Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's nothing edgy or rebellious about super bad opinions here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

There's nothing edgy or rebellious about super bad opinions here.

It's actually my entire posting strategy,and I'm the very model of a modern BSS white noise poster.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've got extremely good opinions but I'm withholding them to punish y'all, and instead you get whatever this is.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zoux posted:

I've got extremely good opinions but I'm withholding them to punish y'all, and instead you get whatever this is.

Nice new skull, btw.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm edgy and rebellious but I do it ironically. Mojo was right!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Nice new skull, btw.

Thanks, I love skulls.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

zoux posted:

Thanks, I love skulls.

Mike mignola puppet account spotted

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait I meant Skrulls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I wish people would shut the gently caress up about what a horrible monster Hillary Clinton is.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lurdiak posted:

I wish people would shut the gently caress up about what a horrible monster Hillary Clinton is.

Well get used to it. We probably have at least 4 and a half years of it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The Bernie supporters are actually the most vicious, which is weird.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

The Bernie supporters are actually the most vicious, which is weird.

It was the same way in 2008. Everyone came around by the end of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Clinton has supporters who were full crazy on Obama too. It's just what modern elections are like.

That said the fact that we're going to be dealing with May-to-November of Clinton vs Trump is enough to make me desperately wish I was in a coma.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If Trump were to win, at least we'd get four(? Barring impeachment, total war, or the collapse of Western civilization, I guess) years with more unflattering appearances of the real-world POTUS in superhero comics than even Reagan had. That's at least some sort of entertainment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Squizzle posted:

If Trump were to win, at least we'd get four(? Barring impeachment, total war, or the collapse of Western civilization, I guess) years with more unflattering appearances of the real-world POTUS in superhero comics than even Reagan had. That's at least some sort of entertainment.

This Prez reboot sucks!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Squizzle posted:

I doubt any parody in comic books of Trumps reign will seem satirical enough. I honestly don't know how comics will make him more abhorrent than he already is.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
If you think this poo poo is nuts, I'm reading a terrible late-90s fantasy novel with thinly veiled caricatures of the Clintons and man, I forgot how insane the right was about those dudes before we got to this level.

They wife swap and give half the liberals turbo-AIDS.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Madkal posted:

I doubt any parody in comic books of Trumps reign will seem satirical enough. I honestly don't know how comics will make him more abhorrent than he already is.

Draw him like Cruz.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

END ME SCOOB posted:

If you think this poo poo is nuts, I'm reading a terrible late-90s fantasy novel with thinly veiled caricatures of the Clintons and man, I forgot how insane the right was about those dudes before we got to this level.

I didn't know Heinlein wrote fantasy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Squizzle posted:

They'd have to reboot the Ultimate universe so we can see Trump's Ultimates. They'd probably be a lot like Bush's, but we'd get Ultimates branded water and steaks.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It would be Trumps branded because really, it's the exact same meaning.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Ghostlight posted:

I didn't know Heinlein wrote fantasy.

This dude is a dyed-in-the-wool hardcore Rand loving Objectivist, so worse.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

END ME SCOOB posted:

gently caress Terry Goodkind and his awful, rapey writing.

I figure this may be the thread to discuss how painfully oblivious/autistic people in comic stores can be. I was picking up my copy of Wicked & Divine today and ended up behind Patton Oswalt in line. A fan of his comes in the store, recognizes him and immediately rushes up to him:
Neckbeard: "Mr. Oswalt, I'm your biggest fan! Can I get a picture with you?"
Patton: "Now's not a good time."
Neckbeard: "Can I go over there and take a picture of you from a distance?"
Patton: "Please don't."

Patton Oswalt has been dealing with the sudden, unexpected and surprisingly-publicized death of his wife over the last two weeks. God dammit, comic fan.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So is Gerry Conway supposed to be like... good? Because I've been reading some Marvel Team-Up and his stories tend to be at the Spidey Super Stories level of creativity and logic without the charm. This guy named Basil Esks became The Basilisk, and then robots caused earthquakes to loosen Manhattan from its foundations so they could use a submarine to pull the entire island out to sea and hold it ransom. That particular story was so ridiculous that it had an editor's note jokingly apologizing for how far-fetched it was. Was he just trying to keep the book accessible to younger readers or something? Or is this just what comics were like in the 70s and I've been spoiled by reading actually good books from the era?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
None of that sounds out of place for even the "good" stories of the era so I dunno.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I suppose I'm not painting a very clear picture with just those two examples.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

It sounds no less far-fetched than when Dr Doom had the Puppetmaster hook the Fantastic Four up to a machine to transport their consciousness into doll-sized clones just so that he could pretend to be a professor and poo poo on an artificially-stupid Reed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Since I'm kinda tired and not feeling up to trying to mount a cogent argument for why I can accept Stan Lee goofiness over the goofiness of Conway (other than to just shrug and say that it's clumsily written and lacks charm), I'm going to post these panels out of context to make him look bad.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I do a DC-themed OP for the May Australian Politics thread, and suddenly the major daily newspaper here is doing 3D hologram variant covers of the treasurer as Superman :tinfoil:

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Lurdiak posted:

So is Gerry Conway supposed to be like... good?

Going back into my youth, he was always one of the guys who was just.... there. He was never particularly bad but he certainly wasn't ever great. Pretty much the definition of a journeyman writer.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I think Mark Millar and Garth Ennis are bad writers. I know I'm not alone but I just had to put that out there.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

They've both written some things I really enjoy, but they've also written a bunch of loving garbage that I'm annoyed I wasted my time reading.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like Millar has an occasional hit amongst a sea of misses, and with Ennis, you probably know what you're getting before you get in on it and you'll either like it or you won't.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Going to do a reverse question here seeing people bring up Ennis and Millar and people generally liking their older stuff more than their newer stuff, so which creators later outputs for succeed their your earlier output.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do you want to try that question again?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Lurdiak posted:

Do you want to try that question again?

I think he's going with "Generally, people prefer the earlier works of Ennis/Millar over latter-day projects - are there creators with the inverse issue, where they debuted terrible and now give consistently quality product?"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Millar might be making his best work now, though.
Huck was really sweet.

Got high hopes for his Greg Capullo comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 5, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think he's going with "Generally, people prefer the earlier works of Ennis/Millar over latter-day projects - are there creators with the inverse issue, where they debuted terrible and now give consistently quality product?"

Yep, pretty much this.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I think Hickman's overall output has improved quite a bit, although I've heard Manhattan Projects has gone downhill.

I'll hesitantly say Moore because I think his overall output during the ABC period was stronger than anything prior, plus I really loved Promethea.

Most well known creators, though, I feel have a really strong middle period more than anything else. Everyone had to churn out some mediocre 2000AD comics first!

I'll toss in Soule, I think he's steadily improved.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 21:49 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I mean, I suppose Stan, Steve and Jack were all quite far along their careers when they turned out their best work. But even they have Stripperellas and Hawk and Doves tarnishing that.

• Locked thread