Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
J_RBG care to post some examples of where she breaks the iambic pentameter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

personally, i would translate polytropon as "twiztid"

e: Faygo's Homer

woop woop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ulvir posted:

woop woop

*throws a hatchet through a bunch of bows*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Safety Biscuits posted:

Wilson's essays about how she translated it the way she did are interesting, but "Tell me about a complicated man" sounds like a teenager wrote it.
I can't stop hearing that in Avril Lavigne's voice now.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I like it tbh

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tell me about a complicated man
Every time you do it makes me laugh

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Why'd you have to go and make Odysseus complicated
See the way your translating these words is getting me frustrated

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
can't wait for the Illiad translation that uses the epithet 'Hector who had a nice hat'

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

dat fine-assed Achilles henny

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Why would anyone read Homer anyway, there's a lot more contemporary American authors writing their stories these days

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Burning Rain posted:

Why would anyone read Homer anyway, there's a lot more contemporary American authors writing their stories these days

Many of them complicated men, incidentally

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Burning Rain posted:

with such brilliant prose like “im the little squirrel that loves to gently caress”

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Why read Homer when you can read Franzen

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Why indeed

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

mike12345 posted:

I just finished Martha Nussbaum's "Monarchy of Fear", a look at fear in politics from an anthropological, historical, and psychological perspective. You'll find her dissecting greek drama as well as the racism, sexism and misogyny of the Trump era. And it ends with a chapter on why not to lose hope. I think it's a pretty good read for everyone disillusioned with current day politics, a spin on Marianne Williamson's message, but without the hocus pocus and from a more scholarly position. Nussbaum's writing is very accessible without being dumb, to me it should be the gold standard of "pop philosophy" writing for the masses.

nussbaum is one of the few contemporary liberal political philosophers worth taking seriously, so i might check this out. i really liked what i read of her book on the capability approach to ethics.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

upheavals of though and love's knowledge are also worth reading

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i am profoundly skeptical of nussbaum's arguments on universal ethics

it just seems awfully pre-wittgensteinian

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I can feel the anxiety in this lion one.

E: oh whoops. Thought I was still in the PYF funny forum quotes thread. Hi everyone!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Lightning Rods was good, but not nearly as good as Last Samurai. Seemed to be a fair amount of filler in there and I was hoping it would go further into ridiculousness than it did. Also some surprisingly anachronistic stuff in there for a book published in 2011. Characters 'going through mail' and 'opening letters' and talking about how great physical encyclopedias are, and a few 'wow computers' sections. laugh out loud funny in many places though.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
what a great cover, much better than the one i got:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I recently read Constellations which is a collection of essays by Sinead Gleeson that I really enjoyed. It's mainly essays about her body and our bodies in general and how they exist in culture and society. I really liked it. The author has been sick a lot so she has really interesting perspectives and insights on being treated for major illnesses and accepting your lot in life as well as how longterm patients are treated by doctors. There're also essays about various artists who inspired her when she wrote or was sick that made me pretty excited to check out their work more like Frida Kahlo for example. Would recommend. You can read one of the essays on the guardian website

I just started reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee also. It's really good but a depressing read which is to be expected. I've been meaning to read it for a long time and picked it up after reading about Choctaw donations during the famine and finally getting around to it this week.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Cool, thanks for the recommendation! I've been thinking about buying Constellations for a while

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 13, 2019

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
There's another Sinéad Gleeson essay on Granta, about Lourdes. https://granta.com/blue-hills-chalk-bone/ I think it's in the book but I'm not sure.

Edit: The Lourdes essay put me off her/Constellations a little. It seemed so on-the-nose, and either elucidating for people who've never experienced (directly or indirectly) similar events or as representation for people who have (and are looking for solace in another account.) The Guardian essay seems better written to me, a better flow to it.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Aug 14, 2019

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The Lourdes essay is the first in the book yeah! I liked it a lot, her faith leaving her but not despairing was really interesting to me.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The Lourdes essay is the first in the book yeah! I liked it a lot, her faith leaving her but not despairing was really interesting to me.

