Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

McCracAttack posted:

My only complaint is his habit of working anchovies into what would otherwise be a good vegetarian dish. Maybe you could sub it with seaweed or something. I dunno.

Soy sauce and nutritional yeast or something? Anchovies are mostly salty and savoury, and I believe usually melt away if you add them early? Might need something to replace the salt and umami, or something with a good texture (minced mushrooms?) if the ‘chovies were added later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

piratepilates posted:

Soy sauce and nutritional yeast or something? Anchovies are mostly salty and savoury, and I believe usually melt away if you add them early? Might need something to replace the salt and umami, or something with a good texture (minced mushrooms?) if the ‘chovies were added later.

Miso or doenjang or any other fermented bean paste is probably going to be a pretty solid substitute, in terms of being extremely salty/funky/umami but will melt away and be unnoticed in the finished dish.

AShamefulDisplay
Jun 30, 2013

fknlo posted:

They were the only way I could get Gyros without driving for 20+ minutes for like a year and a half after moving to the town I'm in.

Seriously. There's a nice Mediterranean grocer in my city but it's on the other rear end end of town. Meanwhile Arby's is right next to my work place.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Them boxes are gonna be expeeeensive.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

A salt cellar like that is on my ever-expanding list of woodworking projects. The only thing I don't have confidence in my ability to do is the hinge.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

I just open the top of the cardboard salt box and leave it out like some kind of barbarian

also I can't find diamond crystal kosher locally anymore since the 'roni. I got some store brand kosher and it's big bull poo poo!!!!!!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I keep my kosher salt in a little glass prep bowl that came with a deli-container style lid, but it's not ideal and i'd like my prep bowl back.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Flunky posted:

also I can't find diamond crystal kosher locally anymore since the 'roni.

That don't make no sense.

I have one of those flippy-toppy metal and glass things like Alton Brown would use on Good Eats.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kosher salt is literally impossible to find here in the UK, I end up bringing it back from the US.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the ideal salt cellar is a plastic 8oz deli container

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

eke out posted:

the ideal salt cellar is a plastic 8oz deli container

this is what I do and what I was just about to post :shrug:

no need to make things complicated, bring deli containers in to your life.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

piratepilates posted:

this is what I do and what I was just about to post :shrug:

no need to make things complicated, bring deli containers in to your life.

kenji and brad should collaborate on a version of my most-used kitchen essential:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

eke out posted:

kenji and brad should collaborate on a version of my most-used kitchen essential:

Everyone that lives within driving distance of Atlanta has towers of these in their kitchen but they're full of eight year old bay leaves and cumin seeds thanks to the Dekalb Farmers Market.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 18, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The_Doctor posted:

Kosher salt is literally impossible to find here in the UK, I end up bringing it back from the US.

It's just coarse salt. I'm sure I've seen Gordon Ramsay use it in his UK shows

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Yeah, you can get the blue Saxa 'tubes' or whatever you'd call them in basically every tesco

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

McCracAttack posted:

Everyone that lives within driving distance of Atlanta has towers of these in their kitchen but they're full of eight year old bay leaves and cumin seeds thanks to the Dekalb Farmers Market.

gently caress you you don’t know me. Also I swear to god I feel like I use bay leaves all the time

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I'm still not convinced bay leaves aren't a scam. Do they really do anything? Do they?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

piratepilates posted:

I'm still not convinced bay leaves aren't a scam. Do they really do anything? Do they?

They're for good luck

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

piratepilates posted:

At the end of the day they make your dish look home cooked, and that’s something all celebrity chefs strive to do and so should you

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
"Bay leaves don't do anything" is a dumb meme. Get good bay leaves* and huff the bag.

* Penzey's is doing free shipping at $28 this weekend, plus their usual other sales

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I use a "salt pig" that we got as a wedding gift and it's pretty convenient

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Veskit posted:

At the end of the day they make your dish look home cooked, and that’s something all celebrity chefs strive to do and so should you

Now that I can get on board with!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

piratepilates posted:

They get people to tweet at Chipotle about finding a leaf in their burrito.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Colonel Whitey posted:

I use a "salt pig" that we got as a wedding gift and it's pretty convenient

That's a rather rude thing to call your wife

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Anne Whateley posted:

"Bay leaves don't do anything" is a dumb meme. Get good bay leaves* and huff the bag.

:emptyquote:

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

The Glumslinger posted:

That's a rather rude thing to call your wife

I'd prefer if you didn't kinkshame us

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Anne Whateley posted:

Well yeah, but when used in cooking it's like a couple of them in a large pot of other ingredients, and they're usually removed as soon as possible.

Unless you're literally just boiling water or making rice with bay leaves, I'm firmly in the "it don't do poo poo" camp. If it weren't a wasteful exercise, someone could prove it with a blind taste test. Which just means a YouTuber is going to do it any second.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

no blind taste test but Kenji did a thing about them a while ago and says they actually are useful, even if you probably can't pick the flavor out of a long stew/braise on its own.

also, surprisingly, says you probably shouldn't buy fresh bay leaves

eke out fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 18, 2020

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
There's an asterisk on that fresh/dry. I grew up with fresh bay leaves from a tree in the yard and I love the flavor. A few leaves go into every bechamel, pasta sauce, stew or even rice puddings and custards.

