Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And it's getting longer with the nose flying faster than the tail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's just an Australian infographic.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

And it's getting longer with the nose flying faster than the tail

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaghettification

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

It can also save time creating charts, apparently

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I hate you

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Is the 'feet' axis altitude or distance travelled? Everything about that graph seems reversed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Good grief

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Shout out to the participants who said "ship it" immediately after 0 minutes when given a no-doubt inaccurate and nonsensical LLM draft, but extra special shout out to the participants who evidently submitted a blank page when starting from scratch. Those two(?) are the true heroes of this experiment(?).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Is the 'feet' axis altitude or distance travelled? Everything about that graph seems reversed.

:psyduck: why would it be distance traveled?

It's showing the do not exceed speed at different altitudes, but for some reason the vertical axis is reversed.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

, but for some reason the vertical axis is reversed.

I didn't notice that because I foolishly gave the horrible chart the benefit of the doubt

That'll show me

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Precisely.

It's a bad graph, I just wanted to find out exactly how bad.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

It's showing the do not exceed speed at different altitudes, but for some reason the vertical axis is reversed.

That's interesting; what's the original contex? It's weird but not unheard of to rotate text 90 deg clockwise. If that infographic was displayed rotated 90 deg clockwise, it's fine.

I wonder if it was intended to be viewed that way and then was either presented as a transparency or full page where the presenter/reader might rotate or was "corrected" by an editor or publisher.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

I think it's intended to illustrate your plane dropping out of the sky because you went too fast.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

piL posted:

That's interesting; what's the original contex? It's weird but not unheard of to rotate text 90 deg clockwise. If that infographic was displayed rotated 90 deg clockwise, it's fine.

That doesn't fix it because Vne in IAS doesn't increase with altitude, it decreases.

Edit: I think the best you can do for "one change to make that chart make sense" is swap the 10,000 and 20,000. May have just been a typo or simple oversight rather than someone not understanding how charts work. With the caveat that maybe there's something I don't understand going on with a high performance WWII fighter that makes it work opposite from a normal plane.

Theris has a new favorite as of 14:20 on May 7, 2024

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Theris posted:

That doesn't fix it because Vne in IAS doesn't increase with altitude, it decreases.

Edit: I think the best you can do for "one change to make that chart make sense" is swap the 10,000 and 20,000. May have just been a typo or simple oversight rather than someone not understanding how charts work. With the caveat that maybe there's something I don't understand going on with a high performance WWII fighter that makes it work opposite from a normal plane.

It's still confusing, but the best thing I can think of is that what they're really concerned with here is overspeed in a dive, and the intended audience is a bunch of 18-20 year olds coming out of high school in 1943. So my guess is that it's not actually intended to be read as a graph, but a picture - and they expect it to be read left to right, rather than in x/y coordinates. So the max dive speed under 10,000 feet is furthest left, and then as you look across the page, you get to higher altitudes. I think it'd still make more sense if they had it with lower altitudes lower on the picture, but...

Incidentally, there's a fascinating book about the graphics used for training in the Second World War that I highly recommend. Turns out there was a whole lot of thought put into "how do we make this simple enough that some only-mostly-literate teenagers can use and maintain these cutting-edge machines?" Also some quite pretty art!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Theris posted:

My bad on the first part.

There's definitely something weird going on. I think your guess is a good one.

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's still confusing, but the best thing I can think of is that what they're really concerned with here is overspeed in a dive, and the intended audience is a bunch of 18-20 year olds coming out of high school in 1943. So my guess is that it's not actually intended to be read as a graph, but a picture - and they expect it to be read left to right, rather than in x/y coordinates. So the max dive speed under 10,000 feet is furthest left, and then as you look across the page, you get to higher altitudes. I think it'd still make more sense if they had it with lower altitudes lower on the picture, but...

That still gives you the opposite of the normal relationship between altitude and do not exceed speed.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 15:37 on May 7, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I was wondering that, normally planes go faster at high altitude cos of lower air resistance. If they don't slow down as they descend the wings fall off.

I guess maybe they expect the diving plane to accelerate and that's describing the velocity curve they want you to aim for? In order to be able to safely pull out of the dive or to prevent being over speed by the time you reach the bottom of the dive?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Timmy Age 6 posted:

It's still confusing, but the best thing I can think of is that what they're really concerned with here is overspeed in a dive, and the intended audience is a bunch of 18-20 year olds coming out of high school in 1943.

Yeah, that's probably why it's given as a single speed for 10,000ft segments rather than a graph with a continuous curve.

I found the equivalent chart for the P-51:
Based on that, and assuming there isn't something weird about whatever plane's training that chart is from (P-61 I think?) that doesn't also apply to the P-51, I stand by my theory that the chart is intended to be read the way most people would intuitively and the 10,000 and 20,000 are simply swapped by mistake.

Edit: to be clear I mean literally the text "10,000" and "20,000" are swapped, not the entire blocks they're attached to.

Edit 2:

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I was wondering that, normally planes go faster at high altitude cos of lower air resistance. If they don't slow down as they descend the wings fall off.

Planes can - generally and up to a point, I'll get to that - fly faster at higher altitudes in terms of true airspeed thanks to the thinner air. But indicated airspeed decreases with altitude for the same true airspeed, also thanks to the thinner air decreasing the pressure of the air entering the plane's pitot tube. IAS generally decreases faster than the max TAS increases. Once you get high enough the plane's maximum *mach* becomes the limiting factor. As the speed of sound decreases with altitude, that maximum mach gets slower in terms of true airspeed. For a fast prop plane like a WWII fighter the maximum mach is the speed where the propellor tips risk breaking the sound barrier. In a dive that's going to be the limiting factor for it at pretty much any altitude, which is why the max TAS decreases with altitude on the P-51 chart.

Theris has a new favorite as of 16:28 on May 7, 2024

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Theris posted:

Yeah, that's probably why it's given as a single speed for 10,000ft segments rather than a graph with a continuous curve.

I found the equivalent chart for the P-51:
Based on that, and assuming there isn't something weird about whatever plane's training that chart is from (P-61 I think?) that doesn't also apply to the P-51, I stand by my theory that the chart is intended to be read the way most people would intuitively and the 10,000 and 20,000 are simply swapped by mistake.

Edit: to be clear I mean literally the text "10,000" and "20,000" are swapped, not the entire blocks they're attached to.

Edit 2:

Planes can - generally and up to a point, I'll get to that - fly faster at higher altitudes in terms of true airspeed thanks to the thinner air. But indicated airspeed decreases with altitude for the same true airspeed, also thanks to the thinner air decreasing the pressure of the air entering the plane's pitot tube. IAS generally decreases faster than the max TAS increases. Once you get high enough the plane's maximum *mach* becomes the limiting factor. As the speed of sound decreases with altitude, that maximum mach gets slower in terms of true airspeed. For a fast prop plane like a WWII fighter the maximum mach is the speed where the propellor tips risk breaking the sound barrier. In a dive that's going to be the limiting factor for it at pretty much any altitude, which is why the max TAS decreases with altitude on the P-51 chart.

You're correct - the text 10,000 and 20,000 are swapped, as the accompanying text makes clear. Bad typo!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
An answer! Thank you.

Someone probably changed it in photoshop or something because they thought they knew better.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ah yes, the classic numerical scale, 30% - 190%.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The math works out. If the nitrogen content is at 90% and the CO2 at 10, the rest can be at 0. If the nitrogen content is at 20%, hydrogen could be at 50, CO2, oxygen and methane all at 10% and it would also add up to 100. And the same with any other amounts in between.

Also, 50% hydrogen, 10% oxygen and 10% methane would make for an explosive mixture.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think that might make a truly fantastic AV

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Thirty minutes after filming ends on any Ordinary Sausage video

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Thirty minutes after filming ends on any Ordinary Sausage video

BUT WILL IT BLOW?!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/GMomurder/status/1789049624143228999

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

OK but come on, if we'd put the axes to the same scale you'd barely be able to see any of the data on the right! You want me to make my chart illegible??

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I like the date range for the data.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hooah posted:

I like the date range for the data.

I'd assume it's to counter the point that things started in october instead of trying to hide the post-october increased retaliation, but I could be wrong

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

:eyepop: I'd ask if they were trying to publish in a journal but that looks like an ML paper and I know those only have page limits

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

The guy who drew this - Franklin Veaux - has written books about polyamory. You'd think an expert in the field would draw a more accessible chart of his interests, instead of this nonsense

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I like how joining Hugh Hefner's harem is mysteriously not commerce

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I assume commerce is just sex workers, possibly with regular clients.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

There's gotta be a word for the mindset of presenting miscellaneous thoughts in the most complicated way possible as a facade for meaningful insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Microplastics posted:

The guy who drew this - Franklin Veaux - has written books about polyamory. You'd think an expert in the field would draw a more accessible chart of his interests, instead of this nonsense

I don't know, I think it does a fair work for making some sense of a complex jungle of definitions. You get some overall picture of the paradigm and casual descriptions.

Also I would have expected that cheating was the most common form of non-monogamy!