Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Note that it's a public library, so the "property owner" is the taxpayers.

"homeless people don't pay taxes" will be the argument used, which is utter nonsense because the public library is for all regardless of your taxpaying status.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Brimruk posted:

How the actual gently caress :psyduck: How do you in any way justify this on a personal level and not go home and suck down a shotgun barrel (I realize the answer is the cruelty is the point but holy poo poo just let people be)

"Feed Homeless" is the name they are giving the "event" that is "unauthorized" by the "property owner"

which is, like other have said, the public library. is there a city ordinance is place that specifies that the "property owner" (the city) does not authorize such events unless blah blah blah...

like is the city oppressing them through the cops or are the cops acting on their own

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

"Feed Homeless" is the name they are giving the "event" that is "unauthorized" by the "property owner"

which is, like other have said, the public library. is there a city ordinance is place that specifies that the "property owner" (the city) does not authorize such events unless blah blah blah...

like is the city oppressing them through the cops or are the cops acting on their own

Thus dumbass thinks the cops care about laws lol

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

this angers me

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It angers me too friend

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's wild how it looks like the thumb cop is smirking in the thumbnail

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

it's wild how it looks like the thumb cop is smirking in the thumbnail

looks like, he's totally having a ball.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

uber_stoat posted:

looks like, he's totally having a ball.

and why wouldn't he be? he is enjoying the unhindered expression of power upon people who can do absolutely nothing about it

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Brimruk posted:

How the actual gently caress :psyduck: How do you in any way justify this on a personal level and not go home and suck down a shotgun barrel (I realize the answer is the cruelty is the point but holy poo poo just let people be)

the homeless are subhuman

by feeding them you’re enabling their poor life choices

knowledge of hell is what drives good (protestant) work ethic

the wealthy understand this, which is why they’re wealthy, and in good grace

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Unless posted:

the homeless are subhuman

by feeding them you’re enabling their poor life choices

knowledge of hell is what drives good (protestant) work ethic

the wealthy understand this, which is why they’re wealthy, and in good grace

This

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

nobody hates the poor more than american christians

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Jesus Christ, famous hater of the poor and idolizer of the rich

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Cross-posting from the Seattle thread:

https://twitter.com/jazzyspraxis/status/1697401685013111160?s=20

Saying the quiet part out loud.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
are these folks who are in jail who learned to fight fires or are we regularly incarcerating firefighters all in one spot?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

are these folks who are in jail who learned to fight fires or are we regularly incarcerating firefighters all in one spot?
You would think the former, but at this point I'm not sure we can completely write off the latter.

Sending cops out to arrest firefighters because you think it's gonna be a bad season.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ham Equity posted:

You would think the former, but at this point I'm not sure we can completely write off the latter.

Sending cops out to arrest firefighters because you think it's gonna be a bad season.
cops arrest firefighters because they hate that they're actual heroes

studs n chuds
Aug 11, 2023

by Modern Video Games

(and can't post for 58 days!)

Ash Crimson posted:

*Guile voice* CHRONIC GOON

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Brimruk posted:

It's easy, you just don't view other people as people. Works well for abusers.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Bootleg Trunks posted:

nobody hates the poor more than american christians

it's amazing too cuz my favorite bible story is jesus and the moneychangers in the temple, not just cuz he flips out and beats rear end but like he sees this poo poo happening and then goes and calmly constructs the weapon he will use to beat those asses before going back in. i have never been so mad at anyone or anything i just calmly started making a weapon to deal with it. calm like a bomb.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

Jesus Christ, famous hater of the poor and idolizer of the rich

American jesus absolutely

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
this dude is eager to jump to the front of the head removal line

https://twitter.com/FinancialReview/status/1701440109948887057

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RadiRoot posted:

this dude is eager to jump to the front of the head removal line

https://twitter.com/FinancialReview/status/1701440109948887057

Wow head of Landlord Inc is a real piece of poo poo who thinks everyone else owes him a very cushy living, what a shocker

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Tim Gurner is the if millennials just stop buying lattes and avocado toast they could afford a house guy.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hi, Guillotine Thread, it's been awhile. I heard many of you may be having a problem with your blood pressure being too low, so I'm here to help:

How Landlord Tech Is Squeezing Renters Who Can't Afford Security Deposits

Headline sounds bad, but it's one of those stories where it sounds bad, and turns out to be so much worse:

quote:

When Desereé Cundiff applied for her apartment complex in Augusta, Georgia, she could afford everything but the security deposit, which was over $900. Her property manager told her about a company called Rhino, which offered an alternative: pay a smaller fee once per month instead. She didn’t know much about it, but she knew it meant she wouldn’t have to pay money that she didn’t have.

