Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Sindai posted:

I really like the idea of a villain who just wants to get all her cheevos.
I like that too, and I wish the game had ever been about that before now, instead of... whatever it's been about.

I guess we don't know if it's actually a "she" behind it, either. It would be way creepier if they're a dude, and in this very specific case that might be an improvement.

That's something I'd like to play a game about. What are some reasons some players prefer to play as characters like themselves? Is that always a bad thing? What are some reasons some players prefer to play as characters unlike themselves? Is that always a good thing? These are just a few interesting questions that this game hasn't asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh cool, this is at the end game so I dont have to worry about spoilers really. I LOVE this game, the way it treats the 4th wall actually made me feel, when I had to put the game down for a while and immediately came back to Ion blasting me for not caring about this world, I felt pain, I cried. This game embodies my view that every story ever is a true story that happens in some world in some dimension, and it is god drat beautiful.

Feinne, you LP alot of my favorite games, and I just gotta ask, have you ever considered adding some extra personality to your LPs rather than pretty much straight transcribing them? I'm not saying alter character dialogue, I mean more like make a bad joke about the events and whatnot.

Edit: Gotta love that you platinum most Gust Games simply by experiencing the story. All 2 of my plats are from them.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 3, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Spuzzz posted:

The final area is also a complete pain, every fight there has 50 waves to it.

And at least 2 miniboss formations, maybe 3. It's nice for some last hour grinding, but if you don't need that, just escape. It's easier on the player sanity.

I'm curious, Feinne, do you have one or two jamming resistance gems equipped? They reduce the effect of attacks that drop your burst gauge. Unfortunately, Earthes and Ion are more vulnerable to jamming attacks since their jam resistance gems are 50% reduction to Delta/Cass' 75% (and no, 2 50% gems give you 75%, it's multiplicative).

The Soreil uses a strict attack pattern and the burst-draining attack is every 4(or 5?) turns; best tactic is probably to fully charge the harmonics gauge and pop an harmoburst the turn it'd use that attack, since by the time you can accumulate full harmonic bar the burst gauge is already at equilibrium with the drains from the boss' attacks.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Omobono posted:

And at least 2 miniboss formations, maybe 3. It's nice for some last hour grinding, but if you don't need that, just escape. It's easier on the player sanity.

I'm curious, Feinne, do you have one or two jamming resistance gems equipped? They reduce the effect of attacks that drop your burst gauge. Unfortunately, Earthes and Ion are more vulnerable to jamming attacks since their jam resistance gems are 50% reduction to Delta/Cass' 75% (and no, 2 50% gems give you 75%, it's multiplicative).

The Soreil uses a strict attack pattern and the burst-draining attack is every 4(or 5?) turns; best tactic is probably to fully charge the harmonics gauge and pop an harmoburst the turn it'd use that attack, since by the time you can accumulate full harmonic bar the burst gauge is already at equilibrium with the drains from the boss' attacks.

Oh is THAT what they do? I always assumed they were just bugged to do nothing like so many other things in this game because jamming attacks are so loving rare.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Oh is THAT what they do? I always assumed they were just bugged to do nothing like so many other things in this game because jamming attacks are so loving rare.

I noticed only during the bonus boss, since she straight up zeros your accumulated burst if you don't have any jamming resistance. Until then, I kinda assumed jamming attacks were the turn-ending counters from the buggy enemies.
I reset the game, equipped a jamming resistance gem (Delta & Cass), and that attack drained only 25% of my burst.

