Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

veedubfreak posted:

Warhams getting nerfed.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: And Dragon Flame nerfs, haha. Now there's a `Mech that needed to lose its structure bonuses.

All of the structure was turned into armor (and then some), it's a straight minor buff. Flame did lose 5% turn speed for no apparent reason, though.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Time to play the poo poo out of my Black Widow before the patch hits.

Laser vomit Warhammer next, or switch to looking at the laser vomit Grasshopper after this?

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

thats my spirit animal

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cease to Hope posted:

All of the structure was turned into armor (and then some), it's a straight minor buff. Flame did lose 5% turn speed for no apparent reason, though.

Yeah, I was referencing the turn speed after the edit, I just didn't clean up the rest of it. It's what I get for looking at the red numbers without looking at what they were actually doing, not that extra armor really helps the Dragon in any case.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Wait the Grasshopper still has the size of a skyscraper doesn't it?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

how did they hit the warhammers?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

how did they hit the warhammers?

They nerfed the structure bonuses.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

:allears:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
After reading the patch notes, gently caress :pgi:. Seriously. Battletech can't come out soon enough.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
Lol, 4x mg's are going to be godly. IS robots will be squishy. And now I want a refund on my warhams.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

goes both ways, i've seen my srms sail through a mech and explode behind twice this evening.

in any case he deserves to die for having dogshit taste in music

Banano fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 21, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
One thing to keep in mind about mechs getting their structure slanted to armor- If people continue to slant their armor to the front (as they should) mechs that have had that switch happen will now explode gloriously when shot in the back. Jenner IICs bombers can now potentially one shot an atlas from the rear.

Willfrey posted:

at work, cant check, but is the D more armored than the RS? If not the RS may be better, packing all the lasers in the arms, unless you prefer the ct zombie setup

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=18&l=c6d1b6bcb5323007323371e9ee97005c3ee4f29d

You can do the poor man's boar's head with the RS, which is what I used prior to dishing out MC for the boar's head. Four LPLs works pretty well and has a whole lot of sustainability in the fight. If you're courageous (or stupid) you can even drop down to large lasers and a STD 300 and pick up an AC20. I don't recommend going that slow or you will be murdered every time when the team leaves you behind.

Ignore the fact that there is lots of back armor. I just didn't feel like distributing it for a slapdash mech build.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jan 21, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Good thing known OP mech shadowcat was nerfed.

Oh I like how they addressed the semi resurgence of jump shooting - nerfing torso yaw. Because gently caress you for trying.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
they got it right the first time when it shook you all the time thrust or not.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The only solution is to remove pitch and yaw completely from all mechs.

Also perhaps they could have more fixed ranges of motion. Something like a grid... or perhaps a hex.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Someone posted this on the MWO forums and it is amazing. Watch the highlander at the start just rocket thrust into a u turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDzzcNr7rZU

They changed the jump jet vectoring to push mechs forwards instead of up, so that instead of fighting 4x gravity they are now shooting in the direction that they're thrusting. The game would be amazing if you could vector jump jets like this, and jump jet assaults would suddenly be really loving good.

As far as I'm aware, this is (though not as extreme) mostly what battletech jump jets are supposed to be capable of, right? Sending a mech rocketing forward before it has to wobble around slowly on its tiny engine while the jump jets recharge. The std60 urbanmech would also trash people if it could get jump jets like this.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 21, 2017

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Oh I like how they addressed the semi resurgence of jump shooting - nerfing torso yaw. Because gently caress you for trying.

"Theyre jump sniping too much! Make it harder to do things besides jump snipe!"

:pgi:

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DancingShade posted:

When did this happen?

Last time I played people laughed at my for using a Shdowcat?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Bad jump snipers are unaffected by the change, but the good ones have one more step that they have to perform while jump sniping. It also makes the IIC more vulnerable in brawls as a whole, so if you actually close on jump snipe or poke oriented builds it will get trashed. The HBKIIC has always been kind of an awful brawler because it's either hot, lacking weapons, or lacking armor, and you need good heat management, a pile of close range weapons, and plenty of armor to brawl effectively. It's a super effective trailing mech to assist the brawlers though, and torso yaw being reduced doesn't affect that role very much at all.

