Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

KirbyKhan posted:

The Gil wealth required in this game is attainable. Highest tier Gil bought set in the game only costs like 600k to build. The explicit vanity Gil sink mount is 25 mil, but all the high end unlocks are only about 6 digits big.

Income is a steady stream maintained through participation in many rituals. One ritual I do is I take my tomestones to idylshire to convert them into UnIdentified Ores, then take that on over to the next lady to turn it into Grade 3 Thanalan dirt, that can be tossed onto the market board. Supposedly they are used to grow onions that over level your chocobo and my brain falls out exploring the rest of the supply chain.

If you have a house and a botanist at 60 or so, the rest of the supply chain isn't bad, since it's only HW items and back, and onion prices are fairly stable due to a couple RNG layers in the gardening.

Bonus for having a miner retainer at 50 to keep a steady stream of your own thanalan soil for ventures.

The market might crash, though, between farm islands presumably giving non-homeowners access to gardening mechanics, and the vague possibility that you can harvest Thavnairian Onion seeds in Thavnair itself when 6.0 rolls around.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

KirbyKhan posted:

The Gil wealth required in this game is attainable. Highest tier Gil bought set in the game only costs like 600k to build. The explicit vanity Gil sink mount is 25 mil, but all the high end unlocks are only about 6 digits big.

Income is a steady stream maintained through participation in many rituals. One ritual I do is I take my tomestones to idylshire to convert them into UnIdentified Ores, then take that on over to the next lady to turn it into Grade 3 Thanalan dirt, that can be tossed onto the market board. Supposedly they are used to grow onions that over level your chocobo and my brain falls out exploring the rest of the supply chain.

ffxiv teamcraft has a tool that will look at your server's marketboard data (provided by the universalis website, which aggregates player-provided marketboard data) and look up what you can get with a selected currency and how much you might be able to sell it for https://ffxivteamcraft.com/currency-spending

While this might give you an idea of what you could earn, remember 1. the data is player provided so its possible to be manipulated, so it's good to check the market board yourself and 2. check the sale history to get an idea of when/if your stock will sell at a given sale price

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Is there a way to just skip these dungeon quests in the main story? I just did the first one and got the quest for another, I have psychically divined there will be a third and sitting in the queue for 15 minutes each time isn't fun.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You can become a healer or tank and get faster queues.

And in Shadowbringers they add in the ability to just do it with NPCs.

But until then, it's healer/tank queue or just waiting around as a DPS.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Or you could ask around a town square to see if a non-trial player is willing to party with you (You can invite trial players to parties but they cant form them on their own) (or invite you and a tank/healer newbie to a party and then leave, that also works) and queue you into the dungeon. State it's going to be your first time, and someone should be willing to do it since clearing a dungeon with a new player for the first time gives the experienced player some bonuses.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Thanks lads.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

sitting in the queue for 15 minutes each time isn't fun.

Just so you know it's not like skipping these early dungeons would solve this problem. This is the reality for all group content in the game for your entire journey. Needing other people just means that naturally you're gonna need to wait a bit for the game to pull them in for you. Rather than feeling impatient just try to find other stuff to do in the meantime. The game's jam packed with stuff you can busy yourself with during queues so just use them as an opportunity to do side stuff.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Regy Rusty posted:

Just so you know it's not like skipping these early dungeons would solve this problem. This is the reality for all group content in the game for your entire journey. Needing other people just means that naturally you're gonna need to wait a bit for the game to pull them in for you. Rather than feeling impatient just try to find other stuff to do in the meantime. The game's jam packed with stuff you can busy yourself with during queues so just use them as an opportunity to do side stuff.

great advice, i love a few matches of triple triad while waiting for DPS queues, or later you'll have a few short daily quests you can do, or even just killing fates while you wait!

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

We should also mention, you can switch classes after you queue, you just have to switch back to enter the dungeon when it pops. So you can do FATEs as a lower level job, or start crafting/gathering or just knock out some side quests to see some bonus story

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
And also a warning: this doesn't change throughout the story. There are many dungeons, bosses, and even a few raids that are required content. And queueing for a specific one, especially as dps, can take up to 30mins or so during off-peak times. This can be frustrating if you only have a short period to play and you're on that step of the MSQ.

But as the others said, there's plenty of other things to do. It's practically canon that your character is several classes/jobs, so feel free to level up a few concurrently. It's common to have a dps main for the MSQ and healer/tank secondary to get you through the queues.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Added a new note to the OP:

At higher levels, you unlock so-called 'Hard modes' for old dungeons. These are entirely new dungeons, not just harder versions of the old! They're new dungeons just set in the same general location.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

Added a new note to the OP:

At higher levels, you unlock so-called 'Hard modes' for old dungeons. These are entirely new dungeons, not just harder versions of the old! They're new dungeons just set in the same general location.

I like to call them remixes.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah, waiting for queues is the only reason I've done nearly every sidequest. It's mostly busy work, but you're just waiting around anyway. In the expansions, the daily beast tribe quests are also a good time killer, but the ones in ARR kinda suck and aren't available until like level 40.

