Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

To be fair, the rooftop owners are appealing to the local Clay Davises to stop him, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Krigen posted:

Wow I almost didn't believe you but there really isn't. Kind of charming that a stadium isn't plastered in signage in 2014 but I think I'd rather trade aesthetics for a better funded team.

The idea that the Cubs don't make a lot of money is beyond laughable. Yeah they lose out on signage and parking but they make it up already in other ways - which is why they already spend a fuckton on players(but poorly).

The rooftops were awesome and now one of the few truly unique things about the ballpark that wasn't "look how awful this is" is going away.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Popete posted:

Booooo, piss troughs rule.

I have some great news for you, then

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I think the guy who gets singers mixed up is funny

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
N: Royals send Moustakas down to Omaha

V: loving finally. Hopefully he'll get things turned around.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Nail Rat posted:

The idea that the Cubs don't make a lot of money is beyond laughable. Yeah they lose out on signage and parking but they make it up already in other ways - which is why they already spend a fuckton on players(but poorly).

The rooftops were awesome and now one of the few truly unique things about the ballpark that wasn't "look how awful this is" is going away.

The rooftops were awesome when it was five guys on a roof with a cooler, now it's just a faceless business that I have no problem seeing ground into dust by a larger, cooler faceless business.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

DannoMack posted:

I think the guy who gets singers mixed up is funny

Bad taste thread is in PYF

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
N: Alex Guerrero could miss up to 5 weeks for his ear to heal after the Miguel Olivo incident. Olivo got placed on the suspended list.

V: lol

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
FanGraphs has an article on why Moustakas is so terrible this year, and the conclusion is he's hitting too many pitches out of the zone.

quote:

For the season, Moustakas has made contact on 82.4% of the pitches he’s swung at outside the strike zone — the fifth highest rate in MLB — while only making contact on 81.4% of the pitches he’s swung at inside the strike zone. Moustakas is the only player in MLB to post a higher contact rate on balls as opposed to strikes.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Moustakas has been worse this year than previous years but he has always had poo poo judgement at the plate so congrats to Fangraphs for finally realizing that I guess.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

fknlo posted:

N: Royals send Moustakas down to Omaha

V: loving finally. Hopefully he'll get things turned around.

How is teeing off on 23 year olds for a few weeks supposed to help him?

More generally, how good are the coaches/managers in minor league clubs, and how much work is done to help young players along? Is it like the practice squad in the NFL or just "here, stay with this empty-nest couple and come to the park on game days and here's your bus ticket for when we go to Winston-Salem"?

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

"Works great for livestock feeders or Beverage coolers"

I know those have been cleaned with bleach and god knows what else, but :stonk: if you think I'd put any sort of thing I'd drink in one of those.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

quote:

(1) Stainless Steel Trough from Metrodome Restrooms. Work great for livestock feeders or beverage coolers. There are multiple lengths of troughs available. We have 8', 10', 11', and 12'. All measure 2' H x 14" D. All units have (2) drains in them. Condition of units vary, some have minor dents and dings from the removal process. First come, first serve on pickup day. Bidders responsibility to load items. Bring help for loading.

quote:

(1) Stainless Steel Trough from Metrodome Restrooms. Work great for livestock feeders or beverage coolers. There are multiple lengths of troughs available. We have 8', 10', 11', and 12'. All measure 2' H x 14" D. All units have (2) drains in them. Condition of units vary, some have minor dents and dings from the removal process. First come, first serve on pickup day. Bidders responsibility to load items. Bring help for loading.

quote:

Metrodome Restrooms

beverage coolers

Edit: So F; so B.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

Everblight posted:

Well he probably won't be teeing off on them. ;) You can't keep a guy around in MLB if he's got an option and is hitting as bad as Moustakas has been this year. The concern is for both him and the team.

quote:

More generally, how good are the coaches/managers in minor league clubs, and how much work is done to help young players along? Is it like the practice squad in the NFL or just "here, stay with this empty-nest couple and come to the park on game days and here's your bus ticket for when we go to Winston-Salem"?

There's a variety but they are all generally hired for developmental work with players. It is nothing like being on the practice squad in the NFL, though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Walked posted:

Someone with photoshop talent needs to put Wacha into a Final Destination poster.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

^^^ Amazing ^^^

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

"Works great for livestock feeders or Beverage coolers"

I know those have been cleaned with bleach and god knows what else, but :stonk: if you think I'd put any sort of thing I'd drink in one of those.

On the radio they were brainstorming uses for one and my favorite was to turn it into one of those waterfall things with some rocks at the bottom.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

My favorite scene is when there's a logging truck driven by Josh Hancock swerving all over the road.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Wow, those movie poster designers sure are original, it's not like they just stole the design from that Laurence Fishburn movie 'Unbreakable'.

