Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
My favorite in the past few years has been Zombieland. I friggin' love that movie.

Also jesus christ Annette. Kill them all. :black101: Her voice annoyed me at first, but Long War turned her into my favorite due to being the single most absurd psychic I have ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Speedball posted:

(sorry if this one ran a bit long, I wasn't sure where to snip...)

It was cool, nothing to apologise for.

Favourite zombie fic probably has to be Shaun of the Dead for me too. Least favourite... well, Dead Rising is tempting, but the crown goes to a truly craptacular Z-movie called Hood of the Living Dead. Man, that sucked.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
IT'S HAPPENING

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/06/01/xcom-2-announced-ign-first

http://xcom.com/

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

As if SHIVs weren't already completely loving awesome.

Looks like my prediction of genetic alteration tech becoming widespread in the future of XCOM was spot-on. I'll lay odds that a lot of those aliens are in fact modified humans.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Let's get fuckin' hyped

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Speedball posted:

I'll lay odds that a lot of those aliens are in fact modified humans.

I won't believe it. Sci-fi and all media from Japan have taught me that the moment genetic manipulation at that level becomes available, 20% of the population will have cat ears.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

pun pundit posted:

I won't believe it. Sci-fi and all media from Japan have taught me that the moment genetic manipulation at that level becomes available, 20% of the population will have cat ears.

That's why everyone's wearing hats!

At the least, that's definitely a Sectoid with human DNA.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

“Commander’s Poll” posted:

Which zombie fiction is your favorite? Which is your least?

Favorite: the utterly insane Biomega.

Kinda agreeing with WTF on the negative side...

W.T. Fits posted:

Least Favorite - Pretty much everything else that's come out recently that tacks on zombie stuff for the sake of appealing to people who like zombie stuff. Also, kinda sick of hearing about "The Last of Us" all the goddamn time.

Least Favorite: "Nazi Zombies" DLC :v:

Speedball posted a comic a while back, which pointed out the peculiar sectoid tactic of moving in groups of three.

Apparently Finland has come up with an explanation, though it might not be the one you'd expect...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Did I? I don't remember. But that video is horrifying.

I just tried out a gimmick run and it was such a bad idea that I'm gonna have to try it again, but only on a non-critical mission that won't negate many hours of gameplay. It was a glorious fuckup, though.

*sigh* one of the downsides of writing what amounts to fanfiction is if they ever make a sequel, it's gonna invalidate a lot of what you had planned.

I'm a sucker for happy endings so I wanted one where everyone gets out alive. Now? Nothing is guaranteed! Mua ha ha ha ha!

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.
Favorite zombies: Shibito from Siren. How do you say no to zombies that can take a head shot and laugh?
Least favorite zombies: plague zombies from any franchise. Gimme magical zombies or even robot zombies any day.

Favorite specific zombie: Sue the Dinosaur from Dresden Files.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

NullBlack posted:

:allears:

Most Interesting Zombies: Shiki
Best Zombie Movie (that I've watched): 28 Days Later

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

habeasdorkus posted:

Favorite: World War Z, the book.
Least Favorite: World War Z, the movie.

silentsnack posted:

Least Favorite: "Nazi Zombies" DLC :v:

I'll agree with these, adding The Zombie Survival Guide and Shaun of the Dead to favorites. The zombie arc of UQ Holder was pretty good too. Also, High School of the Dead to least favorite just because of how ridiculous it was.

YESSSSS

Guess that's why Steam has EU and EW on sale as a Daily Deal today. 75% off the entire package, 67% off of just EW. Should probably pick them up if you don't own them already, probably gonna grab EW myself soon.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NullBlack posted:

Favorite zombies: Shibito from Siren. How do you say no to zombies that can take a head shot and laugh?
Least favorite zombies: plague zombies from any franchise. Gimme magical zombies or even robot zombies any day.

POLKA WILL NEVER DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

You know, it makes sense that the EXALT cell is in France; that's probably the one that was trying to steal Annette from the aliens.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So Speedball, what's your general opinion on the XCOM 2 stuff we've seen so far, and what do you make of the fact that was a snakewoman constricting that dude? Also, and this is probably premature, would you mind me asking what is the likelihood of you doing an XCOM 2 LP sometime after this one is over?

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's Firaxis. I'm not gonna make an LP until a year later, when they release the expansion!

That said, of course I'm excited. And there can be snakewomen. Most snakes don't even have arms, you think I'm going to make a fuss over secondary sexual characteristics?

