Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rypakal posted:

I like that we live in a world where we can just be happy that they didn't choose the African Cardinal who literally lobbies for executing homosexuals. It's a "step in the right direction."

Well, no, the step in the right direction is the pope who shifts the rhetoric from 'all gays are bad AND they can't marry' to 'look respect the people at least but yea they still can't marry'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Yeah, this is a church that only pardoned Galileo a couple decades ago. It's not exactly built for speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=?embed?pyPB6bQsZwA

In New Zealand, Chris Auchinvole, Presbyterian Minister and member of parliament speaks at the aforementioned second reading.

Honestly it's pretty neat just for his accent. ANZAC accents are pretty great.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Republican Senator Portman of Ohio supports marriage equality after his son came out.

quote:

"The overriding message of love and compassion that I take from the Bible, and certainly the Golden Rule, and the fact that I believe we are all created by our maker, that has all influenced me in terms of my change on this issue," Portman said, adding that he feels that "in a way, this strengthens the institution of marriage."
:911:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, this is a church that only pardoned Galileo a couple decades ago. It's not exactly built for speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyPB6bQsZwA

In New Zealand, Chris Auchinvole, Presbyterian Minister and member of parliament speaks at the aforementioned second reading.

Honestly it's pretty neat just for his accent. ANZAC accents are pretty great.

He's Scottish :v:

It was a good speech. I liked Lianne Dalziel's just for the :iceburn: against Graham Capill. The /embed in your url is messing up the link by the way.

The change from 80-40 to 77-44 between readings was four National Party MPs changing their votes to No, and Labour MP Raymond Huo who abstained for the first vote, voted Yes in the second.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Ugh. His son came out two years ago.

quote:

While in Congress, he supported a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, voted for the Defense of Marriage Act and voted for a bill prohibiting gay couples in Washington from adopting.

In 2011, 100 University of Michigan law school graduates walked out of Portman's commencement address to protest his position on gay rights after circulating a petition trying to get him removed as the event's speaker.

"The decision to host a graduation speaker who is openly hostile to LGBT rights is deeply unfair to the LGBT students who will be in the audience this year celebrating their graduation," read the petition.

Portman admitted that when the protest occurred, he already knew his own son was gay.

"It was a little odd. Look, and to be honest with you, it didn't affect that decision-making much, because it was, I didn't think it was appropriate," Portman said. "But look, they had their freedom of speech rights to be able to do what they wanted to do."

"But you know, what happened to me is really personal. I mean, I hadn't thought a lot about this issue. Again, my focus has been on other issues over my public policy career," said Portman.

It'd be nice if he thought of the millions of people his votes effected whenever he cast them. Anyway, Ohio now has 2 senators who support gay marriage in a state with a constitutional amendment banning it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Ugh. His son came out two years ago.

It'd be nice if he thought of the millions of people his votes effected whenever he cast them. Anyway, Ohio now has 2 senators who support gay marriage in a state with a constitutional amendment banning it.

I'll take a belated change of heart on gay marriage any day. More and more big-time Republicans coming out in support means that the tide is really shifting in the proper direction.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
He doesn't deserve rapturous applause just for being a decent human being on this but it is pretty significant that a prominent politically active Republican has come out in support- normally they wait until they're out of office so they can get attention for their 'brave stance' without any downsides. Hopefully as we gradually see more Republicans coming out in support we'll see the GOP become not lovely on this issue at least, the smarter ones must know they're fighting a losing battle here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
This probably explains why he wasn't VP nominee, or at least would have eliminated him from the running early in vetting.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

greatn posted:

This probably explains why he wasn't VP nominee, or at least would have eliminated him from the running early in vetting.

I mean, Mitt Romney clearly stated that it was *not* due to this that he was not selected.

Not that Mitt Romney lies, ever.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Offtopic, but do you have more information on this .gif? Did the driver live to tell the tale? :ohdear:

Ontopic, I guess this is good news, the anti-equality position is slowly but surely becoming exclusively recognised as terrible, even by those on the right.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Portman's announcement has to do a decent bit to sway some votes in IL and MN, I mean Portman's had to look at it and decide that this is not going to be enough of an issue within 3 years that he doesn't needs to worry about being primaried by some crazy person over it. I don't expect any real change in GOP levels of support, but it should at least sway those Democrats who are still not keen on it.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Today in "There's always more, and they're always worse":

Portman looks to be only supporting Marriage Equality because his son came out, but can you really say he's as bad as the rest of the Right-Wing in the US?

