Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

fade5 posted:

Have a really fascinating article about the quiet/underground sexual revolution happening in Iran right now:
High heels and hijabs: Iran’s sexual revolution

The whole article is absolutely fascinating to read, and gives me hope that the stranglehold the Religious Authorities have on Iran can start to end, maybe even in tandem with ending Iran's status as a US pariah if a nuclear deal is reached.

Starting a war/bombing Iran would do exactly the opposite of this, and gently caress everything up in a depressingly bad way.:(

I know that from after the Iran-Iraq war until some time in the Ahmadinejad administration they were super aggressive about sex ed, family planning, and birth control being available. The revolution and its aftermath had created a big regression against it and they were facing a huge population boom. They realized if it went on they were screwed (haha) because they'd have more people than they could provide for and a large youth population without economic and family prospects is a recipe for revolution. So they went big on reproductive health to get the population rate under control. But the past decade or so has been a boost to the hardline elements in the region (obviously) and when they got some power in Iran they went after the same culture war stuff the evangelicals do here, and a lot of that stuff was disassembled. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_planning_in_Iran

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
Gov. Scott Walker of WI has proposed a new plan that would strip the Department of Natural Resources' board members of the ability to make binding policy decisions and make those decisions advisory only:

quote:

The Republican governor's state budget proposal calls for transforming the board into an advisory panel, ending its ability to set policy for the DNR. That would allow the governor to control the agency directly through Secretary Cathy Stepp, a Walker appointee, with no checks or balances.
But hey, that's not all!

quote:

Besides the board proposal, Walker's budget also would eliminate 66 positions in the DNR's science bureau in lieu of hiring consultants to conduct the agency's studies
Gosh, I wonder where these :airquote:consultants:airquote: are going to come from.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhilippAchtel posted:

And all while North Korea stands, proving to every tin pot dictator in the world that the only way to get the United States to rule out military action is to acquire nuclear weapons. Yes, that would certainly be a positive outcome to a breakdown in negotiations to stem the spread of nuclear weapons.

Yeah I too remember how North Korea got nukes as soon as the Korean War ended.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I too remember how North Korea got nukes as soon as the Korean War ended.

Is there some sort of missing context here, given that the Korean War has not yet officially ended?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Asproigerosis posted:

Is there some sort of missing context here, given that the Korean War has not yet officially ended?

Wow not even fishmech would be this pedantic.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Wow not even fishmech would be this pedantic.

I thought there was some sort of hidden joke, but I'm just an idiot that reads into things too much :downs:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Asproigerosis posted:

I thought there was some sort of hidden joke, but I'm just an idiot that reads into things too much :downs:

The United States has had no interest in restarting the Korean War well before North Korea got nukes. Their protection is that they're insane and have the worlds largest army and such a ruined country that it would be a bottomless pit for money even if the occupation was managed completely efficiently. The absolute best-case scenario is still a nightmare so everyone has been content to let them starve behind their fortresses in the DMZ for decades.

People who don't really think about it think their (barely functional) nuclear weapons are what protect them but they probably wouldn't work if tried, could only be used tactically, and are relatively minor compared to the rest of the problems of restarting the Korean War.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

That's both hilarious and deeply depressing.

USPol: Hilarious and Deeply Depressing

Quidam Viator posted:

It still continues to amaze me that this forum cannot see any similarities between the way the GOP maintains mutually beneficial tension with Mid-east religious extremists, and how they do the same with the Democratic party in America. Both groups only survive BECAUSE of endless war without solutions, and we, the same disprivileged group in each case, have completely bought the same line of bullshit every time: no third way exists, so keep us both in power lest something awful happens.

If you want a 'third way' then you need to take control of a party from the local level up to change it's behavior. Until then you'll need to keep taking the least bad path, because taking the worst path isn't going to magically turn on the full communism feature in America. I mean holy poo poo our ancestors fought and bled for decades to gain control of parties and implement good policy, and they managed change without literally setting fire to the country. All accelerationism will do is run any progress we have made into the ground while making it harder to get back up, lets not even get into the fact you're essentially calling for the creation of multiple rogue states with nuclear weapons. No one is going to give any progressives a pat on the loving back and a hand in the new government when a bunch insured a massive fall from grace and immense loss of life and infrastructure.