E: but seriously, good luck noticing both
a) you're losing burst
b) it's percentage based
outside of blatant numbers like 100% drain. The mechanic kinda needed a specific floating damage number.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 3, 2016

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012
The final boss dialogue for both halves is amazing, though I ESPECIALLY lost it for Ion/Earthes. Just...just wait. I'm going to agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if this concept was explored more thoroughly, though in a way Ion's Geonometrics tends to touch on it, a lot. Like, seriously, her calling you out on being able to turn it off or cheat or whatever was pretty legit awesome. Still...yeah, I dunno, the plot is ok at best.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

UncertainKitten posted:

The final boss dialogue for both halves is amazing, though I ESPECIALLY lost it for Ion/Earthes. Just...just wait. I'm going to agree with the sentiment that it would be nice if this concept was explored more thoroughly, though in a way Ion's Geonometrics tends to touch on it, a lot. Like, seriously, her calling you out on being able to turn it off or cheat or whatever was pretty legit awesome. Still...yeah, I dunno, the plot is ok at best.
The distinction between complete detachment from the game world versus healthy investment versus unhealthy obsession is a pretty interesting thing for a game to talk about in a post-moe world, I have to give it that.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
"Hey, you know how we have a series known for its amazing music? Why don't we repeat a 30 second song clip for the entirety of a 30 minutes bossfight?"
:argh:

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

The distinction between complete detachment from the game world versus healthy investment versus unhealthy obsession is a pretty interesting thing for a game to talk about in a post-moe world, I have to give it that.
Yeah. There's also some of the crazy "grind for 100s of hours" type be it uh Disagea's level/stat grinding or the more general grinding of an RNG until you get a drop that we know.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

"Hey, you know how we have a series known for its amazing music? Why don't we repeat a 30 second song clip for the entirety of a 30 minutes bossfight?"
:argh:

I KNOW that is the most egregious part of it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

UncertainKitten posted:

Phase 3 feels really rushed/money was running out, what with a short (and mostly fanservicy) main plot, the pile of synthesis and everything.
Prime's controller is a complete unknown beyond knowing Nelo's name. There might have been a decent kernel in interacting with the kind of dude that plays Ar nosurge the line like it's Numbers: The Increasing.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I had originally assumed it's someone who actually knew her (maybe even a relative) and that's how they know her real name and why they're such a rudebro but I'm starting to wonder if they're a super creeper who legitimately does think they're gonna bring her back to the world she comes from so they can have her or whatever.

Update in the next couple of days, depends on how my time shakes out after work here in the frozen hell of the high desert.

Also to go along with future events maybe I'll have some bizarre tangent trivia on NIS music sometime in the future.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 5, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

I had originally assumed it's someone who actually knew her (maybe even a relative) and that's how they know her real name and why they're such a rudebro but I'm starting to wonder if they're a super creeper who legitimately does think they're gonna bring her back to the world she comes from so they can have her or whatever.

It is implied that rudebro ground 100% completion while we were grinding 100% completion.
A relative would have stayed on-target, or at least harassed us to force the confrontation since he does need Ion for the ritual.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Feinne posted:

I KNOW that is the most egregious part of it.

Least Exsphere no Surge is cool still.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Feinne posted:

I'm starting to wonder if they're a super creeper who legitimately does think they're gonna bring her back to the world she comes from so they can have her or whatever.

It's this. A while back during an official stream GUST showed a video clip of what's happening on "Player 2"'s side of the final battle, and it turns out "Player 2" is your stereotypical fat otaku living at home with his mom.

Unfortunately I can't find the clip any more as it was on blackraen's youtube channel before he culled all the non-Ciel noSurge stuff on there, although I wouldn't really have posted it yet anyway because it gets further ahead than we are now.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Once you enter that conversation, it's a bit facile to just say, "Yes, some people who play these games are definitely creeps, but don't worry, player, we know you're one of the good ones!", but in this case, I guess it's about the best you can hope for. It's at least better than pretending all your players are paragons of virtue.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 6, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Given that 2 had no qualms about making fun of the kind of people who play games like it I'm not totally sure Gust is on the record as saying 'nah you're one of the good ones'.

I'm going to start tangential trivia (music + NIS) with a fertile field of obscure madness, Soul Nomad character themes. Whose themes are each of these?

Last Supper

Tow-Color Necklace

Bad Boys

Crash Landing

Cradle Blues

Crying for the Dark Sky

Magic Man

Magician's Illusion

Babylon of Souls

Desperado

Update maybe tomorrow, should probably have time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, let’s get back to the story. The end of it, in fact. Delta and Cass defeated the crazy dragon thing for the moment, which caused a number of things. First, the planet began to reform.

