Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
Well, I am loving the fact of an alpha with all the cards and tons of platinum to draft with for a few months because I am not experienced with mtg or any other tcg, only having watched people play mtgo on twitch over the past year but never deciding to jump in myself because of the cost and the lovely client. This will give me some time to get some experience in before I have to start spending any money besides what I have spent on kickstarter.

As Adar said, I backed this game solely for the rewards that were available only on kickstarter. I have never backed another game or anything on kickstarter before and I don't care that much when this one comes out as long as it actually comes out, I get my rewards, and hopefully isn't a flop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I don't think anyone's posted the PVE panel at DragonCon here. It's really interesting stuff, and a few PVE cards are spoiled in the slides.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
By the way, I just thought of something to ask here because it occurred to me while posting in another thread about an online card game:

I am looking forward to this game but there is one thing that if it does, I absolutely can not and will not buy it.

My question is, is this game like Solfourge where if say, I have one card (let's call him Bob) and 5 decks, I could theoretically have that one Bob in every deck if I want to.
Or is it like Duel of Champions, where you can only have said Bob card in one deck at a time, and if I want to use him in multiple decks I have to literally go in and edit him out of one deck and into another one.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

goldjas posted:

By the way, I just thought of something to ask here because it occurred to me while posting in another thread about an online card game:

I am looking forward to this game but there is one thing that if it does, I absolutely can not and will not buy it.

My question is, is this game like Solfourge where if say, I have one card (let's call him Bob) and 5 decks, I could theoretically have that one Bob in every deck if I want to.
Or is it like Duel of Champions, where you can only have said Bob card in one deck at a time, and if I want to use him in multiple decks I have to literally go in and edit him out of one deck and into another one.

It's like Solforge.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

It's like Solforge.

I hope that's the only time I see that in this thread.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Karnegal posted:

I hope that's the only time I see that in this thread.

Yeah, let's not bring that pain into this thread.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

PJOmega posted:

Yeah, let's not bring that pain into this thread.

Is there a tl;dr for why Solforge gets shat on so much? I've poked at it super briefly (spent more time on Duel of Champions, though not a ton) and if one assumes the UI jank gets cleaned up it didn't seem that awful. Doesn't push my buttons like Magic/Hex style games, but seemed like it'd be fun for brief games. If their registration system worked, anyway...

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bitprophet posted:

Is there a tl;dr for why Solforge gets shat on so much? I've poked at it super briefly (spent more time on Duel of Champions, though not a ton) and if one assumes the UI jank gets cleaned up it didn't seem that awful. Doesn't push my buttons like Magic/Hex style games, but seemed like it'd be fun for brief games. If their registration system worked, anyway...

In addition to being buggy as poo poo, Solforge has no infrastructure for a card game.

There is no matchmaking/finding players - you press "join queue" and it matches you with the next person to do that. The only other thing you can do is challenge someone on your friends list. There is no chat/lobby/etc for finding friends.

There is no trading/auctionhouse/etc - your collection is essentially walled off from everything else.

There is no tournament support/drafting/etc

All of this was promised for launch, which they've done in all but name.

They're currently taking money and calling it an Open Beta and have pretty much squandered any faith in their ability to pull off the additional scope required to make it a functional product.

Let's never mention it again. There's a Solforge thead with a PC tag in the Games forum if you want to read more.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Sigma-X posted:

In addition to being buggy as poo poo, Solforge has no infrastructure for a card game.

There is no matchmaking/finding players - you press "join queue" and it matches you with the next person to do that. The only other thing you can do is challenge someone on your friends list. There is no chat/lobby/etc for finding friends.

There is no trading/auctionhouse/etc - your collection is essentially walled off from everything else.

There is no tournament support/drafting/etc

All of this was promised for launch, which they've done in all but name.

They're currently taking money and calling it an Open Beta and have pretty much squandered any faith in their ability to pull off the additional scope required to make it a functional product.

Let's never mention it again. There's a Solforge thead with a PC tag in the Games forum if you want to read more.

