Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I still can't get over all the scenes of a blind man looking at computer monitors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RealFoxy posted:

I still can't get over all the scenes of a blind man looking at computer monitors

I'm pretty sure that skit was just a joke played straight, since he also looks through binoculars and is carrying a clipboard to write stuff down on.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sydin posted:

I liked how the entire Hueco Muendo thing was a giant ruse set up for no other reason than to be a gauntlet for Ichigo to power up on, and to trap Kenpatchi. Because I guess Aizen was aware of Kenpatchi's deal and was wary of fighting him? Which makes no sense for a number of reasons, the foremost being perfect illusions which could have had Kenpatchi fighting a brick wall - or hell, the other captains - while Aizen laughed from the sidelines.

I mean if Kenpachi powers up to "undetectable spirit power" level he'd probably nullify Aizen's shikai through the virtue of "If you have a high enough spirit level than you can just straight up ignore poo poo" rule of Bleach.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Although the illusions still worked on Ywach, who was definitely at the highest spirit level of anyone.

Of course, that was after Aizen's zanpakuto was destroyed, so who knows how he was even making illusions. Or when he had the time to show Ywach his release.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aizen just kind of does things and it mostly works because he's complete bullshit. then he smugs it up about how what are very clearly unplanned events were his plan all along. and he's not even lying, because kubo always implemented an instant retcon during aizen's self-congratulatory monologues so now it really was his plan, even when this makes no sense.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my favorite fact about bleach is aizen almost made it into the top 10 in the first popularity poll which was released like shortly after he was murdered.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Schubalts posted:

Absolute Hypnosis only worked on people who watched and listened to the entire release ritual. It had a long enough incantation to make the other Captains think Aizen was showing them his full bankai.

In retrospect it was kinda hilarious.

"Hey everyone, check out my dance moves!" *does tai chi slower than a grandma high on muscle relaxers*

*everyone in seireitei watches in amazement the most exiting thing to happen in centuries*

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aizen owns. Looked better before he went evil mode, though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Aizen could get violent food poisoning at a Sbarro in the Soul Society food court and come up with a reason he planned it that way for decades and someone would believe it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheHan posted:

Of course, that was after Aizen's zanpakuto was destroyed, so who knows how he was even making illusions. Or when he had the time to show Ywach his release.

Wasn't there something along the lines of the Quincies having been watching all along for 1000 years from the literal shadows of Soul Society? Maybe they were just peeping at the wrong time.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Wasn't there something along the lines of the Quincies having been watching all along for 1000 years from the literal shadows of Soul Society? Maybe they were just peeping at the wrong time.

Yeah, that just makes it even more ridiculous. Because then all the Quincies have been watching TV together from the shadows.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
So did Aizen become immortal when he fused with the gem or what? I feel like they declared he was immortal at his trial and that was the first mention of it. I also like that he is eventually due for release.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Gologle posted:

Ostensibly, Ichigo's advantage is that he had never seen Aizen release his shikai, so he wasn't affected by Aizen's absolute sensory manipulation. My problem with that is that...what was stopping Aizen from just deactivating his shikai and then reactivating it again with Ichigo in the vicinity???
Theoretically the shikai activation is too slow and defenseless to pull off mid-battle. Practically this is Bleach so Ichigo would have stood still watching shocked and wideeyed even knowing what Aizen is doing, and then a random character appears behind a surprised Aizen shooting a lazer beam to absolutely no effect.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ichigo's most reliable character trait was standing still watching shocked and wide eyed

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

ichigo's most reliable character trait was standing still watching shocked and wide eyed

Also one of his most relatable character traits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Shadow0 posted:

So did Aizen become immortal when he fused with the gem or what? I feel like they declared he was immortal at his trial and that was the first mention of it. I also like that he is eventually due for release.