Video- “Recreation”

Watch

Second, Ion and Nelo reappeared.

Ion! Nelo!
Unn…!
You look okay… Thank goodness.
Cass! Delta!
Are you alright?
Yes, I’m fine… But where are Nelo and Prim?
Prim?!

Third, it seemed for the moment Prim was back in control of her own body.

Are…are you yourself again?
Was Prim somebody else…?
…Not anymore. You’re the Prim I know.
But I said a lot of bad stuff, right?
That’s… It’s okay now. I’m just glad you came back to us…
He he he. Thanks Mommy!
You have to beat the Maternal Overseer!
What?
Now!
Wh-What’s wrong, Prim?

Unfortunately, things weren’t over.

What a pain…
You’re still here?!
And you’re still annoying. Why don’t you just stay put, hm? I’ll be taking Nelo and Ion, though.
Now, come along…
…Prim?
Wh-what? You shouldn’t be able to…how are you doing this?!
What happened?!
Prim can help too!
Prim?!

The real Prim managed to regain control long enough to give them their only option.

If you use his energy to create the planet, he won’t be able to do anything!
But if we do that you’ll…
Prim will be fine! Just hurry!
But--!
…!
Ion, please…sing…
Prim…
Alright Earthes, let’s go.
Ion?!
I can’t let her down now.
Sing with me, Prim… This is the true Ra-Ciel Reincarnation!

Though the Maternal Overseer still stood in their way.

Final Boss: Soreil 2, Electric Boogaloo
We’re fighting the Soreil again, but it’s actually a lot less annoying this time for a few reasons. First of all, it’s actually got a proper track instead of just the lead-in to one over and over again. It’s still three fights in a row with progressively stronger versions of the Soreil, but they all have less health than any of the forms we fought as Delta and Cass. It’s also lost some of the attacks associated with bits that got blown off in the first fight. It gains a cutscene attack that’s super annoying to guard though (the actual time you defend is basically after the cutscene ends in spite of all logic or sense) and it will sometimes use it twice in a row because the game doesn’t care for you much. Still the fight is much less absurdly long, especially if you save Song Magic all through the second form to end the final one more quickly.

In the end, the song was able to complete and Ra Ciela was born again.

Video- “Reincarnation”

Watch

However…

There was a price to be paid for their victory, because Prim had not been entirely truthful earlier.

We only did it because of you. You brought all of our thoughts together, and they became the planet.
Did Prim help…?
Yes!
…I’m sorry, Prim.
Why?
I’m so sorry!
No, Ion. You’re supposed to say “thank you.”
…Thank you, Prim.
Can I ask you something?
What is it?
Please, help Nelo. I feel really bad for her…
Of course. I promise.
Really? Thank you…
…Prim?
Hey, wake up! Prim!
PRIIIIIM!

Some time passed.

We huddled together through hardship, searching for a place to live, and food to eat.
Words cannot express how I feel for the people who lived aboard this ship for generations.
But I would like to tell them “thank you.”
As the Divine Empress, I want to thank you all for your survival, from the bottom of my heart.
We have built a long and complex history together.
The days when human and Sharl could not trust one another…
The time of despair, when our planet Ra Ciela was destroyed, and our future with it.
The moment we lost our land, which gave birth to all life.
But on this day, we shall finally be rescued from the cruel darkness of our past.
We stand now upon a new world, woven with our own hands, created for the sake of all life.
Upon this vast planet, humans, Sharl, and all others are brethren.
We must vow to one another to always live in harmony.
Now I shall tell you a story of the past, a time long ago that has been largely forgotten.
Many thousands of years ago, when the Sharl were still known as Genom…
Humans and Genom lived alongside one another as we do now. Both races trusted one another.
I see that trust rekindled now, as we come together like the blue sky meets the brilliant green of the horizon.
It will be your thoughts and actions that decide if that trust will be burn bright, or flicker and die.
Just as this planet was built from our thoughts…
So too will each and every one of your thoughts shape our future.
The Enlightened Sovereign…
And the Divine Empress…
Along with the rest of the Seven Pillars who stand behind us, all swear to lead you into this new future.
Let us build a beautiful, shining world together!

Yet later, Delta and Cass were waiting for something and seemed a bit tense.

Oh, sorry… Although you’re fidgeting quite a bit.
I-I caught it from you!
Oh, so it’s all my fault?!
Yes! Everything bad is your fault!
Why do you keep saying such mean things?!
I see you’re getting along well, as usual.
Sarly!
How’d it go?!

It, as it happened, had gone well. And that ‘it’ turned out to involve the Reincarnation and its miracle.

Prim!
Oh thank goodness…
This is amazing, Sarly… You really are a genius.
I didn’t do much myself.
I just used the Reincarnation you made and Nelo’s Oversight to call Prim back.
I’m really sorry, I…
It’s okay. You’ve had it worse than any of the rest of us.
Besides, we should be thanking you. You saved Prim.
…She’s important to me, too.
You’re pretty tough, Prim! Just what I’d expect from my kid.
He he he he he.
…What are you going to do now, Nelo? Do you have anywhere to go?
If you don’t…why don’t you come live with us?
Yeah! You should! It’d be awesome!

Moving in with your former nemeses/only friends is always a tricky maneuver and I can’t recommend it long term.

Of course it’s okay! Right Daddy?
Yeah, of course!
We should head over to Tattoria’s store, check out the seeds, and decide which vegetables to grow first!
Okay!
I…I’m going, too!
Ugh…you’re all so easily excited.
It’s going to get even louder when we have kids too…
Hey! Wait for me!

Anyway it was time for Ion to go through with something she’d been planning for quite some time.

It looks a little bit like my home.
Is your home even more beautiful than this?
The world where I lived was incredible. Just like this…
Do you want to go back?
…Um, I actually wanted to talk to you about that.
You know how I said that I wanted to help Nelo?
I wanted to stop her from using the souls of the humans and the Sharl…
But I also wanted her to learn to love THIS world.
I wanted both of those things.
But because we came from another world, we destroyed the balance of this one by being here.
So if we’re going to live here, we have to sever what ties our souls to our old home.
Is that really okay?/You can’t do that.
Yes, I already decided.
There are a lot of people in my old world that I’ll miss… My parents, my friends…
But right now there are just as many people here who are just as important to me.
So if the only way to go home is to destroy this world, I’ve decided I’ll just stay.
I’ve talked to Nelo about it, and we’ve made our decision.
But…if I go through with it, and sever that connection, I think my connection to you might disappear too.
That’s the one thing that really makes me sad.
There’s nothing we can do./I don’t want this to happen.

There’s no way of knowing who was behind Earthes but they must have been pretty okay, they didn’t turn this into more pain than there already was.

We couldn’t have saved this world without you.
Um, I…if I could, I’d stay connected to you forever.
I’m sorry, but I can’t destroy this world and all these people for my own selfish reasons.
So…this is goodbye.
I mean, of course I’m going to try and contact you again after things settle down here.
With Sarly and Shirotaka on the case, I’m sure we’ll figure something out.
I don’t know when, but…I promise we’ll meet again.
Stay safe, Ion./I love you, Ion.
Yeah! You too.

Feinne’s Notes:
As I recall this next scene changes slightly depending on which ending we’re getting. Ion’s allows us access to an alternative epilogue, which I’ll describe but probably not show because a) the thought of fighting the final encounter twice is already making me almost want to bitch out on showing both endings, and b) I think it’s a huge cop out.

The Seven were gathered to carry out Ion’s plan.

