Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

McCracAttack posted:

My earliest PS1 memory was realizing it plugged into the wall with what looked like a lamp cord so I assumed it was cheap junk. Yet another case where Japanese electronics trying to be sleek and compact backfires with a ‘Merican consumer.

:911:

Oh, yeah. When we got a N64 I noticed the AC adaptor didn't have an earth pin so I asked my dad if that meant it was less powerful than our PS1. Man I was a dumb kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

40-Degree Day posted:

Is there a way to repair a button contact in an SNES controller beyond cleaning it with 91% alcohol? I bought an ASCIIpad from a local shop and the down directional button doesn't work. It looks like the black material on the contact has rubbed off over the years. Anything I can do? Otherwise I'm just gonna return it.

azurite posted:

For Genesis controllers at least, people sell replacement membranes/pads, but getting a set would probably cost as much as the controller. If I were you, I'd return it.

contacts cost a few dollars at most, especially for the more widely available SNES :confused:

https://console5.com/store/snes-replacement-controller-silicone-rubber-carbon-dot-pads.html

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
See an email from Analogue, think it's finally a pre-order for the Pocket. Nope, some announcement of a special edition Mega SG :smith:

Zophar posted:

I'm surprised we aren't talking about the 25th anniversary of the PS1. What are your PS1 memories or favorites?

I had a Saturn first for a couple years and didn't get a PS1 until 1998. Because the Saturn had internal memory powered by a battery under the I/O port I assumed the PS1 did too, so when I got one for Christmas I didn't get a memory card for several months. I played Resident Evil 2 and Metal Gear Solid from beginning to end in a single sitting, each at least once.

When I think of PS1, the game and most vivid memory that comes to mind is playing Twisted Metal. I also remember my cousin had Kings Field and I wish I played it at the time, because now it seems kind of too slow for me to enjoy. I know I didn't buy a ton of PS1 games, but probably the system I rented the most games for.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I didn’t get a PlayStation until the PSone came out, but I do remember playing at friend’s houses and thinking how much more “adult” the games felt compared to my N64. MGS and Resident Evil blew my mind, so much so that I ended up spending way too much money on the N64 port of RE2.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Caitlin posted:

contacts cost a few dollars at most, especially for the more widely available SNES :confused:

https://console5.com/store/snes-replacement-controller-silicone-rubber-carbon-dot-pads.html

Good call. Nevermind, OP.

I bought a big ol bag of them from someone on eBay for probably around $15-20 a few years back. That's the frame of reference I was coming from.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

azurite posted:

Good call. Nevermind, OP.

I bought a big ol bag of them from someone on eBay for probably around $15-20 a few years back. That's the frame of reference I was coming from.

Yeah like, as long as you actually like whatever style of controller it is that is having responsiveness issues it's generally worth it to spend a few dollars on replacement contacts, it's not like you have to do it super often anyway.

I can't remember if they require the 3.5mm security bit to open the controllers or not though. So you may also need that. Then again again, probably not if it's the ASCII version anyway, so just open it to make sure the contacts look roughly the same. Probably do.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
MiSTer can do Sega CD now:

https://twitter.com/SmokeMonsterTWI/status/1202308756991688706

Also my Super SD System 3 has a tracking number. :hellyeah:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, yeah. When we got a N64 I noticed the AC adaptor didn't have an earth pin so I asked my dad if that meant it was less powerful than our PS1. Man I was a dumb kid.

I can beat that.

When we got our Genesis, i saw the words "16 bit" and, after counting the literal individual pieces in the box, reported to my older brother that we were missing at least 5 bits.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I didn't care about the PS1 launch because I was a teen trying to fit in and be one of the cool kids and video games were for nerds. Little did they know I still enjoyed my Nintendo platforms occasionally and bought a few SNES games with PT job money (Chrono Trigger, Yoshi's Island, etc.). Anyway, a couple years later (97) I befriended a nerd and he'd bring over his PS1 while he'd crash at my house on the weekends when I had no parental supervision (single mom, out-of-town). We'd get high and play the following:

FF7, FFT, SotN, RE:DC, Legacy of Kain, Tekken 2, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Vandal Hearts, Wild Arms, probably some others I'm forgetting.

I didn't care much for the last four (MKT was neat I guess) but the rest of them re-ignited my love of gaming, and as the above poster said, they were ok to publicly enjoy because they were more mature than Nintendo stuff. Eventually I acquired my own PS1 and had a rather large library by the time I gave up consoles for PC stuff.

e: I still have a slim PS2 that I bought in 2004 and barely played before I got swept up into WoW. If I had a proper CRT TV w/ component inputs and could get it modded I'd probably play it a lot now. I missed out on a ton of great PS2 games.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 4, 2019

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Caitlin posted:

I was unclear in my post. I was talking about the black circle part on the pcb that the rubber pad touches. Would a replacement rubber pad help it? The black part on the pcb is all worn down.

ssergE
Sep 10, 2001

No longer a stupid baby. Now a stupid teenager.
Anyone in Bahrain https://www.reddit.com/r/arcade/comments/e5w59v/local_arcade_place_is_shutting_down_i_took/?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

40-Degree Day posted:

I was unclear in my post. I was talking about the black circle part on the pcb that the rubber pad touches. Would a replacement rubber pad help it? The black part on the pcb is all worn down.