I think what's stopped me most from getting the collection is the focus on "body betrayal" and finding any new purpose, even a victory from the lessons of it, where it takes you, etc. I've definitely had body-betrayal, but my first order betrayal is in the mind. I can see how finding purpose from/through/despite that type of experience can be seen as empowering, but with minds you either fall down the mad-yet-inspired artist route which is deeply problematic (or god forbid get held up as outsider art when you think it's "just art"), you're simply plain stuck with the results of madness, or you're "inspiring," either in day-to-day life or in achieving something "greater." Maybe it's even the simple fact that someone can take account of their life through such experience and recompose it into a unified meaning — which I would guess would be me doing a disservice to the weight of her struggles — is an ambition distant to me.

It's American based but Esme Weijun Wang wrote The Collected Schizophrenias, which I was far less hesitant about because it's set in the troubles of the mind (although US based rather than Irish.) Like the Lourdes essay a lot of it wasn't so much revealing as conciliatory to me, but for many it seems to have helped them see into a differing world. Gleeson is definitely part of a world opening up for a lot of people with these style of accounts (at least in the UK and Ireland) and Arnold Thomas Fanning's book Mind on Fire is something I'm wondering if it'll go down a similar route for the non-body stuff (much like Esme Weijun Wang.) I haven't read it yet but it's on my list.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mrenda posted:

I think what's stopped me most from getting the collection is the focus on "body betrayal" and finding any new purpose, even a victory from the lessons of it, where it takes you, etc. I've definitely had body-betrayal, but my first order betrayal is in the mind. I can see how finding purpose from/through/despite that type of experience can be seen as empowering, but with minds you either fall down the mad-yet-inspired artist route which is deeply problematic (or god forbid get held up as outsider art when you think it's "just art"), you're simply plain stuck with the results of madness, or you're "inspiring," either in day-to-day life or in achieving something "greater." Maybe it's even the simple fact that someone can take account of their life through such experience and recompose it into a unified meaning — which I would guess would be me doing a disservice to the weight of her struggles — is an ambition distant to me.

It's American based but Esme Weijun Wang wrote The Collected Schizophrenias, which I was far less hesitant about because it's set in the troubles of the mind (although US based rather than Irish.) Like the Lourdes essay a lot of it wasn't so much revealing as conciliatory to me, but for many it seems to have helped them see into a differing world. Gleeson is definitely part of a world opening up for a lot of people with these style of accounts (at least in the UK and Ireland) and Arnold Thomas Fanning's book Mind on Fire is something I'm wondering if it'll go down a similar route for the non-body stuff (much like Esme Weijun Wang.) I haven't read it yet but it's on my list.

I think I get what you mean about the real life account being written to be more of a story which I hadn't really thought about at the time but is obvious in retrospect, but I am quite stupid you see. I connected with it a lot growing up in Catholic Ireland as an ill child though quite a few years later than Gleeson and not nearly so sick. I remember sitting in mass and hearing about people going to Lourdes or Knock to pray for healing and wondering why the weren't more frightened. What if it didn't work? I hadn't really thought about the fact this wasn't a super universal experience so I guess the essay didn't feel symbolic or written to portray a specific meaning. More like someone living through what I always thought about as a child.

I don't think the essays are very unified though, they have a loose connection of body parts (though maybe a third are just independent of bodies generally) but I don't think they have a unifying meaning or purpose they're working together to express. I think they serve more as rough framing or starting points for a pretty large variety of topics. I'm not doing a very good job at explaining this I think!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I think I get what you mean about the real life account being written to be more of a story which I hadn't really thought about at the time but is obvious in retrospect, but I am quite stupid you see. I connected with it a lot growing up in Catholic Ireland as an ill child though quite a few years later than Gleeson and not nearly so sick. I remember sitting in mass and hearing about people going to Lourdes or Knock to pray for healing and wondering why the weren't more frightened. What if it didn't work? I hadn't really thought about the fact this wasn't a super universal experience so I guess the essay didn't feel symbolic or written to portray a specific meaning. More like someone living through what I always thought about as a child.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but I think it reflects a little on my saying it's "representation for people who have [experienced Lourdes through illness]." I've been in Lourdes when I was very young, and thought it was a load of mumbo jumbo, especially taps everywhere supplying Holy Water like it was a giant kitchen: it didn't seem holy, or precious, rather an industry. A friend's position on Lourdes was that it was just generally awful. Lots of fussing, lots of false hope, and his considered position was that if you have a sick child who's in a bad way (like he was) then take them to Disneyland where they might actually have some straight-up fun in a place designed for fun.

