plumber doing electrical work, even though they're both technically in "construction") or medical examples (don't expect a podiatrist to have expert level knowledge of neurosurgery) as appropriate.
I'm stealing this. Thank you.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
eh nm, should probably not say anything just in case a co-worker says something :ninja:

poo poo that pisses me off - CEOs, CFOs, and board members

Danith fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Aug 12, 2015

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

ConfusedUs posted:

The best rule is the one that goes:

If a message arrives with High Importance
Set to Low Importance

I've had this for some time following an excellent BBC article on the subject, also delete holiday email, and try to not read email after 6pm.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 12, 2015

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Agrikk posted:

Oh, so you are using PROCOMM then.

Circa 1989.

SLIP 4 ever.

Swing and a miss! Reynolds & Reynolds dealer management software.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
I just had to explain at length to a senior desk member how a trust relationship failure will not and cannot occur on a work-group computer and that if he's getting that particular error, that workstation is part of a domain. Maybe not the domain he's looking for, but a domain nonetheless. Can I be a sysadmin now?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

psydude posted:

Like all things in IT, what separates a lovely or mediocre admin from a good one is knowledge outside of their silo. I don't expect a systems guy to know all of the BGP attributes, or how to create a SNORT signature, but I do expect them to know how about things like how broadcast domains and VLANs work, and how to properly troubleshoot connectivity to the wall. And to know when the loving vNIC on their server isn't working.

I would say that just having some particular bit of knowledge outside their normal domain isn't all that critical, but being able to take the initiative and learn about something new definitely is. Hell, I don't really know exactly how VLANs work off the top of my head (never had the opportunity to configure 'em from the network side), but give me Internet access and fifteen minutes and I could figure out the basics, and most likely come up with a few potential causes of whatever issue I'm having.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
poo poo that pisses me off:

software engineers who want things but think their time is too valuable to actually convey literally any of the required information. (all of them)

:smug: I need a new thrift cluster
:smith: okay. how many hosts do you need? what serversets? do you have a puppet group in mind or do I have to create one? did you set up monitoring? what other services does it need to talk to? what services does it need to talk to it? what size hosts? Why didn't you read the docs on launching a new service?
:smug: I need this by tomorrow it's affecting production!!!
:smith: : :smithicide:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fellow technical peoples that don't use documentated, standardized terminology and instead other lexicon that describes something else entirely different.

Example,

Copy and Export - Two entirely different operations, one is a 1:1 copy but other removes unique identification such as a SID

Ephemeral Port - It's not the "really high port numbers", "the random ones" it's ephemeral ports which is standard from IANA and goes from 49152 to 65535.

Backup and Snapshot - A backup is a extra copy of data while a Snapshot is the delta changes from a certain point in time. Without the original data source the snapshot cannot be restored.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MrMoo posted:

I've had this for some time following an excellent BBC article on the subject, also delete holiday email, and try to not read email after 6pm.

I blew some co-workers minds when I said I set the e-mail app on my phone to not pull any messages between 7PM and 7AM, and not at all on weekends.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fuuuu the snapshot one pisses me off

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Our manager put a ticket in for our seniormost administrator to add two people to AD with permissions to reset passwords and delete accounts. A junior took the ticket and asked for direction from the administrator. The administrator deleted everyone else's access because they were domain admins (understandable), leaving nobody in T1 able to reset passwords or deactivate accounts. He asked what we needed access for, despite it being in the first sentence of the ticket, and told the junior to handle it.

What say you, goons? Should I use the phrase "This is affecting production" or just send every single AD related ticket directly to him, since he's the one that made it so nobody in T1 can do their jobs properly?

E: For the record, I could do either of these and catch a minimal amount of poo poo, if any.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

Fellow technical peoples that don't use documentated, standardized terminology and instead other lexicon that describes something else entirely different.

Example,

Copy and Export - Two entirely different operations, one is a 1:1 copy but other removes unique identification such as a SID

Ephemeral Port - It's not the "really high port numbers", "the random ones" it's ephemeral ports which is standard from IANA and goes from 49152 to 65535.

Backup and Snapshot - A backup is a extra copy of data while a Snapshot is the delta changes from a certain point in time. Without the original data source the snapshot cannot be restored.

Ehhh, I might let a matter of vocabulary slide in most cases. As a pretty much self-trained IT pro working predominantly solo in small to medium businesses, I know a lot about how things work but not necessarily what a thing is called. Before your post I could have told you all about ephemeral ports and their application, but if you said, "tell me about ephemeral ports" I wouldn't have known to what you were referring.

This has tripped me up on interviews in the past until I started telling people this and then I could get past the vocabulary and get into the topic and rock it.