“It was great for people like me that couldn't afford to have a whole deposit,” she told Motherboard she thought at the time.

Rhino allows users to pay monthly or annually; Cundiff opted to pay her first year’s cost of $221.82 up front, she said. When she renewed her lease for a second year, she paid monthly at $18.40 a month, which came out to about the same amount. But when her Rhino plan renewed last year, her premium went up to $47.83 a month, which would cost her $573.96 annually. Her payments over the course of three years at the apartment will total over $1,000, more than an upfront security deposit. And unlike a security deposit, she can’t get the money back.

Rhino said the changes “more heavily account for each renter’s personal financial inputs, including credit score and total credit history” and “once a quote has been calculated it cannot be manually adjusted or recalculated.”

Cundiff’s story is not unique. In interviews with tenants using Rhino, experts, and a leaked presentation from Rhino executives, the picture emerges of a company that charges the most vulnerable people more money, which they will never get back, in order to “push deposits higher” for landlords, as one former executive put it.

However, its offerings bear little resemblance to security deposits—which are refundable—and it in fact advises clients that it is not a security deposit. It also does not insure the renter, only the landlord. An agreement that renters must sign says, in all-caps: “The surety program described in this agreement is for the benefit of your landlord only. It does not cover you. The premium, taxes and fees you pay are not a security deposit and will not be refunded to you [emphasis Motherboard’s].”

Landlords can bill Rhino for damage to the apartment or nonpayment of rent up to the amount they’ve chosen to insure, and the company pays the landlord directly, leaving the tenant on the hook up to the insured amount. The company reserves the right to sue tenants to reimburse it for property damage or unpaid rent, although co-founder Ankur Jain—son of billionaire InfoSpace CEO Naveen Jain—told The Intercept that the company did not intend on doing so.

All of the tenants who spoke with Motherboard initially did not realize that Rhino only insures their landlord. “I feel they're kind of benefiting from the ambiguity,” said Eric Dunn, director of litigation at the National Housing Law Project.

The company, along with LeaseLock, has been pushing bills across the country it calls “Renter’s Choice.” While the language varies, these bills require landlords to offer tenants a security deposit alternative, like Rhino, if they are requiring a security deposit. These bills have been passed in two states—Connecticut and Georgia, where Cundiff lives—and garnered support from elected officials in 17 more, according to a lobbying website started by the company.

But renters, attorneys, and advocates who spoke to Motherboard said that Rhino’s presentation of its product as streamlined security deposit insurance for renters is misleading, since the fee is nonrefundable and tenants are never insured. The service also allows landlords to get around stringent rules regulating the size of security deposits and when they are returned.

The company uses its own algorithm to set prices for customers based on “risk,” making it costlier for renters with poor credit. Using the algorithm to predict risk may circumvent fair credit reporting laws, which only cover credit reports and not proprietary algorithms, according to Hannah Holloway at Tech Equity Collaborative.

Experts say the product that Rhino offers could more accurately be described as a type of bond, rather than insurance. Rhino reserves the right to hold renters financially responsible for any damage to the apartment, which means renters are billed by the company for damage to the apartment if it exceeds the coverage amount.

“The big selling point for landlords is not having to go through the courts to get this money,” said Peter Matchette, a Baltimore advocate who opposed the company’s lobbying there.

While the company boasts that it costs renters just a few dollars a month, tenants who spoke to Motherboard were paying as much as $57 a month and said they were not given a chance to appeal changes to their premium or learn what specific factors led to increases.

“It's a perverse kind of insurance, almost like a bail bond,” Marika Dias, a housing attorney with the nonprofit Safety Net Project told Motherboard. “Tenants don't really have leverage, aren’t in a position of power to push back on something like this because they need the housing.”

“It's kind of like a subprime mortgage,” said Matchette. “Where it's like, ‘we'll get you in the door real cheap’.”

During the successful campaign to get the “Renter’s Choice” law overturned, activists recorded a Rhino sales webinar for landlords in which the company described how it sets each tenants’ monthly premium and said “well-to-do” renters pay the least. In the webinar, which was viewed by Motherboard, former vice president of sales Eric Krauss (who left the company in May, according to his LinkedIn), tells landlords that the end of the eviction moratorium would be “good for you guys.” After repeating Rhino’s claim that $45 billion “sits idly in cash security deposits,” he says that “Rhino is also a great way for you guys to push deposits higher.”

The company charged her around $25 a month, she said. But soon after moving in, she got a job in South Carolina and moved out of state. But Rhino kept charging her for the apartment she left behind. In October of 2019, Price filed for bankruptcy. Yet Rhino did not give up; a July email viewed by Motherboard from a Rhino support worker said that Price was liable for nine months of missed payments.

