Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I would argue that while Morgan beating Edmunds is good, it doesn't actually mean anything because his name was listed first on the ballot. The governor's party is listed first for every partisan race, but the Supreme Court is "nonpartisan" so it was random order and Morgan got listed on top. It appears that in many areas, people just went down the list filling in the top bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Mons Hubris posted:

I would argue that while Morgan beating Edmunds is good, it doesn't actually mean anything because his name was listed first on the ballot. The governor's party is listed first for every partisan race, but the Supreme Court is "nonpartisan" so it was random order and Morgan got listed on top. It appears that in many areas, people just went down the list filling in the top bubble.

I have to admit, I cynically voted for Morgan in the primaries because I figured republicans would know a female justice wasn't theirs, and Morgan is a nice conservative-ish sounding name so they were more likely to accidentally vote for him. That strategy paid off!

If democrats were really organized and smart about it they could've turned out super hard for the second primary and made both their candidates the #1 and #2 over Edmunds, and then it wouldn't have mattered who won in the general. That's the kind of stuff we should be doing.

Bodyholes has issued a correction as of 22:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
If I remember correctly, at the time that Pence was coming out with his insane "refusing service to gay people" bill in Indiana, didn't McCrory come out with a statement kinda putting down the thought of NC doing the same? And then comes a bunch of spending scandals, and suddenly he's scrambling for the theocrat vote and endorsing HB2. That's what really galls me, is that he's not even a True Believer, he's just a cynical creep desperate for power over any sense of personal branding even. But maybe I'm misremembering.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
there was an interview a couple years back with some dude who knew him from catawba college young republicans and said he was very much a social conservative at the time

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

So, here's a question, why wasn't Clinton a huge drag on Cooper like she was on Chris Koster in MO? I still don't get how Greitens won here comparatively, since his entire platform was "gently caress unions" and MO has enough union support that they still haven't managed to pass right-to-work when even WI and MI did it.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

I think a lot of people just really fuckin' hate Pat McCrory

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah McCrory really overplayed his hand, he passed all sorts of far-right bullshit and told the businesses who hated it to gently caress off, it was really foolish. He could have done the same thing and been a little less of a dick about it and probably could have been reelected.

There was no need to call every business that opposed HB2 leftist commies or whatever but they did it anyways and paid the price.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if a competent candidate had been at the top of the ticket cooper would've destroyed mccrory

she did drag down cooper's numbers, but not enough because

Mons Hubris posted:

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Mons Hubris posted:

Even apart from HB2, he had been pissing off too many people. Remember the woman in his cabinet for a special position he had created despite cutting teachers' pay? What about the hidden abortion amendment in the motorcycle safety bill? And his total silence on coal ash in the water?

A better candidate at the top of the ticket could have been a blow out for Cooper, but I'll take it.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Even apart from HB2, he had been pissing off too many people. Remember the woman in his cabinet for a special position he had created despite cutting teachers' pay? What about the hidden abortion amendment in the motorcycle safety bill? And his total silence on coal ash in the water?

A better candidate at the top of the ticket could have been a blow out for Cooper, but I'll take it.

There was something there for almost everyone to hate. My dad, unfortunately, gave no craps about HB2 (until it effected SPORTS). What got him over to Cooper was McRory's terrible environmental record.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Mons Hubris posted:

The other thing to note is that he went from "oh look, he's Art Pope's puppet and mouth piece, how unoriginal and not particularly clever" to "this guy's actively a shitlord and used up every last modicum of both respect and deniability" in almost an instant. It wasn't difficult to discern that he was a clown and a regressive rear end in a top hat, but more than a few people were caught off guard at how despicable and depraved he turned out to be.

Since the HB2 garbage went down, a lot of people were counting down the days until election day. When he immediately started whining and making appeals with "you gotta respect the process" when the timer read T-Minus 0 and flipped to T-Plus 0, the amount of patience reserves also ticked down to 0. Never mind the simultaneous (and shoddily executed) lawsuits or the fact that he's probably going to pack the court, that's just the cherry on top of his poo poo sundae. To borrow Chapo Trap House's "raw nerve ending" description that encapsulates Trump's impulsive tweeting habits, my raw nerve ending reaction since November 8th has been "YOU FUCKIN' gently caress GET THE gently caress OUT" whenever Mayor McCheese has been in the news.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

The depressing thing is that the GA is actually behind 95% of this stuff, so make sure your friends and family get out and vote in the 2017 special election.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

So how long until Cheeto Benito names McCrory to the federal election commission or something

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Lord of Pie posted:

So how long until Cheeto Benito names McCrory to the federal election commission or something

Jesus, this would be the exact type of position he would give McCrory. :psycuck:

Edit: meant to do :psyduck: but I will leave my original interpretation in

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lord of Pie posted:

energy secretary

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

FEMA Director.