So for you, you saw your experience written about. And from someone outside of Ireland they might get an insight into what was going on with these pilgrimages. I just felt it was a little surface level, with nothing revelatory about the situation. Maybe it doesn't need to be though. Seeing it written is what some people want, and a document of those events probably is important. It just didn't add anything for me.

That being said it was from 2016, so it very well may have been an early essay she wrote. The Guardian link I felt was a lot more point and impactful, with far better prose, even if more idiosyncratic in the details and less about an almost universal (by degrees) Irish experience.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
i'm reading Eros and Magic in the Renaissance and anyone who's into anything occult should definitely check out any book by Ioan P. Couliano who was some cool Romanian scholar that i guess is one of the few academics that writes about gnosticism and the occult that anyone takes seriously. also, he was murder in 1991 and no one was ever charged. :iiam:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Found a copy of the male edition of Dictionary of the Khazars today and I am excited

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Heath posted:

Found a copy of the male edition of Dictionary of the Khazars today and I am excited

Bullshit, damnit

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

mdemone posted:

Bullshit, damnit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Pics of 293-294 plz

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Anyone know where I can track down a non-spoiler character sheet for In The Name Of The Rose? I'm terrible with character names and it's hard for me to follow exactly who's who.

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Does the Odyssey even count as literature? It has magic in it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ibexaz posted:

Anyone know where I can track down a non-spoiler character sheet for In The Name Of The Rose? I'm terrible with character names and it's hard for me to follow exactly who's who.

quote:

Primary characters
William of Baskerville – main protagonist, a Franciscan friar
Adso of Melk – narrator, Benedictine novice accompanying William

At the monastery
Abo of Fossanova – the abbot of the Benedictine monastery
Severinus of Sankt Wendel – herbalist who helps William
Malachi of Hildesheim – librarian
Berengar of Arundel – assistant librarian
Adelmo of Otranto – illuminator, novice
Venantius of Salvemec – translator of manuscripts
Benno of Uppsala – student of rhetoric
Alinardo of Grottaferrata – eldest monk
Jorge of Burgos – elderly blind monk
Remigio of Varagine – cellarer
Salvatore of Montferrat – monk, associate of Remigio
Nicholas of Morimondo – glazier
Aymaro of Alessandria – gossipy, sneering monk
Pacificus of Tivoli
Peter of Sant’Albano
Waldo of Hereford
Magnus of Iona
Patrick of Clonmacnois
Rabano of Toledo

Outsiders
Ubertino of Casale – Franciscan friar in exile, friend of William
Michael of Cesena – Minister General of the Franciscans
Bernard Gui – Inquisitor
Bertrand del Poggetto – Cardinal and leader of the Papal legation
Jerome of Kaffa (Jerome of Catalonia aka Hieronymus Catalani) – Bishop of Kaffa
Peasant girl from the village below the monastery

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Moonlit Knight posted:

if you're honestly asking if probably the most seminal epic poem from ancient greece counts as literature, then yes, yes it does.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Moonlit Knight posted:

Super Mario's or Abe's? The answer is yes to both.

Serious answer: Literature can have magic in it, my friend. There's an entire literary movement from Latin America called Magical Realism.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It's Abe's Oddysee not Odyssey 🙄

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Moonlit Knight posted:

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The Odyssey also kind of has a dragon