I wonder how many accelerationists vote R, then bitch about lovely policies getting implemented. I bet it's enough that if they'd pull their whiney manchild heads out their asses and voted against the shittiest candidate while trying to change local and state policy, they might one day vote for a candidate.

fade5 posted:

Have a really fascinating article about the quiet/underground sexual revolution happening in Iran right now:
High heels and hijabs: Iran's sexual revolution

The whole article is absolutely fascinating to read, and gives me hope that the stranglehold the Religious Authorities have on Iran can start to end, maybe even in tandem with ending Iran's status as a US pariah if a nuclear deal is reached.

Starting a war/bombing Iran would do exactly the opposite of this, and gently caress everything up in a depressingly bad way.:(

Hmmm, try diplomacy and manage to obtain a neutral status with old enemy who might become a willing regional ally and work together to stablize and modernize the MidEast

OR, OR

Let 60 million people die and leave the survivors with an immensely scaring experience that leaves them forever embittered and angry against America. gently caress it, they're browns anyway they don't count.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

fade5 posted:

High heels and hijabs: Iran’s sexual revolution

Iran is a weird country as while its run by conservatives, the fact that the country that they took over was so overtly Western that they could never clamp down on things.

They only stopped publicly funding birth control because of the massive birthrate drop.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

PDP-1 posted:

Gov. Scott Walker of WI has proposed a new plan that would strip the Department of Natural Resources' board members of the ability to make binding policy decisions and make those decisions advisory only:

But hey, that's not all!

Gosh, I wonder where these :airquote:consultants:airquote: are going to come from.

Its going to be the same people they are planning to fire, except with shittier benefits and a mandate from above to find ways to approve everything. Oh boy, oh boy.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In case you were wondering, Joe Biden doesn't think highly of the Republican Senators' letter to Iran.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

a shameful boehner posted:

That superslam the Iranian foreign minister put on the entire Senate GOP was pretty great. That's gotta sting a lot and just makes them look even more crazy to anyone paying attention. :freep:

Are voters actually going to remember this, though? Probably not.

However, just imagine for a moment if kind of thing happened under a Democrat-led congress. There would be hysterical calls for public executions and a new Committee on Un-American Activities.
The new media shall prevail over the traditional elephant poo poo-eaters someday! They must to advance through this turbulent century!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Joementum posted:

In case you were wondering, Joe Biden doesn't think highly of the Republican Senators' letter to Iran.

Knowing Biden, I'm surprised his response wasn't to actually challenge John McCain to a public fistfight.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

PDP-1 posted:

But hey, that's not all!

Jesus christ, this Walker budget is a never ending stream of terrible poo poo. Like, bad stuff has been coming out from this budget for weeks, if not months now.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Joementum posted:

Has Joe been making any noises about making a run at the primary?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Jesus christ, this Walker budget is a never ending stream of terrible poo poo. Like, bad stuff has been coming out from this budget for weeks, if not months now.

keep in mind that "Scott Walker wants to cover up rape and sexual assault at Wisconsin universities!" was the usual level of Gawker Media reporting - complete bullshit.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

bradburypancakes posted:

Has Joe been making any noises about making a run at the primary?

Yeah for like seven years basically.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fried Chicken posted:

keep in mind that "Scott Walker wants to cover up rape and sexual assault at Wisconsin universities!" was the usual level of Gawker Media reporting - complete bullshit.

Wait, he DID want them to stop reporting sexual assault. What was the mistake with that?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Wait, he DID want them to stop reporting sexual assault. What was the mistake with that?

If I eecall correctly, it was a redundant clause that the university asked to be removed in the first place. Its removal would have no actual effect required reporting.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

That the change was requested by the university because they were already fulfilling it under the Cleary act. It wasn't some nefarious plan by Walker to make it easier to rape women like Gawker spun it, it was requested and had no impact on actual operations. Had they done the very basics of journalism like "call the university or walker administration" before running it they would have known that.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

That the change was requested by the university because they were already fulfilling it under the Cleary act. It wasn't some nefarious plan by Walker to make it easier to rape women like Gawker spun it, it was requested and had no impact on actual operations. Had they done the very basics of journalism like "call the university or walker administration" before running it they would have known that.

