Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah anime is extremely good

Shifty Pony posted:

isn't the Tohou fan base several orders of magnitude more nuts than most anime fan bases?
probably because touhou is video games and anime at the same time, and we all know gamers and anime fan bases are the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thank you elon for finally proving anime is always bad

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Cerebral Bore posted:

lol yea, the motherfucker with all of an B.Sc in Physics and who lasted all of two days in a Ph.D program sure has them equations flying around in his head at all times. Like Jesus gently caress, is this really how easy it is to get your own cult of personality?

It’s the being rich part that gets him the cult. You buy enough smart people and you too can be a middle aged twerp who still talks like a smug 17 year old basement dweller who is hanging on for dear life in the last honors class that hasn’t dropped him (English), and be seen as the Hermes Trismegistus of epic loving bacon science.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

I can't wait for my effort spent learning machine learning and AI becoming worthless, a forbidden swear word in business for 30 years as the current bazinga wave of abusing it to overpromise and underdeliver ruins the name of the whole science and engineering field and nobody is going to want to put any money into it.

It’s already ruined.
You’re too late.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

orcinus posted:

It’s already ruined.
You’re too late.

seems we are well into the "oh wait this actually almost always sucks, someone please figure out how to stop companies/marketing from trying to jam it into everything" part of the cycle.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

seems we are well into the "oh wait this actually almost always sucks, someone please figure out how to stop companies/marketing from trying to jam it into everything" part of the cycle.

maybe they should put it on the BLOCKCHAIN

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

orcinus posted:

It’s already ruined.
You’re too late.

I dunno, Prague is still seems abuzz with a fuckton of fresh tech startups that're perma hiring anyone and everyone who can spell "big data"; I'm not looking for a job (happy with ML untainted embedded firmwared development) but there's still a fuckton of ads for local startups in the mass transit as well as on the internet.

Maybe larger existing companies have gotten wary of it but it seems that the investment enthusiasm still hasn't dried up.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Teal posted:

I dunno, Prague is still seems abuzz with a fuckton of fresh tech startups that're perma hiring anyone and everyone who can spell "big data"; I'm not looking for a job (happy with ML untainted embedded firmwared development) but there's still a fuckton of ads for local startups in the mass transit as well as on the internet.

Maybe larger existing companies have gotten wary of it but it seems that the investment enthusiasm still hasn't dried up.

It’s about the same everywhere.
That’s why i’m saying it’s ruined.

Just like IoT before it.

Big data is going out of vogue as a buzzword already, luckily, so it might survive the carnage.

Agronox posted:

maybe they should put it on the BLOCKCHAIN

Blockchain-powered Internet-of-Things Machine Learning AI Neural Network

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Some other older buzzwords that seem to be in the clear now:
Decentralized and distributed (unless combined with blockchain)
Peer-to-peer
Mesh

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://github.com/deeppomf/DeepCreamPy

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember when he attacked and insulted an actual scientist because she works in nanomechanics research

The truly funny thing about it was that 3 years prior...

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-calls-himself-a-nano-manager-2015-1

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Blockchain anime titties, when?

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

quote:

"You can always tell when someone's left an Elon meeting: they're defeated," wrote a Quora user claiming to be a SpaceX engineer. "[Musk] won't hesitate to throw out six months of work because it's not pretty enough or it's not 'badass' enough."

love this quote

imagine seeing this mental 12 year old as a genius

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

thanks, I hate it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Karl Sharks posted:

love this quote

true sign of leadership: leave no subordinate undefeated

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shifty Pony posted:

Do we have like hair dyes or detergents with like "AI power" on the packaging yet?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Tesla managing to stay positive in today’s blood bath in the stock market somehow.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Limitations posted:

It does NOT work with:

- Censorship of anus

another failed AI

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Teal posted:

it’s easy to find a job and worthwhile to do as a career- hell its even useful when applied correctly with an appropriate amount of domain knowledge.