Also, those first three dungeons are a lot closer together than any others in the game. You'll have plenty of MSQ stuff to do in between for the vast majority of them. The only exceptions are the ends of expansions, where you do a dungeon and trial back to back. It can be a real pain as a DPS, it's a good time to call on friends or FC folks to queue with you.

Griz
May 21, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah the general philosophy of restrictions on the trial account is, would this be extremely annoying if 10000 bots were doing it? If so it's banned for trial accounts. And before you ask, yes, bots were spamming party invites on people back in the day. Why, I couldn't tell you. Maybe they'd give an rmt spiel if you accepted

the names were the ads, nothing actually happened if you accepted the invite

the friend invite ones were the worst because it's like 4 clicks to decline.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm honestly surprised at times free trials can communicate at all outside of /party. You still get spam on the major hub cities although that's reduced these days with the influx of new players.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
I bought ARR + digital collector's edition when 2.0 launched a lifetime ago. Bounced off pretty quickly (didn't finish 2.0).

Are there any advantages to going back to that account vs starting a trial account if I plan to make a new character either way?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plenty, you can use the login queue, you can make your own parties, you have retainers and can use the market board. Probably some others I'm forgetting.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zet posted:

I bought ARR + digital collector's edition when 2.0 launched a lifetime ago. Bounced off pretty quickly (didn't finish 2.0).

Are there any advantages to going back to that account vs starting a trial account if I plan to make a new character either way?

The main downside is you will have to pay a subscription to use that account. The upside is you'll have access to all the social features that trial accounts lack, like friend list, the ability to invite people to a party, the ability to use party finder, the ability to buy off the marketboard, etc. And just today they made it so that paying accounts have login priority over trial accounts

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 20, 2021

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Gotcha, I had heard there was a large influx recently, but didn't realize it was still going on/affecting the login queues. I just read the Trial restrictions page and yeah, I'll def keep that in mind. Thanks!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zet posted:

Gotcha, I had heard there was a large influx recently, but didn't realize it was still going on/affecting the login queues. I just read the Trial restrictions page and yeah, I'll def keep that in mind. Thanks!

Trust me, FF14 doesn't normally have these issues. The surge of new and trial players is legitimately unprecedented in the game's history. Yoshi-P, the lead developer, made an article about it:

https://twitter.com/ff_xiv_en/status/1417507372638130178?s=21

LeninVS
Nov 8, 2011

Im level 50, only completed the first MSQ of ARR. Still working on the quests before the first expansion.
I have a full set of ilvl 130 Augmented Ironwork gear for my main job(warrior).

what should I be doing with my spare tomestone of poetic's? Im going to hit the 2000 cap tomorrow at the rate im playing.
Im also on a trial account, at least for a couple more weeks. So I have no access to the MB.(but I plan on activating next month)

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

LeninVS posted:

Im level 50, only completed the first MSQ of ARR. Still working on the quests before the first expansion.
I have a full set of ilvl 130 Augmented Ironwork gear for my main job(warrior).

what should I be doing with my spare tomestone of poetic's? Im going to hit the 2000 cap tomorrow at the rate im playing.
Im also on a trial account, at least for a couple more weeks. So I have no access to the MB.(but I plan on activating next month)

Buy gear for an alt job (you're gonna get way ahead on EXP and people usually level up an alt side-by-side while progressing MSQ), or buy tokens for relic weapons (this will be under Special Arms at the Poetics vendor) such as umbrite, unidentified ore/shell, aether oil, etc.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do you have another job you might be interested in? Otherwise you can spend poetics on relic weapon stuff.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I've been buying 130 and 270 sets for the alts I plan on leveling higher and it looks like you can share some of the gear and jewelry. For my PLD and DRG it looks like I can use the same jewelry since the stats line up pretty well. I doubt it will be efficient from a dps perspective, but I'm sure it will be fine during leveling.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cardboard Fox posted:

I've been buying 130 and 270 sets for the alts I plan on leveling higher and it looks like you can share some of the gear and jewelry. For my PLD and DRG it looks like I can use the same jewelry since the stats line up pretty well. I doubt it will be efficient from a dps perspective, but I'm sure it will be fine during leveling.

I'm pretty sure Ironworks and Shire gear are job/clasd restricted. Though there are less pieces of jewelry than there are the other pieces.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

sweet geek swag posted:

I'm pretty sure Ironworks and Shire gear are job/clasd restricted. Though there are less pieces of jewelry than there are the other pieces.

Nope! Not the jewelry!

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Kwyndig posted:

Do you have another job you might be interested in? Otherwise you can spend poetics on relic weapon stuff.

Don’t buy relic stuff as a trial, doubt you can even see them until you’ve unlocked that step, anyways, but that’s end game grind for fashion, not at all something a new player should be side tracked into doing since the weapons are all garbage stats.