SolForge is pretty much a shining example of why CZ should make sure that Hex has all the promised features at launch. You'll be forgiven for a late release much quicker than if you start taking people's money for an incomplete product. I'm happy to chill in Alpha/Beta for a while until the game is actually ready.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Karnegal posted:

SolForge is pretty much a shining example of why CZ should make sure that Hex has all the promised features at launch. You'll be forgiven for a late release much quicker than if you start taking people's money for an incomplete product. I'm happy to chill in Alpha/Beta for a while until the game is actually ready.

I agree but to a point. They could launch PvP if its feature complete with polish and I dont think too many would lament a PvE experience that has never been seen yet. It is hex's unique thing, yes but if hex the pvp game stands on its own, then launch it.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Blazing Zero posted:

I agree but to a point. They could launch PvP if its feature complete with polish and I dont think too many would lament a PvE experience that has never been seen yet. It is hex's unique thing, yes but if hex the pvp game stands on its own, then launch it.

I think PvE is the marquee feature for the game. Also, it's what makes the game F2P. PvP is paid, so launching without your F2P component is going to fix you in people's minds as pay pay to play.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Lots of new cards to show off today!

Convention Spoilers: http://hextcg.com/convention-spoilers/

That Ruby Golem :swoon: Not looking forward to fighting that.

Weekly Cards: http://hextcg.com/card-previews-september-6th/

I believe this is our first combo revealed in the previews section. That looks incredible when you're fully equipped for both cards.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Incantation of fear is going to pair drat well with a bunny deck. Really liking the combo potential from the cards we've seen so far and it's only making me more antsy to play! But what is that chakram thing on the right side of Battle Beetle supposed to be? Almost looks like part of the card art but doesn't fit inside the image and doesn't quite fit the scene.

Selane posted:

Are you talking about the gem socket?

Ah! For some reason I didn't even notice it was a socket card.

thiswayliesmadness fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 7, 2013

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Incantation of fear is going to pair drat well with a bunny deck. Really liking the combo potential from the cards we've seen so far and it's only making me more antsy to play! But what is that chakram thing on the right side of Battle Beetle supposed to be? Almost looks like part of the card art but doesn't fit inside the image and doesn't quite fit the scene.

Probably a counter/token of some sort. Maybe illustrating that it's used its active and now has flying?

Edit: vvvvv Oh yeah it's that.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 7, 2013

Selane
May 19, 2006

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Are you talking about the gem socket?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

I wonder if the flying robot dinosaur is the only card with affinity for artifacts/dwarves?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Is Hex going to be suitable to someone who's never played a TCG/CCG before and has no idea what the gently caress, or am I better off just waiting on Hearthstone?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Wheeee posted:

Is Hex going to be suitable to someone who's never played a TCG/CCG before and has no idea what the gently caress, or am I better off just waiting on Hearthstone?

Hex will be fine for you. The systems will take you about 30 minutes to learn and then you'll be okay.

Hearthstone is not a bad game, it's just completely different. It's casual, fast paced arcade-style gameplay. Hex is more strategic and slow.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Vincent Valentine posted:

Hex will be fine for you. The systems will take you about 30 minutes to learn and then you'll be okay.

Hearthstone is not a bad game, it's just completely different. It's casual, fast paced arcade-style gameplay. Hex is more strategic and slow.

Thanks; I started out pretty excited for Hearthstone thinking it'd be a full-blown complex Magic-style card game (Which I've been interested in since my teens, but avoided due to smelly nerds) with all the trappings of a video game, but it's starting to look like a fairly shallow game with the same ongoing costs of a real-life TCG.

Given my complete inexperience with TCG/CCG games I have no idea about the current Slacker Backer buy-in, is it looking like a good deal or something to hold off on until the community get their hands on the game?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

Thanks; I started out pretty excited for Hearthstone thinking it'd be a full-blown complex Magic-style card game (Which I've been interested in since my teens, but avoided due to smelly nerds) with all the trappings of a video game, but it's starting to look like a fairly shallow game with the same ongoing costs of a real-life TCG.

Given my complete inexperience with TCG/CCG games I have no idea about the current Slacker Backer buy-in, is it looking like a good deal or something to hold off on until the community get their hands on the game?

Hearthstone doesn't seem all that shallow to me, but it's true that it isn't as deep as Hex. Hex is being called MTG:O v2.0 by a lot of people. The distinction is important because no current physical TCG can compete with the 800 pound gorilla of Magic. Netrunner could possibly give it a run for it's money if FFG were willing to invest in serious tournaments and prize support but I don't see that happening. This continued serious tournament support is the biggest reason why Magic is on top.