He's only comfortable when wearing an emergency management jumpsuit.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Trump needs a new McDonald's runner. He has also heard tales of this Mayor McCheese and his "hamburgling"...

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

big juicy nectarine posted:

If I remember correctly, at the time that Pence was coming out with his insane "refusing service to gay people" bill in Indiana, didn't McCrory come out with a statement kinda putting down the thought of NC doing the same? And then comes a bunch of spending scandals, and suddenly he's scrambling for the theocrat vote and endorsing HB2. That's what really galls me, is that he's not even a True Believer, he's just a cynical creep desperate for power over any sense of personal branding even. But maybe I'm misremembering.

IIRC (and it's second-hand stuff since I've got family in the state), McCrory got in during the big counter-punch to Obama's election and the Democratic wave that came with it, since apparently the Governor of NC before McCrory was an idiot as well. But when McCrory was elected the NC GOP got a veto-proof majority of both houses and proceeded to use that to ram through every single thing they'd wanted to do in the past half-century or so, everything short of legalizing slavery. McCrory had no choice but to rubber-stamp what they wanted and when the protests came, he was the one who ended up being the focal point since he's the highest on the food chain.

Now, the HB2 stuff was that Charlotte had passed some anti-discrimination legislature and like literally the next day the state legislature held an emergency session where the bathroom bill was passed, along with another round of laws that punished anyone for not being a straight white male. That and the ensuing backlash is what really pushed people against McCrory, but almost not enough and apparently McCrory ran on HB2 actually being good for the state and Republicans won every other race in the state, so I guess NC was pretty close to affirming everything McCrory and the GOP has done in the past four years.

I've always had this cynical belief that if you could remove (or at least camouflage) the racial aspect, you could get slavery re-legalized in all but name, and if any state's going to take a swing at it, I'd fully expect North Carolina to try. Another couple of elections and we may see if they'll send my family to the fields.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You dont even need to remove the racial aspect completely, plausible deniability would probably be enough

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Capitalist-disguised slavery is already real

\_

Need a seat?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

C. Everett Koop posted:

IIRC (and it's second-hand stuff since I've got family in the state), McCrory got in during the big counter-punch to Obama's election and the Democratic wave that came with it, since apparently the Governor of NC before McCrory was an idiot as well

what happened was bev perdue decided about 18 months before the election she wasn't gonna run again, which left the eventual nominee walter dalton short on time to do any fundraising or campaigning, whereas mccrory never stopped campaigning or fundraising since losing in 2008

on top of that, dalton was publicly seen as tied to the old democratic machine that had seen about a half dozen people get hauled up on corruption charges a few years prior, and a lot of democrats wound up crossing over to vote for mccrory

if cooper had run in 2012 as many had hoped, mccrory likely would've narrowly lost then

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I don't think there was any chance to beat McCrory in 2012. He was perceived as a moderate back then, and he was a popular mayor from a major city. Democrats had pissed on their own constituency for so long, letting them lose was starting to look appealing to many people. A lot of people didn't grasp the importance of having a democratic governor's veto, even a lovely democrat's, and many of those people are regretting their vote still.

I think a similar dynamic is playing out nationally. People will soon see how much shittier a Republican president can actually be even compared to the shittiest democrat. The last four years in NC will be the next four years nationwide.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Bodyholes posted:

I don't think there was any chance to beat McCrory in 2012. He was perceived as a moderate back then, and he was a popular mayor from a major city. Democrats had pissed on their own constituency for so long, letting them lose was starting to look appealing to many people. A lot of people didn't grasp the importance of having a democratic governor's veto, even a lovely democrat's, and many of those people are regretting their vote still.

I think a similar dynamic is playing out nationally. People will soon see how much shittier a Republican president can actually be even compared to the shittiest democrat. The last four years in NC will be the next four years nationwide.