But more importantly just don’t do the ARR zodiac relic weapons, full stop. It’s the absolute worst grind you can sign up for, I did one when it was current and I still haven’t finished a second despite having multiples of every other expansion relic.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
a while to go before you get there, but by the end of heavensward you'll be able to buy demicrystals and stuff with poetics to make a bit of gil

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jinh posted:

a while to go before you get there, but by the end of heavensward you'll be able to buy demicrystals and stuff with poetics to make a bit of gil

Sadly, Demicrystals got nerfed and now sell for pennies. There's not much to do with spare Poetics beyond buying Grade 3 soils, relic items, or gear to level desynth on.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Can you use the poetics vendor the first time you enter Idyllshire, or do you have to actually finish the 3.0 story first? It might be nice to have capped poetics when you approach the level 58ish zones, if you can use them right away, to buy the beginnings of a level 60 set (since a full set costs more than 2k) and then finish it off by the time you hit 60

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
You can buy Shire gear as soon as you reach Idyllshire. It's only the convenience vendor in Ishgard that's gated by MSQ progression.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
One thing you can do with spare poetics is just buy cheap ironworks gear to trade in for Grand Company seals while you still need them to rank up, or if you just need them to buy ventures. Shields are generally the most efficient trade I believe. Do get alt gear first if you have any interest, remember RDM and SAM are available to you now and start at L50. They're very much worth checking out.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Just note that HW is the last time you can do this, SB vendors do not unlock until 4.0 is done.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

derra posted:

Just note that HW is the last time you can do this, SB vendors do not unlock until 4.0 is done.

Yeah, and it's really annoying because they're in like the very first town you visit. At least there's a good excuse for it in Shadowbringers.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

onesixtwo posted:

Don’t buy relic stuff as a trial, doubt you can even see them until you’ve unlocked that step, anyways, but that’s end game grind for fashion, not at all something a new player should be side tracked into doing since the weapons are all garbage stats.

But more importantly just don’t do the ARR zodiac relic weapons, full stop. It’s the absolute worst grind you can sign up for, I did one when it was current and I still haven’t finished a second despite having multiples of every other expansion relic.

I feel it's at least worth doing the first two steps of the Relic Weapon quest in ARR for a few reasons.

1) You're going to need to run Garuda, Ifrit and Titan Hard modes at some point before the end of 2.55 anyway; might as well get something tangible for your efforts.
2) You get a nifty glowing weapon for glamour.
3) You get a cool title.
4) You get the Chimera and the Hydra added to the Trial Roulette.

Anything beyond Zenith is up to the player's discretion, but I would recommend holding off on finishing out a Zodiac relic until you're at Shadowbringers endgame levels and need something to do to kill time before Endwalker.

Gurkhali
Apr 25, 2006
Oh Andy Johnson's Magic, he wears a magic hat.....
I have just come back to the game after nearly 5 years having played up to the Alexander raids. I have started on a new server and I may as well be a new player at this point given how little I can remember!

One thing I do remember that you can't access a lot of the Heavensward content until you have finished the MSQ for base game - but what I am fuzzy on is, do you still gain XP from 50+ before unlocking the Heavensward MSQ or should I be swapping to an alt job to hand them in?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You do get XP from the level 50 patch quests. I walked into Ishgard at level 54 on my latest alt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you get very little exp from the post-patch msqs themselves either way, but the dungeons and trials they make you do are enough for a few levels

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

W.T. Fits posted:

I feel it's at least worth doing the first two steps of the Relic Weapon quest in ARR for a few reasons.

1) You're going to need to run Garuda, Ifrit and Titan Hard modes at some point before the end of 2.55 anyway; might as well get something tangible for your efforts.
2) You get a nifty glowing weapon for glamour.
3) You get a cool title.
4) You get the Chimera and the Hydra added to the Trial Roulette.

Anything beyond Zenith is up to the player's discretion, but I would recommend holding off on finishing out a Zodiac relic until you're at Shadowbringers endgame levels and need something to do to kill time before Endwalker.

Yeah, Zenith weapons are dope for the effort required. In some cases, I prefer their more subtle glow effects than the flashier versions that come later. BLM and WHM are both really nice.

I started the HW relic series and you also get a cool looking weapon pretty early in, though it's more effort than Zenith. Just some FATE grinding and then a bunch of dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Pryce posted:

I don't want to sound pessimistic here, but you just missed the sale on this from a couple weeks ago, and it's unlikely to come back until next year (after the new expansion has launched). They typically do it every 6ish months. https://isthereanydeal.com/game/finalfantasyxivonlinecompleteedition/history/.

That said, if you do wait till next year it'll probably be updated to include the new expansion in the pack as well at some point (vs needing to pay another $40 for it).
this person tried to trick me into buying the game at full price! the complete edition is currently on sale for 60% off! everyone should buy it!

i'm not gonna redeem my code until i hit 60 or the end of main story content, but i immediately bought it in case they "sell out" again