It's a pretty brilliant PR move. Have one item provoke an over-reaction, then the real crooked stuff goes under the radar.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

It's a pretty brilliant PR move. Have one item provoke an over-reaction, then the real crooked stuff goes under the radar.

Bad reporting by a terrible tabloid is not a "brilliant PR move". This was not political judo, Walker is not playing 11 dimensional chess, Gawker just sucks.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And Walker does all his horrible and transparently crooked poo poo right in the open anyhow.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

Bad reporting by a terrible tabloid is not a "brilliant PR move". This was not political judo, Walker is not playing 11 dimensional chess, Gawker just sucks.

Who gives the lead to the tabloid? Recall that Koch Industries subsidizes Buzzfeed.

We are watching a stealth revolution of economic power to subvert the values of democracy. Wisconsin is the primary laboratory to see how fast and how far they can go.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/03/fox-news-trusted-network-poll-115887.html

Sometimes I regret living in the USA. :suicide:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Concerning the frat thing at OU, I have two things I can't figure out.

1) When the school president told them that he was closing their frat tomorrow, does that count as an eviction? Does it somehow not follow normal tenant rules about that sort of thing?

2) Even in the best conditions I am not a fan of the Greek system, but I don't want it banned or anything, just not to get state support. But does it? Do Greek houses at state universities get any privileges that other kinds of off-campus housed students don't?

edit:
Doesn't this mean that of the people who watch TV news at all anymore, they prefer a conservative news source? Considering their demographics, that's not very surprising to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 10, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

1) When the school president told them that he was closing their frat tomorrow, does that count as an eviction? Does it somehow not follow normal tenant rules about that sort of thing?

2) Even in the best conditions I am not a fan of the Greek system, but I don't want it banned or anything, just not to get state support. But does it? Do Greek houses at state universities get any privileges that other kinds of off-campus housed students don't?

1. Its an institution, the frat made the institution as a whole look horrid and brought it to national attention, therefore no matter whether the students have a free speech right, the university is moving forward in expeling the frat.

2. They get representation in university government, which comes with the ability to obtain funds. Don't like it? You're free to organize against it.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Samurai Sanders posted:

2) Even in the best conditions I am not a fan of the Greek system, but I don't want it banned or anything, just not to get state support. But does it? Do Greek houses get any privileges that other kinds of off-campus housed students don't?

1) My understanding is that house is on-campus and rented to the frat by the college, but I would imagine that the lease is contingent on the chapter being in good standing. Pull the charter (either by the University or the national society), kill the lease.

2) Again, my understanding is that at most colleges there's some sort of Pan-Hellenic Council that talks to student government and the administration to get some funding for social activities and operating costs. In return for that funding they would have to follow some rules like not letting people die of alcohol poisoning at their parties or not chanting racial slurs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

skaboomizzy posted:

1) My understanding is that house is on-campus and rented to the frat by the college, but I would imagine that the lease is contingent on the chapter being in good standing. Pull the charter (either by the University or the national society), kill the lease.
Right, so if it's a lease, doesn't that mean its governed by laws that among other things say that you can't evict someone with less than a day's notice?

That part of the article I read really jumped out at me. I'm all for them getting booted, but I didn't expect they would be able to do that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
You don't need long notice to boot someone out of dorms, I can't imagine fraternity houses legally owned by the university, which are reasonably common, would be much different.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

You think those laws still exist?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Right, so if it's a lease, doesn't that mean its governed by laws that among other things say that you can't evict someone with less than a day's notice?

Schools and colleges get to do all kinds of things that other landlords/property owners can't in the "real world". My college would suspend and kick off-campus anyone with alcohol in their dorm room, even if they were over 21.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Well, the simple answer is that SAE has the ability to challenge OU and have their day in court. The longer answer is that SAE entered a voluntary agreement with the university and that agreement is contingent upon the students' enrollment in the university, so wouldn't it be horrid if they were expelled while SAE retained the ability to keep its house for a little bit longer?

The students still have the ability to access the house for their belongings, when they make special arrangements with the uni. Right now, best thing for those kids to do is voluntarily withdrawal, which looks better than the near-certain expulsion they'd otherwise get.