It's just some conductive material (think graphite). I'm sure yohu can buy tubs of the stuff, but you just need something that lets the conductive pad on the underside of the buttons bridge the traces.

But yeah, probably easier to just return it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Wait how long has the OSSC thing been around for? Last time I had time for retro games you had to import something from japan to play on a flatscreen

I started going through my stuff because I was in the mood to play some GBA: but on a big screen and realised I no longer have a TV that can do the analog connectors, so I’m boned

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

About three years, and it's about the best readily available solution right now.

If you're looking for something cheaper but has similar features, check out the Retrotink.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Big differences are the Retrotink takes Component and S-Svideo along with composite while the OSSC only does RGB video and Component Video last I checked.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My IPS GBA arrived today!

Along with what I'm sure is a completely legit copy of Pokemon Fire Red. I always liked that one so that's cool with me!

Original backlit GBA:

IPS GBA:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The Punisher arcade game is a really fun two-button beat em up. The story is ludicrous (The Punisher at one point dons scuba gear and swims up a "pool drain pipe") but it's super fun and fast. Lots of weapon drops and a lot of them are violent as hell like flamethrowers and machine guns.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

We're finally getting some additions to the Switch Online VC games. Starfox 2 is there for anyone who didn't get an SNES classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8Bluf2HL8

edit: And Japan's getting Famicom Wars and Route 16 Turbo.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 5, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

If anyone cares I'm selling a couple console bundles in SA-Mart that come with Everdrives. The NES was modded by Monitor Burn.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905625

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

40-Degree Day posted:

Is there a way to repair a button contact in an SNES controller beyond cleaning it with 91% alcohol? I bought an ASCIIpad from a local shop and the down directional button doesn't work. It looks like the black material on the contact has rubbed off over the years. Anything I can do? Otherwise I'm just gonna return it.

For corroded conductive pads in a rubber membrane like the SNES and Genesis controllers, I've had the most luck rubbing the carbon bits on a piece of brand new printer paper until they no longer appear shiny.

If the material itself is gone, you're not gonna have much luck :( Conductive paint exists but I don't think it works well for this application. You could maybe cut up one of those remote-control membrane repair kits: http://p1repair.com/buttonworx_kit.html

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Random Stranger posted:

My PS1 memory is going, "Wow, everything looks and plays so much worse than my PC."
3d accelerators on PC didn't catch up to the PS1 for several years, I presume this was 1997 or later?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Teenage Fansub posted:

We're finally getting some additions to the Switch Online VC games. Starfox 2 is there for anyone who didn't get an SNES classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK8Bluf2HL8

edit: And Japan's getting Famicom Wars and Route 16 Turbo.

The moment I heard Journey to Silius, I was like “Man... that soundtrack. Love that poo poo!”

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My favorite PS1 memory is playing the hell out of the Great Turismo/Blasto/Einhander demo, falling in love with Tomba and Einhander, and not being able to find them. We eventually found Tomba after some searching but Einhander was impossible. My mom used her best eBay skills and snagged a copy and I've treasured it ever since.

Runner up is seeing Mega Man Legends in an Elder Beerman bargain bin, having my parents buy it, and it eventually becoming my favorite game ever. And then my parents buying me Mega Man Legends 2 on a whim for Christmas when it came out.

Sidenote, my early penchant for obscure games came in handy after looking at prices for some of these. Like seriously this was my childhood right here:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My favorite PS1 memory is playing the hell out of the Great Turismo/Blasto/Einhander demo, falling in love with Tomba and Einhander, and not being able to find them. We eventually found Tomba after some searching but Einhander was impossible. My mom used her best eBay skills and snagged a copy and I've treasured it ever since.

Runner up is seeing Mega Man Legends in an Elder Beerman bargain bin, having my parents buy it, and it eventually becoming my favorite game ever. And then my parents buying me Mega Man Legends 2 on a whim for Christmas when it came out.

Sidenote, my early penchant for obscure games came in handy after looking at prices for some of these. Like seriously this was my childhood right here:

They can have my PAL copy of Mega Man Legends 2 when it's pried from my cold dead hands, Legends-Buddy :hfive:.

Though I gotta one-up you with the 4Inch Nell Megaman Volnutt :smuggo:.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

So my IPS GBA arrived today from Hong Kong...

Looks fuckin' good, although a couple times when I turned it on no picture appeared and the screen just kind of flicker dim white and black... dunno if this is something I can fix myself or if I should contact the seller? I'd rather not send it back and wait for weeks again...

EDIT: Thinking it has something to do with the ribbon cable connection because if I squeeze the case a little at the top the picture comes back. And it doesn't always happen

I've had this happen with non-modded GBAs. Try pulling the battery prongs outward a bit with your fingernails. The batteries weren't getting great contact with the terminals and squeezing the system made them touch is how I figured it out.