That's the implication yeah. He couldn't be killed so SS just threw him in a pit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sydin posted:

That's the implication yeah. He couldn't be killed so SS just threw him in a pit.

but they also gave him only a setence of ten thousand years.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Aizen's atrocities pale in comparison to Yamamoto, few more genocides and they might've made him Captain Commander.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TheHan posted:

Aizen's atrocities pale in comparison to Yamamoto, few more genocides and they might've made him Captain Commander.

the real problem was aizen wanted to kill the soul king, or at least upset the balance of everything

if he didn't care about the soul king he'd have been the next captain commander, easily

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Aizen taking off his glasses and slicking back his hair to signify he was now evil was peak early 2000s

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheHan posted:

Well yeah that's because Soul Society is the fash. They're lead by an non-elected aristocratic senate backed by the muscle of the 13 Squads, who as Yhwach rightly pointed out are just a bunch of upjumped murderers and thugs. Hell the only reason Zaraki is a captain is because he killed the last captain and put on his robe, and everybody just nodded. These guys live in a functional lap of luxury while the rest of the afterlife lives in varying degrees of poverty.

Early Bleach leaned pretty hard into this, and Ichigo's true allies were all outsiders to the system or people hurt by it. Urahara and Yorichi's group in exile, Kukaku and Ganju the disgraced former nobles and heroes of the common people, the Vizards who all got sentenced to death for being hollowfied and and had to flee for their lives. Rukia and Renji are originally outsiders from the system and part of both of their arcs is realizing how hosed it actually is.

But then like, all of that vanishes part way through HM and suddenly all the shinigami are good guys who show up to save and support Ichigo. Soul Society isn't exactly whitewashed - their atrocities come up a bunch during the final arc and at one point Mayuri just liquidates thousands of people for SCIENCE and Yamamoto's only annoyed about it because he didn't submit the proper paperwork - but all the dangling plot threads of Ichigo's allies who seem to be building up to challenge the status quo just vanish.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

There's apparently not really much that they could've done to overthrow Yamamoto considering he could probably render most of the younger captains unable to move by looking at them or just nuke the place if it came down to it. Once he's dead stuff seems more likely to change for the better, aside from the noble families, though among the four major ones, the Kuchiki and Shihouin are apparently pretty alright, and the Tsunayashiro (CFYOW spoilers) are all double dead. I don't know about the fourth one.

CFYOW has been pretty up front about acknowledging soul society's fuckups, particularly given most of the leadership of the 13 squads is now younger generation or people with good reason to have a beef with old soul society.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yeah but Yamamoto was cool, he had a sword that sometimes caught on fire.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Sydin posted:

Well yeah that's because Soul Society is the fash. They're lead by an non-elected aristocratic senate backed by the muscle of the 13 Squads, who as Yhwach rightly pointed out are just a bunch of upjumped murderers and thugs. Hell the only reason Zaraki is a captain is because he killed the last captain and put on his robe, and everybody just nodded. These guys live in a functional lap of luxury while the rest of the afterlife lives in varying degrees of poverty.

Early Bleach leaned pretty hard into this, and Ichigo's true allies were all outsiders to the system or people hurt by it. Urahara and Yorichi's group in exile, Kukaku and Ganju the disgraced former nobles and heroes of the common people, the Vizards who all got sentenced to death for being hollowfied and and had to flee for their lives. Rukia and Renji are originally outsiders from the system and part of both of their arcs is realizing how hosed it actually is.

But then like, all of that vanishes part way through HM and suddenly all the shinigami are good guys who show up to save and support Ichigo. Soul Society isn't exactly whitewashed - their atrocities come up a bunch during the final arc and at one point Mayuri just liquidates thousands of people for SCIENCE and Yamamoto's only annoyed about it because he didn't submit the proper paperwork - but all the dangling plot threads of Ichigo's allies who seem to be building up to challenge the status quo just vanish.

I think I remember the captains going to Hueco Mundo were explicitly defying Yamamoto's orders, so if he really wanted to Kubo could've had that been the inciting incident that caused a Soul Society schism. Unfortunately that would include Captain Warcrimes Mayuri on the list of defectors.

Gologle posted:

Yeah but Yamamoto was cool, he had a sword that sometimes caught on fire.

The biggest gently caress you in the world was Yamamoto having a sword that either erased people from existence or trapped them in sword hell for him to call on later, blatantly stealing souls out from the wheel of reincarnation. A crime for which he genocided the Quincies and continues to genocide the hollows for.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
The Four Great Nobles thing never got fully explained. It seems only the Kuchiki and Shihouin clans, as well as the fallen Shiba clan, get mentioned. The other two go off to join the blue wizards I guess. There's also some allusion to Ichigo's father being from one of the clans? I think?... And they never do explain why the Shiba clan fell from grace. I think someone said in this thread that the 5 house leaders were the ones to originally carve up the Soul King, right?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

The Four Great Nobles thing never got fully explained. It seems only the Kuchiki and Shihouin clans, as well as the fallen Shiba clan, get mentioned. The other two go off to join the blue wizards I guess. There's also some allusion to Ichigo's father being from one of the clans? I think?... And they never do explain why the Shiba clan fell from grace. I think someone said in this thread that the 5 house leaders were the ones to originally carve up the Soul King, right?

Ichigo's dad is a Shiba

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The five noble clans basically founded soul society, hence why they have a ridiculously outsized amount of pull. The Tsunayashiros are the most powerful among them. The Shibas fell from grace in part because of Isshin's disappearance, if I remember right. The last one is not mentioned anywhere as far as I know.

This is not actually explained in the manga, but in CFYOW.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bleach doesn't exactly have strong worldbuilding.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Amazing that the most powerful Noble House has no presence in the Bleach until a novel released after it ended, beyond being the dude who served as the catalyst for Tousen going over to Aizen's side.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RealFoxy posted:

I tried looking this up and instead found a video where Aizen pulls out his katana for a couple seconds, doesn't say or do anything, but apparently that was enough to put Barragan under its spell. It seems like he can just do it whenever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

chumbler posted:

The Shibas fell from grace in part because of Isshin's disappearance, if I remember right.

I mean it tracks, Isshin was presumably the family patriarch and as far as SS was concerned he just wandered off with no explanation and was never heard from again. IIRC he never interacts with any shinigami outside of Rukia (who's oblivious to who he is) and Urahara's group, so even by the end of the series I guess SS still doesn't know whatever happened to him or that Ichigo is technically the heir of the Shiba clan.

It is kinda funny in retrospect that Matsumoto and Hitsugaya spend an afternoon chilling in Ichigo's room none the wise that their former captain is downstairs sitting on the couch watching TV.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sydin posted:

It is kinda funny in retrospect that Matsumoto and Hitsugaya spend an afternoon chilling in Ichigo's room none the wise that their former captain is downstairs sitting on the couch watching TV.

I mean it tracks with my pet theory that most of the Soul Society aren't as much consciously malicious or fash or whatever as they are merely dumb as rocks.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I never considered that part in that light but you're totally right and it makes me irrationally angry.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alternatively, imagine a deleted scene where one of them wanders down to raid the fridge and bumps into Isshin. They stare at each other, blink, and then someone says "I won't say anything if you won't."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there was an interview where kubo said he wanted to do a scene with isshin and them in the arrancar arc but the editors nixed it.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Also just remembered that there were a couple anime filler episodes where Hitsugaya was loving around in the human world for some reason and joined Karin's soccer team, and there's a bunch of weird romantic tension between the two that makes zero sense and is kinda loving creepy because Karin is 11 and Hitsugaya is like 111.

Would have been a hell of an awkward time to bump into Isshin again lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Come to think of it, Matsumoto probably did bump into Isshin at some point and just didn't give a gently caress.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The shinigami loving around in the living world was great and there should have been more of it. Shinigami's Cup Golden understood Bleach better than anything else.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Sydin posted:

I mean it tracks, Isshin was presumably the family patriarch and as far as SS was concerned he just wandered off with no explanation and was never heard from again. IIRC he never interacts with any shinigami outside of Rukia (who's oblivious to who he is) and Urahara's group, so even by the end of the series I guess SS still doesn't know whatever happened to him or that Ichigo is technically the heir of the Shiba clan.

Isshin was from a branch family, Kaien (the dude who trained Rukia and then got taken over by a random Hollow before she killed him) was the head of the main family and him dying was why they fell out of favour. Presumably with Isshin and Kaien gone they had no shinigami in the clan, or at least no-one worth caring about, so Soul Society stopped giving a poo poo about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bleach doesn't exactly have strong worldbuilding.

I disagree. Kubo built a strong world by accident and didn't take advantage of it.

He's not a good writer, but a brilliant clothing designer.