From the Government is Not God-PAC:

quote:

Portman has conveniently ignored the warnings against the sin of homosexuality in both the Old and New Testaments – and is accepting a behavior that may eventually kill his son from AIDS, other sexually transmitted diseases, or oral cancer. Homosexual sex is ultimately just as destructive as cocaine use. Would Portman suddenly call for the legalization of cocaine if his son had announced that he was a cocaine addict? Would that be 'loving' and 'compassionate'? What sort of core values motivate a U.S. Senator to change his mind about a sexually destructive behavior simply because his son is involved in it? What will happen to Rob Portman’s belief system when he discovers that his son is infected with HIV or throat cancer? A person with a same-sex attraction has a treatable condition. No one is 'born gay' and there is hope for those who want to overcome these destructive behaviors.

While it's good that he's on the right side of history, but it would be better if he'd specifically call out these creatures.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

The irony in him making this statement is that it actually makes the point that, yes, being gay is not in the same category as "sins" like bank robbery. If the son came out as a bank robber, his father's reaction would be different. Because it's not even remotely the same thing as coming out as gay.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

rypakal posted:

I like that we live in a world where we can just be happy that they didn't choose the African Cardinal who literally lobbies for executing homosexuals. It's a "step in the right direction."

There's the ideal situation and there's being realistic. I'm sure we'd all love the ideal situation of a Pope who was cool with gays and would personally bless their union but that isn't realistic. One who isn't about to exterminate them is good.

You can't let yourself get bogged down constantly with the "If it doesn't match the ideal it's not worth being happy for" because the constant depression will basically kill you. If watching gay marriage in the US has taught me anything it's that you take solace in the little victories, because it means things are moving forward at all, instead of stagnating or God forbid, going back.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

OMGVBFLOL posted:

The irony in him making this statement is that it actually makes the point that, yes, being gay is not in the same category as "sins" like bank robbery. If the son came out as a bank robber, his father's reaction would be different. Because it's not even remotely the same thing as coming out as gay.

Pretty sure in Fischer's mind they really are the same.

Bryan J Fischer posted:

Homosexuality gave us Adolph Hitler, and homosexuals in the military gave us the Brown Shirts, the Nazi war machine and 6 million dead Jews.
You might have already known that, but I just wanted to put it out there - this is a man who literally blames gays for the Holocaust.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Because it's not even remotely the same thing as coming out as gay.

Mom, Dad, sit down. There's something I need to talk to you about.

You know how you are always asking why I haven't just found a branch to keep my money in, or how I should look into CDs and investing with a local bank, and its time you knew why. I'm a bank robber. I've tried for years and years to not be a bank robber, but every time I can never see myself just keeping my money with a bank. I need to rob it. I am a bank robber and that's who I am.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

staticman posted:

Today in "There's always more, and they're always worse":

Portman looks to be only supporting Marriage Equality because his son came out, but can you really say he's as bad as the rest of the Right-Wing in the US?

From the Government is Not God-PAC:

While it's good that he's on the right side of history, but it would be better if he'd specifically call out these creatures.
I'm really sorry but I IRL burst out laughing when I read that gay activities can give you oral cancer.

Tim Selaty Jr
May 16, 2011

by Pipski

I'm really sorry but I IRL burst out laughing when I read that gay activities can give you oral cancer.

You see, women sucking dicks is quite different than men sucking dicks because cum works with magnetic field rules

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

I'm just trying to think of a gay activity that would give you oral cancer that doesn't have a straight equivalent that would give women oral cancer and they seem cool with that. Like if every dudes junk just causes cancer through casual contact shouldn't they be advocating for artificial insemination or something?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Red_Mage posted:

You know how you are always asking why I haven't just found a branch to keep my money in, or how I should look into CDs and investing with a local bank, and its time you knew why. I'm a bank robber. I've tried for years and years to not be a bank robber, but every time I can never see myself just keeping my money with a bank. I need to rob it. I am a bank robber and that's who I am.

I'LL HAVE NO FEDERAL FUGITIVES IN THIS HOUSE

That's exactly what your goddamn father would say! Your son can't help but point guns at tellers! It's who he is!

e: Double irony is that he'd probably see these ironic posts as supporting the notion that accepting DEM SINNRS for who they are as absurd :psyduck:

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 16, 2013

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Red_Mage posted:

Are...are you sure? Maybe you just haven't found the right institution. I know a nice little local credit union I could help you join--it's not too high-end, nothing fancy, but they have such excellent interest rates. Let me just give them a call so we can arrange a visit...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, a tribe in Michigan, has officially become the 3rd Native American tribe to recognize and legalize gay marriage.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

cafel posted:

I'm just trying to think of a gay activity that would give you oral cancer that doesn't have a straight equivalent that would give women oral cancer and they seem cool with that. Like if every dudes junk just causes cancer through casual contact shouldn't they be advocating for artificial insemination or something?
Yes, there are still folks who think anything but heterosexual vaginal intercourse for procreation is sinful and deadly. We only have sex and procreate because of Adam and Eve's fall from grace, it's not SUPPOSED to be fun. All those nerve endings were put there by satan to tempt people.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Red_Mage posted:

I mean we all pretty much knew it already. John has been your "roommate" for seven years now, and bank robbers always have a driver. What's important is that you're our son, and we love you.

This just reminds me of the best gay marriage piece I think has ever been done. :allears:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Hillary Clinton publicly backed gay marriage this morning, to no one's surprise.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

cafel posted:

Oral sex with someone who has HPV (which is common) has been associated with the development of throat cancer.

Just more fodder for the "HPV vaccine will create whores" crowd.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Dead Beef posted:

Oral sex with someone who has HPV (which is common) has been associated with the development of throat cancer.

Just more fodder for the "HPV vaccine will create whores" crowd.

This is especially pointless when you consider a CDC study in 2011 found that roughly 90% of heterosexuals have oral sex with opposite-gender partners. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nhsr/nhsr036.pdf

(Also ~40% have anal sex too.)

Not to derail but there really isn't a great reason to oppose wiping out the HPV that can cause cancer.

---

HRC (the person, not the organization) cut an ad for HRC (the organization, not the-- well, also for the person) supporting same-sex marriage. I was under the impression that she had supported this as early as New York's push for legalization a couple years ago; is this apparently the first time she's out-and-out said it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

FlamingLiberal posted:

Hillary Clinton publicly backed gay marriage this morning, to no one's surprise.

"Prerequisite for running for president in 2016," the cynical part of me says.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Prerequisite for running in 2016 isn't cynicism, that's wonderful news. If the issue is dead on the democratic side and you have to be pro gay marriage to compete in a big primary, that's the bees knees.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

That's kinda the wrong way around. I think most Democrats have been for same-sex marriage for years, but it's been a non-starter for national candidates until recently. I don't think anybody can seriously believe that John Kerry actually opposed same-sex marriage in 2004, or that Barack Obama opposed it in 2008, but you had to play the game to get into national office. Now the tide has turned and opposition to same-sex marriage is a dealbreaker for Dems.

It's why Democrats and liberals, while kinda pissed at Obama's hemming and hawing over Prop 8 and more recently the NC referendum, understand that it's the game of politics. Because of our political system, we're not gonna have same-sex marriage through Congress-- not soon, if ever-- and remaining mum wasn't an issue that would lose votes, whereas supporting would have.

The country's changed heavily in the last decade, and Dems can come out of the closet as supporters of equality and not lose votes-- indeed, if they don't, they're a non-starter.

EDIT: I think you'd have to go a ways back to find a presidential candidate that legitimately opposed same-sex marriage in sincerely held beliefs running for the Dems. If I had to guess I'd say Carter-- Mondale doesn't seem like he'd give a poo poo, Dukakis is for it (or at least is now), Clinton was at worst opposed for political reasons, Gore was probably for it-- although it wasn't an issue at the time, so who knows-- and Kerry was almost indisputably for it despite public statements.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 18, 2013

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Teddybear posted:

I think you'd have to go a ways back to find a presidential candidate that legitimately opposed same-sex marriage in sincerely held beliefs running for the Dems. If I had to guess I'd say Carter-- Mondale doesn't seem like he'd give a poo poo, Dukakis is for it (or at least is now), Clinton was at worst opposed for political reasons, Gore was probably for it-- although it wasn't an issue at the time, so who knows-- and Kerry was almost indisputably for it despite public statements.

Don't know if he supported it when he was president, but Carter has come out in support of same-sex marriage since.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Even Obama, I remember a goon posted a while ago how his wife had been to a closed door fundraiser during Obama's original senate campaign in 2004, and someone asked about gay marriage and he said "Of course I'm in favor of gay marriage,(which everyone already knew anyways if you look back on 90's Obama record) but it's not a politically viable position right now"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

New Jersey's Senate panel okayed a bill to ban anti-gay conversion therapy for minors, 7-1. It now goes to their full Senate.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Amused to Death posted:

Even Obama, I remember a goon posted a while ago how his wife had been to a closed door fundraiser during Obama's original senate campaign in 2004, and someone asked about gay marriage and he said "Of course I'm in favor of gay marriage,(which everyone already knew anyways if you look back on 90's Obama record) but it's not a politically viable position right now"

Yeah. Anyone who has thought with any seriousness that the Democrats have been anti-gay since Reagan et al went full evangelical is a bit silly. There has been really lovely laws passed with Democratic support, but that's politics-- DADT and DOMA were compromises, albeit lovely ones, that tried to avert outright bans on gays in the military and a threat of a national ban on any same-sex marriages. I don't really blame Clinton for those passing; the alternative was a shitshow 1996 election, a high risk of a Dole presidency, and worse laws passing.

It's been a pain in the rear end dragging the country towards accepting gay marriage and LGBT rights, but we're getting there in no small part because of the Democratic Party.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also gay marriage support has reached a new nationwide high according to a new Washington Post/ABC News poll, with 58%.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Teddybear posted:

Yeah. Anyone who has thought with any seriousness that the Democrats have been anti-gay since Reagan et al went full evangelical is a bit silly. There has been really lovely laws passed with Democratic support, but that's politics-- DADT and DOMA were compromises, albeit lovely ones, that tried to avert outright bans on gays in the military and a threat of a national ban on any same-sex marriages. I don't really blame Clinton for those passing; the alternative was a shitshow 1996 election, a high risk of a Dole presidency, and worse laws passing.

It's been a pain in the rear end dragging the country towards accepting gay marriage and LGBT rights, but we're getting there in no small part because of the Democratic Party.

Yeah, most of the anti-gay legislation was a specific blowback to Clinton's full-throated (for the time) embrace of gay rights well before the rest of the country. He didn't want DADT: he wanted fullscale integration and only agreed to DADT to prevent Congress from writing the discrimination into law even more firmly. DOMA was thought up as a wedge issue by the Republican party as a prop for Dole's campaign when Hawaii made the tiniest of mutters towards gay marriage, and passed overwhelmingly. A veto would have imperiled his re-election for a mere moral victory. We can debate if Clinton should have made a stand anyway even though it would have dailed, but it's not really debatable that he didn't like the law and didn't want it, but he couldn't actually stop it.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
This is awesome; I'm still in shock at how quick this has moved. 81% support from people 18-29. I am so drat proud of my generation.:allears:

:raise: Cynical? If this is true I'd be loving overjoyed, for multiple reasons.

1) Hillary 2016. :getin:
2) The Republicans are hosed as a party if they choose to oppose gay marriage. Again, 81% support from people 18-29.
3) Public support for gay marriage from a national party is a Very Good Thing.
4) The right will be a white-hot storm of frothing rage, and when they lose it will be GLORIOUS to behold.

This all presumes the Supreme Court doesn't just completely legalize gay marriage come June, which I'm seriously thinking is possible now. No one wants to be on the wrong side of history, and if you really can't see which way the wind's blowing, you must have your head buried in the sand.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

fade5 posted:

This all presumes the Supreme Court doesn't just completely legalize gay marriage come June, which I'm seriously thinking is possible now. No one wants to be on the wrong side of history, and if you really can't see which way the wind's blowing, you must have your head buried in the sand.

A 6-3 decision with Roberts and Kennedy joining the left isn't as looney toons as it was a year or two ago. Earlier someone posted the "argument from the future," where it's fairly clear how this is all gonna shake out in the next few decades, and it would be vastly better for someone's legacy to be on the winning side of this and be viewed as a champion for LGBT rights or as a backwards hick.

In addition to wanting to settle the issue once and for all (and how well did THAT turn out I guess), this kind of legacy argument was part of the rationale in having a unanimous court in Brown v. Board. (Although there was a link somewhere to a hypothetical dissent that Scalia would write in Brown v. Board that was more spot on than I feel comfortable with.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Teddybear posted:

In addition to wanting to settle the issue once and for all (and how well did THAT turn out I guess), this kind of legacy argument was part of the rationale in having a unanimous court in Brown v. Board. (Although there was a link somewhere to a hypothetical dissent that Scalia would write in Brown v. Board that was more spot on than I feel comfortable with.)

There is a remarkably high chance that if he is not in the majority in the Prop 8 case, Scalia's dissent will exist, and it will be angry and bitter and downright spiteful. That said, the DOMA case is an entirely different animal, and near as I can tell all bets are off as to how that goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Red_Mage posted:

There is a remarkably high chance that if he is not in the majority in the Prop 8 case, Scalia's dissent will exist, and it will be angry and bitter and downright spiteful. That said, the DOMA case is an entirely different animal, and near as I can tell all bets are off as to how that goes down.

I almost don't care how the opinion comes out as much as I want Scalia to write a minority dissent because it will be *glorious*.

• Locked thread