Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

FAMS effectiveness against crime and terror, has also been questioned. According to Congressman John J. Duncan, the air marshal program has led to only 4.2 arrests a year, at an average cost of $200 million per arrest. He argued that this represents a win of the perceived dangers of terror, supported by a profit center-type approach, over realistic spending priorities.[39][40]

how many of those arrests are just some guy getting too drunk and rowdy? 99%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

vyelkin posted:

According to that same congressman quoted in the Wikipedia, basically the only security change since 9/11 that has actually helped to stop any future 9/11 is that now they lock the cockpit doors in airplanes. Everything else is just billions of dollars thrown away on security theatre.

The locking reinforced door allowed a German pilot to murder-suicide his entire flight. It's bizarre that before that they didn't require one other person to be in the cockpit at all times.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

The locking reinforced door allowed a German pilot to murder-suicide his entire flight. It's bizarre that before that they didn't require one other person to be in the cockpit at all times.

As with Malaysia 370 I'm not sure there's a lot one could do if a pilot decides to kill himself and everyone else

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LastInLine posted:

As with Malaysia 370 I'm not sure there's a lot one could do if a pilot decides to kill himself and everyone else

A dude tried to kill the flight crew and crash a freight plane as an insurance scam, and failed.

E: oh there were three crew members, I guess it was a pretty bad plan to begin with.

3D Megadoodoo has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Sep 14, 2020

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Eat This Glob posted:

liberty cabbage in the us and alsatian dog in the UK

The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in 2004, Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry entered the village grocery store in Buchanan, Ohio and asked store owners Paul and Debra McKnight, “Can I get me a hunting license here?” Kerry bought the license for $140. Though Kerry was actually a hunter, the sight of a Boston patrician speaking in an exaggerated rural dialect was seen by many rural Americans as disingenuous, patronizing and downright insulting.

Along these same lines, in 2007, Republican presidential aspirant Mitt Romney told a voter: “I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I’ve been a hunter pretty much all my life.” It was later reveled that Romney had only hunted twice in his life. In an effort to ameliorate the damage, Romney later said: “I’m not a big-game hunter. I’ve made that very clear. I’ve always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

vyelkin posted:

According to that same congressman quoted in the Wikipedia, basically the only security change since 9/11 that has actually helped to stop any future 9/11 is that now they lock the cockpit doors in airplanes. Everything else is just billions of dollars thrown away on security theatre.

the other change is now people believe hijackers will kill everyone onboard the plane instead of giving you a free vacation to cuba, so instead of everyone cooperating because no big deal, people are gonna fight for their lives against the hijackers

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

vyelkin posted:

in 2004, Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry entered the village grocery store in Buchanan, Ohio and asked store owners Paul and Debra McKnight, “Can I get me a hunting license here?” Kerry bought the license for $140. Though Kerry was actually a hunter, the sight of a Boston patrician speaking in an exaggerated rural dialect was seen by many rural Americans as disingenuous, patronizing and downright insulting.

Along these same lines, in 2007, Republican presidential aspirant Mitt Romney told a voter: “I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I’ve been a hunter pretty much all my life.” It was later reveled that Romney had only hunted twice in his life. In an effort to ameliorate the damage, Romney later said: “I’m not a big-game hunter. I’ve made that very clear. I’ve always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will.”

Lmao I forgot about the “small varmints” quote.

I remember Kerry doing a staged pheasant hunt

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fathers_4_Justice

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy

vyelkin posted:

In the elizabeth warren beer catastrophe, when she says to her husband " I'm gonna get me a beer"

They just can't help themselves

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thetan_guy42 posted:

In the elizabeth warren beer catastrophe, when she says to her husband " I'm gonna get me a beer"

They just can't help themselves

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084647050208333825

still one of the all-time greats

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Aidan_702 posted:

when did this happen? I got a bit confused because apparently I had been following someone with the same twitter name but slightly differently spelled.

on that note I checked the twitter account with that name which is protected, and it had ebaumsworld in the bio.

33 minutes ago. That site is still around

Do you think 207_Nadia is saying the same thing about us on ebaumsworld right this very moment

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That time the world superpower was duped by a known charlatan. :v:

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

former glory posted:

you'll have to be more specific

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Flavius Aetass posted:

you'll have to be more specific

Just talking about Rasputin.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/karol/status/1133036130839011328

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Chernobyl was over a year ago?! What the gently caress.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Milo and POTUS posted:

Chernobyl was over a year ago?! What the gently caress.

it was 34 years ago

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Expats always feel a duty to belittle one country and praise another. Next week she'll complain that the US doesn't have good tea like growing up in the USSR or w/e

it doesn't mean anything

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I mean if you watch the show they seemed extremely loving concerned

they killed those poor dogs! so glad I live in a country that loves dogs and doesn't rear end backwards just kill everything because it thinks radiation is way more important than it is just because it sounds scary!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mostly posted that because COVID-19 was (the latest) Chernobyl-esque test of governance the US had to face up to, and oops, looks like it loving failed at it

like can you imagine chuds whipping out cards declaring that they have a religious exemption to having to wear radiation suits, while Trump tells people to chug iodide tablets and Fox News pundits asking "well did they die OF radiation, or WITH radiation HMMM???"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Bad comparison, America feels no shame in its destruction

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

former glory posted:

South Korea may not be a superpower but I think they did it better

Norwegian princess banging a shaman is great but much less political

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Bernie 2020 campaign

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/eugenegu/status/1084647839555149824?s=20

Lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1084644517238714369

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Trupm seems to only know things which were made into movies.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Trupm seems to only know things which were made into movies.

Remember the time he had a meeting with Vietnam vets and it devolved into him claiming Agent Orange was "that stuff from that movie" (napalm in Apocalypse Now) and Trump polled the room to see if he was wrong or not and when he lost the vote said "well I think you just didn't like the movie".

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Chief Justice Patience Drake "Pat" Roggensack of the Wisconsin Supreme Court

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mostly posted that because COVID-19 was (the latest) Chernobyl-esque test of governance the US had to face up to, and oops, looks like it loving failed at it

like can you imagine chuds whipping out cards declaring that they have a religious exemption to having to wear radiation suits, while Trump tells people to chug iodide tablets and Fox News pundits asking "well did they die OF radiation, or WITH radiation HMMM???"

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

we're not going to hold a debate because we don't want to platform Donald Trump, the president of the United States of America and therefore the most famous and powerful man in the world

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

net work error posted:

The Bernie 2020 campaign

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

that short stretch of time when all the worst assholes were shaking in their boots at the thought of Wow! President Bernie!.... wish I could bottle that feeling and chug it rn.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chris Matthews saying Bernie winning reminded him of the Nazis marching into Paris, and then promptly getting fired, I think for unrelated sex pest stuff

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

loving snake...

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

vyelkin posted:

Chris Matthews saying Bernie winning reminded him of the Nazis marching into Paris, and then promptly getting fired, I think for unrelated sex pest stuff

lol he flipped out about bernie bros publicly executing him in central park

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

vyelkin posted:

yep

he had been sexually harassing female employees at CNN with unwanted sexual advances for over a decade and CNN had been covering for him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/cgasparino/status/730559950804520961?s=21

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

drat if only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What in god's name was this in reference to lol