Fresh leaves stored in the freezer are the way to go. Kenji's * was about the variety. You want the wide leaf, wrinkly edges med variety, not the narrow California bay that is basically eucalyptus. I bought those by mistake once and threw the lot out.

Yes

Yes

:barf:

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

There's an asterisk on that fresh/dry. I grew up with fresh bay leaves from a tree in the yard and I love the flavor. A few leaves go into every bechamel, pasta sauce, stew or even rice puddings and custards.

Fresh leaves stored in the freezer are the way to go. Kenji's * was about the variety. You want the wide leaf, wrinkly edges med variety, not the narrow California bay that is basically eucalyptus. I bought those by mistake once and threw the lot out.

Yes

Yes

:barf:

And once again, Kenji knows best.

The pack I have right now (which I do use every time I make rice, I should say) is a dried out form of the bottom one, smooth sides and flat. I'm about to head out to the store anyway, so I'll take a look for the good kinds and see if it makes a difference.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I'm going to go ahead and retract this for now. I went to the store and found some fresh bay leaves that have crinkley sides, and are as best as I can tell real bay laurel leaves (Laurus nobilis). I have tested this before, but come to think of it, I've always tested it with the old dried No Name (literally that brand) brand bay leaves, which look more like the long, smooth, flat California bay leaves (Umbellularia californica) than they do these fresh bay laurel leaves (although some of the dried ones have crinkley sides like picture number 1, but it's hard to tell if they were like that before drying, or crinkley because of the drying process).

Anyway I'll have to see with these fresh real bay laurel leaves that I'm keeping in the freezer, and then pass judgement on bay leaves as a whole. There's no need for me to slander the name of bay leaves by only using ancient, dried, bargain bin bay leaves.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT
The Vast Bay Leaf Conspiracy

quote:

Maybe you’ve had this experience: You throw a bay leaf into a broth, and it doesn’t do anything. Then you throw the rest of the bay leaves you bought into the broth, too, because you only bought them for this, and you’ll be damned if you don’t taste a bay leaf, and they don’t do anything, either. What could be the cause of this? I’ll tell you. Bay leaves are bullshit.

What does a bay leaf taste like? Nothing. What does a bay leaf smell like? Nothing. What does a bay leaf look like? A leaf. How does a bay leaf behave? It behaves as a leaf would, if you took a leaf from the tree outside of your apartment building and put it into your soup. People say, “Boil a bay leaf in some water and then taste the water if you want to know what a bay leaf tastes like.”

No.

In search of confirmation, as well as freedom to ignore the bay leaf portion of future recipes I might encounter, I reached out to a number of chefs and asked them, “Are bay leaves bullshit?”

Chef Anna Klinger, of Park Slope’s Al Di La, said: “I like them and use quite a bit.”

Anna Klinger and I are not technically friends so I do not take this lie personally, and I appreciate the way she did not explicitly state on record that bay leaves are not bullshit. Sneaky.

Chef Matty Bennett, of the Lower East Side’s The Lucky Bee, said: “People don’t realize the flavour they add. Stale bay leaves that sit in your cupboard for months aren’t gonna help you at all. If you can find fresh bay leaves that’s the way to go!”

Huh. Fresh bay leaves are the way to go where, I wonder. An empty place? A concrete room that you thought was empty until you notice a couple sharp pieces of scrap metal in the corner and then you think, wait a second — what kind of room is this?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

McCracAttack posted:

My only complaint is his habit of working anchovies into what would otherwise be a good vegetarian dish. Maybe you could sub it with seaweed or something. I dunno.

Late to this discussion, but go to your closest Asian grocery store and get some of this stuff. We use it in all of our veg* dishes. It doesn't taste EXACTLY like fish sauce, but it brings a very similar funk/saltiness. Any recipe where fish sauce is called for, but the dish doesn't actually use enough to taste fishy, this stuff is pretty much indistinguishable.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 18, 2020

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Late to this discussion, but go to your closest Asian grocery store and get some of this stuff. We use it in all of our veg* dishes. It doesn't taste EXACTLY like fish sauce, but it brings a very similar funk/saltiness. Any recipe where fish sauce is called for, but the dish doesn't actually use enough to taste fishy, this stuff is pretty much indistinguishable.

I appreciate the recommendation. Didn't realize pineapple based vegetarian fish sauce was a thing.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
The Motz is coming back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcHX4SHJDMo

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Yes, please. He makes me very hungry for burgs.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's the best (and only?) burger scholar in the world and his shows are really good. I like that other Alvin guy but watching him kill himself eating burgers was revolting.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

He's the best (and only?) burger scholar in the world and his shows are really good. I like that other Alvin guy but watching him kill himself eating burgers was revolting.

He just opened up a burger shop in LA Chinatown and they look pretty amazing. But yeah, he def needs to tone down the burger eating.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Never trust a skinny chef. :colbert:

Motz is great. I think his "crew" is just literally his wife and daughter? Very wholesome content A++

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Looks like Sohla's got a new gig: https://deadline.com/2020/09/sohla-...ish-1234582670/