Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Between the PP videos not having an ACORN-grade effect (yet?) and bigots like Davis being smacked down it's amazing to watch the extremely religious white wing get more and more desperate for some kind of victory. If the GOP's smart they're going to be playing this poo poo 24/7 next year with a message along the lines of ":supaburn: WHEN YOU DON'T VOTE THESE PEOPLE WIN AND DESTROY AMERICA :supaburn:" to try and squeeze out every last right wing vote they possibly can. A Democrat winning the White House, even without any gains in Congress, is going to be the cherry on top of the big tears-infused sundae.

The main reason there won't be lots of violence from these people isn't just because they're cowards, but because they're comfortable cowards. Most people are going to have a hard time throwing their life away when they can just go online and cry about oppression before turning on the TV to catch The 700 Club or 19 And Counting re-runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Why would they be? It literally has nothing to do with them, it has zero effect on their lives. Sure everyone loves a good circus, these people are bored, want to go see a good old show standing up for their lord and savior but at the end of the day they aren't going to actually risk anything.

Well, if someone legitimately believed that the gays were evil and sinful and would call God's wrath down then they could believe it was actually hurting them and they had to take action to protect themselves or others.

It is just that the impression I get is more "they think the gays are icky and everything else is retroactive justification for something that is more emotional than logical."

And the former could spark a very ill person to do something about it but unfortunately a lot of things can do that, including completely mundane things. (or even things which legitimately should be protested but spark the wrong guy.) These guys however are comfortable and cowardly and so they'll not do anything more than try to upset people and take pleasure in their minor meaningless victories.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

ImpAtom posted:

And the former could spark a very ill person to do something about it but unfortunately a lot of things can do that, including completely mundane things. (or even things which legitimately should be protested but spark the wrong guy.)

As I said before, my local neighborhood gay bar has heavily armed security during all business hours mostly for the protection of the patrons from anti-gay crazies. Seriously, the bar does not need someone walking around in tactical gear and a gun for the two dozen regulars that come in for lunch and a beer during work days. I went to the marriage rally and I seriously considered not going should a crazy person decide to plow their car into the crowd. Again, heavily police presence for our security, no one seriously thought that the gays celebrating a major civil rights victory were going to start rioting or anything.

Crazy people will do crazy things, they don't need another reason to but I mean this is hardly say desegregating lunch counters, they aren't getting invited much less be forced to go to gay weddings.

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE

Three Olives posted:

...they aren't getting invited much less be forced to go to gay weddings.

That's not what they're being told! :v:

vvv Wait a goddamn second, does that straw hat have a green visor bit in the front?

One Legged Cat fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 8, 2015

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Three Olives posted:

Only my finest overalls and straw hat for this momentous occasion.
amazing

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
His loving straw hat has a loving visor? What in the loving hell?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Agrajag posted:

It's for coming in from the fields and sitting at your desk and preparing all the taxes you don't plan on filing.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Agrajag posted:

I don't remember where I saw this comment but it nailed it: "Google Glass for hillbillies."

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
straw hat v_3.0

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Three Olives posted:

I don't remember where I saw this comment but it nailed it: "Google Glass for hillbillies."

Does it run on Straw Hat Linux?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
For a smidge of context, let me briefly introduce Accelerated Christian Education, or A.C.E. I realize I have a thread on this so I will keep this brief. A.C.E. was the pioneer of the do-it-yourself religious school as well as a massive pioneer in the christian home-school market. They were the first system of its kind and remain the largest, although now with the rise of ABEKA and a host of other clones A.C.E. does not control as large a portion of the market as they once did. That said, A.C.E. is the most extreme and there are now entire church's filled with people that have only known A.C.E. materials in their education, having attended somewhere like Liberty University if they get any higher education at all. Let me just throw a couple quick bits of A.C.E. your way.

This is an actual recruitment video for A.C.E. This is what they think will make parents want to send their children to an A.C.E. school. And you know what? They have their intended market read perfectly. There are about 5,000 of these schools in the US right now, down from an earlier peak of around 8,000, but still a significant number. This video starts out kind of slow but I promise you there is a magical moment where you suddenly realize that you are staring deeply into the abyss. You'll know it when it happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBUw4iWepk0

Here are some examples of A.C.E. materials. Note the heavy political messaging.

This is a comic that appears in an A.C.E workbook.

Bro. Roloff ran Rebekah Home for Girls, a house for abandoned/Orphan/Runaway/Troubled girls. Rebekah Home for Girl's used A.C.E., and Bro. Roloff was very active in promoting A.C.E.

Here is a brief sermon from Bro. Roloff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_flemNafqRE

Mother Jones Article about these sorts of homes.

quote:

NEW BEGINNINGS IS EMBLEMATIC of an unknown number of "troubled teen" homes catering to the Independent Fundamental Baptist community—a web of thousands of autonomous churches linked by doctrine, overlapping leadership, and affiliations with Bible colleges like Bob Jones University. IFB churches emphasize strict obedience and consider teen rebellion an invention of worldly society, so it's little surprise that families faced with teenage drinking, smoking, or truancy might turn to programs promising a tough-love fix. Fear of government intrusion—particularly on account of the community's "spare the rod, spoil the child" worldview—is so pervasive that IFB congregations are primed to dismiss regulatory actions against abusive facilities as religious persecution.

New Beginnings and numerous other Christian reform schools trace their lineages to Texas radio evangelist Lester Roloff, who founded the Rebekah Home for Girls in Corpus Christi back in 1967, employing disciplinary tactics that were adopted by dozens of imitators. He also pioneered girls' singing groups as a way to promote Rebekah Home—the "Honeybee Quartet" was featured in his daily revivalist radio broadcasts. But back at the hive, Roloff's wards were often subjected to days in locked isolation rooms where his sermons played in an endless loop. They also endured exhaustive corporal punishment. "Better a pink bottom than a black soul," Roloff famously declared at a 1973 court hearing after he was prosecuted by the state of Texas on behalf of 16 Rebekah girls. (The attorney general responded that he was more concerned with bottoms "that were blue, black, and bloody.") Later that year, a former student testified that a whipping at Rebekah Home left inch-high welts on her body.