We're gonna get the full Kansas

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Bodyholes posted:

Yeah, I voted McCrory in 2012 because he acted fairly moderate and he liked choo-choos, and Walter Dalton was a nice big slice of milquetoast who enjoyed a nice bowl of unflavored ice milk in the evenings to follow his dinner (which was almost always a nice bowl of peas). "Regretting [my] vote" doesn't even begin to cover it.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Stupid bitch

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there is no such thing as a moderate Republican. they're either hiding the crazy very well or will just be a rubber stamp for legislative nutjobs

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

there is no such thing as a moderate Republican. they're either hiding the crazy very well or will just be a rubber stamp for legislative nutjobs

(smiles tepidly) That's simply not true... (furrows brow, folksily tilts head toward the child slave basement closet)

Edit: dammit republicans took creepy basement accusations away from us

sweart gliwere has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Dec 11, 2016

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
He's right of Margaret Thatcher but at least he has more personality[?] than the democrat [not sure what his personality is really, boring and smug?]

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Walter Dalton getting a late start on his campaign is only one of the hundreds of things we can blame on Bev Perdue.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

There are plenty of moderate Republicans. There are very few moderate republican politicians, as most of of them have long since switched to the Democratic party and started advocating metric system adoption as their most important campaign plank.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

There are plenty of moderate Republicans. There are very few moderate republican politicians, as most of of them have long since switched to the Democratic party and started advocating metric system adoption as their most important campaign plank.

A lot of the moderate republicans were forced out of office as incumbents as the Republican base moved Right and alt-Right. Imagine if you are a moderate incumbent Republican and you in a Republican safe district having to face tea party or alt-Right generation Republican(climate change is a left wing conspiracy and Japanese Internment camps seemed like a reasonable thing to do) in a primary where you are voted in by only Republicans.

Believe it or not there are moderate Republicans they just aren't in any positions of power anymore and its hard to convince them that moderate democrats are closer to their worldview then the Republican party is today.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
"moderate Republicans" are called Democrats. What doesn't exist is a legitimate left party in the US.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

He's right of Margaret Thatcher but at least he has more personality[?] than the democrat [not sure what his personality is really, boring and smug?]

He'd done nothing right of Bill Clinton at that point and Dalton's entire platform was "I was Lieutenant Governor once", presumably because "I am a panicked little man bereft of ideas" didn't play very well. Imagine Mitt Romney without the personality or resume.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Mons Hubris posted:

Yeah basically since he was elected Gov.

My husband's job of 10 years had closed its NC location in 2012 so he was actually getting funds to go to school while unemployed... until Pat McCrotch stepped in. That program was cut immediately. We had to make a lot of adjustments but he graduated this spring with his bachelor's - no thanks to McCrotch - but I wonder about all the others who were affected by that cut who couldn't continue going to school. loving pisses me off. He screwed over a lot of people. God loving damnit I'm glad he's gone.

I don't remember him being this loving lovely as a mayor - that was mid 90s I think?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inadequate Areolas posted:

I don't remember him being this loving lovely as a mayor - that was mid 90s I think?

that's because charlotte has a weak mayor system and the city manager and council actually run the place

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
2016 has shown that no good thing can happen without an equal or greater bad thing happening

So buckle up for Pat McCrory, cabinet member of the Trump administration

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

He'd done nothing right of Bill Clinton at that point and Dalton's entire platform was "I was Lieutenant Governor once", presumably because "I am a panicked little man bereft of ideas" didn't play very well. Imagine Mitt Romney without the personality or resume.

I didn't vote for him then, I didnt vote for him for mayoral, and he's [shocking] still a retard gas bag

All he's ever done is steal credit from the city council and make bad choices and have 0 ethics

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

GEMorris posted:

Walter Dalton getting a late start on his campaign is only one of the hundreds of things we can blame on Bev Perdue.

Perdue also had that "maybe we shouldn't have elections for a while" gaffe which hurt Dalton even further.

Democrats in general are absolutely pathetic. Remember when they still had control of many legislatures and governorships in red states shortly after 2000, and they could've passed electoral college reform right then? But they didn't? And now they will never get a chance because Republicans picked up all those states?

Remember when Democrats saw the polls in 2010 and knew a big wave was coming, and could've passed legislation to make redistricting nonpartisan in many states they knew they were going to lose, but they didn't because they were power-hungry bastards as well? Christ... this party...

logikv9 posted:

2016 has shown that no good thing can happen without an equal or greater bad thing happening

So buckle up for Pat McCrory, cabinet member of the Trump administration

Secretary of bathroom safety?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Special session is in. Let's see what they do!

https://twitter.com/search?q=nc+court+packing&ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Esearch

As you can see, every other comment is a conservative troll bringing up the NC Court of Appeals expansion in 2000. Doesn't matter if it didn't change the majority on the Court, they're gonna use that as an excuse, and all democrats can do is have a few drum circles and kumbaya chants until they get worn out.

• Locked thread