Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Several things no longer on airliners.

-Smoking
-Meals
-Men in suits masturbating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
2 seats in a space that would now have 3.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SocketSeven posted:

Yeah, but:

$453.60 to London.

That's $4,000 in today-dollars.

Anytime people complain about how airlines want to cram more and more people in by shaving away legroom or charging for potato chips should keep that in mind. I can call up a real airline and get a ticket leaving JFK tomorrow for less than half of that. That's insane. If two seats in a row is what you want, then spend twice as much and get a first-class ticket instead. I think it's great that people who can't afford first-class tickets can also travel by air now.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Phanatic posted:

Anytime people complain about how airlines want to cram more and more people in by shaving away legroom or charging for potato chips should keep that in mind. I can call up a real airline and get a ticket leaving JFK tomorrow for less than half of that. That's insane. If two seats in a row is what you want, then spend twice as much and get a first-class ticket instead. I think it's great that people who can't afford first-class tickets can also travel by air now.

The shrinking has started to cross a line on some airlines though, seats that are 17 inches wide, 3-4-3 layouts on a 777, it's awful.

Airlines that charge a little extra for a seat that is a little better are fine, but many don't have that option.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

FrozenVent posted:

-Smoking
-Meals

-People smiling

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

ehnus posted:

-People smiling

The stewardess looks like she's doing everything in her power not to conk the guy out with that coffee pot, looks pretty realistic to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sanchez posted:

The shrinking has started to cross a line on some airlines though, seats that are 17 inches wide, 3-4-3 layouts on a 777, it's awful.

Airlines that charge a little extra for a seat that is a little better are fine, but many don't have that option.

Basically, first class has turned in to a ridiculous suite based product, business class has turned in to the equivalent of a first class product (with the advent of all lie-flat business class) and economy has gotten shittier. There's a real space for something in between economy and business, which is more analogous to 1960s economy class or current domestic first. Most airlines are offering an intermediate product on international flights, but the quality and benefits vary greatly.

We're right in the middle of an evolution. As everyone does fleet refreshes or C-checks and replaces interiors, anything that goes over a major ocean is getting configured as F/J/Y+/Y or J/Y+/Y.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PhotoKirk posted:

Ever heard of the Hiller Hornet? It had ramjets on the ends of the rotors.

And no intercom.

The pilots had to scream at each other to communicate.

That's the example at Fantasy of Flight in Orlampa. The thing is like the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Adorable, until you look closer and realize that every single bit of it is trying to kill you.

It uses ramjets at the rotor tips for propulsion. Ramjets don't work very well when subsonic, so it burns a whole shitload of fuel. Hiller didn't have a whole lot of wiggle room in terms of physical location for the fuel tank, (it pretty much needs to be right under the rotor,) so that's where they put it. See what the seats are bolted to? Ya. Fuel tank. The whole thing, from the right to the left is full of fuel.

Also, when the ramjets flame out, (admittedly, ramjets are pretty dead-nuts simple, so an engine failure is unlikely, but fuel exhaustion is not, the 45 gallon fuel load is good for about 25 minutes,) they make so much drag that the collective has to be dropped to NEGATIVE rotor pitch to keep any energy in the rotor disc. Basically, the thing autorotates like a brick tied to a dandelion seed.

Amusingly, when K. Weeks bought his example, it was flyable, (!) and he made a single flight from his airport/museum, before every neighbor in the area told him to knock it off. It might be the second loudest aircraft, after the XF-84H.

The thing terrifies me, basically. The fifties were a weird time. Everyone wore suits, and drank a lot, but then they decided that poo poo like that was feasible. :v:

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
Posting from 5A of a Twin Otter.

The Saabs are down for maintenance.

Bliss.

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 13, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

MrYenko posted:

It uses ramjets at the rotor tips for propulsion.

The thing terrifies me, basically. The fifties were a weird time. Everyone wore suits, and drank a lot, but then they decided that poo poo like that was feasible. :v:

It only used ramjets because there weren't any nuclear reactors that small.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

joat mon posted:

It only used ramjets because there weren't any nuclear reactors that small.