EDIT: Massive Chalice just got formally released. It's got a few similarities with XCOM as far as the metagame goes, but its nature makes it the exact opposite of XCOM in terms of character customization. You fast-forward through hundreds of years of history and nobody lasts more than a a few decades so you're lucky if one person ever sees more than two or three battles. (Fortunately, descendants pass on their levels to their babies, if they have any). Instead of scientists you send your soldiers over to the Sage guild to permanently give up fighting to study. Same goes for trainers that make kids level up more before they deploy. Essentially, human resources are the only resources, and you learn to not get attached to anyone.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 2, 2015

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

It's Firaxis. I'm not gonna make an LP until a year later, when they release the expansion!

That said, of course I'm excited. And there can be snakewomen. Most snakes don't even have arms, you think I'm going to make a fuss over secondary sexual characteristics?

EDIT: Massive Chalice just got formally released. It's got a few similarities with XCOM as far as the metagame goes, but its nature makes it the exact opposite of XCOM in terms of character customization. You fast-forward through hundreds of years of history and nobody lasts more than a a few decades so you're lucky if one person ever sees more than two or three battles. (Fortunately, descendants pass on their levels to their babies, if they have any). Instead of scientists you send your soldiers over to the Sage guild to permanently give up fighting to study. Same goes for trainers that make kids level up more before they deploy. Essentially, human resources are the only resources, and you learn to not get attached to anyone.

Are you liking it overall? I hadn't heard of it until you guys mentioned it. Just watched a few videos and looks awesome.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's novel, I'll give it that. I think the actual battles are actually the least interesting part of the game, even if the monsters and their functions are really weird. There's a suicide bomber monster that covers the ground near it with poison, so you need to either snipe it or knock it away with caber-guys (yes, your melee class is guys and gals with giant logs). There's a monster that sucks XP out of your troops, another monster that makes your guys old (this is BAD), and another range-attacker monster that makes itself practically invulnerable for the rest of the round after you attack it the first time, so it's difficult to bum-rush unless you stun it.

But there's no real cover mechanics like in XCOM or terrain manipulation like in Final Fantasy Tactics. Hmm.

I'd give it four stars out of five, as opposed to XCOM's five-out-of-five. But it's good. And cheap!

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Speedball posted:

Plus it's not like genetically modified aliens have to adhere to Terrestrial zoology.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Plus it's not like genetically modified aliens have to adhere to Terrestrial zoology.

Right! Plus there's Medusas, Lamias, Nagas, all female (or potentially female in the Naga's case) snake people in myths and stuff. It's not like there's no precedent. Granted, most of those didn't have awesome plasma weapons...

If Viper strangulation is what replaces Seeker strangulation, then I'm hoping there's still a bioelectric skin gene mod in XCOM 2 to keep those suckers off you. Man I love Bioelectric Skin, I really ought to give it to a couple more characters.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

I think that could make for a really interesting story, but it would have to be in a style far different than your usual lighthearted character-driven stuff. It would probably have to be super "lore" heavy to account for generational changes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

ViggyNash posted:

I think that could make for a really interesting story, but it would have to be in a style far different than your usual lighthearted character-driven stuff. It would probably have to be super "lore" heavy to account for generational changes.

Yeah, or just skip the narrative style altogether.

One of the things it does differently is the equivalent to XCOM's continent bonuses. You're on an island surrounded by corruption-lava and the outer regions are under attack first. If they get too corrupted, they crumble to nothing, but building a building there gets you a powerful global bonus (the inner regions get ya nothing!). So instead of having to cover everything to get the bonus, you just have to cover the most precarious areas.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 3, 2015

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

If there is no kind of Cobra Commander reference in that game, I will be supremely disappointed.
That being said, I am really curious as to what the final two classes are going to be.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I'm just looking forward to Valen-analogue's research notes.
"I don't know what they're for either. Thus far they seem to distract and confuse most of our soldiers. Perhaps it's psychological warfare?"

fibio
Apr 3, 2015
I'll be honest, the first thing that I saw on the snake was pecs, not breasts. I mean, it's got arms where there shouldn't be arms on a snake, of course there's going to be muscles there. I must not have been on the internet long enough yet.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Speedball posted:

One of the things it does differently is the equivalent to XCOM's continent bonuses. You're on an island surrounded by corruption-lava and the outer regions are under attack first. If they get too corrupted, they crumble to nothing, but building a building there gets you a powerful global bonus (the inner regions get ya nothing!). So instead of having to cover everything to get the bonus, you just have to cover the most precarious areas.

