Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Glorgnole posted:

nice! if you end up getting into distributing plants around the terrain, ocotillo (allegedly) like to grow on limestone, and cholla need sun so they grow on flats and south-facing slopes.

thanks for the tip, that makes a lot of sense with where we see them when me and Silver Alicorn visit that desert IRL. Mostly I'm going off of our in-person observations for plant distribution, but we also have a pretty decent san diego county reference book. About half the plants in there are all from the Anza Borrego desert.

Also building the camping system and setting up fire shaders this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

i'm hosting another decker-themed game jam next month:

https://itch.io/jam/deck-month

if you folks know anybody who might enjoy decker, i'd really appreciate help spreading the word

doin my part :salute:

quote:

this looks neat by the way, might participate unless I forget / am busy / change my mind

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Sumac posted:

thanks for the tip, that makes a lot of sense with where we see them when me and Silver Alicorn visit that desert IRL. Mostly I'm going off of our in-person observations for plant distribution, but we also have a pretty decent san diego county reference book. About half the plants in there are all from the Anza Borrego desert.

Also building the camping system and setting up fire shaders this week.

:drat: that is pretty. love the artwork on this thing and the attention to rock/plant detail

it's been too long since i played with game dev or shaders, but i remember shaders being a thing you could just lose yourself in for hours tweaking stuff to get everything :discourse:. it was fun, mostly. sometimes frustrating. the fire looks great.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Hacker News "hackers" are really enjoying the Decker game jam, as always.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

Sagacity posted:

Hacker News "hackers" are really enjoying the Decker game jam, as always.

quote:

A “Steam Deck game jam” would be a Linux game jam. Leave the proprietary hardware out of it.
:shepface:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
without fail, whenever one of my projects makes it to hacker news the entire discussion is people squabbling over something which is at best tenuously related to the title of the article

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
hell is other people

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
literally every comments section of every article of every site

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
guess that makes us hosed up pillhead imladris and jeffrey of yospos the elrond, then

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

haveblue posted:

literally every comments section of every article of every site

"hacker" news is worse than average though

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its really not. theres some deec posters there

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its really not. theres some deec posters there

no there's not. I don't post there

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
neeths

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4048208&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

its probablt a waste of time but i didn’t wanna poo poo up yospos any
more with my garbage so follow me there or not

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
no you should post it here

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well tbf I do want a place I can post extremely freely about ideas or thoughts or rubbish and or garbage. I don’t have a twitter to blog to anymore or anything else like that

maybe if I make any appreciable progress or something actually worth sharing I’ll cross post

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
The boards for this year's holiday ornament just got here. This is the fifth year I've done these but I'm really excited about this one.

It's a little AM transmitter that spews out morse code then shuts itself off. All the board artwork is hand-drawn. Hopefully they work.

edit:

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 29, 2023

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

those hand-drawn traces and labels are extremely charming

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
I posted a little bit about the process when I first started doing boards like this. It's fun:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734977&pagenumber=587&perpage=40&userid=0#post510506277

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

in decker 1.34 i overhauled lil's insert statement, which is essentially the literal form for table values

the original design was column-oriented, mirroring the structure of select/update/extract. this was a very stupid choice, because it made the form basically just a worse version of select:

the new design is more concise and also row-oriented; i'm immediately finding new places to use it:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Internet Janitor posted:

those hand-drawn traces and labels are extremely charming
For real.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

i used my interactive drawing program to make a smaller, weirder drawing program:

https://internet-janitor.itch.io/wigglypaint

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

a bunch of people have posted their doodles in the wigglypaint comments on itch.io and it makes me very happy

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I wrote an essay about mertonon (https://github.com/howonlee/mertonon/blob/master/essays/estimates.md) which is gonna go on the actual .com website whenever its finished, which is prolly after another draft. comments, etc etc would be welcome

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Janitor posted:

a bunch of people have posted their doodles in the wigglypaint comments on itch.io and it makes me very happy

stoked 4 you man. must be a vibe to make this tool n see so many being creative with it

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

its very rad what you made.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Idiot because I ruined the back, so you only get the front

My aunt asked to buy it, told her someone has already spoken for it and then asked for a family discount when I said I can make another and quoted her a price.