Shadowcats are really good if you position yourself during the match to be firing at every single available laser or ppc cooldown that you have, heat permitting, but loving terrible if they're just being used to poke passively. They get their damage in by scraping off armor over time, kind of like the locust 1V. The structure nerfs won't punish good shadowcat players very much because they are mobile enough that you really shouldn't be getting shot with effective return fire anyway while also making GBS threads on people from afar.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 21, 2017

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Commoners posted:

Someone posted this on the MWO forums and it is amazing. Watch the highlander at the start just rocket thrust into a u turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDzzcNr7rZU

They changed the jump jet vectoring to push mechs forwards instead of up, so that instead of fighting 4x gravity they are now shooting in the direction that they're thrusting. The game would be amazing if you could vector jump jets like this, and jump jet assaults would suddenly be really loving good.

As far as I'm aware, this is (though not as extreme) mostly what battletech jump jets are supposed to be capable of, right? Sending a mech rocketing forward before it has to wobble around slowly on its tiny engine while the jump jets recharge. The std60 urbanmech would also trash people if it could get jump jets like this.

this would unironically own and would make things like the Victor more usable

like maybe some mechs get verti-jets and others get horizontal jets?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

In their skill tree preview one of the trees was entirely dedicated to jump jets, and one of them was jump jet vectoring. If maxing that out allows you to add speed to your ground speed in whatever direction you're going, it will be amazing for jump jet mechs.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

In their skill tree preview one of the trees was entirely dedicated to jump jets, and one of them was jump jet vectoring. If maxing that out allows you to add speed to your ground speed in whatever direction you're going, it will be amazing for jump jet mechs.

it could legit open up a whole new playstyle

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Low engine mech loadouts with shitloads of weapons and vectored jump jets would be able to launch into enemy teams and close ground quickly via jump jets, which would turn them into a massive threat against poke mechs due to the sheer weapon disparity. It would also mean that standard engines at low caps would be good because you no longer need to rely exclusively on that to get you into the fight. It would also mean that bracket building to some degree would be a good idea if you aren't on the jump jet train- You give your mech a little bit of poking capability to jab at people from afar while they try to stage an assault point, and when they rush in and are in your face you need weapons to actually fight them.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Great Beer posted:

"Theyre jump sniping too much! Make it harder to do things besides jump snipe!"

:pgi:

Seriously, every time they try to come up with a solution for this, it's the dumbest poo poo possible.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
In beta the jumpjets had much more forward momentum than upwards, and were more responsive as well. You could take a jenner and spend a solid half of the match rocketing back-and-forth pewpewing at the enemy. It was pretty fun.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Plek posted:

In beta the jumpjets had much more forward momentum than upwards, and were more responsive as well. You could take a jenner and spend a solid half of the match rocketing back-and-forth pewpewing at the enemy. It was pretty fun.

You could also take your Jenner and fly off into space.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Xae posted:

When did this happen?

Last time I played people laughed at my for using a Shdowcat?

There's been some speculation that PGI's metrics on the SHC are just showing its users get a high KDR; but what do Shadowcats do? They sit back 700m away with ECM and MASC and don't help the team and then when the other 11 people die they run away until the match ends to avoid dying. Think about how often the last mech you see alive is a Shadowcat.

So yeah, they're probably getting nerfed because Shadowcat pilots are the loving worst. Apologies to you if this isn't how you're playing your Shadowcat.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well before large clan pulses were ranged nerfed I used to like climbing the walls in HPG Uplink to snipe from there in a shadowcat.

Haven't touched the mech since my weapon of choice was "adjusted" though. Easier to just use other mechs since the SHC has hardpoint issues and can't stack medium pulses.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I only ever used the Shadowcat as an SRM striker. :(

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

Time to play the poo poo out of my Black Widow before the patch hits.