I picked it up soon after my post, and it's basically your own personal George RR. Martin Simulator (less political infighting and more Knight's Watch). I love it. It feels like a streamlined XCom with the unique hero system a-la Crusader Kings 2. It works pretty well.

Then again, I loved Beyond Earth when it first came out and changed my mind later, but at least this is only :20bux: (16 on sale right now).

e: Holy poo poo, these stories write themselves. This is an amazing game and absolutely worth the price of admission. A lot of the negative comments about the game are coming from backers that are probably butthurt about some missing features.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 3, 2015

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Speedball posted:

One thing I'm confused about, is how to push back corruption. Since you always get attacked in two places, it seems like it'll start stacking up, unless I'm missing something.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Heir03 posted:

One thing I'm confused about, is how to push back corruption. Since you always get attacked in two places, it seems like it'll start stacking up, unless I'm missing something.

If you win a battle in an area that already has corruption it gets pushed back one level. I'm not sure if it's possible to push it back everywhere, but you can hold it off for a while.

Working on next update. The fastest gun in the Baltic gets to show his stuff.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Heir03 posted:

You don't. Even if you successfully repel 1 of the two (sometimes 3) simultaneous attacks, each attack will add at least one block of corruption overall (each region has 3 blocks before it goes down). Your goal, ultimately, is to hold out for the 300 years it takes for the chalice to finish its thing and get rid of the corruption.

I've just played 10 hours of this game over the last two days, someone help me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Part 37: The Path of Zinchenko

Just one more day till the big plasma rifles are finished.

Some people say that learning how to shoot poo poo is the only important part of being a soldier, but what do you do when you get shot yourself? PHYSICAL THERAPY! We’re going to upgrade our whole recovery program. You’ll be able to take a bullet in the gut on Monday and be fit for duty on Thursday!
I can already do that. Regeneration, remember?
SHUT YOUR TRAP, WATKINS! Even YOU can have better recovery time! Even if it means learning how to dig out the buckshot by yourself barehanded!
Oh, god, I shouldn’t have said anything!

Distress call from Zinchenko! Team, get ready for an emergency evacuation!
Oh thank GOD. Saved by the bell.
You’re not going, Cam, the doctor still has you under observation for the next 24 hours.

I wanted to send Annette, but she’s still shook up after what happened in the terror mission, and these guys are still looking for her. Leroy, you’re support.
This doesn’t mean you’re off the hook, Cam! When we get back from kicking EXALT’s rear end I’m gonna drill you!
Heh. Good. Don’t ease up on Cam for my sake, Peter.
I’ve calibrated my cybernetics to help aim for vital points, it should increase my damage output beyond what we even Bar-Lev is capable of.

…don… its’… can you read me? … yo… eed to…
They’re jamming his transmissions.

No time to lose, then! Go!
Doc’s really gotten into being a massive cyborg, huh?
I kinda like her like this. She seems happier.
It’s a train yard! I’ll vanish and scout ahead!

(oh poo poo! three of ‘em!)
Can’t sniff him out, there’s too many different scents here because of the cars and the train.
It’s fine. We’ve got a whole perimeter set up, he’s not getting out of here.
And when XCOM shows up to save him… heh heh…

Heads up, boys, they’re already here!
poo poo, we’re blown!

I see two by the truck! Haha, this one’s flanked! Say goodnight, suck— *click!*
*click* *click*
What the gently caress?!

My friends! I tried to warn you, it’s a trap! They’re using our own trick against us, jamming our guns’ IFF codes!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! How does it feel, fools, to have a taste of your own medicine?!
What? Oh poo poo!

If I switch off the comm relays I can turn the tables on them. To survive until then, you must do as I do!
Spend all friggin’ day jogging next to Cam?
You must use your non-hackable weapons against them! Sidearms, grenades, explosives, other items!

Hey, that’s actually a good plan. Grenade out, fuckers!
Oh poo poo!

Ha ha! Not such a good idea to take cover next to a big gasoline tank of a truck, was it?

gently caress! Why couldn’t I hit the giant yellow thing on top of a train?!
You’re just a radicalized office worker, aren’t you? Not a professional soldier at all.
…poo poo! She knows! How?!

She’s a shrink, she’s good at reading people. Doesn’t matter.
I’m popping smoke! Have fun trying to hit us in here with those dinky pistols of yours!

Reinforcements here! Aaaah, ZIN! There you are! You beat the poo poo out of me with a pool cue! Time for my revenge!

Here! One down, one to go!

I have LOTS of explosives! Eat this, you filthy brutes!

OWWW! poo poo!
Who the hell is this chick?
It’s the white-helmet-wearing-cowardly-one, I think.