Wanna guess why these homes remained open? Because George W Bush personally intervened to keep them open.

quote:

AT THE HEART OF LESTER ROLOFF’S BATTLE with the state of texas were his homes for troubled teenagers: reformatories where “parent-hating, Satan-worshiping, dope-taking immoral boys and girls,” as Roloff described his charges, were turned into “faithful servants of the Lord.” Roloff’s method of Bible discipline, which he said was rooted in Scripture, meant kneeling for hours on hardwood floors, licks meted out with a pine paddle or a leather strap, and the dreaded “lockup,” an isolation room where Roloff’s sermons were played for days on end. The state spent much of the seventies and early eighties fighting Roloff in court, insisting that he obtain a license for his youth homes and submit to state oversight. The preacher countered that he answered to a higher power and that his homes were licensed by God. Not until 1985 did the state prevail, forcing the Rebekah Home to shut its doors. At the time, no one anticipated that the political capital of faith-based social programs would rise dramatically in the next decade, or that Roloff’s beliefs, which were far afield of the religious mainstream, would gain a new foothold. But in 1997 then-governor George W. Bush put forth a legislative package that included precisely what Roloff had long fought for: allowing church-run child-care institutions to opt out of state licensing. By 1999 the Rebekah Home was back in business—and the stories of DeAnne Dawsey’s troubled adolescence, Lester Roloff’s crusade, and George W. Bush’s political career would converge.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From today

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
So much obesity.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Agrajag posted:

So much obesity.

Stuffed with God's love!

and type-59's

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Agrajag posted:

So much obesity.

Judgment or Cure?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Not completely sure they realize that usage of "bow" doesn't rhyme with "no".

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Three Olives posted:

Only my finest overalls and straw hat for this momentous occasion.

hillbillies.jpg

mdemone posted:

Not completely sure they realize that usage of "bow" doesn't rhyme with "no".

Haha I was thinking the same thing.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Prester John posted:

This video starts out kind of slow but I promise you there is a magical moment where you suddenly realize that you are staring deeply into the abyss. You'll know it when it happens.

Is it at the second mark?

Edit: Ok comparing children to livestock?

spazzhole
Aug 2, 2003

Dear Sandy,

Ever since that day I hit you, I've felt like we haven't been as close.

Ran out of room before he could finish bowl, because she hates bowling or something

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Gravel Gravy posted:

Is it at the second mark?

Edit: Ok comparing children to livestock?

That would be the one.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

So much obesity.

Someone should remind them that god wants them put a knife to their own throat.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Deep Hurting posted:

Haha I was thinking the same thing.
Actually I'm wondering if it's some dialect I don't know about where the vowel in the verb meaning of "bow" matches the noun meaning in pronunciation. Such things are possible, like the caught/cot merger that most Americans have but not all.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Of all the stupid here, the idea that the political right is so-called because they're actually right is by far the stupidest loving thing I've read in some time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Knew it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Do politicians etc have to purchase performance or synchronization licenses to play music at their events? I would think so.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

If it's a public exhibition, yeah.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

ReidRansom posted:

Do politicians etc have to purchase performance or synchronization licenses to play music at their events? I would think so.

Let's hope they do need to purchase it, so Franke Sullivan and company get in on that glorious right-wing cash cow. I know a good judge who'd be happy to hear their case. :getin:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I bet her stack of lawsuits is as high as an elephant's eye by now, hopefully including this one.

Ran Mad Dog
Aug 15, 2006
Algeapea and noodles - I will take your udon!
:lol: Was there anything about this event that wasn't a total sham?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Why was she released from jail anyway? I thought she would stay there until she either agreed to do her job or quit.

Clochette
Aug 12, 2013

Huckabee Aide Physically Blocked Cruz From Getting Into Kim Davis Money Shot

CAPTION CONTEST!

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why was she released from jail anyway? I thought she would stay there until she either agreed to do her job or quit.

Other people are doing her job, basically. As long as she doesn't stop them she can stay out of jail.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

More anti-Christian persecution. I mean they will seriously think that.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

If it's a public exhibition, yeah.

So probably both then, since they undoubtedly recorded the event themselves for promotional/bilking purposes as well.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Judge decided he would just let the deputy clerks do their jobs in her place and that he would just chuck her back in if she tried to stop them or tries to interfere with the already issued licenses somehow. Steal their thunder on the day of the rally and put it on her to decide if she goes back. Also there are potential actual crimes if she fucks about with the already issued stuff.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Ted Cruz is a beta bitch-baby.

**That's Cuban-Canadian presidential hopeful Ted Cruz after being kicked off-stage by Huckabee campaign interns.**

Huckabee wrecked his poo poo, and laughed all the way to the bank. We can laugh, too.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ted Cruz was the cuck this round

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Someone please please make a Cruz got cucked gif.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
One of the scarier things about this whole affair is just how uneducated the general public seems to be about the government. I'm not claiming to be an expert myself...but I at least understand what the Supreme Court's job is, that government workers are expected to enforce and uphold the law equally everywhere, and what it means when something is deemed unconstitutional. This is all stuff I learned in middle school, and yet there are SO MANY people who seemed to have skipped that day. People who think that the SCOTUS just created a law at the end of June, or that freedom of religion only applies to Christianity, and lets people discriminate against non-christians, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Please use his full name Rafael Edward Cruz.

• Locked thread