You really don’t need to thank us. We already promised we’d do this.
Are you sure about this? The Seven wove the song you requested Ionasal, but…
Once you sing it, the power connecting you to your home dimension will be cut off.
Nelo won’t be able to use Oversight, and you won’t be able to communicate with Earthes.
We have to ask you one more time… Are you really sure?
It’s alright.
I’m fine with that too. I’ve made my decision.
Nelo!
It’s okay, Prim. I really do want to stay here.
I don’t think I could stand to be separated from you, or Cass, or anyone else…
Nelo! Prim won’t ever leave you!
Yes, we’ll always be friends.
Our powers created some miracles here…
But they created even more disasters.
This world has accepted us. We can live here without those powers.
That’s why we’ve chosen to live here, with you.
Through this song.
I understand.
…Thank you, all of you, for opening your arms to us.
We hope to always be worthy of that generosity.
We’re happy to be here with you…
We’re happy to have you! Welcome to our world!

And so time passed. Nay continued on as the Divine Empress, with Renall’s assistance.

Kanon acted as the voice of the planet.

Sarly and Shirotaka continued to be terribly awkward nerds.

Delta and Cass were, well, Delta and Cass except they just had normal people stuff to argue about instead of crazy crap.

Ion was able to stay connected to Earthes for some time, and they spent it together exploring the new Ra Ciela.

And for the first time in longer than even I can imagine, Nelo wasn’t alone anymore.

Still, their happiness did come with a price, and as months went by they could tell that Interdimend’s connection was fading.

Is Interdimend really going to disconnect itself?
It should. The program was created for a specific goal.
Once that goal is achieved, it automatically severs the connection.
So…we didn’t really have to rush to release it?
I don’t know. Even I wasn’t aware of the side effects it was going to have.
Delta lost his memories and sensation, so…
It’s possible that if it had continued he would have been entirely replaced.
It would be an interesting phenomenon to witness, but the risk of such an experiment is too high.
Hm… Yeah, you’re right.
We got a lot of help from the person on the other end, though, so it’ll be a little lonely without them.
You’re a weird one.
Anyway, if you wanted to say thanks or goodbye, now’s the time.

Still, they were grateful for the help.

You were controlling Delta’s body, and I didn’t know what you were planning.
But I just didn’t understand what was going on, so I’m sorry for the way I acted.
And…thank you. For saving our world.
I didn’t know what kind of person you were until the end, but I know now that you’re a good person.
What happened to me was pretty scary, but I think because you were the one guiding me, I could accept it.
You really helped us out.
I wouldn’t mind letting you borrow my body every once in a while, so come back if you want. I’ll be waiting.
…Oh, uh, don’t do anything weird with it though, okay?
Anyway… See you around.

And as for whether Earthes ever returned, well, who’s to say. Because that’s the end of our story.

Well for now at least, Shurelia said she had something else to tell you when I mentioned we were almost done.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Ending Redux

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I'm almost willing to bet money that the Ion ending doesn't really "work" (from a narrative perspective) unless the player has completed Ciel, as Ion's "we've been through so much" speech feels like a placeholder that only exists for the player who haven't a Ciel save file; at the very least, I hope that's the case, since I'd be pissed if I waited through two years of another game (Ciel) and didn't get a special ending for the game that actually concludes Ion's story with the player.

Sadly, that would mean the US version lacks what would practically HAVE to be the canon ending, which kind of sucks...but I guess the ending with Cass and Delta kinda makes up for it, since this game is mostly their story without a Ciel save to work with, so ending with them is only logical.

Still, not knowing the canon ending is a little vexing...

Edit: Also, NotPrim was super dumb; he was just a random jerk who thought we was winning a game this whole time? What kind of game did he think he was playing? The only way to salvage the character would be DLC where you play as Prim, thus proving that people *will* actually play as a sadist, given the chance...but that creates a list of its own problems.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 7, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Being Nay is suffering.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
I'm happy to see that Sarly managed to use our Plot Device to preserve Prim by probably doing necromancy. Shame she can't write down Earthes' seven-dimensional phone number, though. Now who will Ion gently caress with?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

I'm happy to see that Sarly managed to use our Plot Device to preserve Prim by probably doing necromancy. Shame she can't write down Earthes' seven-dimensional phone number, though. Now who will Ion gently caress with?

She's always got Kanon, she'll be fine.

Also Shirotaka's DLC with Delta has an element that really clarifies how :smith: things would be if you didn't have the Reincarnation and she just died.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

So yeah, you know how "Player 2" doesn't do anything after Prim regains control a second time?