but I think the overpromising is coming from inside the industry. true AI won’t look anything like what we call “AI” today

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Karl Sharks posted:

love this quote

Imagine seeing his ”management” practices as good.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

orcinus posted:

Imagine seeing his ”management” practices as good.

yeah every thing i've seen about anything he does that his fans try to paint as positive,if they were told about some non-musk type with those qualities would think that manager/CEO is a shithead

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Karl Sharks posted:

yeah every thing i've seen about anything he does that his fans try to paint as positive,if they were told about some non-musk type with those qualities would think that manager/CEO is a shithead

And that's what makes the whole thing stink of childishness: that Elon is "different=special=good"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1055834239273496576?s=20

Buying a car that can be taken away from you remotely, while you sleep - sounds like a great proposition.
Give me ten.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

orcinus posted:

Buying a car that can be taken away from you remotely, while you sleep - sounds like a great proposition.
Give me ten.

loving incredible.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1055833918140805121?s=20

Chaotic Spookiness, Politics, and Murder > I love the car, but...

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/vucanthi/status/1055519767031775232?s=20

Lol

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

orcinus posted:

Give me ten.

When are the cops going to beat this man's rear end for refusing to give up the car he bought and paid for and sat down in

I mean poo poo it worked for United

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Who's accepting a car at delivery with that many issues and then asks the internet how to proceed. Wtf. These are delivery inspection issues not stuff you find after days or weeks, especially when your company refuses warranty on wet cars.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Combat Theory posted:

Who's accepting a car at delivery with that many issues and then asks the internet how to proceed. Wtf. These are delivery inspection issues not stuff you find after days or weeks, especially when your company refuses warranty on wet cars.

epic sirs, that's who

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
i had cause to thumb through the owner materials that came with our honda fit after i replaced the battery and tlwas reminded that there were 20+ pages of inspections that we went through with the dealership before we took it home

lmao

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/liketeslakim/status/1055620396400238592?s=21

“loot box”

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
What in the gently caress? Isn't the roadstar scheduled for early 2020? And referral bonuses? If another company like gm was doing this people would be screaming that it's a scam lmfao

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Food Boner posted:

i had cause to thumb through the owner materials that came with our honda fit after i replaced the battery and tlwas reminded that there were 20+ pages of inspections that we went through with the dealership before we took it home

lmao

wow, look at this cucked car company, moving slow and not breaking things, and delivering a functioning product. what the gently caress is that. that's not disruptive at all

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

but money can buy those, it explicitly is buying them because you earn them through referrals, which is other people giving you money ???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ryde posted:

Did Musk ever explain his dumb-rear end opinion on why he thought nanotech was bullshit?

lol no

https://twitter.com/rusteenh/status/1000143217235451904

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thank you elon for finally proving anime is always bad

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

you know, "move fast and break things" is a terrible motto for a car company

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wheany posted:

Do we have like hair dyes or detergents with like "AI power" on the packaging yet?

close: https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2018/02/14/i-am-ai-episode-4-modiface/

quote:

The days of hair coloring being characterized by failed henna experiments and leaps of faith at salons will soon be a thing of the past, thanks to AI.

Episode 4 of our “I Am AI” docuseries introduces ModiFace, a Toronto-based company that’s transforming the way people choose new hair colors and, along with it, the multi-billion dollar hair care industry.

ModiFace has been bringing augmented reality to the beauty industry for the past decade. The company’s founder and CEO, Parham Aarabi, had applied his work on using AI for face tracking and lip detection to enable consumers to see what beauty products would look like when applied.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stexils posted:

you know, "move fast and break things" is a terrible motto for a car company

actually their ceo's motto, which he instills in his children, is that safety is third

and that there is no #2, but safety is still third

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually their ceo's motto, which he instills in his children, is that safety is third

and that there is no #2, but safety is still third

which is accurate, because at facebook all the numbers are made up anyways