The slacker-backer is less value than say, most of the kickstarter pledges but it isn't a bad value. The 25 Set one boosters will be two dollars each when the game goes live, so that by itself would make backing equal to your fifty bucks. The other stuff you get on top of that make it better. Two months of VIP for free will give you an additional 8 boosters (one per week) and you get a second starter deck on top of the one all accounts get for free. VIP program has other neat stuff attached to it as well. The promos and art book are meh, but the alpha invite is cool. The game goes into alpha at the end of the month.

I guess you need to ask yourself if you are going to buy 50 dollars worth of hex boosters or vip program eventually. First, you should find out if you even enjoy TCGs. You can get the magic online client and play with the starter decks for free still, I think. So test that out and then do some more reading back through this thread and watching youtube videos about Hex to see if the theme and stuff are something you are into. Some people got really turned off by murderous, cannibalistic cartoon bunnies and their feudal empire theme so :shrug:

Oh, and the game will also have a totally free to play PvE experience by the time it goes out of beta. So you could wait until then if you're on the fence.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Wheeee posted:

The thing that makes the slacker backer option decent is the alpha access. During the alpha we should have access to every card in the first set, as well as free drafts. I think drafting is an awesome way to learn the game; it teaches you fairly quickly the fundamentals of Magic strategy.

The alpha will last several months, so as long as you utilize the free drafts the best you can, you should be able to learn the game much quicker than you otherwise would be able to when drafts start costing money.

Bobbin Threadbear fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 10, 2013

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Blazing Zero posted:

Hearthstone doesn't seem all that shallow to me, but it's true that it isn't as deep as Hex.

Admittedly, I haven't played a TCG/CCG before but having played board games and computer games since I was a child I'm already seeing patterns in terms of Hearthstone deck strengths and believe that unless it has fairly rapid ongoing expansions that it'll be a relatively quickly solved game outside of the RNG. Again, I may be wildly off on this, it's just a feeling.

quote:

Hex is being called MTG:O v2.0 by a lot of people. The distinction is important because no current physical TCG can compete with the 800 pound gorilla of Magic. Netrunner could possibly give it a run for it's money if FFG were willing to invest in serious tournaments and prize support but I don't see that happening. This continued serious tournament support is the biggest reason why Magic is on top.

Someone linked me to Netrunner in another thread and from what I've seen it looks loving awesome; very much the ideal card game, if only people locally played it, which they do not. With regard to Hex being the online successor to Magic, that is something I think is promising. From my limited vantage Netrunner looks far superior to Magic if only for the ability to play without continually being forced to invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into it, but I've held a passing interest in Magic since my teen years and still feel a slight tug to the world of cards.

quote:

The slacker-backer is less value than say, most of the kickstarter pledges but it isn't a bad value. The 25 Set one boosters will be two dollars each when the game goes live, so that by itself would make backing equal to your fifty bucks. The other stuff you get on top of that make it better. Two months of VIP for free will give you an additional 8 boosters (one per week) and you get a second starter deck on top of the one all accounts get for free. VIP program has other neat stuff attached to it as well. The promos and art book are meh, but the alpha invite is cool. The game goes into alpha at the end of the month.

VIP gives regular decks and other ongoing benefits from what I can see, which for the price and assuming the game takes off in popularity looks reasonable for the price. Are the deck tools it gives access to things that are necessary to build a legit deck or primarily luxury features?

quote:

I guess you need to ask yourself if you are going to buy 50 dollars worth of hex boosters or vip program eventually.

Sadly, I have no idea. Given my predilection for falling into MMOs, DOTA, SC and other games I imagine there's a strong possibility that I become utterly hooked. Given my ADD towards games however there's also a good chance I'll play a few rounds and drop it forever.

quote:

First, you should find out if you even enjoy TCGs. You can get the magic online client and play with the starter decks for free still, I think. So test that out and then do some more reading back through this thread and watching youtube videos about Hex to see if the theme and stuff are something you are into.