Mugwump
Apr 13, 2004

I offered to pay $60 million for 5 years of this avatar but was turned down

DoctaFun posted:

Wow, those movie poster designers sure are original, it's not like they just stole the design from that Laurence Fishburn movie 'Unbreakable'.

If you keep purposefully misidentifying things you are going to end up on the Mets medical staff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Olivo was released by the Dodgers. A lot of people missed it, but I believe last year or in 2012 he actually left the Marlins and cleaned out his locker because he didn't get enough playing time. They had to release him later because he wouldn't come back.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

N: Rangers beat-writer reporting Prince Fielder is considering season-ending surgery on his neck.

V: :sigh:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
N: Wandy Rodriguez DFA'd.

V: Sad. He did some good work for us before last year's injury.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

N: Rangers beat-writer reporting Prince Fielder is considering season-ending surgery on his neck.

V: :sigh:

Sad news, I love watching Prince swing baseball bats. Also crazy to think that he has only missed 13 games since he started playing full seasons in 2006 (before this year). 2009-2013 he only missed one game.

Ambassador of Funk
Aug 2, 2009

Whenever I'm put to the test, I'm gonna ace it.
N: MRI back on Santiago Casilla. Grade 2 hamstring strain, he'll be out for four weeks. Kontos called up.

V: Not as bad as it could have been, but still a lovely situation, especially for him on something that was supposed to be a silly AB. Hope he comes back 100%

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

This is worse than when Scoobi did that thing and then dove headfirst into the stalker gimmick.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Tender Bender posted:

This is worse than when Scoobi did that thing and then dove headfirst into the stalker gimmick.

Wrong, nothing is worse than Scoobi's stalker gimmick

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

DoctaFun posted:

This is dumb and annoying and I'd be really appreciative if you didn't do it anymore.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wow that really sucks for Prince and the Rangers.

I dunno what kind of year I was hoping he'd have, but not this. :smith:

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Not only is Prince Fielder having season-ending surgery, Jurickson Profar reinjured his shoulder, which will delay his eventual return to the Rangers by 8-12 weeks.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

I have never seen this many significant injuries hit one sports team in a single season before. God.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

This season sucks.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Abel Wingnut posted:

I have never seen this many significant injuries hit one sports team in a single season before. God.
lest we forget

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_New_York_Mets_season

quote:

The 2009 Mets season will be remembered as a season marred by injuries. On August 25, it was announced that ace Johan Santana would undergo season-ending elbow surgery on his pitching elbow, and was added to the long list of injured players. Including Santana, the Mets had 20 players see time on the disabled list at some point during the 2009 season, including David Wright, John Maine, Jon Niese, Fernando Nieve, J. J. Putz, Billy Wagner, Brian Schneider, Carlos Delgado, Ángel Pagán, Gary Sheffield, Óliver Pérez, Ryan Church, Ramón Martínez, Jose Reyes, Alex Cora, Carlos Beltrán, and Fernando Martinez. Mets players spent more than 1,480 days in the disabled list in 2009, more than any other team in the majors.

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 22, 2014

Storm
Jun 7, 2001

Professional #8 Hitter/Beard Grower
Danny Worth is the solution to the Tigers' bullpen.

But I want to apologize for jinxing them, I said after the winning streak + the Zubaz, to a lot of my friends, that it was quite likely the Tigers have some bad luck with their SP and the bullpen is used too much, and they'll go on a losing streak and we'll see where that leaves them. So, my bad.

e: They're also bringing up Knebel who is almost a lock to be their second best reliever on the team, and it won't be long before Suarez is brought up because Romine can't hit and can't play defense.

KNew
Sep 16, 2007

Yu does not care for puns
14 players currently on the DL, probably 15 tomorrow with Robertson

yeaaaaa

Pretty sure overall they have had more than 20 players on the DL

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Prince's surgery scheduled for Tuesday, apparently.

:rip:

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

KNew posted:

14 players currently on the DL, probably 15 tomorrow with Robertson

yeaaaaa

Pretty sure overall they have had more than 20 players on the DL

I think Prince is the 17th this year. Robertson will likely be 18.

It's still May, though. If there's one lesson 2014 is teaching us, it's that some pits have no bottom and things can always get worse.

e: The longest stretch the Rangers have gone this season without putting a player on the DL is apparently 12 days. We've got that poo poo in the bag.

TheIncredulousHulk fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 22, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Everblight posted:

bro the Dash are High A

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

@ESPNStatsInfo
Jeff Samardzija is only pitcher in MLB history with ERA below 1.50 and 0 wins in his 1st 10 starts of a season (@eliassports)

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

The night is darkest...

:smith: Poor Jeff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I hope he never wins a game and wins the Cy Young award just so idiots can be angry about it

• Locked thread