All New Sonic
Nov 7, 2012

& KNUCKLES
Buglord

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You have excellent taste, my friend. The only one of those five I don't have is Einhander; I remember playing a demo at a friend's house and thinking it was kinda weird, so I never bothered picking up a copy. If I ever get my hands on a time machine, I'm gonna go back and slap myself a few times.

There's a used game store near Las Vegas called Retro City Games that occasionally gets some really neat import stuff in, and I got this a year or two ago for like $20:

I love that cover art and sticker sheet so much :allears:

Kempo
Oct 8, 2006

Not my first, but my worst PS1 memory was Gran Turismo 2, and specifically not realising you could buy second hand cars.

I started the game and the only new car I could afford was the lovely little Fiat. I did the "lovely little Fiat only" race what felt like hundreds of times, always coming last and gaining a tiny bit of cash, because my lovely little Fiat was far worse than the CPU's. I remember at one point going for a bath and asking my then girlfriend to do a lovely little Fiat race for me, and not to worry because she would definitely lose. I slowly upgraded the lovely little Fiat and placed higher and higher in the race until I could buy a better car. It was loving miserable.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
And here I felt dumb for grinding Sunday Cup forever in GT1 just to sell the Demio over and over again.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I don't have many PS1 memories because I really hated how all video games were becoming 3d at that time (I was fine with it for games where it was needed like racing games or FPSs) so I didn't care much for gaming from like 97-01 besides multi-player N64 games but I'll never forget getting my PS1 on Christmas and playing MK3 at like 7 in the morning and being absolutely blown the gently caress away at what an amazing port that was. It was the first time in my life I felt like the "arcade is in your home" cliche was true. The Redbook audio coupled with the gigantic sprites made my drat jaw drop, and it made the SNES version (which I also had...well UMK) look like a pile of trash.

The only pre-PS1 thing I remember about the system was arguing with a friend who said it was going to kick rear end and I said "absolutely no one is going to buy a game console by Sony. What's next, Aiwa making a video game system?". Goddamn I was a stupid kid.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
PS1 Hype was for real in the Next-Gen vidya game magazine. While I personally didn't buy a PS1 until literally a few years ago, I had roomates that always had one and we all thought it was going to be awesome (and it was).

https://archive.org/details/nextgen-issue-001/page/n47

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
This ad aged well

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Oh man the amount of bluster from companies making FMV games was insane. Even from the smallest ones like Rocket Science or whoever made Tetsujin: Iron Angel of the Apocalypse. Some of the most pretentious text ever written can be found in 3DO game manuals.

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The Punisher arcade game is a really fun two-button beat em up. The story is ludicrous (The Punisher at one point dons scuba gear and swims up a "pool drain pipe") but it's super fun and fast. Lots of weapon drops and a lot of them are violent as hell like flamethrowers and machine guns.

It's not as good but if one has already played this and wants something with a similar feel, similar to how Arcade Zone made a ripoff of Knights of the Round with the SNES game legend they also did Iron Commando on the SNES which has similar grenade stuff/etc. Incredibly rockin' soundtrack too.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I've had this happen with non-modded GBAs. Try pulling the battery prongs outward a bit with your fingernails. The batteries weren't getting great contact with the terminals and squeezing the system made them touch is how I figured it out.

Thanks I'll try it later

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Though I gotta one-up you with the 4Inch Nell Megaman Volnutt :smuggo:.

Is that a Tachikoma or some other Ghost in the Shell tank poking in on the left?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I got my first Playstation the summer of 96. It was the the first thing I bought with my first job when I was like 14 I think? I only had enough money for the system so I was stuck renting games for awhile. The first game I rented was Tekken 2 and I played the hell out of it.

I had Final Fantasy 7, Castlevania: SOTN and Metal Gear Solid all at release. I also got a Dual Shock to play Ape Escape shortly after release. Ape Escape still might be the only 3D platformer I have ever 100% completed. I had a ton of games for the drat thing especially towards the end since they were just so cheap. Even weeks after release stuff would be less than half of retail.

Now I don't have a PSX at all. I keep thinking about getting a launch model and getting a PSIO but then I remember there isn't much on it I care to replay since a vast majority of the library has not aged well at all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

GutBomb posted:

This ad aged well

I read the top right one as "Sim City with Scottie Pippen" and now I'm sad this doesn't exist

My PS1 memory is that I got it because I was blown the gently caress away by Metal Gear Solid, and mad that FF7 wasn't on the SNES. It was an extremely good decision

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

My best PS1 memory was working with Shane Bettenhausen, and convincing him to lend me his imported copy of Symphony of the Night for a weekend, months before the US version came out.

That sprite work was so. loving. Good.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my other favorite PS1 memory was getting King's Field (a sadly mistaken friend of mine said I'd love it if I loved SNES RPGs) only to find out to save the game literally took up the entire memory card, effectively making the game cost $25 more than what it really was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Crackbone posted:

My best PS1 memory was working with Shane Bettenhausen, and convincing him to lend me his imported copy of Symphony of the Night for a weekend, months before the US version came out.

That sprite work was so. loving. Good.

Did you work at EGM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Did you work at EGM?

Nope, Waldensoftware. Shane and I were both In college at the time. I only found out he was EGM editor a few years ago, I just remembered him as the guy with the dope-rear end import collection.