Well it turns out that in that video from that stream that showed his end of this fight I mentioned earlier, it turns out that about then his mom comes in and pulls the plug on his computer and yells at him to stop playing video games all day and get a job. I'm not even joking, that's how GUST wrote their main villain out.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It did not show up here. But I remember the other player saying that he choose Prim as his character because she is his type. (Yeah he is creepy)

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Icedude posted:

Well it turns out that in that video from that stream that showed his end of this fight I mentioned earlier, it turns out that about then his mom comes in and pulls the plug on his computer and yells at him to stop playing video games all day and get a job. I'm not even joking, that's how GUST wrote their main villain out.

Personally, I think that's actually a pretty fitting way to end things: people who don't actually go out into the world and do things don't have the right to influence the fate of people from another world. Player 2 was living a power fantasy in another world while refusing to take any control of his own life, and he ultimately paid for it in both his world and the game's.

Too bad GUST doesn't really have the right to call out other people for being lame, since they continually fail to at both narrative and game structure. In this case, the player controlling Prim should have made the power fantasy part of his character more obvious throughout the game, and should have subtly revealed just how pathetic his own life is through his mockery, as well as using the "not so different" trope to try and win the actual player over to his line of thinking: something like, "you're playing this game because you're powerless in your would too, right?" People who put forth effort in their own lives could laugh at him and call him out, and people actually like not-Prim would have some thinking to do about their own lives.

On a side note, did we ever learn why Delta opened that gate? Was not-Prim in control? If so, what was not-Prim trying to accomplish?

UncertainKitten
Oct 10, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

It did not show up here. But I remember the other player saying that he choose Prim as his character because she is his type. (Yeah he is creepy)

That's basically the amazing quote you get if you fight her with Earthes/Ion

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Isn't "player 2" just grinding out 100% completion in his game like they've already done the good ending with Nelo, and now they're just getting the bad endings for the trophies, and well because it is fun to be jerk in video-games. I don't think anyone can say they haven't been an jerk in video-games just for fun.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

thetruegentleman posted:

On a side note, did we ever learn why Delta opened that gate? Was not-Prim in control? If so, what was not-Prim trying to accomplish?

Jill: We need that gate open for our plan to work.
Rudebro: Will Ulilya go out with me afterwards?
Jill: Sure, why not? sucker
Rudebro: Sweet, let's go.

Nelo: :barf:

Omobono fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 7, 2016

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Omobono posted:

Jill: We need that gate open for our plan to work.
Rudebro: Will Ulilya go out with me afterwards?
Jill: Sure, why not? sucker
Rudebro: Sweet, let's go.

Nelo: :barf:

It's great because as the plot progresses you can really track Nelo's increasing discontent with the situation because she just wanted to go loving home but the chain of events to make that happen are just becoming more and more unpalatable, to the point where she openly tries to sabotage it shortly before she gets eaten by the Maternal Overseer.

And we will be seeing Ion's side of the ending, I just don't have it recorded and can't until I'm home from (as I've mentioned) travel for work. I also need to steel myself enough to record Shirotaka's dives, they're both really long and pretty :smith: (extremely so for Ion's honestly since it's literally the story of Why Ion Is Fine Never Going Home). For one thing it cements Ion as the gooniest protagonist of all time because she suffers terribly from nerdproblems.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

And we will be seeing Ion's side of the ending, I just don't have it recorded and can't until I'm home from (as I've mentioned) travel for work. I also need to steel myself enough to record Shirotaka's dives, they're both really long and pretty :smith: (extremely so for Ion's honestly since it's literally the story of Why Ion Is Fine Never Going Home). For one thing it cements Ion as the gooniest protagonist of all time because she suffers terribly from nerdproblems.

Well, she's already told us that she was more-or-less alone on her planet, because her family didn't understand why Ion was into mechanical stuff, and the other girls were (are?) a bit more interested in things more feminine than robots and power tools. I also think she's also in some rural town(?), which wouldn't help her find people with similar hobbies. Meanwhile, all her friends are on Ra Ciela, having wacky adventures while she's doing boring homework she either already knows the answer to or isn't interested in.