I would bet that somewhere in a long-forgotten stack of blueprints is a design for an atomic helicopter. The Age of Atomic EVERYTHING was weird...

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I don't think we had any atomic helicopters, for the simple reason that you could just hover on magical atomic engine thrust. Massively irradiating the ground below you.

Edit: I lied. We wrote entire books on the subject, and Bell made drawings. :catstare:

http://books.google.com/books/about/An_Investigation_of_a_Nuclear_Powered_He.html?id=UH7pAAAAMAAJ

Dates from 1960; 300 feet long, 200 mph top speed, 500,000 pounds.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 14, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

SocketSeven posted:

3 humans with a mass that would now contain 2.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

PhotoKirk posted:

I would bet that somewhere in a long-forgotten stack of blueprints is a design for an atomic helicopter. The Age of Atomic EVERYTHING was loving AWESOME...

ftfy

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Basically, first class has turned in to a ridiculous suite based product, business class has turned in to the equivalent of a first class product (with the advent of all lie-flat business class) and economy has gotten shittier. There's a real space for something in between economy and business, which is more analogous to 1960s economy class or current domestic first. Most airlines are offering an intermediate product on international flights, but the quality and benefits vary greatly.

We're right in the middle of an evolution. As everyone does fleet refreshes or C-checks and replaces interiors, anything that goes over a major ocean is getting configured as F/J/Y+/Y or J/Y+/Y.

Here's a crazy question about domestic service... How long does your flight have to be before they include In Flight Entertainment? I realize that iPhones and iPads have changed the game, but you're lucky to have a power port in first class. I can remember listening to the music stations on short hops back in the 80s, watching some of the first personal TV screens in the late 90s, and then... From 2000-2014, flying a lot on major carriers, I only encountered any form of IFE on a Frontier flight to Denver in 2007. I'm guessing that Memphis is just cursed with short hops, but flying straight to LA, Boston, DC, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Detroit, Dallas, Pittsburgh... Every single flight was bare bones.

WiFi is cool (if that's even available), but when you're on a CRJ and the person in front of you is reclined back all the way, it's kind of hard to use a laptop, particularly with no power source if you're on a 2 or 3 connection flight and are running low on battery power. I don't need to be entertained 24/7, but considering the extra time you can spend on the ground rather than the air, even short flights can add up to a lot of hours and passengers seem to be happier if they can be distracted by TV, even if they're just flipping through channels.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

I don't think we had any atomic helicopters, for the simple reason that you could just hover on magical atomic engine thrust. Massively irradiating the ground below you.

Edit: I lied. We wrote entire books on the subject, and Bell made drawings. :catstare:

http://books.google.com/books/about/An_Investigation_of_a_Nuclear_Powered_He.html?id=UH7pAAAAMAAJ

Dates from 1960; 300 feet long, 200 mph top speed, 500,000 pounds.

The noise that thing would have made :stare:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just ordered all the back issues of International Air Power Review that I didn't have in my collection :cool:

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

FrozenVent posted:

-Smoking
-Meals

We need a return to wood panelling and cloth curtains. None of this plastic and pull-down blinds malarkey.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

benito posted:

I realize that iPhones and iPads have changed the game, but you're lucky to have a power port in first class.

Buy a 10,000 mAh portable battery pack, should be enough to keep your phone or tablet running for all but the longest of flights. Last two times I flew (7+ hours) I just carried my laptop onto the plane and used it's charging USB port to power my GSIII.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Geoj posted:

Buy a 10,000 mAh portable battery pack, should be enough to keep your phone or tablet running for all but the longest of flights. Last two times I flew (7+ hours) I just carried my laptop onto the plane and used it's charging USB port to power my GSIII.

I'm not so much worried about me... I can just zone out and listen to podcasts for the duration with my eyes closed. It's when you have a plane full of passengers that are bored and irritated and didn't bring anything to read, watch, or listen to. instead of quietly watching something with headphones, they're loudly talking with their seatmates, arguing with flight attendants, announcing that they're going to take a crap in the bathroom because they don't have anything better to do because "hey, bucket list!"