As with other tenants who spoke to Motherboard, it took repeated attempts to reach someone in customer service to explain her situation, and no one was available to speak on the phone. “I just find it crazy that there's literally no way to talk to a person,” Price said.

In 2020, Cincinnati passed a “Renter’s Choice” ordinance—one of Rhino’s first lobbying wins—requiring that landlords with more than 25 units who request a security deposit must also offer tenants an alternative, including a payment plan or “rental security insurance.” But the law does not work the other way around: landlords can offer an “alternative” like Rhino without requiring a security deposit, essentially forcing renters into the more costly product.

Whole article is worth reading, but there are the "high" points. Son of a billionaire created a company to leech more security deposit money off of poor people. Just the worst of the worst possible.

Ham Equity has issued a correction as of 06:45 on Oct 24, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ham Equity posted:

Hi, Guillotine Thread, it's been awhile. I heard many of you may be having a problem with your blood pressure being too low, so I'm here to help:

How Landlord Tech Is Squeezing Renters Who Can't Afford Security Deposits

Headline sounds bad, but it's one of those stories where it sounds bad, and turns out to be so much worse:

Whole article is worth reading, but there are the "high" points. Son of a billionaire created a company to leech more security deposit money off of poor people. Just the worst of the worst possible.

quote:

Rhino is one of a growing number of companies selling what it calls a “security deposit alternative.” The companies—which include LeaseLock and Jetty—offer the chance for tenants who can’t afford security deposits to instead pay monthly fees.

i love the framing of every new theft as a chance opportunity or choice

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

The Oldest Man posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsU1AKrlc4U

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Oldest Man posted:

It's always been this way. Marx details extensively in Capital vol 1 how the Factory Acts were derided as inpinging on the workers' freedom by restricting how many hours a day they were allowed to sell their labour.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Is it even really possible to get a deposit back anyway unless you take pictures of everything before/after and prove it looks almost loving identical? I'm sitting on an ivory tower of family land here but capitalism has probably trained most of you to not expect getting that back so I think people just figure eh, same result just financed.

The Islamic Shock has issued a correction as of 12:23 on Oct 27, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got half of my deposit back when I moved out of my old apartment, but only because we took pictures before I moved in, so we could show that I literally left it in a better condition than I got it.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
move-in inspections used to be standard, weird!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've always gotten my deposit back but I'm probably an exception

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
For all the flaws in this rat garbage dickhead province, one of the things Ontario does right is (parts of) the Landlord-Tenant Act, like the part where it says rental deposits are illegal. Instead, LLs tend to charge the last month's rent up-front so you can cut and run in your last month. Of course a lot of people don't know their rights so there are tons of landlords charging actual deposits on top of last month's rent.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

For all the flaws in this rat garbage dickhead province, one of the things Ontario does right is (parts of) the Landlord-Tenant Act, like the part where it says rental deposits are illegal. Instead, LLs tend to charge the last month's rent up-front so you can cut and run in your last month. Of course a lot of people don't know their rights so there are tons of landlords charging actual deposits on top of last month's rent.

my friend, allow me to introduce you to the concept of coughing up first month's, last month's, and a security deposit equal to a month's rent before you even get the keys.

oh you need a place to live and can afford $1k a month? you'll need $3k just to move in.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

The Islamic Shock posted:

Is it even really possible to get a deposit back anyway unless you take pictures of everything before/after and prove it looks almost loving identical? I'm sitting on an ivory tower of family land here but capitalism has probably trained most of you to not expect getting that back so I think people just figure eh, same result just financed.

I've always gotten mine back in nyc, hasn't mattered if it was a small time landlord or a giant corporation but maybe we just have good laws. I never had to use pics or hassle anyone

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Had to sue one landlord to get it back and am in the process of suing another.

In Seattle, once you figure out how to sue your landlord, it's not all that difficult, and you have a good chance of winning, but you do have to worry about getting put on a tenant blacklist (my first suit was before that was a thing, my current one is after I bought a house), and you have to actually be able to figure out the service.

I would make my hobby saying landlords if I could. gently caress those "people."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

my friend, allow me to introduce you to the concept of coughing up first month's, last month's, and a security deposit equal to a month's rent before you even get the keys.

oh you need a place to live and can afford $1k a month? you'll need $3k just to move in.
let me introduce you to Denmark's 3 months rent paid ahead of time, plus a security deposit equal to another 3 months.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Hereabouts you’ll pay all this, plus a ‘Brokers Fee’ equal to one months rent. The broker does not do anything for you, just provides a degree of separation and deniability for the landlord in screening tenants, but you’ll still have to pay for it.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://x.com/alkibiades_/status/1729175313916330092?s=46&t=v69FFc9gmilk6I-vYnAGzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

ISIS?