You don't have to be a student at OU. By being a student at OU, you agree to play by OU's rules. Don't like it? Don't be a student at OU.

Also right now, there is no SAE at Oklahoma. The national org pulled the charter in a race to beat the University to it. They are frat-boys without a country. I've heard they have until Tuesday at midnight to get their poo poo out of there and get gone. If they tried to get into regular student housing at this point in the term, I'm pretty sure there'd be "no room at the inn". The school administration will probably pressure them into withdrawing and transferring without a fight.

Greek culture is getting examined a lot more now thanks to some of the idiots who can't stop over-sharing photos of their "illegal immigrants vs border patrol" parties and everything else that goes on in the shadier organizations. Even in my super locked-down school, the watered-down frats were still assholes relative to everyone else.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 10, 2015

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the simple answer is that SAE has the ability to challenge OU and have their day in court. The longer answer is that SAE entered a voluntary agreement with the university and that agreement is contingent upon the students' enrollment in the university, so wouldn't it be horrid if they were expelled while SAE retained the ability to keep its house for a little bit longer?

The students still have the ability to access the house for their belongings, when they make special arrangements with the uni. Right now, best thing for those kids to do is voluntarily withdrawal, which looks better than the near-certain expulsion they'd otherwise get.

You don't have to be a student at OU. By being a student at OU, you agree to play by OU's rules. Don't like it? Don't be a student at OU.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Not surprising. Almost all conservatives in the United States watch and trust Fox News. Liberals get their news from tons of different sources.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

McDowell posted:

Who gives the lead to the tabloid? Recall that Koch Industries subsidizes Buzzfeed.

We are watching a stealth revolution of economic power to subvert the values of democracy. Wisconsin is the primary laboratory to see how fast and how far they can go.

You are giving idiot Walker and psychopath Biddle way more credit than either fool deserves. It was a fuckup of bad "reporting" where they found something and rushed to crank out somce click bait to give their targeted consumer demographic their 2 minutes of hate. This was not some crafty ploy by a midwest Palpatine.

EDIT: Really? "60 MILLION DEAD IRANIANS CAN'T BE WRONG" is the best this thread can come up with for a MIGF hate title? I'm disappointed, I know you are better than that.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 10, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Fried Chicken posted:

You are giving idiot Walker and psychopath Biddle way more credit than either fool deserves. It was a fuckup of bad "reporting" where they found something and rushed to crank out somce click bait to give their targeted consumer demographic their 2 minutes of hate. This was not some crafty ploy by a midwest Palpatine.

Walker is just an agent of a larger national movement.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

EDIT: Really? "60 MILLION DEAD IRANIANS CAN'T BE WRONG" is the best this thread can come up with for a MIGF hate title? I'm disappointed, I know you are better than that.

What's really awful is that was what replaced his most excellent Chuy adornments.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

That part of the article I read really jumped out at me. I'm all for them getting booted, but I didn't expect they would be able to do that.

Sort of basically this, here is Norman Oklahoma's Landlord/Tenant law. Normally people have to be given thirty days notice if they're being kicked out, or a week if they've broken some laws or other wise trashed a place.

The City of Norman OK posted:

S 104 Arrangements not covered by act

3. Occupancy by a member of fraternal or social organization in a structure operated for the benefit of the organization.

So fishmech and others are right when they say that OU can tell the fraternity to get the hell off campus by tomorrow or we call the cops, they basically get to do whatever they want, OU owns the property to begin with.

OU's president kicked them out right around the same time their national organization rescinded the charter. I don't think anyone has actually been expelled but David Boren, president of OU, is loving pissed and reviewing the two leaked videos and will likely expel anyone who can be identified.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I assume expulsions will quickly follow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Samurai Sanders posted:

I assume expulsions will quickly follow.

Assume individuals will make arrangements to withdraw from the university, rather than face the expulsion process and the difficult questions it may raise.

If there was a OU reddit or social media, I'm sure it'd have more info on precisely what will occur or is occuring to these students. Have they been notified that they cannot come on campus without arrangements with the campus police? Have any been sent to the health center for an evaluation due to the implicit threat they pose to other students? There are plenty of ways to railroad someone through an institution; far better if they withdraw than get expelled.

• Locked thread