Laser vomit Warhammer next, or switch to looking at the laser vomit Grasshopper after this?

ZEU-9S laser vomit :wink:. It was already viable and it's getting upgraded to -10% heat gen, so I legit think it could become the middle ground between the Warhammer / Grasshopper and the Battlemaster laser vomits.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 21, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

ZEU-9S laser vomit :wink:. It was already viable and it's getting upgraded to -10% heat gen, so I legit think it could become the middle ground between the Warhammer / Grasshopper and the Battlemaster laser vomits.

Not really, unfortunately. It's an okay mech, but it has none of the features that make it good compared to those. The warhammer has great hitboxes, good quirks (even after the nerf,) and good hard points allocations. The grasshopper has jump jets and stupidly good hard points to go with decent energy quirks. The battlemaster also has stupidly good hard points that don't get much more ideal, and is only five tons higher than the zeus. The zeus is a knuckle dragger, and because that particular variant absolutely has to deadside smart players can just cut off the gun side with selective shots even if you are torso twisting properly because of its really obvious hit geometry.

It also has to compete with the awesome 8t for the laser vomit quirks with poor hard points and hit boxes award, and the awesome can also easily pile some SRM6s into its loadout to just run around making GBS threads on people with 30% cooldown, 15% heat, 15% duration, and 10% range on its lasers and 15% cooldown and 10% velocity on missiles. It can also zombie very effectively with a standard engine if you're not worried about going fast.

Zeuses can be fun to play because they're just not very good so it's fun to embarrass people with them. They don't really have special niche situations where they just rock everyone's poo poo and slaughter entire teams like the awesome or the vindicator.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 21, 2017

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
On the upside it's quite clear the old 3 light / 3 medium / 3 heavy /3 assault random team composition died some time ago so just drive whatever you like when you solo drop, "optimum" tonnage be damned.

Just have a 50 tonner you like on standby if you group queue.

Should add that deadsiding with an obvious geometry mech is actually really bad. When I did the hellbringer my side torso with the triple energy mounts was almost always torn off first.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The vindicator and awesome have situations where they are good?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Artificer posted:

Tier 5 I assume.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Tier 5 I assume.

Back in beta there was the Awesome MPL rush squad. :v:

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Commoners posted:

Not really, unfortunately. It's an okay mech, but it has none of the features that make it good compared to those. The warhammer has great hitboxes, good quirks (even after the nerf,) and good hard points allocations. The grasshopper has jump jets and stupidly good hard points to go with decent energy quirks. The battlemaster also has stupidly good hard points that don't get much more ideal, and is only five tons higher than the zeus. The zeus is a knuckle dragger, and because that particular variant absolutely has to deadside smart players can just cut off the gun side with selective shots even if you are torso twisting properly because of its really obvious hit geometry.

It also has to compete with the awesome 8t for the laser vomit quirks with poor hard points and hit boxes award, and the awesome can also easily pile some SRM6s into its loadout to just run around making GBS threads on people with 30% cooldown, 15% heat, 15% duration, and 10% range on its lasers and 15% cooldown and 10% velocity on missiles. It can also zombie very effectively with a standard engine if you're not worried about going fast.

Zeuses can be fun to play because they're just not very good so it's fun to embarrass people with them. They don't really have special niche situations where they just rock everyone's poo poo and slaughter entire teams like the awesome or the vindicator.

yeah pretty much :saddowns:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Artificer posted:

the one PPC awesome is at least average because even though it's an awesome it is capable of throwing PPCs downfield very quickly and for a long time

the vindicator-1AA makes a good jumpsniper and is actually pretty tough. The problem is it's going up against HBK-IICs and Blackjacks which are straight-up better at their jobs than it is

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The vindicator is excellent at making the phoenix hawk look worse by comparison, which is quite an achievement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

novaSphere posted:

I only ever used the Shadowcat as an SRM striker. :(

This and 7 MG rape bot is how I use one. Snipings only fun if you're doing it in a light with no armor and running for your life half the game.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread