Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

FOR THOSE WHO MISSED IT: NEW UPDATE LAST PAGE!

Section Z posted:

Man, I remember playing the first Rebuild way back. So long as there is still a victory condition unlike so many loving zombie games, could be an interesting read.

Also, loving yes revengeance score screen and assorted revengeancing :allears:

Rebuild 2 (and the mobile version which is the upgraded version of that with new features) is waaaay better than Rebuild 1. There's MANY victory conditions and even the option to keep playing in the city with new bonuses based on what endings you already unlocked, or a new-game-plus mode from two of the endings that lets you take four of your best survivors into a new city with a harder difficulty level.

There's "rebuild most of the city and draft a constitution" ending, the most straightforward, there's "find and repair a helicopter to get out of there" which requires a lot of skilled builders and scavengers (completing it also scouts out every single scoutable building in the city), there's "discover a cure for zombieism" which, if successful, keeps new hordes from appearing, there's "take out the evil apocalypse cult" that gets you some new free members and stops them from raiding your supplies, and the mobile version added in a "Screw EVERYONE, I'm hoarding supplies and running away" ending which just removes your leader from the list of survivors, ha hah. And the bad end where you start a zombie-worshipping cult that makes everyone in your community very, very happy, but likely to commit suicide, so eventually everyone gladly gets chewed on.

Many random events or research opportunities intersect with one or more of these endings, too. For example, rediscovering electricity helps you get power tools to finish the helicopter or cure zombieism.

The mobile version also added in winter, which is horrible as most of your food sources dry up, unless you resort to hunting in unclaimed fields for deer, or cannibalism (yes there is a sidequest about that too).

Lots of other things too. It is a very, VERY well-made game.

Bar-lev: doesn't Zandatsu anyone but kicks your alien balls into outer space. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

Bar-lev: doesn't Zandatsu anyone but kicks your alien balls into outer space. :D

Someone else remembers that movie?!?!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

What kind of a silly question is that? I don't even need to click that link to know what Los Locos does.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

I love Short Circuit! Johnny 5 is such a great guy. Hmmm... Perhaps that can be one of the things next on Alan's movie night? I think Bar-Lev would appreciate the view of robots being able to be seen as people, even though she herself is a cyborg, not a robot.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That update reminds me of a part in the "The Alien Invasion Survival Handbook" that recommends using music to thwart alien mind control/paralysis.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

Speedball posted:

Rebuild 2 (and the mobile version which is the upgraded version of that with new features) is waaaay better than Rebuild 1. There's MANY victory conditions and even the option to keep playing in the city with new bonuses based on what endings you already unlocked, or a new-game-plus mode from two of the endings that lets you take four of your best survivors into a new city with a harder difficulty level.

There's "rebuild most of the city and draft a constitution" ending, the most straightforward, there's "find and repair a helicopter to get out of there" which requires a lot of skilled builders and scavengers (completing it also scouts out every single scoutable building in the city), there's "discover a cure for zombieism" which, if successful, keeps new hordes from appearing, there's "take out the evil apocalypse cult" that gets you some new free members and stops them from raiding your supplies, and the mobile version added in a "Screw EVERYONE, I'm hoarding supplies and running away" ending which just removes your leader from the list of survivors, ha hah. And the bad end where you start a zombie-worshipping cult that makes everyone in your community very, very happy, but likely to commit suicide, so eventually everyone gladly gets chewed on.

Many random events or research opportunities intersect with one or more of these endings, too. For example, rediscovering electricity helps you get power tools to finish the helicopter or cure zombieism.

The mobile version also added in winter, which is horrible as most of your food sources dry up, unless you resort to hunting in unclaimed fields for deer, or cannibalism (yes there is a sidequest about that too).

Lots of other things too. It is a very, VERY well-made game.

Rebuild 3 is still in Early Access on Steam, and while it still needs more polish it's nearly done. It adds several other random factions in the city and a lot of other things to do.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

:allears:

I love you Speedball.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Fun coincidence, I had Youtube on autoplay and had Hot Wind Blowing playing in another tab, so right when Johnny 5 whipped out his lockpick, I'm My Own Master Now started up. It was pretty great.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And here I was thinking about how for a new group recreation activity they should have a Russian Roulette Karaoke Night. Karaoke machine gets programmed with a diverse playlist set to random, everyone's name gets tossed into a hat, and then they have to sing whatever comes up on the playlist whenever their name is drawn.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Rebuild 3 is still in Early Access on Steam, and while it still needs more polish it's nearly done. It adds several other random factions in the city and a lot of other things to do.

Played the hell out of its Early Access version too, but it's a much more ambitious and longer grind than Rebuild Mobile. Seems to take FOREVER to get to an ending.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
The Revengeance screen was pretty beautiful. Thanks for coming back!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Glazius posted:

The Revengeance screen was pretty beautiful. Thanks for coming back!