Modern air travel is unpleasant today for a lot of reasons, but there are times when you think that a Greyhound bus is a better alternative just because you get more leg room and don't have to get groped in the process of boarding, and you're not treated like a potential criminal for the duration of the trip.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

All of that stuff happens on flights with IFE. Except the bucket list thing, I'm not convinced that ever happens.

Also just get pre check if you're American. It's a small price to pay for 5 years of convenience.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

benito posted:

announcing that they're going to take a crap in the bathroom because they don't have anything better to do because "hey, bucket list!"

Hey, at least you can revel in the fact that your life is more interesting than these people's ever will be.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

benito posted:

Modern air travel is unpleasant today for a lot of reasons, but there are times when you think that a Greyhound bus is a better alternative just because you get more leg room and don't have to get groped in the process of boarding, and you're not treated like a potential criminal for the duration of the trip.

No way, Greyhound is awful. I hope to never have to do that again...6.5 hours to go from Pittsburgh to State College because I didn't have a car in college, gently caress that.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

sellouts posted:

All of that stuff happens on flights with IFE. Except the bucket list thing, I'm not convinced that ever happens.

Had it happen on my recent flight from MSP->MEM. And the guy bragged about the experience to his friend afterwards. I'm not trying to be elitist, but economy section, major airline travel seems to keep getting worse and worse over time, and it's not necessarily because of the passengers. Treat adults and paying customers like children and/or prisoners and you get a lot of weird behavior. Add to that things like the #$(*!@$ baggage fees and you just make boarding and deplaning far more complicated than they need to be... I'm most sympathetic to the airline employees (flight attendants, gate agents, baggage handlers, etc.) who bear the brunt of this misery while having to enforce these bizarre policies that sound like psychological experiments from the 50s that are now banned by ethics regulations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man you really hate flying or something. I regularly had over 50k miles/year and never thought it was that bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sellouts posted:

Man you really hate flying or something. I regularly had over 50k miles/year and never thought it was that bad.

Funny thing happens after you get 25k miles - you get to sit in exit rows next to other people who are bored with air travel or you get upgraded to first

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

Funny thing happens after you get 25k miles - you get to sit in exit rows next to other people who are bored with air travel or you get upgraded to first

This. The hordes sitting behind the wing are practically subhuman.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jealous Cow posted:

This. The hordes sitting behind the wing are practically subhuman.

According to the airlines, yes. :(

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't like traveling much but I sure do love flying. Even crammed in the cattle cars of economy, I always enjoy it.

I just wish the check in folks would take pity on me more often and give me exit rows or bulkheads (I'm very tall). But I usually just cram myself in, wedge my femur behind the seat in front to prevent any thoughts of reclining, and go into a zen trance of sorts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Pooping on a plane is part of a bucket list for somebody?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

Neither are true when your flights are booked at the relative last minute for work.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sellouts posted:

Neither are true when your flights are booked at the relative last minute for work.

Only good thing about flex/refundable fares is that you get to the top of the upgrade list. Or at least can grab the exit row seats that the people that were just upgraded vacated.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah, I guess. Still pretty hard to do on Transcons.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

CharlesM posted:

Pooping on a plane is part of a bucket list for somebody?

When was the last time you took a poo poo at Mach 0.8

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

An interesting bucket list would contain shtting in a bucket, not a plane.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
making GBS threads in an airplane toilet is nothing to write home about.

CLOGGING an airplane toilet with your poo poo on the other hand...

making GBS threads on the drinks cart: Also something to write home about.
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gerard_Finneran

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jun 14, 2014

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Ola posted:

An interesting bucket list would contain shtting in a bucket, not a plane.

Fly military and you get to do both at once.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Snowdens Secret posted:

Last time I took a flight somewhere.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Last time I ate Indian food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ctishman posted:

Fly military and you get to do both at once.

I believe Su-34 flight crews have everyone beat on this one.

Well, astronauts I suppose but theres no speed of sound in orbit...