Of course if you don't know what you are talking about and confuse snapshots with backups and copy with export then I have no use for you.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What say you, goons? Should I use the phrase "This is affecting production" or just send every single AD related ticket directly to him, since he's the one that made it so nobody in T1 can do their jobs properly?

E: For the record, I could do either of these and catch a minimal amount of poo poo, if any.

Never ever say, "this is affecting production" lest you become that which we mock.

I would simply send a UNODIR email saying that all user maintenance tickets are now his responsibility.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dick Trauma posted:

The Xerox tech's B.O. is extraordinary. :stare:

Is his name Daryl ? Did he used to work for Nortel ? Did he live on alcohol ? Did he live out of his truck during his workweek ? Could his BO overpower an HVAC system that had me stashing sweaters in convenient locations ? Was he banned from your site for cause after installing a faulty-but-new 8-line card and not running diagnostics promoting panicked 6:30am phone calls ? Did Nortel account managers roll over and show their bellies when I insisted that dispatching Daryl no longer met SLA ? Did they write a check when they did anyway ?

tl;dr We may have had the same tech from different vendors.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

You guys are missing the two best outlook rules of them all. Any incoming message marked as high importance gets knocked down to low importance and anything with a read receipt automatically gets marked as unread.

Why haven't everyone disabled read receipts? (I'm guessing some GPO?)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

Why haven't everyone disabled read receipts? (I'm guessing some GPO?)

Unless they've changed it recently, if it's enabled on Exchange it doesn't matter what you set Outlook to. In that case read receipts are only denied for Internet mail.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Before I get more upset with our provider, 14ms latency to the first hop inside the ISPs network is unacceptable on a uncontended fibre leased line circuit, isn't it? They have tried to tell me it's because their DC is 150 miles from us, but that accounts for about 5ms at most.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
If a 9ms delay is all you're getting, personally I wouldn't even bother calling them.
Some ISP's do have a latency guarantee to their core though, especially on leased lines so check out your agreement

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Today I've been tasked with sorting the Service Tags of these Dell Chromebooks.

When we got the 1400 Chromebooks in, instead of putting on custom tags as the primary inventory number, they used the service tag numbers. We've had about 50 Chromebooks replaced. For a while, they just used the new service tag in half of our systems, and didn't update the other half (Like GLPI our primary inventory management/ticketing system). Well, that'd be all nice and good, except dell's stickers with that information would rub off incredibly easily. So 90% of our Chromebooks didn't actually have a scan able bar codes for the service tag. The response to this was to purchase 1400 new tags with the original service service tag number, and use that, even on the ones that were replaced.

So now I'm going through the spreadsheet that was created to track this realizing there's multiple duplicates and non existing tag numbers, so I keep having to chat with dell, as well as update our ticketing system manually so the new service tag number is in there and searchable (Because you can't search for text in followups in GLPI). I also have to go back and search all 1400 chromebooks for mislabeled Chromebooks because we put all the new tags on by hand and there are naturally a few fuckups.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

"We never bothered telling you about this specific requirement during the design phase 5 months ago, while insisting upon a design that makes it difficult to remedy the situation. This is obviously your fault, so we don't want to pay to fix it, even though it will require a partial redesign."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

psydude posted:

"We never bothered telling you about this specific requirement during the design phase 5 months ago, while insisting upon a design that makes it difficult to remedy the situation. This is obviously your fault, so we don't want to pay to fix it, even though it will require a partial redesign."

Ticket closed: client does not want fix.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I have a big list of these today, but maybe I'll just start with one of the greatest hits from today's meeting:

:downs:: We need coverage from 7AM-6PM(there are two people normally to do this.) If one of you is on vacation, the other needs to cover the 11 hours for that period.
:mad:: Uhh, so your solution to vacation is 55 hour workweeks?
:downs:: You've gotta learn to start working more than 40 hours a week.

gently caress that. We have other offsite staff people can call. My department is chronically, horribly understaffed and no one disputes this, and yet they think it's okay just to pile on some hours rather than, oh, I don't know, bringing in another body. I think it's time to start shopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

AlternateAccount posted:

I have a big list of these today, but maybe I'll just start with one of the greatest hits from today's meeting:

:downs:: We need coverage from 7AM-6PM(there are two people normally to do this.) If one of you is on vacation, the other needs to cover the 11 hours for that period.
:mad:: Uhh, so your solution to vacation is 55 hour workweeks?
:downs:: You've gotta learn to start working more than 40 hours a week.

gently caress that. We have other offsite staff people can call. My department is chronically, horribly understaffed and no one disputes this, and yet they think it's okay just to pile on some hours rather than, oh, I don't know, bringing in another body. I think it's time to start shopping.

Are you me?