Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unfortunately a month or two in total extra time wouldn't have changed the outcome. Unless that also somehow changed the rolls.

Poil fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
How late is too late to become the holy Roman emperor? I’m playing as GB in 1605 and considering cosying up to some electors but the current rankings are between -300 and -400 for voting for me.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Why are they rating you at -300 to -400? Relations because of AE?

One thing you could try is vassalizing electors. That's +50, but -50 for all independent electors, so you'll probably need a majority or close to it, depending on if the others vote for the same candidate or not. Being your subject would also almost negate any new AE you get for them.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
You can still progress in your mission tree if you just dismantle the drat thing instead, I believe?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Groke posted:

You can still progress in your mission tree if you just dismantle the drat thing instead, I believe?

You can, but if you're playing as the Angevins it'll lock you out of the Brentry achievement

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I'm thinking about trying the DLC subscription for a month on Steam. Is that the type where you cancel right after subscribing and it lets you keep it for the rest of the month? I don't want to have to remember to cancel before the deadline.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I'm thinking about trying the DLC subscription for a month on Steam. Is that the type where you cancel right after subscribing and it lets you keep it for the rest of the month? I don't want to have to remember to cancel before the deadline.

Yeah, this should work. Careful though, I found I really liked EU4 with the subscription and couldn't go back

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-king-of-kings-recap-1-36-free-qol-features-new-monuments.1602564/

Hot drat, autonomous missionaries and notifications when edicts become unnecessary! More nice QoL changes too

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Magissima posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/europa-universalis-iv-king-of-kings-recap-1-36-free-qol-features-new-monuments.1602564/

Hot drat, autonomous missionaries and notifications when edicts become unnecessary! More nice QoL changes too

drat, these are some great QoL changes

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

quote:

For those who like to play with Mercenaries in their armies, they now merge units even if they have Mercenaries in the mix (mercs do not merge with other mercs though):

huge, and, fuckin finally

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

This is nice and all but I really want a "Transfer all provinces to war leader automatically" option when the AI pulls me into a war and my vassals capture stuff while I drill my armies.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

QoL improvements: :perfect:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The sieze land notification is perfect

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hopefully the seize land notification pops up based on timer, or has some filter options.

Don't want it not showing up just because there's a rebel army hanging out somewhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Now where's the notification for being able to reduce autonomy. I need to press the summon rebels button on cooldown

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The pie chart for religion by dev is situational, but really nice when you're trying to rebel-convert. No longer needing to load up the save in an external tool to tell how far you're away from 50% dev is quite nice... once a playthrough, on some playthroughs, but still, nice.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.
yea these are all pretty great

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Staltran posted:

Why are they rating you at -300 to -400? Relations because of AE?

One thing you could try is vassalizing electors. That's +50, but -50 for all independent electors, so you'll probably need a majority or close to it, depending on if the others vote for the same candidate or not. Being your subject would also almost negate any new AE you get for them.

Yeah I wasn’t able to do it because Austrian diplo rep was too high. Next time I do an England game I should probably go for it earlier or just dismantle the thing.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am disappointed to report that you cannot make Forts free. Just.... insanely cheap.

This run was a ton of fun. I usually have not tried the more challenging / small starts but getting this started only required one restart before I was able to take off. In addition to The 52 Garhs I also got Sikh Pun (by forming Punjab after taking that screenshot. I love playing in India.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 20, 2023

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

And the ai will find the loophole around all of them :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Detheros posted:

I'm building a fort in literally every province because uuuugghh. I wish I had another achievement to go for. I slowed down my conquest around 1600 (its 1634) once I knew getting Quantity for the last policy I needed for free* forts was on the horizon and the alliance chains were getting ridiculous, but I'm #1 Great Power with insane manpower recovery and some strong march vassals. But this is where the game gets more tedious.

I forgot to include The Math:

edit: I ended up slowing down my conquest when first got to the coast right before 1600. Coincidence? I think its time for Switzerlake.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 20, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Detheros posted:

vassals and overlords not sharing fort ZoCs is so hosed up

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm building a fort in literally every province because uuuugghh. I wish I had another achievement to go for. I slowed down my conquest around 1600 (its 1634) once I knew getting Quantity for the last policy I needed for free* forts was on the horizon and the alliance chains were getting ridiculous, but I'm #1 Great Power with insane manpower recovery and some strong march vassals. But this is where the game gets more tedious.

I forgot to include The Math:

edit: I ended up slowing down my conquest when first got to the coast right before 1600. Coincidence? I think its time for Switzerlake.

I thought about doing something like this for attrition for enemies but then I found out that AI attrition is capped :sigh:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CommonShore posted:

I thought about doing something like this for attrition for enemies but then I found out that AI attrition is capped :sigh:
It is capped but you can increase the cap, and it's still a lot. It's especially ridiculous if you increase your garrison sizes a ton because it means they need more men to siege you. Look at all these modifiers you can get to garrison size:
+33% Defensive ideas
+25% Bolstered Defense Act (Infra + Def)
+15% The Garrison System policy (Inno + Quant)
+25% Malbork Castle monument
+20% Defensive Stance gov reform
+20% misc national ideas (e.g. Rothenburg)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

It is capped but you can increase the cap, and it's still a lot. It's especially ridiculous if you increase your garrison sizes a ton because it means they need more men to siege you. Look at all these modifiers you can get to garrison size:
+33% Defensive ideas
+25% Bolstered Defense Act (Infra + Def)
+15% The Garrison System policy (Inno + Quant)
+25% Malbork Castle monument
+20% Defensive Stance gov reform
+20% misc national ideas (e.g. Rothenburg)

This could be a fun thing to do. Might be an interesting strategy for a country like Finland which has attrition bonuses in its national ideas, or Switzerland, with those stupid defensive bonuses.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Thought about doing a Korea or Japan game but haven't touched Korea before and haven't touched Japan since before the isolationist mechanics were put in. Any advice? Think I'm gonna do Korea. Expand into Manchuria and then try for Japan? Take a strike at Ming when the mandate is low or let them exist in peace for a while while I get stronger?

edit: Tried reading the EU4 wiki but the guide for Korea hasn't been updated since 1.3 so is missing things like Sinocizing the culture so your empire can accept Chinese cultures

edit 2: I should mention I haven't really played in a year(?) so I'm unsure as to what idea groups are good now. What idea groups are good now? Are the three new ones any good? Was thinking of starting exploration/expansion so I can snipe Colonialism from the Europeans and grab the west coast of the Americas while spreading throughout the Oceania region.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2023

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

TTBF posted:

Thought about doing a Korea or Japan game but haven't touched Korea before and haven't touched Japan since before the isolationist mechanics were put in. Any advice? Think I'm gonna do Korea. Expand into Manchuria and then try for Japan? Take a strike at Ming when the mandate is low or let them exist in peace for a while while I get stronger?

edit: Tried reading the EU4 wiki but the guide for Korea hasn't been updated since 1.3 so is missing things like Sinocizing the culture so your empire can accept Chinese cultures

edit 2: I should mention I haven't really played in a year(?) so I'm unsure as to what idea groups are good now. What idea groups are good now? Are the three new ones any good? Was thinking of starting exploration/expansion so I can snipe Colonialism from the Europeans and grab the west coast of the Americas while spreading throughout the Oceania region.

FYI Korea is about to get slightly nerfed with the patch that's coming out next week. That being said, they still are secretly the best tag in East Asia.
As Korea, you'll have crazy insane admin points. I would recommend going humanist first or maybe second for the Confucian harmonization bonus. I think taking humanist also gives you a holy war equivalent CB as a Confucian country?
You'll definitely want to crush the Manchuria first.
Personally, I would focus on exploding Ming over invading Japan. Once you become Emperor of China, you'll be able to add Korean culture to the Chinese tech group to get all of China's cultures accepted for free. China also has a lot of great monuments for Confucianism.
To defeat Japan, use your superior navy to blockade and invade Kyushu and Shikoku. As long as you use a conquest CB with a province on one of those two islands you can just turtle there until warscore ticks high enough where you can take them without having to defeat Japan's main armies. If you want to take more land, you can selectively let one army in at a time while still maintaining numerical superiority to crush them.

aqu fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Nov 4, 2023

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

aqu posted:

FYI Korea is about to get slightly nerfed with the patch that's coming out next week. That being said, they still are secretly the best tag in East Asia.
As Korea, you'll have crazy insane admin points. I would recommend going humanist first or maybe second for the Confucian harmonization bonus. I think taking humanist also gives you a holy war equivalent CB as a Confucian country?
You'll definitely want to crush the Manchuria first.
Personally, I would exploding Ming over invading Japan. Once you become Emperor of China, you'll be able to add Korean culture to the Chinese tech group to get all of China's cultures accepted for free. China also has a lot of great monuments for Confucianism.
To defeat Japan, use your superior navy to blockade and invade Kyushu and Shikoku. As long as you use a conquest CB with a province on one of those two islands you can just turtle there until warscore ticks high enough where you can take them without having to defeat Japan's main armies. If you want to take more land, you can selectively let one army in at a time while still maintaining numerical superiority to crush them.
Korea is actually pretty easy. Beating Japan is as simple as building a bigger navy: you can tear off Kyushu and Shikoku(not all at once...probably) with little effort and then you're probably strong enough to conquer the rest at your leisure. Japan also often falls behind on tech due to being relatively isolated, which just makes it easier.

The Manchus are a little trickier, especially early on: they'll generally beat your army on flat ground unless you have numbers on your side, and they can often end up allied with other steppe hordes, but conversely you can slaughter them in your starting mountain fort province, so just be cautious until you've won some battles. Your first war against Jianzhou is probably the only Manchu war you'll fight without a significant advantage in numbers and tech, so it's all downhill from there. You can easily wind up sitting on most or all of Manchuria and/or Japan by the time the Mingsplosion happens, and if it somehow doesn't, well...you can definitely give them a push. You can play colonizer if you want, even, though it's probably best to focus on cleaning up Ming chunks.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Watched a few videos and it seems they've tinkered with Korea quite a bit in the last year. Some 6 month old videos were out of date on mechanics. They're gonna be messing with them again, huh?

I've changed my mind from going exploration/expansion to going infrastructure/aristocratic (for the dev discount) and then humanist. Not sure on ideas after that. I'll do inward perfection, dev the poo poo out of Korea, and then switch to expansion when it's time to blow up Ming. With my cheaper dev costs I can dev to reduce devastation on any land I get from them. After I get all of China, Japan, and Manchuria I'm gonna go for the achievement to have all Eastern religious lands as Korea. Then I'll expand into Oceania and elsewhere as needed until I've harmonized 7 religions for that achievement as well.

I tried a test run (I'm waiting for the new DLC to drop and get hotfixed before starting the real run) but Oirat got huge and invaded Ming during its death throes, killed all their rebels, and then took the land immediately bordering me. I did expand a bit with Inward Perfection - Ming just gave me a province because I asked nicely, and Jianzhou invaded me because I forgot to build up my army. It took a while to beat them and their allies but I snagged two provinces out of it. Probably should have taken money and war reps and just called it quits asap.

I think I'll try to take over Emperor after grabbing enough land. I've never been Emperor of China before. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Edit: Oh right, one problem I was having was every video I saw kept saying "When it's getting ready to declare on Ming then stop making tributary payments and they'll get mad and cancel tributary status" but I refused for a straight decade and they never did.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 4, 2023

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Confucian Humanism is amazing and broken as poo poo.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Declared war on "Great" Britain for one of the spice islands and ended up having to fight off an absurd amount of Austrians marching in from the west across the Gobi desert. Sigh.

Still managed to win. Not worth it if you consider the value of the island but if you consider how much prettier the borders got hundreds of thousands more could have been sacrificed.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TTBF posted:

Watched a few videos and it seems they've tinkered with Korea quite a bit in the last year. Some 6 month old videos were out of date on mechanics. They're gonna be messing with them again, huh?

I've changed my mind from going exploration/expansion to going infrastructure/aristocratic (for the dev discount) and then humanist. Not sure on ideas after that. I'll do inward perfection, dev the poo poo out of Korea, and then switch to expansion when it's time to blow up Ming. With my cheaper dev costs I can dev to reduce devastation on any land I get from them. After I get all of China, Japan, and Manchuria I'm gonna go for the achievement to have all Eastern religious lands as Korea. Then I'll expand into Oceania and elsewhere as needed until I've harmonized 7 religions for that achievement as well.

I tried a test run (I'm waiting for the new DLC to drop and get hotfixed before starting the real run) but Oirat got huge and invaded Ming during its death throes, killed all their rebels, and then took the land immediately bordering me. I did expand a bit with Inward Perfection - Ming just gave me a province because I asked nicely, and Jianzhou invaded me because I forgot to build up my army. It took a while to beat them and their allies but I snagged two provinces out of it. Probably should have taken money and war reps and just called it quits asap.

I think I'll try to take over Emperor after grabbing enough land. I've never been Emperor of China before. Is there anything I should watch out for?

Edit: Oh right, one problem I was having was every video I saw kept saying "When it's getting ready to declare on Ming then stop making tributary payments and they'll get mad and cancel tributary status" but I refused for a straight decade and they never did.

You can actually be pretty aggressive with Korea - whenever Ming hits one of its mandate reforms or crises it drops to 0 mandate and its soldiers become incapable of winning battles, at that point even if they've got the numerical advantage you can still clown them.

Fighting the Manchu tribes is also pretty straightforward, the trick with the initial war with Jianzou is that you might need to wait until you're one mil tech ahead, and bait them onto the Fort in North Korea and keep killing their armies there as needed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Korea is probably the strongest east nation. AI Korea will hit like 600 dev without expanding.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
So the new patch is live. Hmm... Oman into Ibadi Persia, perhaps? Haven't completed Third Way yet...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I only just bought Lions of the North and Domination so I guess it's Livonian Order for me. That patch has so much UI stuff I couldn't play before its release, and in general the changelog looks good, Tinto really works on stability and general improvements before adding stuff.

The Livonian Order setup is so complex it feels like I'm playing Anbennar. Also, branching missions and tooltips explaining them cover the whole screen.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

ilitarist posted:

I only just bought Lions of the North and Domination so I guess it's Livonian Order for me. That patch has so much UI stuff I couldn't play before its release, and in general the changelog looks good, Tinto really works on stability and general improvements before adding stuff.

The Livonian Order setup is so complex it feels like I'm playing Anbennar. Also, branching missions and tooltips explaining them cover the whole screen.

Funny, I had the exact same idea.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

ilitarist posted:

I only just bought Lions of the North and Domination so I guess it's Livonian Order for me.

Oh, and if you haven't done a Teutonic Order -> Holy Horde run I would recommend that. It's both hilarious and ridiculous once you get going.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Groke posted:

Oh, and if you haven't done a Teutonic Order -> Holy Horde run I would recommend that. It's both hilarious and ridiculous once you get going.

My first ever MP game has me doing that - my friend is playing Austria/Emperor - we're up to like 1480 and I've just smashed Moscow and we're turning our attention toward the Ottomans now. I hope that the patch doesn't break the save game. If it does we might restart something like Mamluks/Timurids to try the new content.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Last time I did teutonic order I went for Prussia, and found out much too late about the -50% government capacity malus prussia has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CommonShore posted:

My first ever MP game has me doing that - my friend is playing Austria/Emperor - we're up to like 1480 and I've just smashed Moscow and we're turning our attention toward the Ottomans now. I hope that the patch doesn't break the save game. If it does we might restart something like Mamluks/Timurids to try the new content.
You can always go back to a previous version via the steam options. I have a good Kandy run I started this weekend going and definitely want to finish Kotton Kandy and Buddhists Strike Back now that I got this start moving.