Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Why do we even need a sling?

I assume Force Multipliers still work even if you have super strength. Otherwise, why would we ever use weapons at all?

Small, precise ranged weapons like the sling have a number of benefits over larger, more destructive ones. Less collateral, for instance, which is something we might care about during Jubilee Sieges. Sling-stones would also be harder to dodge, though not against magic-dodge-all opponents like Gebebian Giants, I suppose. Additionally, they would be more likely to pierce tough hide or heavy armour. See the Once Consort fight for a good example of this.

Whats more, they would be much easier to craft and transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

So we have a populace that loves us, in part due to actions of our forefathers. We are upsetting regional diplomacy compared to the status quo due to our perceived dangerous scientific advancements. When we go to visit the mines and/or the fields, everyone comments on just how amazing we are and what great ideas we have. We have a more militarily powerful leader who attempts to shield us/reign us in. Truly goons have made our own North Korea, replete with a Dear Leader. Again.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

I assume Force Multipliers still work even if you have super strength. Otherwise, why would we ever use weapons at all?

Small, precise ranged weapons like the sling have a number of benefits over larger, more destructive ones. Less collateral, for instance, which is something we might care about during Jubilee Sieges. Sling-stones would also be harder to dodge, though not against magic-dodge-all opponents like Gebebian Giants, I suppose. Additionally, they would be more likely to pierce tough hide or heavy armour. See the Once Consort fight for a good example of this.

How hard and how accurately can we throw slingshot with our bare hands?

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I am not weak. :colbert:

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Considering our ridiculous strength, what could we even make a sling out of that wouldn't rip from the centrifugal force of our slingstone?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

the_steve posted:

Considering our ridiculous strength, what could we even make a sling out of that wouldn't rip from the centrifugal force of our slingstone?

Blooded foreskins.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

There Bias Two posted:

Blooded foreskins.

DNE, all the Blooded are circumcised.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

There Bias Two posted:

Blooded foreskins.

I really didn't need the image of Enkidel raising Minotaurs over centuries until finally one of them has a foreskin strong enough to withstand him spinning it in a circular motion. But now I am sharing it with you.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Dr Subterfuge posted:

DNE, all the Blooded are circumcised.

Yeah, because Baitel wants all the valuable foreskins for themselves.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

the_steve posted:

Monster parts? The skin of a Behemoth? Blooded Donkey Hide? Hydraskin? Whatever Paebels robe is made of? Mighty-hardened normal cloth in the heat of combat? Or again, whatever the Mighty Upholsterer of Zepath thinks would be best.

AJ_Impy posted:

How hard and how accurately can we throw slingshot with our bare hands?

Probably very, but again, a Sling would make it slightly better!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Blasphemaster posted:

gently caress it let's go full Redwall and say we can forge an edge to end all edges directly onto our murdery bits because we're so cool.

I remember advocating blooded bronze hamster balls covered with spikes during the battle for acco. Maybe it's time to revisit that.

Imagine we stick the balls in these and just hurl them at the enemy like those chainsaw ball things from battleship.

The Codex Enkidel calls this move Man Rain

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

The problem is that blooded men can already do everything necessary with a javelin or a regular ol' rock. Things like jai alai gloves, atlatls, slings, and whatever else don't do much for them because it's easier to just throw things as they are and they are strong enough that they don't really need additional range or power to get kills. Even at just a few tens of dudestrengths Enkidel was able to spear one Bnaimokt to another during the Ibleam temple fight, blooded men can do the same easily.

The real value of these weapons would be for common soldiers, who could benefit from having the added range/power. Assuming they were fighting men, that is. Against the opponents that we traditionally face the value of these weapons is drastically reduced. Regular fishmen are already very easy to kill with a bow, something that everyone in Kavodel knows how to use and trains with, or with javelins and then sarissas and spears. Having an atlatl probably won't make the difference between killing a giant crab or lobster and not for these guys, the armor is just too thick. So if it doesn't change what they can kill and they already murder chaff easily there's no real value against the sea. As for the Bnaimokt they have heavy armor, carry tower shields, and have bone plates under their skin. A common soldier isn't going to get anything through all that and we know it, which is why Asahel admits that even with squad tactics and sarissas they probably won't be able to do much of anything except die a bit slower. Minotaurs and horrorpedes are too tough for anything to make a difference beyond a bow and arrow and conventional wisdom, which is that you shoot it and then it kills you, maybe dying later after you are dead.