:|

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

cheese eats mouse posted:

Idiot because I ruined the back, so you only get the front

My aunt asked to buy it, told her someone has already spoken for it and then asked for a family discount when I said I can make another and quoted her a price.

:|

wow

nice plate tho

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
aint worked on my game in a while, but I'm picking the thread back up and I got a cool logo going

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I made the font myself

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's good

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

hello thread i am thinking of embarking on an ISTP in which i'd be embedding a small compy into a device that needs internet access in the field. also it needs to be inexpensive and relatively easy for others to put together from parts they buy off the internets

with that in mind, does anyone have experience with (a) cheaper orange pi variants as an alternative to raspberri pi and (b) the sub-$10 USB 4G/LTE/wifi hotspots you can buy on alibaba? are they any good, especially the 4G/LTE modems?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Buy em and find out is my preferred approach to such things

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

released an update to wigglypaint with some quality-of-life improvements: an undo button, transparency support, and an easy way to customize the palette

it continues to get a surprising amount of attention on itch and lots of nice doodles in the comments section

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I’ve been getting my Quadra 800 set up with my MacIvory 3 so I can have an actually-working Lisp Machine handy again

today’s win was getting a working CD-ROM drive set up, upgrading the OS on that machine to full System 7.5.3 Update 2 rather than the weird stripped down install its previous custodian set up (with no TCP/IP!), and getting it all to talk to my server running netatalk 2 so I could grab the rest of the things I needed

now I even have THINK C 5.0.4 set up so I can mess with the Mac-side support software, since—like the rest of the system—Symbolics helpfully includes sources

I want to see if I can set it up to give a chunk of Mac RAM to the Lisp machine to use as Lisp memory instead of just using Mac memory as a communications buffer: the code where it tells Lisp about things like a NatSemi, Intel, or DayStar NuBus RAM card is straightforward, the only question is whether the MacIvory will insist on the memory being in NuBus slot space, or whether it’ll just accept motherboard RAM and work with it

and if anyone were to make a modern NuBus RAM card that supports more than 16MB, that’d be great: Ivory is a 40-bit architecture and demands 8-bit ECC, so that 16MB becomes a paltry 2.7MW, but I have 136MB of motherboard RAM that I’m happy to share…

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

and if anyone were to make a modern NuBus RAM card

i mean, what are the odds?

i envy that quadra 800 though. i ended up getting rid of my nubus mac in my last move and i regret it.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Internet Janitor posted:

released an update to wigglypaint with some quality-of-life improvements: an undo button, transparency support, and an easy way to customize the palette

it continues to get a surprising amount of attention on itch and lots of nice doodles in the comments section

i've sent it to a few friends and gotten to see little scribbles people put out through it, it's great.

i seriously think a lot of it is just psychology. wigglypaint sets a very modest skill ceiling, meaning that even people with little artistic talent (yrs truly) can make some dumb scribble and it's not bad art, it's just wiggly.

it's been fun

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

i mean, what are the odds?

getting better every day given services like JLC PCB, just annoying to deal with the NuBus bus protocol and also to solder that 96-pin Eurocard connector

quote:

i envy that quadra 800 though. i ended up getting rid of my nubus mac in my last move and i regret it.

it even has intact plastics, I got super lucky with it

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

eschaton posted:

getting better every day given services like JLC PCB, just annoying to deal with the NuBus bus protocol and also to solder that 96-pin Eurocard connector

iirc from early job experience, eurocard connectors are usually press fit, not soldered, but that would only increase difficulty for a hobby project so i guess you'd just oversize the holes and solder it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I'm working on a train for rockets