This is unfortunately the most difficult step for me. I don't know anyone who happens to play TCG/CCGs in person nor am I interested in once more delving into the local hobby shop's miasma of body odour and desperation, making me poo poo out of luck until I get into Hearthstone's beta or this opens up, whichever comes first.

quote:

Some people got really turned off by murderous, cannibalistic cartoon bunnies and their feudal empire theme so :shrug:

Hex's art, from what I've seen on their website, ranges from good to fine. So long as this game doesn't devolve into a shitshow of laughably low-quality fan-service anime fan art like LoL I'm all good.

Thank you again for your response. I sincerely hope Hex takes off and becomes the next Big Thing in online card games as, after viewing their website and some Youtube videos of the game, I believe it has a great deal of potential.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Netrunner can't give Magic a run for its money because WotC owns the property and has licensed it to FFG for the LTG.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Blazing Zero posted:

The 25 Set one boosters will be two dollars each when the game goes live, so that by itself would make backing equal to your fifty bucks.

This is a little misleading. With the thousands of Set 1 boosters given out to Kickstarter backers, the value of a booster is isn't going to be anywhere near $2. There will be lots of people liquidating a good chunk of their packs for Platinum to subsidize drafts. If you want them, you'll be able to get S1 packs for less $2 by buying Platinum in the store and trading/AHing.

Though like you said, between Alpha access and the VIP, the Slacker Backer is still worth the price of admission.

e: did some napkin math, there will be over 1.5 million Set 1 boosters given to KS backers, not including paypal donations or slacker backers.

Wheeee posted:

Admittedly, I haven't played a TCG/CCG before but having played board games and computer games since I was a child I'm already seeing patterns in terms of Hearthstone deck strengths and believe that unless it has fairly rapid ongoing expansions that it'll be a relatively quickly solved game outside of the RNG. Again, I may be wildly off on this, it's just a feeling.

It's just about guaranteed that there will be expansions for Hearthstone. The entire economic structure of CCGs hinges on a steady flow of new cards to keep people buying.

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 10, 2013

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Wheeee posted:

This is unfortunately the most difficult step for me. I don't know anyone who happens to play TCG/CCGs in person nor am I interested in once more delving into the local hobby shop's miasma of body odour and desperation, making me poo poo out of luck until I get into Hearthstone's beta or this opens up, whichever comes first

Download SolForge, play a few games against the computer and then ask yourself "would I enjoy a much deeper and more complex game than this?"

If the answer is yes, Hex might be the game for you.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Some Numbers posted:

Download SolForge, play a few games against the computer and then ask yourself "would I enjoy a much deeper and more complex game than this?"

If the answer is yes, Hex might be the game for you.

They're nothing alike. Their only significant similarities are that they use digital cards and they are collectable.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Oh god, don't ever voluntarily suggest Solforge to someone...even if you don't put any money in the game it's just not worth it.

If you want to see if you are interested in CCG/TCG's then either buy Duels of the Planeswalker 2014 or maybe even try out Duel of Champions http://www.duelofchampions.com/en/index.aspx. It's got a lot of issues as well, but it's more comparable to something like Hex although still really different.

Edit: Also Card Hunter, http://www.cardhunter.com/, is out of beta and officially released on September 12th. This really doesn't have much to do with the discussion other than I think it's worth people checking out while waiting for Hex Alpha.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Sep 10, 2013

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Why not just buy Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014? It's only $10, and it's made with the intent to teach Magic to someone (and by extension, Hex) Or get the demo, I guess, I don't know how good that is though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Wheeee posted:

VIP gives regular decks and other ongoing benefits from what I can see, which for the price and assuming the game takes off in popularity looks reasonable for the price. Are the deck tools it gives access to things that are necessary to build a legit deck or primarily luxury features?

The only one we know about for sure is a goldfish mode - playing your deck against an AI opponent that does literally nothing to see how long it takes you to win. I'd definitely categorise that as a luxury feature. The main draw is that it gives you slightly over 4 packs per month at slightly under $1 each, which will almost certainly be the cheapest way to get cards.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
They talked as well about the AI Deck Assistant (AIDA), you input the cards you want in the deck and it tells you what else you might want to play / how many resources you might want / stuff that doesn't really fit / etc

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

I think AIDA's available to everyone though, not just VIP subscribers.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

This is unfortunately the most difficult step for me. I don't know anyone who happens to play TCG/CCGs in person nor am I interested in once more delving into the local hobby shop's miasma of body odour and desperation, making me poo poo out of luck until I get into Hearthstone's beta or this opens up, whichever comes first.