It was kind of torture, wanting to do something but not having the mental clarity to do it. I'm glad everyone liked it, it was kind of a spur-of-the-last-mminute flash of inspiration. I also kind of liked the objectives shifting to "Surrender to the aliens" too, heh, even if I got the font slightly wrong.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

So, SB, What happened to ya back?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

So, SB, What happened to ya back?

Just leaned over and to the side slightly wrong and that tweaked something that left me in pain for weeks. Still not over it.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011

Speedball posted:

It was kind of torture, wanting to do something but not having the mental clarity to do it. I'm glad everyone liked it, it was kind of a spur-of-the-last-mminute flash of inspiration. I also kind of liked the objectives shifting to "Surrender to the aliens" too, heh, even if I got the font slightly wrong.

Let me just add to the chorus that this update was well worth the wait, and that we're glad you're getting better. That said, I don't think anyone is going to take it amiss if you decide to postpone the next update until you're fully recovered. LPs are awesome, but your physical health comes first.

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

Played the hell out of its Early Access version too, but it's a much more ambitious and longer grind than Rebuild Mobile. Seems to take FOREVER to get to an ending.

Maybe I missed it...but what game are you guys talking about? Anything with zombies MUST be played by me.

Speedball posted:

Just leaned over and to the side slightly wrong and that tweaked something that left me in pain for weeks. Still not over it.

Sorry to hear that. My wife suffers from chronic back issues. One time she threw it out just picking up the dog's water bowl slightly incorrectly.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It is called Rebuild. Get the moblie version or get Rebuild: Gangs of Deadsville (aka Rebuild 3) on Steam Early Access. It's a city-building game with zombies, where you have to constantly beat back the ever-spawning hordes just to expand, and the more people you have working for you, the more stuff you can do, but the more food you expend each turn, so you have to be careful. Enemy humans and a zombie-worshipping cult are other problems you have to contend with as well. Rebuild 3 focuses on factions; rebuilding your corner of the city is only Step One, Step Two to victory is always either allying or eleminating all other factions.

New XCOM will be up tomorrow.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 5, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Or just check out the free flash version if your wallet is empty. Or you like demos.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

XCOM Mission 33: It Hurts So Bad

Sorry about that, Jaime.
Uggghhh… gently caress you, Bradford, that hurt!
You’ll be fine.

Well, everyone seems to have recovered from the ill effects of the mind control.
Do we have any idea what caused it? We know the aliens can control minds, but except for their home base, never on this scale.
Perhaps this was a one-time opportunity.

I can think of one thing that’s changed around the base recently. That antenna we stole from their base.
Oh, no…they were using it to amplify their telepathic transmissions. To everyone in the base!
Crap. We’d better shield or disable that sucker immediately until we can research it.

Sonofa…okay, we just got an update, there’s another EXALT cell hiding out in Canada.
Oh, my home turf! Send me!

Negative, I’m sending the person who can turn invisible and kill a thin man in one shot with a pistol. Queen, you’re up.
No problem, sir! I’ll be back before the week is out.
Stay safe, okay, Hilda?
Of course! Don’t get lonely.

There’s also a trio of abductions going on RIGHT NOW.
Hell! Send out the B-squad. They’re less tired. We’re deploying to Canada.
Hugo’s still wounded.
Let me go, sir! I need to defend my homeland!

Well, new friends, let’s get to work, shall we?
We’ll keep it short and sweet!
Heh heh…yeah…

Oh, man. Hildy’s all on her own now. She’s twice the soldier I am, but a father worries, you know?
Hmph. She would need to be more than twice the soldier you are to be a good one.
HEY!

At least you have a family. I found out I’m a fake person inhabiting the corpse of a dead woman. *giggle*
Are you… are you okay honey?

I’m fine, ha ha ha! Hopped up on three different mood stabilizers and overbooked on the counseling sessions. Perfect time to give me a loaded laser gun and set me loose in an urban area, right?
Oh, god… look, you’re not a fake person and you sure as hell are getting more help once we finish the mission.
(…what am I getting myself into NOW?)

Cargo docks… like the place where Allen… never mind. I’ll go first, I’ve got sensory powers. If they have any more of those squids I’ll be the first to know.

Thin men in hard cover on the right!

Mectoid and two sectoids on the left. It’s in overwatch, be careful!
I’m going in!

WOOO! poo poo! That was close.

Say goodnight, suckers!

No good angle on the other Thin Man, let’s see if these Flashbangs are any good…

Hsss! Auugh! Where are you!?

What the bloody blooming hell?! It looks like the little one’s using its magic powers to give a shield around that mech. Someone kill that rear end in a top hat or we won’t be able to scratch the big guy.

Hssss… I must flee!
Ha! HA! Not into my line of fire, you’re not!

Oh poo poo, it’s coming right for me!

Ughhh…
Latisha!
She’s not dead. We can save her!

Shield-giving Sectoid is down, take out the big one, Zhang!

Enemy down. One sectoid remains behind the cargo container and forklift.
It’s MINE!

How DARE you hurt Mama Watkins, you monster! DIE! DIE! DIEEEE!

Phew. Okay. Here you go, here you go…take it easy!

How you feeling?
…like poo poo. Ugghh…
Better give you another dose just to be safe.
You can’t go around all nutsy-like, kid.
Don’t call me kid, I’m as old as you are!
Pfft. You look and act like you’re twenty. You gotta murder with maturity.

No surprises yet, the remaining ones are probably in back by the foreman’s office. Push up!

Oh, crap, two squids and three sectoids! Don’t worry, my skin will disrupt their invisibility. Blast ‘em!

Blasting them as you say. Rocket away!
What!? Wait!

OWWWW my eardrums!
There. Sorry, I think I underestimated the blast radius.
I didn’t say “explode a rocket over my head” you mafia gently caress! That hurt!
They were too evasive for normal gunfire.
Whatever. Three sectoids left, we eat those for breakfast. Troops, KILL!

RAAAAAAAA!

Oh, this is so sweet. Heh heh heh heh heh. Goodbye.

I’m gonna paint my face with its blood and take a selfie. Anyone else want in?
Uh… no…

Mission complete, though once the painkillers wear off Latisha’s going to be dying of pain. We’ll need her in the hospital immediately. (And now I’m really worried about Yoko’s mental health…)

Owww…
Owwwwwww… gently caress me, I don’t think I’m ever gonna feel quite right again…

To Be Continued!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I call Shenanigans! Ottawa doesn't have a drat port! (Althought the construction could have been one of the billion condo towers they are building here)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Ouch. Poor B-Team.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

bunnyofdoom posted:

I call Shenanigans! Ottawa doesn't have a drat port! (Althought the construction could have been one of the billion condo towers they are building here)

Uhhhh...it has a river?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

They're building a hotel with the world's largest pool. That also explains why the aliens are there (they want our water).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Speedball posted:

Uhhhh...it has a river?

We have several smallish ones, and none of them are used for shipping goods.

(I think the mission was probably in Kingston which is just south of Ottawa by about 100km as is directly on the great lakes. Or Montreal 200km away which is on the St. Laurence).

berryjon
May 30, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

(I think the mission was probably in Kingston which is just south of Ottawa by about 100km as is directly on the great lakes. Or Montreal 200km away which is on the St. Laurence).

Montreal is its own city for attacks like this. Kingston sounds more reasonable.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Poor Thin Men. Sunglasses of no help whatsoever against flashbangs.

Oh who am I kidding gently caress thin men

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I was barely able to keep out a "My eyes! The sunglasses do nothing!" line.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I never imagined a story involving misfit, gender-swapped, anime haired characters could be so entertaining. :magical:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Aaah, this is great! I see the B-team's chemistry is a lot worse than the A-squad, at any rate.

Yoko's rapid descent into madness was the best part, though. That, and Zhang's unflappable pragmatism.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

lol @ the canadian character acting patriotic.

We don't do that, at least not vocally.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

biosterous posted:

lol @ the canadian character acting patriotic.

We don't do that, at least not vocally.

Not for the whole country at large at least. I'd defend North Vancouver from aliens but the rest of this city and country can get probed all day for all I care :colbert:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Not that patriotic. Just only slightly more than the rest of the cast has been so far.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Speedball posted:

Not that patriotic. Just only slightly more than the rest of the cast has been so far.

What if there was a hockey game on that night in Ottawa? Can't hold it if the city is being attacked by aliens!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

What if there was a hockey game on that night in Ottawa? Can't hold it if the city is being attacked by aliens!

Sure you can! Best time, really, since everyone will already be armed and armored.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
You know how the joke goes. If you wanted to end the conflict in Afghanistan in a jiffy, you'd get a bunch of Canadians, give them hockey sticks, and tell them, "there you go boys, the Taliban have got the puck. Go get 'em."

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 8, 2015

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Just as long as the Taliban don't know the secret weapon that will defeat any Canadian:

Politeness.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

'cept during the terrorist attack in October in Ottawa they did cancel the hockey game that night. Against the leafs, Ottawa's most hated team. Also, Canada's most hated team/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That doesn't count, no puck was involved.

(alternate theory, posse comitatus was invoked, they took the sticks, and were not in good enough condition to use when returned. =P)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Do you even have less than 11 days between missions at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Between Exalt covert ops, abductions/UFO shootdowns and the occasional Council mission we have a mission every 6 days at least.

• Locked thread