If they made any difference at all I'd be more interested in getting this sort of thing done, but we just don't fight the sorts of things where it's worth the investment.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Actually, while we're talking about defense Diog - are we building the wall around Kavodel at it's current size, or leaving room for future growth?

Don't want to build a wall, then have Kavodel grow larger and we end up with a divide between those who live in and outside the wall.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

We build another wall and make the first taller. Also enough space to allow for mass arrow fire.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Just do a Baitel thing and make another wall a month out from the city. Encompassing Zepath as well, because why not?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I mean a multiwall system can be used to compartmentalize invaders. They have to keep busting in so you can try to at least minimize certain kinds of pillaging or whatever. Pretty sure that's a thing

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Diog - Try to telekinetically move the red cedar club

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

IIRC we have and it doesn't work

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has Ish ever told us not to eat the club?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

super sweet best pal posted:

Has Ish ever told us not to eat the club?

He's told us not to eat magical items.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Voting to eat the club anyway.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Guys, can we collect some fleas or lice and force them to try to drink our blood? I want to see if our blood kills them like the yokels believe. Will we create Mighty Crabs? Only experimentation will lead us to that answer.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Diqnol posted:

Guys, can we collect some fleas or lice and force them to try to drink our blood? I want to see if our blood kills them like the yokels believe. Will we create Mighty Crabs? Only experimentation will lead us to that answer.

Please do not use our blood for a science experiment.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

We don't have time to get to questions at this moment. Here is the post on atlatls also possibly relevant to slings, from the last time it came up:

Diogines posted:

The Capybaras had time to think on it. A normal atlatl would be useless to a Blooded man. It would break. If you made one out of Blooded Bronze it would....
+Probably offer increased range.
+Probably offer increased power.
-Probably make it impossible to hit anything at anything longer than close range.

When a well Blooded man throws something hard, he must do so with his greatly increased coordination and at the speeds they are thrown at, resistance from the wind. By using a tool his ability to aim the projectile will not be tremendously effected at close range but at anything further than that will greatly negatively impacted.

If you want to make one you can. You being the operative word. It is going to need to be made of intermediate quality Blooded Bronze so something like that will be the effort of months at a forge. This is not an appropriate time to vote on making one, if you want to. Bring it up at the next time skip.

I could have sworn we had a post where you tried it at some point and if you didn't, you did now, in the last time skip. The results were as above for your Mighty Men, except Uriah who had much the same results as above, but also offered a little more insight saying "I just can't feel it."

You ask him to explain but he says "I can't. With a spear or a rock or a knife or anything it is one solid thing. I... am not sure how to explain it. I can't feel the spear, so I can't aim it."

You don't understand. Uriah says "I can't believe explain it. It is... it is like a color, how do I say a color?" Uriah is unaware you see a bunch he can't "It should work but it won't because it is two things when it should be one thing. If it was only one I could control it, I could aim it. But two things is one too many. That is the closest I can say, I think? That didn't really make any sense did it?"

Not really Uriah, but you thank him for trying anyway.

Unlike the others, he seemed genuinely confused and frustrated that it didn't work. The others simply failed and that was that.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 29, 2018

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I like that Uriah is annoyed that he can't use multipart murder tools. Truly, he loves killing monsters in all ways.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
How good are the archers in the Kavodelian militia? Enkidel is probably without peer anywhere but Seir but how does the common to slightly blooded do? 50-100 yard bullseyes? Can they reliably use the tactics that Paebel was trying to teach them?

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Diogines posted:

We don't have time to get to questions at this moment. Here is the post on atlatls also possibly relevant to slings, from the last time it came up:

I could have sworn we had a post where you tried it at some point and if you didn't, you did now, in the last time skip. The results were as above for your Mighty Men, except Uriah who had much the same results as above, but also offered a little more insight saying "I just can't feel it."

You ask him to explain but he says "I can't. With a spear or a rock or a knife or anything it is one solid thing. I... am not sure how to explain it. I can't feel the spear, so I can't aim it."

You don't understand. Uriah says "I can't believe explain it. It is... it is like a color, how do I say a color?" Uriah is unaware you see a bunch he can't "It should work but it won't because it is two things when it should be one thing. If it was only one I could control it, I could aim it. But two things is one too many. That is the closest I can say, I think? That didn't really make any sense did it?"

