Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Teslabjorn has a video in the Nissan Ariya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7IMAeWorR4

It's like 50 minutes so I haven't watched all of it but could be relevant if anyone wants that sort of CUV thingy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Teslabjorn has a video in the Nissan Ariya: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7IMAeWorR4

It's like 50 minutes so I haven't watched all of it but could be relevant if anyone wants that sort of CUV thingy

I'm on the equivalent of a 56k modem, if anyone watches this could you please summarize?

Orty
May 14, 2007

Still watching through it but as someone with a reservation in for one I like what I have heard so far. The one he is driving is the lowest trim, small battery FWD. He has no complaints on the comfort / noise / drive. Holding off "approval" till further testing but seems to be impressed. Only thing seems to be the slight ramp up delay that I believe the ID.4 has as well when you mash the accelerator from a stop.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You should take a hint and gently caress off, idiot.

Shut up loser.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Bum the Sad posted:

Shut up loser.

*putting electrical tape over each of Bum the Sad’s posts (ie putting his stupid rear end on Ignore)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Bum the Sad posted:

Back from being banned for posting about DRIVING UNSAFELY!!!!! Gotta love pathetic new SA concern posting.

If you cant take the hint that AI is also about being able to control a car safely, then consider this a forum ban. Get out and stay out

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
I put down a deposit on a Kia EV6 AWD Wind w/ tech package yesterday. I wanted a GT-Line and fell in love with the First Edition they had on the lot, but it was a gross yellow color. The dealer told me they had a Wind coming in with the specs I really wanted, so I jumped on it.

I'm gonna miss the HUD and sunroof, but all the dealers I've talked to told me that the car will likely be entirely unavailable nationwide within a few weeks and Hyundai/Kia is indicating that MY23 likely won't come out until most of the way through 2023.

Got it for MSRP and free installation of a trailer hitch. Trading in my BMW m235i and the wife's gas guzzling van on it. Super loving pumped. Being able to freely switch between 300 mile eco mode and 4.6s 0-60 sport mode is nice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SchrodingersCat posted:

all the dealers I've talked to told me that the car will likely be entirely unavailable nationwide within a few weeks and Hyundai/Kia is indicating that MY23 likely won't come out until most of the way through 2023.

seems like BS

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

I heard it from like 15 different Hyundai/Kia dealers in four states, so it's got some legs. All 15 told me they had, at most, 1 or 2 EV allocations left and most said they were flat out not getting any more.

I've been calling dealers for two weeks looking for EVs, and they are either ridiculously over MSRP or completely OOS. I feel super lucky to get a decently equipped EV6 from a dealership within five minutes of my house that I didn't even know they were getting. It doesn't help that I live in Michigan and EVs are looked at like the devil here.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bum the Sad posted:

Back from being banned for posting about DRIVING UNSAFELY!!!!! Gotta love pathetic new SA concern posting.

Anyway I just keep mine as fan only. I feel like in the Texas 100 degree heat I would just be putting tons of wear and tear on the compressor running it 10 hours a day.

Weren't you the dude bragging about browsing your phone all the time while driving? Please stop doing that before you get someone killed. Please please please don't be a distracted driver, even if you are using some kind of driver assist it's still a really bad idea

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What’s up with the EV6 side mirrors lookin like an old lady’s horn-rimmed glasses

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MSRP is a good deal right now regardless but what are they saying? That Hyundai is just not going to be able to make any EV6s for nearly a year?

Like I'd be willing to wager a fairly large sum that the EV6 will not become "entirely unavailable nationwide within a few weeks" and that the MY23 will come out well before June of 2023.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

bird with big dick posted:

MSRP is a good deal right now regardless but what are they saying? That Hyundai is just going to be able to make any EV6s for nearly a year?

Like I'd be willing to wager a fairly large sum that the EV6 will not become "entirely unavailable nationwide within a few weeks" and that the MY23 will come out well before June of 2023.

Not that late, some of the dealers were saying March 2023. They were unanimous that the number of Ioniq 5/EV6s being sent to dealers is rapidly decreasing and that they are being told 2022 production is ended. The vehicles currently being sent out right now are likely the last for the model year.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

We'll see I guess but I'd be far more inclined to believe that dealerships are just regionally coordinating the lies that all their salespeople tell rather than they're just going to literally not make any more of their new and most desirable model of car for 8-12 months.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you cant take the hint that AI is also about being able to control a car safely, then consider this a forum ban. Get out and stay out

This poster's rap sheet should be in the rules thread.

E: I mean. If I were a mod. Which is not the case for a good reason, so.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Kia is allocating all EV production to the eSoul :pray:

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

We'll see I guess but I'd be far more inclined to believe that dealerships are just regionally coordinating the lies that all their salespeople tell rather than they're just going to literally not make any more of their new and most desirable model of car for 8-12 months.

"We aren't getting anymore, stop calling us" doesn't seem like the best profit-taking strategy, but you do you, I guess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

“Car dealerships not being honest who has ever heard of such a thing!”

Come back in two months and if there’s not a single EV6 nationwide for sale I’ll happily eat crow.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight
If I were them, I would allocate all resources to the GV60. Margins are probably fatter and they are going to sell every last one they can churn out.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SchrodingersCat posted:

"We aren't getting anymore, stop calling us" doesn't seem like the best profit-taking strategy, but you do you, I guess.

Maybe they just didn’t like you.

Or had identified you as someone that wouldn’t or couldn’t pay the 15,000 dollar ADM they want.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Or had identified you as someone that wouldn’t or couldn’t pay the 15,000 dollar ADM they want.

Sadly, this take lines up with some of the crap we've seen dealers pulling recently.

Who was the goon that had a dealer bait and switch them into a gas car when they showed up for an EV test drive?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

cruft posted:

Sadly, this take lines up with some of the crap we've seen dealers pulling recently.

Who was the goon that had a dealer bait and switch them into a gas car when they showed up for an EV test drive?

It was me, I called a Hyundai dealership for an EV test drive, confirmed the details, and when I got there and gave my name they told me that they knew I was there to test drive an EV but they don't have any on the lot, and never have, but how about a nice hybrid lol

Fart Dumbass
May 31, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

cruft posted:

This poster's rap sheet should be in the rules thread.

E: I mean. If I were a mod. Which is not the case for a good reason, so.

dude's been permabanned twice

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

Kia is allocating all EV production to the eSoul :pray:

If they would make a Venue-sized EV, they would get at least one buy from me.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

SchrodingersCat posted:

But that’s not what they’re saying, unless I misunderstood. The line is “we aren’t getting any more, so if you want one you’d better rush over here and buy the one I’m trying to sell at a hefty markup right away.”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sonic Dude posted:

But that’s not what they’re saying, unless I misunderstood. The line is “we aren’t getting any more, so if you want one you’d better rush over here and buy the one I’m trying to sell at a hefty markup right away.”

Yeah, that was my take. It's getting late in the model year, the new MY will be arriving soon, and the value of this one is going to drop - so they're pushing to sell it now.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It depends on what you mean by "not available" like it's impossible to buy a new Mach-E right now, every 2022 is spoken for, if you're lucky you can get a customer refusal but that's about it. Dealer my orders through called me asking if I'd like a GT for like $100,000 after ADM.

Dealers are also scum bags, and many show Mach E's available, and if you show up to buy one they'll go "we'll order you one"

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Some of that is just how their web inventory works. Most dealers use one out of a few manufacturer approved web templates and part of that includes stock being auto-added as soon as the invoice is assigned. So vehicles in transit or even customer orders will show up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SchrodingersCat posted:

I put down a deposit on a Kia EV6 AWD Wind w/ tech package yesterday. I wanted a GT-Line and fell in love with the First Edition they had on the lot, but it was a gross yellow color. The dealer told me they had a Wind coming in with the specs I really wanted, so I jumped on it.

I'm gonna miss the HUD and sunroof, but all the dealers I've talked to told me that the car will likely be entirely unavailable nationwide within a few weeks and Hyundai/Kia is indicating that MY23 likely won't come out until most of the way through 2023.

Got it for MSRP and free installation of a trailer hitch. Trading in my BMW m235i and the wife's gas guzzling van on it. Super loving pumped. Being able to freely switch between 300 mile eco mode and 4.6s 0-60 sport mode is nice.

That's a hell of a grab in this market, congrats. Honestly the one thing about the GT I would love to have in the Wind is the automated door handles. It's the one thing that's kinda annoying about it. That said, It's a wonderful car and I adore it. What color did you go with?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Valicious posted:

I only wish it had the solar roof. It’s never bad to explore all options either

My EV6 has a 77.4 kWh battery.

My home solar array is 34 panels, each approximately 71" by 40". That works out to about 673 sq ft and weighs, with mounts, a literal ton.
I was told this was fairly large for a residential install. Additionally, I'm lucky enough to have a south facing roof with a pitch right around 45 degrees and no significant shade sources. This is about optimal for home solar.

With perfect sun conditions, over the course of the entire day, my solar array will produce....75 kWh. Not even a 100% charge to my car.

Solar panels on cars are a gimmick, ignore them.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

My Leaf was blinking a charge light while not plugged in today and I was like "ah poo poo I finally broke it" but upon a google it turns out it's just letting me know it's keeping the 12v battery topped up since I haven't driven it for a week, I was like aw thanks little buddy :unsmith:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

SlowBloke posted:

The e-transit website claims 317km for their l2 model, i wonder how big of a hit adding cargo will do tho.

WLTP Results though. EPA range is 126 miles (203 km) on one charge

I could deal with 317km if that was possible with the high roof, extended version. I guess adding a rear fairing (like the one on semi trailers) would add to the efficiency. I'd build it out light as possible of course.

Hoping that GM's BrightDrop isn't crazy expensive.

These guys tried to do what I want to do, abet with an awful Navistar e-Star. The thing they did very well was the solar panels.

Yeah, two additional roof-sized arrays side out from under the one that's always charging, and it tilts.

But they don't directly charge the e-Star's batteries because they couldn't hack the trucks system so that charge a separate bank of batteries and use an inverter to power a L2 charger (the e-Star has no DC charging ability). They managed to extend the (slow) driving range from 100 to 200 miles.

More about this: https://tinyhousetalk.com/route-del-sol-all-electric-solar-powered-motorhome/

I didn't realize that managed to get this from Alaska to the Mexican border. That's impressive.

Oh, I talked about the BrightDrop in a different discussion, here's the details:

GM Brightdrop EV600: 250 Mile range. AWD. 120kW DC fast charging. Speculation is that it has a 178 kWh battery pack. Uses a 20-module Ultium battery, the same system as on the Hummer EV, Cadillac Lyriq, and Chevrolet Silverado EV.

6' 4" headroom and I like the big sliding rear door.

I got access to some specs and it does have two 110v outlets. Also it's much wider inside than a Transit.

83.68” vs. 70.3"

That matters a great deal.

FedEx just got their first delivery.

It holds the Guinness record for the distance traveled by a delivery EV truck as well.

VideoGameVet fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jul 3, 2022

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's a hell of a grab in this market, congrats. Honestly the one thing about the GT I would love to have in the Wind is the automated door handles. It's the one thing that's kinda annoying about it. That said, It's a wonderful car and I adore it. What color did you go with?

It's Steel Gray, I didn't really want to go with black or gray but it's still pretty striking.

I don't care so much about the door handles, but I don't think the HUD+sunroof+handles+ambient lighting is worth a 10k+ premium.

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, that was my take. It's getting late in the model year, the new MY will be arriving soon, and the value of this one is going to drop - so they're pushing to sell it now.

The only dealer who tried to get me on the lot was a VW dealer. The rest said "If that's what you want, we don't have any and we're not getting any". Ford, Hyundai, and Kia were all the same and I know for a fact the MY22 Ford's are out of stock and out of production, although Ford is supposed to reopen ordering for MY23 in mid-August. Edit: There was one Ford dealership near me that had a Mach-E select and was trying to sell it for 60k. Good luck with that.

I didn't even bother with GM because lol, GM.

SchrodingersCat fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jul 3, 2022

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Buy the yellow car you coward!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

SchrodingersCat posted:

MY22 Ford's are out of stock and out of production

Lol this just isn't true. They are sold out in that you can't order one but that doesn't mean they're out of production and it doesn't really mean they're out of stock either because there will always be customers that abandon orders (usually because of dealers being assholes) and those cars will end up for sale on the lot.

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/6-27-22-build-week-thread.17873/page-13

They're being produced right now. And they're not stopping anytime soon.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

Buy the yellow car you coward!

It's not even a good yellow! If it had been like Dodge's Top Banana I would've pushed for it. It's a pale yellow that makes the car look sick and sad.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Unless there is a big refresh or new generation (neither of which applies to the MachE) a typical model year change-over is like a day or two. On Friday you're building 22s, Monday 23s.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SchrodingersCat posted:

It's not even a good yellow! If it had been like Dodge's Top Banana I would've pushed for it. It's a pale yellow that makes the car look sick and sad.

Thats a shame, in the promo images it looked great in yellow. Its extremely rare, the yellow was only an option for first editions and thats it, I can't even find a photo of one, googling it now, that isn't one of the promo image from kia.

You should grab a photo of it if its still there when you go back, I'd love to see a real image of it.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

Thats a shame, in the promo images it looked great in yellow. Its extremely rare, the yellow was only an option for first editions and thats it, I can't even find a photo of one, googling it now, that isn't one of the promo image from kia.

You should grab a photo of it if its still there when you go back, I'd love to see a real image of it.

The salesperson I talked to said it looks great in the sunshine. I then said "We live in Michigan", and he looked sad and went "yeah, we're gonna have that one awhile. No one wants a 1500/month Kia that looks awful every time there's a cloud."

The guy didn't even try to sell me on it, they've just silently accepted that it's going to live there. Apparently the manager's nephew ordered it and backed out when he saw the color. It's sad, because it was a loving blast to drive and if it had an MSRP of 55 instead of 58+ I would've been on it.

According to the salesman the paint on the matte gray first editions will peel off if you drive through a car wash. Just really weird choices on the paint for expensive limited edition vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread, but last October I bought an i3 REx with the 120 Ah battery, and this summer we installed a 9.6 kWh solar system on our house. It feels nice making enough energy to easily offset all of my driving. I'm not sure when we'll buy our next EV, especially since my wife's Bolt just got the new battery, but I'm very excited to check out the EV6/Ioniq 5/GV60 in person. It looks like the Korean companies are doing amazing things, for sure