She was the empress of a planet, one of the seven heroes who made a new planet, and she married a robot controlled by someone from another dimension: how the hell is the life of an average high-school student going to keep her interested? How many times can she turn down the local sports champion before people start treating her like an ice queen, making her even more isolated than when she was first abducted? I'd give her a month before she flips out, builds a gate back to Ra Ciela and bolts.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The worst part about it is (as we'll see when we get there) that life had turned around just enough that she could fool herself into thinking things were going to finally get better but at the end of the day she's still got everything stacked against any hope of her future happiness and most likely everything's still going to be awful in the end.

Both DLCs are kinda cool actually because one of them is an even more blatant parody of dating sim games than previous 'bonus' dives have ever been and the other is someone at Gust ranting about how lovely young women interested in science and technology are treated by society for, like, a LONG time because it's really long.

Also funny story they are for three star songs but Shurelia is in both so if you do them while they're still relevant you spoil that she's in the game (I mean unless you've never played AT1 or 2 and therefore wouldn't either recognize kid Shurelia or that the dating sim section refers to her exactly as you'd expect for such a section). And if you never played AT1 and 2 god why did you buy this game, go find copies of those much better games instead.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2016

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Both DLCs are kinda cool actually because one of them is an even more blatant parody of dating sim games than previous 'bonus' dives have ever been and the other is someone at Gust ranting about how lovely young women interested in science and technology are treated by society for, like, a LONG time because it's really long.
Earnest and relevant social commentary? I don't believe it. I might have to give this game some respect after all.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Another ever-important thing to remember is that we will never see what Ion actually looks like. Recall that we're actually looking at Nay's body whenever we see her in the game, and this even extends to her preferring to think of herself like that in her own mind over her actual appearance. Given that one has to assume she was pretty unhappy with her actual appearance.

I mean gently caress she literally blew up her memories of what she really looked like, even the 'Missing' poster in that one dive for Nei Yuuki was just an outline of what she looks like now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
What kind of earth name is Ulilya?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

What kind of earth name is Ulilya?

One that isn't from Earth as she's from somewhere else on the 7th dimension, unlike Ion who's supposedly from the same part of the 7th dimension as us but probably from a different point in the 6th dimension. It's complicated.

Also, it's Ulyliyha.

e: vvvvvvvv :gonk:

Icedude fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 8, 2016

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Icedude posted:

One that isn't from Earth as she's from somewhere else on the 7th dimension, unlike Ion who's supposedly from the same part of the 7th dimension as us but probably from a different point in the 6th dimension. It's complicated.

Also, it's Ulyliyha.

Ulillillia? :v:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tarezax posted:

Ulillillia? :v:

Nah, Ukulele. The planet is pure loving madness:

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Feinne posted:

Another ever-important thing to remember is that we will never see what Ion actually looks like. Recall that we're actually looking at Nay's body whenever we see her in the game, and this even extends to her preferring to think of herself like that in her own mind over her actual appearance. Given that one has to assume she was pretty unhappy with her actual appearance.

I mean gently caress she literally blew up her memories of what she really looked like, even the 'Missing' poster in that one dive for Nei Yuuki was just an outline of what she looks like now.

Apparently there is official artwork of Ion, but it requires you to do finish Ciel, get Ion's ending, and link your PSN account between the two games.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Maybe she had already forgotten to begin with. Why should Ion remember what Nei Yuuki looked like? Nei Yuuki died alone, a long, long time ago. To borrow a phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justlysarcastic
Feb 22, 2010

no words necessary

Argas posted:

Apparently there is official artwork of Ion, but it requires you to do finish Ciel, get Ion's ending, and link your PSN account between the two games.

I dug around a little out of curiosity and found what you were talking about.

Unless I got misdirected, that's the image you get by connecting the two games after getting Ion's ending. There's supposed to be a voicemail with it too, but I couldn't find that.

• Locked thread