Correction, she’s the amazingly-brave-and-sweet-one!

Ha ha ha ha ha! Don’t gently caress with desperate Russians, my friends!

gently caress! You people are crazy! Stay back!
drat, I can’t quite reach him, and your needle grenade doesn’t go through cover!

(Leroy, keep ‘em distracted with that blue hair of yours. I’ll sprint around back and shoot ‘em with my pistol.)
(With my what?)

Hi!
Where the hell did—?!

Blub! gugghh…

Targeting system’s still jammed, but if I set the gun to overload it’ll blast everything in your general direction.
HIT THE DIRT!
OWWW! These were new pants, you bitch!

Here, I’ll clear the second comm tower for you, Zin!

Thank you, Queen!

Come on, man, pull yourself together! Fight through the pain. We’re superior to these government-sector jokers!

Really?

GAAAAH!
I JUST HEALED THAT, YOU BLUE rear end in a top hat! OWWW!

Excellent work, Leroy! Allow me to finish the job.
NO, NO, NOT AGAIN—

Yes. Again. ALWAYS! Ha ha ha ha ha ha!

The Comm Towers are off! Your guns should work again.
Great, now we can extract you. Get to the Skyranger.
Before you are done? I can help!
Zin, you’ve only got a pistol.
BAH! There is no “only” when you have a pistol!

FOOOOOOOLS! Reinforcements, deploy!
Hey! What the hell’s this I’m hearing about you assholes losing our total tactical advantage?!
It’s not MY fault! This isn’t Watch_Dogs, they don’t have microchips in their grenades that make us able to hack them!

Which to shoot… oh, why bother. Grenade out!

Ha! Zin was right, this is more fun!

See? Now, let me finish your fine work.

He’s down.
Ha ha, and I just blew up the guy hiding by the cars!

Oh, god, it’s coming right for me!
Not to worry. My gun’s still cooling down. I promise I won’t shoot you.
Oh, thank god…

BLAUGH!
Ha ha! I hope that never, ever gets old. Oh, I’m a terrible person…

Is that it? No more EXALT to shoot? Time to pack it in, Zin.
*sigh* If you insist…
Time to go back to boring ol’ using our NORMAL guns all the time…

Great job, team! Miraculously, not a scratch on anyone.
My eardrums are a bit sore…

And good job, Zinchenko! You’re promoted.
Request my code name be changed to “No-Scope” sir!
Uh… sure! So, what’s your intel?
They are most definitely not operating in Mexico. I know this because they were planning on blowing it up! They found the location of a hidden Mayan city of gold housing an ancient super weapon that focused the rays of the sun into a laser beam.
Really!
Really. The city was destroyed, but I secured a little of the gold, so we can spend it on XCOM!
Okay… so… what the gently caress does that have to do with what you were doing in France?!
Well, that’s where the story gets complicated…

*** To Be Continued!***

“Addendum” posted:

(Well, yeah. What the hell else do you think Zin would have picked for his Sergeant-tier perk?)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Speedball posted:

BLAUGH!
Ha ha! I hope that never, ever gets old. Oh, I’m a terrible person…

You are not a terrible person. MEC punching is just that awesome.

*If ever MEC punching gets old, please consult your nearest XCOM facility. You may be suffering from an acute case of working for the enemy.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

berryjon posted:

You are not a terrible person. MEC punching is just that awesome.

The only disadvantage to this LP format is that GuavaMoment can't run in mid-post to yell BOOOOOOOOOSH. :v:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Alternate update title: The Most Satisfying Handicap I Ever Set Myself

Seriously. Way to make "We can't use our real guns" a complete one sided slaughter, in the other direction.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Welcome to every exalt op post lasers and mechs.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Gunslinger is one of my two favorite perks for my designated infiltrator.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Definitely, Gunslinger operatives are amazing. Give em the appropriate meld upgrades and they barely need the rest of your squad at all.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
Gunslinger, Low Profile, Mimetic Skin... Yeah, EXALT was not having a good day.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

kaosdrachen posted:

Gunslinger, Low Profile, Mimetic Skin... Yeah, EXALT was not having a good day.

You forgot all the Pistol upgrades in the Foundry and Plasma Pistols.

Yeah, they can wreck anyone at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

You forgot all the Pistol upgrades in the Foundry and Plasma Pistols.

Yeah, they can wreck anyone at that point.

Really by the time you get lasers and everyone in carapace armor, EXALT's days are numbered. They're at their most scary when your squad is armed with starter tech and hasn't had a chance to spend much if any meld.

• Locked thread