Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

A nuclear armed Iran is no more dangerous than a nuclear armed Israel. If we should be bombing one we should be bombing the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

My Imaginary GF posted:

If they refuse to, then we cannot guarantee Iranian lives will continue to benefit from American protection against the consequences of Iranian policy.
This sentence is an utter masterpiece.

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/michael-slater-jackson-county-sheriff-slur

quote:

A sheriff's deputy in Jackson County, Mississippi, was fired last week after he was allegedly recorded saying that he gets "paid to beat up n-----s," the Clarion-Ledger newspaper reported Friday.

During a heated dispute that took place using voice chat over the multiplayer gaming platform XBox Live, the former deputy, Michael Slater, allegedly announced his address and told an opponent: "You about to come to a f-----g paid police officer's house. I get paid to beat up n----rs like you."

The profanity-laden exchange was recorded and posted to The Free Thought Project website.

Jackson County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Cherie Ward said the department fired the three-year veteran as soon as the recording came to its attention.

"We don't condone that type of behavior or language," she told the newspaper.

The newspaper said it tried to reach Slater on Friday but was unsuccessful. The paper did not mention Slater's race.

An artist's depiction of the scene:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

That was the greatest dumb idea.

"Let's just nuke [HAPLESS COUNTRY THAT WE PAY OR INVADE TO COLONIZE SPACE FROM] so that a spaceship can fly to Mars."

Repeated nuking to get to orbit, and since it is easier to get to orbit the closer you are to the equator it really translates to "Let's just repeatedly nuke parts of Africa to send white people to Mars!"

Bonus points that owing to colonial possessions and geopolitical significance and mineral wealth, the most likely place would be nuking the Democratic Republic of the Congo, aka the former Belgian Congo.

My god... Newt's plan now makes sense.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Gravel Gravy posted:

Are US marines actively protecting Iran?

No, but they are a mad dog that the US fosters.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A tangential question: does anyone have any decent articles/books they can recommend about life in Iran? I know it's a very different place than it was right after the revolution and has modernized a great deal, but I'm mostly ignorant.

Here's a photo essay: http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/2014/10/14/nafise_motlaq_photographs_fathers_and_daughters_in_iran.html

Also look up Salon's article in partying in the Iranian Islamic Republic.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

D1Sergo posted:

Whew, I'm glad that the difference between peace and nuclear destruction is "a good deal".

Oh poo poo, I'm getting trolled aren't I.
Took you long enough to realize. Let's see how long it takes the rest of the thread to catch on.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

is....is that cover real?!?!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Shageletic posted:

Yes, and it's a pretty close trace of the original GTA V poster

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
The 3D printed gun never fails to amuse :allears:

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Shageletic posted:

http://reason.com/issues/june-2014

:chord:

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

This sentence is an utter masterpiece.

Look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

In one hand, America holds the pen of Congress. In the other, it holds the world's greatest military. Do not make Congress drop the pen. I repeat: Do not make Congress drop the pen.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

My Imaginary GF posted:

In one hand, America holds the pen of Congress. In the other, it holds the world's greatest military. Do not make Congress drop the pen. I repeat: Do not make Congress drop the pen.

Would have the same result too! Explosions!

Edit: Forgetting which thread I'm in...

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 9, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Like congress would ever declare war again.

I mean, it's not like congress would have ever even declared war on the Soviets.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Fried Chicken posted:

Repeated nuking to get to orbit, and since it is easier to get to orbit the closer you are to the equator it really translates to "Let's just repeatedly nuke parts of Africa to send white people to Mars!"

Bonus points that owing to colonial possessions and geopolitical significance and mineral wealth, the most likely place would be nuking the Democratic Republic of the Congo, aka the former Belgian Congo.

My god... Newt's plan now makes sense.
Did it really require nukes to get into orbit? I thought those were for after you're already in space?

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Trabisnikof posted:

Like congress would ever declare war again.

War? What is this war you speak of? America doesn't go to war, it authorizes the use of military force against terrorists and "associated forces" :smug:

World War 3 will be called "Global Police Action 1", or "The Great Police Action".

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

site posted:

Did it really require nukes to get into orbit? I thought those were for after you're already in space?

Oh come on, nothing wrong with a few hundred millisieverts!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

site posted:

Getting enough weight to orbit is the hard part. It's not nearly as hard once you're there.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

evilweasel posted:

Getting enough weight to orbit is the hard part. It's not nearly as hard once you're there.
I never looked too hard into it since it was a nonstarter. I was under the impression the nukes were for massive acceleration after they got far enough into space to not affect Earth with EMPs and such.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So what the hell happens now with the Iranian sedition scandal?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Grouchio posted:

Absolutely nothing of consequence.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

Absolutely nothing of consequence.
It feels like the majority of GOP senators just gathered around Ted Cruz to watch House of Cards together, and then tried miserably to replicate Frank Underwood's schemes.

This is such a strange day.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

My Imaginary GF posted:

It's way more fun when you're the boilerplate-neoliberal stand in for the 'very serious people', you gotta dial it back dude.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

evilweasel posted:

If someone decided to build a massive fuckoff spaceship they'd probably just send it up there in parts and build it in orbit nowadays. Kinda like an Ikea spaceship.

In the middle of the 20th century I gather they didn't really think that kind of poo poo through.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

If someone decided to build a massive fuckoff spaceship they'd probably just send it up there in parts and build it in orbit nowadays. Kinda like an Ikea spaceship.

In the middle of the 20th century I gather they didn't really think that kind of poo poo through.

Sure, but you're still paying to get a shitload of weight into space which Is Not Cheap.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey, Ferguson is in the news again:

quote:

The Missouri Supreme Court announced Monday that it will take the "extraordinary action" of reassigning all Ferguson municipal court cases to the circuit court, starting next week.

In a press release, the court announced the move was intended "to help restore public trust and confidence in the Ferguson municipal court division."

Ferguson municipal judge Ronald J. Brockmeyer also resigned his position this afternoon, a spokesman at his law office said. He will continue his other municipal court positions as prosecutor in Dellwood, Vinita Park and Florissant, and judge in Breckenridge Hills.

In a press release, Brockmeyer said he "recognizes that deference to a municipal judge's judgments and court rulings depends upon public confidence." He said the Department of Justice report — which delivered a scathing critique of Ferguson's court practices last week — and media reports , "regardless of their accuracy or validity have diminished the public's confidence in the Ferguson municipal court."

He said his resignation was intended to help restore public confidence and to "help Ferguson begin its healing process."

Brockmeyer was criticized in the DOJ report for acting as a revenue-generator for the court and the city, helping to bring in millions through "creative" use of fines and fees, while dismissing tickets for himself and friends. The report also rapped him for instilling fear in traffic defendants, even jailing one man for 10 days because the man refused to answer questions in court.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...f93972d91e.html

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Judge found to be involved in massive, widespread corruption? Better just let him resign from that bench but keep his other jobs. Charge him with a crime? Don't be absurd.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Evil Fluffy posted:

Judge found to be involved in massive, widespread corruption? Better just let him resign from that bench but keep his other jobs. Charge him with a crime? Don't be absurd.

Worse than that, he feels like he did nothing wrong and he's only resigning because "regardless of their accuracy" the media and DOJ report made him out to be the horrible person that he is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm not surprised considering that Missouri also built that Pruitt Igoe complex.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Does the Rep. Justin Harris adoptee clusterfuck stuff go here? Because goddamn, nothing says great foster home like a press conference to tell every what a bunch of hosed up shits your abandoned adopted children are.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

I don't even know if the US military leadership has any real idea about how to execute a conventional war anymore. This is an honest ignorance; the US hasn't been involved in a conventional war since Korea (unless I'm missing one).

A tangential question: does anyone have any decent articles/books they can recommend about life in Iran? I know it's a very different place than it was right after the revolution and has modernized a great deal, but I'm mostly ignorant.

Interestingly enough the major problem with long range planning in the US military is that it's almost solely focused on conventional war. Part of the reason we've struggled so mightily with Afghanistan and Iraq is because the military actively forgot every lesson learned from Vietnam and then refused to allocated any resources or future planning for asymmetric conflicts. This is actually a point that Gates talks about in depth in his book "Duty". He took over in the final two years of the Bush presidency and was appalled that the military planners refused to adjust for the current conflicts being fought. They were 100% focused on spending and strategic development for fighting Russia, China, Iran in a big conventional setting. Gates had to make MRAPs a personal pet project in order to get them funded and shipped to the forces in response to IED use because the military bureaucracy just loving refused to acknowledge that we haven't fought a straight conventional war in ages and allocating even a paltry sum to maintain readiness for asymmetric conflicts is anathema.

I just finished that book and while relatively bland, reading about the goddamn DoD bureaucracy is infuriating.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Interestingly enough the major problem with long range planning in the US military is that it's almost solely focused on conventional war. Part of the reason we've struggled so mightily with Afghanistan and Iraq is because the military actively forgot every lesson learned from Vietnam and then refused to allocated any resources or future planning for asymmetric conflicts. This is actually a point that Gates talks about in depth in his book "Duty". He took over in the final two years of the Bush presidency and was appalled that the military planners refused to adjust for the current conflicts being fought. They were 100% focused on spending and strategic development for fighting Russia, China, Iran in a big conventional setting. Gates had to make MRAPs a personal pet project in order to get them funded and shipped to the forces in response to IED use because the military bureaucracy just loving refused to acknowledge that we haven't fought a straight conventional war in ages and allocating even a paltry sum to maintain readiness for asymmetric conflicts is anathema.

I just finished that book and while relatively bland, reading about the goddamn DoD bureaucracy is infuriating.
That's both hilarious and deeply depressing.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I forget who was looking for things to read on Iran, but give "All the Shah's Men" a look. It's a history, but it certainly sets the stage for the modern shitshow we have.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Grouchio posted:

That superslam the Iranian foreign minister put on the entire Senate GOP was pretty great. That's gotta sting a lot and just makes them look even more crazy to anyone paying attention. :freep:

Are voters actually going to remember this, though? Probably not.

However, just imagine for a moment if kind of thing happened under a Democrat-led congress. There would be hysterical calls for public executions and a new Committee on Un-American Activities.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Gravel Gravy posted:

Yep that's what we need, a bigger vacuum for ISIS to operate in, another endless military conflict, and proof positive to pariah states that the US can't be trusted in its diplomatic dealings.

And all while North Korea stands, proving to every tin pot dictator in the world that the only way to get the United States to rule out military action is to acquire nuclear weapons. Yes, that would certainly be a positive outcome to a breakdown in negotiations to stem the spread of nuclear weapons.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

UV_Catastrophe posted:

The synergy between the right-wing in America and religious extremists in the mid east is pretty amazing.

Hawks in the US use xenophobia and jingoism to stir up new conflicts, further destabilizing the region. The resulting disorder creates new avenues for extremists to gain power and momentum, leading to increased ability to make strikes against western targets... Leading to further xenophobia and jingoism for right-wingers to exploit.

It's remarkable how easily each side helps to keep the other in business, despite their overt animosity toward one another.

It is amazing. And while all this is happening, both sides benefit at the almost universal detriment of the poor and those who desire peace.

I mean, you'd have to be a conspiracy theorist to imagine that both sides were conscious of being each other's constant supports, and were aware that the constant ramping-up of aggression between the two was the only thing maintaining their ability to keep their constituents poor and enraged. Can you imagine the terrible impact peace would have on the US arms industry? Or on ISIS recruitment numbers?

But of course, we must keep fighting or the other guy wins. And what would we spend our trillions on if we didn't have foreign wars? loving infrastructure?

No, any strategy that ENDED the existence of the other ideology, ESPECIALLY if it were through peaceful or humanitarian means would permanently shut down the flow of easy money, so of course the GOP is writing personal letters to Iran to keep the tension up.

It still continues to amaze me that this forum cannot see any similarities between the way the GOP maintains mutually beneficial tension with Mid-east religious extremists, and how they do the same with the Democratic party in America. Both groups only survive BECAUSE of endless war without solutions, and we, the same disprivileged group in each case, have completely bought the same line of bullshit every time: no third way exists, so keep us both in power lest something awful happens.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PhilippAchtel posted:

And all while North Korea stands, proving to every tin pot dictator in the world that the only way to get the United States to rule out military action is to acquire nuclear weapons. Yes, that would certainly be a positive outcome to a breakdown in negotiations to stem the spread of nuclear weapons.

Lol, no. You're aware they also weren't touched before they got a purported nuke in 2006, right? And no one takes their program seriously because their only delivery method is road transport?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Quidam Viator posted:

It still continues to amaze me that this forum cannot see any similarities between the way the GOP maintains mutually beneficial tension with Mid-east religious extremists, and how they do the same with the Democratic party in America. Both groups only survive BECAUSE of endless war without solutions, and we, the same disprivileged group in each case, have completely bought the same line of bullshit every time: no third way exists, so keep us both in power lest something awful happens.
Solution: Make believing that Barack Obama is a Muslim a criminal offense punishable by disenfranchisement.

I just fixed America.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Have a really fascinating article about the quiet/underground sexual revolution happening in Iran right now:
High heels and hijabs: Iran’s sexual revolution

quote:

Some shifts in attitude in Tahmineh’s community have been more obvious. “My mum still whispers the word divorce, as it’s still seen as a shameful thing, but whereas ten years ago she didn’t know anyone who had divorced, now she knows two divorcees,” she says. Over the past ten years, divorces have tripled in Iran, with one in every five marriages ending – the ratio is even higher in the capital.
--
In a suburb of eastern Tehran, a mullah does swift business issuing temporary marriage certificates to young unmarried couples wanting to go on holiday together (a marriage certificate is needed in order to share a hotel room) and couples wanting to live together but not commit to marriage. The mullah admits that many of his clients are married men who keep concubines and use sigheh as protection from the law. Their wives rarely know about the husbands’ temporary marriages. “At least they’re not being unfaithful!” he says, without irony. He bemoans the scourge of infidelity that is sweeping the city.:lol:
--
For many, continually having to lie and hide natural urges is taking its toll on normal sexual interaction. Some of the younger generation are taking increasing risks and are having sex in parks and in cars, and flashing each other in public. They are filming themselves doing it, sometimes uploading the videos to the internet without even bothering to conceal their faces. Porn has spread through all age groups and social classes. It is bought and sold on the streets and in bazaars and swapped between friends. In some homes, triple-X porn is beamed in by satellite, the channels unlocked for a price by underground television technicians.
The whole article is absolutely fascinating to read, and gives me hope that the stranglehold the Religious Authorities have on Iran can start to end, maybe even in tandem with ending Iran's status as a US pariah if a nuclear deal is reached.

Starting a war/bombing Iran would do exactly the opposite of this, and gently caress everything up in a depressingly bad way.:(

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nintendo Kid posted:

And no one takes their program seriously because their only delivery method is road transport?

But that is how Iran will attack our cities if we let Obama appease the Ayatollah!

• Locked thread