You misread me, I didn't suggest heading to your local neckbeard perch. I said go download a copy of the MTG: online client. Last I played some years ago, you could make an account for free and play against other players with a couple of starter decks for free. This is probably the closest analogue to hex and it also lets you know if you'd want to play these games in a digital space. No body odor included! :tipshat:

You're most welcome for the response and as for lone goat's reply:

Lone Goat posted:

This is a little misleading. With the thousands of Set 1 boosters given out to Kickstarter backers, the value of a booster is isn't going to be anywhere near $2. There will be lots of people liquidating a good chunk of their packs for Platinum to subsidize drafts. If you want them, you'll be able to get S1 packs for less $2 by buying Platinum in the store and trading/AHing.

Though like you said, between Alpha access and the VIP, the Slacker Backer is still worth the price of admission.

While it's sorta true, it assumes that:
1) A lot of people purchase platinum
2) Those packs and platinum get traded at a high enough volume to bring the AH price of packs down

Those packs exist, but the platinum does not yet. If this game does not see a large influx of new players or old players willing to open up their wallets (again), then the AH will reflect that. We are all pretty sure it will, but that doesn't make it so. It's nit-picky, but I'd hate to see anyone drop their 50 bucks without understanding the risk involved.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Go RV! posted:

Why not just buy Duels of the Planeswalkers 2014? It's only $10, and it's made with the intent to teach Magic to someone (and by extension, Hex) Or get the demo, I guess, I don't know how good that is though.

Or better yet, the 2013 version, which has the awesome Planechase mode (that 2014 drops for whatever reason) and doesn't attempt to charge you $2 a pop for sealed deck slots.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Blazing Zero posted:

While it's sorta true, it assumes that:
1) A lot of people purchase platinum
2) Those packs and platinum get traded at a high enough volume to bring the AH price of packs down

Those packs exist, but the platinum does not yet. If this game does not see a large influx of new players or old players willing to open up their wallets (again), then the AH will reflect that. We are all pretty sure it will, but that doesn't make it so. It's nit-picky, but I'd hate to see anyone drop their 50 bucks without understanding the risk involved.

If there isn't a big influx of platinum that will drive S1 pack costs down. There is already a huge guaranteed supply of packs, the lower the demand for them, the cheaper the price will be.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I fully intend on selling about 400 boosters for as low as $1.50 per pack. That would basically let me break even on what I put in towards the kickstarter while still getting all of the bonuses. I can promise you I'm not the only person planning on doing this and the price of boosters for the first set are going to be sub $2 per pack, the question is just how cheap will they get.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

I fully intend on selling about 400 boosters for as low as $1.50 per pack. That would basically let me break even on what I put in towards the kickstarter while still getting all of the bonuses. I can promise you I'm not the only person planning on doing this and the price of boosters for the first set are going to be sub $2 per pack, the question is just how cheap will they get.

I imagine packs are sub $1 unless the game explodes in popularity

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Karnegal posted:

I imagine packs are sub $1 unless the game explodes in popularity
Man, that'd be cool. Pop a $20, walk away set for a long, long time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Lone Goat posted:

e: did some napkin math, there will be over 1.5 million Set 1 boosters given to KS backers, not including paypal donations or slacker backers.

It's just about guaranteed that there will be expansions for Hearthstone. The entire economic structure of CCGs hinges on a steady flow of new cards to keep people buying.

It all depends on how many people play. It's a mistake to say "packs will be worth X because there are Y many of them" because it's all dependent on demand.

I expect the value of set 1 boosters to have an initial crash, yeah, because a lot of people will sell off kickstarter packs initially, but after the first few weeks it's all gonna be dependent on demand. If lots of people beyond the kickstarter folks want in, then value will rise, if not, market will be crashed permanently.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So we're going to find out about the Alpha next week. I was wondering when that was going to come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Kinda had the same question. I'm one of the unlucky that found out about this game too late to get in on the kickstarter so I went with the Slacker option.

Anyone else do that and receive any kind of confirmation other than a Paypal transaction number? Starting to get paranoid something will get borked and I won't get my alpha access!

• Locked thread