Unlike the others, he seemed genuinely confused and frustrated that it didn't work. The others simply failed and that was that.

I think this is a further hint at the whole 'function follows form' thing that Ur is based on, but I'm not 100% sure of how

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Uriah is beginning to get woke.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
a tool is an extension of the body

also this is literally true they did brain scans and if you use the same tools enough your brain begins to interpret the feelings in your hands or whatever as if they were nerve signals from parts of your actual bod. It kind of just glosses over and that's how people are able to learn to naturally just use tools like experts.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Diogines posted:

Out of curiosity, how did it fare when Enkidel tried using it?

It seems like normal Blooded People can make a weapon feel like a literal extension of their body, but only if they're actually handling it.

Perhaps some sort of built in limitation, so that they can't stack weapon force multipliers on top of Blooded buffs?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

TK-42-1 posted:

Uriah is beginning to get woke.

I think it's bugging him because it's forcing him to contemplate things that are intuitive and natural for him, and it feels weird. Apparently when Uriah uses a weapon it literally becomes an extension of him, and it doesn't here because it's not one thing.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

I think it's bugging him because it's forcing him to contemplate things that are intuitive and natural for him, and it feels weird. Apparently when Uriah uses a weapon it literally becomes an extension of him, and it doesn't here because it's not one thing.

Exactly. He’s beginning to question the nature of his reality. The others are just like ‘welp. doesn’t work lol’ and gently caress off. He’s the only one that is really paying attention to anything. It’s us rubbing off on him since he’s our best friend. (I assume? We don’t really hear about hanging with Paebel as much anymore)

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Paebel is still your excellent friend, you just don't kill stuff with him often anymore.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Uriah getting to Tudiya levels of power and actually being willing/able to interpret what the hell he thinks is going on would be amazing. This is like, a taste of what could be.

So he intuits how to use the tool, and uses it superhumanly, but the spear is just a spear because he isn't touching it? When he throws the spear, he's throwing it superhumanly, and his super human oomph is more than the super human assist on a normal spear? Something like that? So then the bow and arrow works because we're touching both the bow and the arrow?

Ask Uriah why he thinks a bow and arrow "works" and the atlatl doesn't. Is it because we're touching both the bow and the arrow and using them together?
Actually gently caress it bring the scenario up with Tudiya. Ask if he has any thoughts on atlatl vs bow and arrow and why the former doesn't work while the latter does.

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 30, 2018

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Uriah getting to Tudiya levels of power and actually being willing/able to interpret what the hell he thinks is going on would be amazing. This is like, a taste of what could be.

So he intuits how to use the tool, and uses it superhumanly, but the spear is just a spear because he isn't touching it? When he throws the spear, he's throwing it superhumanly, and his super human oomph is more than the super human assist on a normal spear? Something like that? So then the bow and arrow works because we're touching both the bow and the arrow?

Ask Uriah why he thinks a bow and arrow "works" and the atlatl doesn't. Is it because we're touching both the bow and the arrow and using them together?
Actually gently caress it bring the scenario up with Tudiya. Ask if he has any thoughts on atlatl vs bow and arrow and why the former doesn't work while the latter does.

For that we should make Uriah use the bow, we are clearly a different being from him.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We should let Uriah fire our bow, not just any bow and see how he feels about it and does with it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

This is going to lead to the revelation that "normal" Blooded people have SpearTime or something similar and get to regularly enjoy it's effects while we get in trouble for asking about Arrow Time.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I for one won't be satisfied until our arrows break the sound barrier. :colbert:

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Mr. Nemo posted:

For that we should make Uriah use the bow, we are clearly a different being from him.

Well yes, but even with the difference between us and everyone else, Seir already demonstrates that using bows doesn't seem to have the same problems. Unless it's entirely to do with the shard of bluestuff in our bow.

Do we have an agreement with Chait not to let anyone else use our bow?

Blasphemaster posted:

I for one won't be satisfied until our arrows break the sound barrier. :colbert:

Well, we managed to do it once at least :unsmigghh:

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Blasphemaster posted:

I for one won't be satisfied until our arrows break the sound barrier emit Cherenkov radiation. :colbert: