Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blankd
Mar 26, 2010
EDIT: Update on the previous page.

Artist's dramatic interpretation of The Fight in this update.

I'm thankful that the cast continues to be culled.

blankd fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

This game is garbage, but the "fanart" makes it worth it.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I'd say it's actual art, it's the 'fan' bit that deserves the quotes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hes holding him with the belts omfg

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

The art made it worth it once again.

Fight scenes are just OHKOs against opponents standing around like idiots and failing initiative. Press X to kill. I mean, they're not even siccing someone from a surprise angle, just attacking from the front after a conversation with complete surprise.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

RA Rx posted:

Fight scenes are just OHKOs against opponents standing around like idiots and failing initiative. Press X to kill. I mean, they're not even siccing someone from a surprise angle, just attacking from the front after a conversation with complete surprise.

I like to imagine that the fights were just as perfunctory as the writing makes them out to be. Like no drawn out, pathos-ridden death scene for Lion Assassin - he just let out a "BLARF" and dropped like a sack of potatoes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I love how an assassin, someone acquainted with death as part of his profession, reacts to his friend lying motionless in an expanding pool of blood by shaking him and going "This isn't funny Endymion, wake up!"

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

RA Rx posted:

You think Klace would know how to actually write a coherent fight scene?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Data Graham posted:

I love how an assassin, someone acquainted with death as part of his profession, reacts to his friend lying motionless in an expanding pool of blood by shaking him and going "This isn't funny Endymion, wake up!"

That would be an appropriate scene with plenty of buildup and character development.

"This was the last job and then we were gonna retire. Buy that boat with the minibar and sail the world. Live free like you always talked about.You can't die on me now, you bastard! Wake up!"

E:"We ain't gotta kowtow to no gold-fringed flags no more!"

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

krisslanza posted:

You think Klace would know how to actually write a coherent fight scene?

I was expecting something better than a four-year old's 'blam blam' 'arghhh' godmoding. I mean an eight-year old can usually churn out a basic tacticool combat that has more back and forth than this even if it's just 'and he dove behind a rock, but then I threw a grenade and he couldn't get back up fast enough' or at least some gore.
He didn't even have a kid's overexuberant descriptions, like the bellhop's lightning fast maneuver, we're just left to assume Endymion's butterfingers are slipping on his knife.

Klace seems to have gone for the 'death strikes swiftly' angle, but that takes a bit of graceful shock and visceral action.

quote:

He closes his eyes before he uses the blade. Almost like can't attach himself to his actions. He adds a third victim to the floor -- and more blood.
He adds a victim!?

And then there's the grin on the guy's face when he mourns his friend. Klace couldn't even be bothered with a second cutout for that.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

RA Rx posted:

I was expecting something better than a four-year old's 'blam blam' 'arghhh' godmoding. I mean an eight-year old can usually churn out a basic tacticool combat that has more back and forth than this even if it's just 'and he dove behind a rock, but then I threw a grenade and he couldn't get back up fast enough' or at least some gore.
He didn't even have a kid's overexuberant descriptions, like the bellhop's lightning fast maneuver, we're just left to assume Endymion's butterfingers are slipping on his knife.

Klace seems to have gone for the 'death strikes swiftly' angle.

Here's some of my sweet milfic

quote:

Alvarez shifted his weight nervously from one foot, then to the other. The waiting, he decided, would be easier if it weren't so stifling out, even in the shade. Growing impatient, Alvarez sighted his AR-15 down the alley for the seventh time. Iridescent heat waves danced lazily in the air at the exit to the narrow alley, slowly hypnotizing the soldier. Then it dawned on him, he was going to die out here with nothing but a gnarly case of swamp nuts to show for it.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Pvt.Scott posted:

I like it. 'War is boring' + Action-Comedy ?
Got more posted somewhere?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 30, 2017

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

RA Rx posted:

I like it. 'War is boring' + Action-Comedy ?
Got more posted somewhere?

I haven't done any short-form Facebook fiction for a couple years. I'll see if I can dredge any more up. I found that one by searching my posts for "swamp nuts."

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Here's a short piece for a sci-for setting I never finished

quote:

The frail old woman was leaning back in a rickety folding chair set at a card table on top of a desert plateau, her dusty boots propped up on a crate of ammunition. She wore an abused leather duster that must have complimented her figure long ago, but now just made her look like a deflated sack of sticks. As she lazily eyed the busy canyon below, with men, machines and craft all busily buzzing about, her left hand absent-mindedly rubbed the brass button to the clasp on the holster that never seemed to leave her side. Over the years it had been worn just like a worry stone.

" Lenny, you remember when it was just us five that operated out of here on nothing but whiskey and pure spite? Chasing outlaws and warlords on foot like we needed the exercise!"

She began laughing and then coughed violently for entirely too long into the the bandanna kept around her neck in case of dust.

"Now, don't fuss after me Lenny. I'm the head of the Rangers now. Toughest bitch alive. I can take care of myself. Just wanted to see how your part of the franchise was holding up. I bet you can't believe we might ever made it this far, can you Lenny?"

Glancing over to her left, Hurricane Honey looked sadly at the four graves, laid out with full Ranger honors, and let out a deep sigh.

"Nope, I reckon you can't. I'd like to stay and chat a little longer boys, but I've got paperwork to do and then I've gotta get off this dirtball and see a man about getting some plasma throwers for our boys. Slugs just aren't cuttin' it these days. Oh, and Maxine? I got that one you were looking for."

Honey left a crudely severed finger behind on the table and began walking towards a waiting hoverskiff. She only made it half way before she fell to her knees and wept. 

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

Blarghalt posted:

But before I can do that -- we all hear a noise. Their ears immediately perk up at this.
I guess they thought somebody said "treat".

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
What was all that? What is going on. Someone update the story chart. Help me. Help me!

Shirtless neon belt creatures are all I see when I close my eyes. Their lines are wrong. Their lines are wrong

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007

RA Rx posted:

And then there's the grin on the guy's face when he mourns his friend. Klace couldn't even be bothered with a second cutout for that.

Some of these characters are written as man-children, maybe he actually thought he was joking?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Pvt.Scott posted:

Oh wait, mil-fic.

As for the action scene... Well, perhaps Klace could bore/infuriate someone to death.

Curus Keel
Nov 8, 2011

Wandering Blue Dragon
Let's see the follow up to this, which tosses more bullshit about basically nothing and just throws boring conversations as an excuse for character development.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat

Curus Keel posted:

Let's see the follow up to this, which tosses more bullshit about basically nothing and just throws boring conversations as an excuse for character development.

Impossible :colbert:

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

You should know by now that Major/Minor can ALWAYS get lower and worse!
I'm not sure if this or Uncommon Time is worse.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I just shotgunned this entire thread.

Do you guys know of "The Third Birthday", that horrible pseudo-sequel to Parasite Eve? TDI did an LP of it not to long ago, it's archived now. It had some of the worst characterization and character assassination I had ever seen in my poor, sheltered life. The writing was abysmal and the gameplay looked and sounded incredibly droll.

Every update I attempted to read was a failed exercise to stop my eyes from glazing over as though my soul were trying to die. In the end, nothing actually happened in that game, and a part of me died realizing that. The only solace I could find in that thread was the shared vitriol we all shared towards that dumbass game.

This game is worse. And it has fursonas in it.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

All in one go, how did you do it?

Anyone ever read anything worse btw?

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 4, 2017

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
That weird living rollercoaster fetish book was worse, though more of a charming awful.

https://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Miranda-Leek/dp/1452006210

Edit: Twisted was probably worse written and conceived, but it was also so insane that it at least made an interesting case study on the author. Major/Minor is just so bland that all the characters and plot points have just sort of run together and at this point I'm only reading the thread for the commentary. A character just died and I had no idea who it was or what their role was because everyone speaks with the same voice and nobody ever does anything.

Cuveball Sliders fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 4, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

Soiled Meat
I don't think I've ever read anything worse. This trash heap strikes just the wrong balance of tedium, plagiarism, and incomprehensibility. There's just nothing else quite like it.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I've read technically worse works, but I'd hold Major/Minor in lower regard because the author seems to think very highly of himself, whereas the shittier work is clearly done by a guy that just had an idea and wanted to express it (even if that meant plagiarism, poor flow, poor characterizations, no direction, etc), and also because Klace had the balls to charge his audience to read his vomit, and usually, the worse stuff is free.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

RA Rx posted:

Not gonna lie, it was a mix of stubbornness, and a seething rage against the furry community for appreciating this game.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There is literally fanart and fanfiction of this game.

E: I mean like the sincere kind.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

RA Rx posted:

Yes.

The worst piece of fiction I have seen in my entire life is "Star Wars: The Crystal Star" by Vonda McIntyre.

It's worse than this.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Yeah, to be fair, Major/Minor is just poorly written. There's nothing overtly objectionable here; even the furry art is a lazy, harmless afterthought. It's nothing like, say, "Do Unto Others", a novel where the main character gets addicted to video games and goes on a pedophilic murderous rampage - while also being boring and nonsensical.

RearmingStrafbomber
Jan 29, 2009

1-1-2029, tonight the stars are shining bright

RA Rx posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems,

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

It depends on "worse" because there's plenty of incredibly offensive fiction. I'm sure there's stuff that's more boring, some that's even less coherent, but there's fiction that are painful because they're the product of a deranged mind. Major\Minor isn't the worst thing I've read but it's definitely among the most bland and pointless.

M\M's major sin is incompetence; incompetence in vision, incompetence in technique. It's a cliched premise using paper cut-outs for characters with a plagiarized plot that needed an editor to chop down to a size manageable for both the writer and the audience. There's stuff that's written with actual malice in the author's heart while also being incompetent, so that alone rescues it from being sorted with literature that would better the world by having all its copies burned in a bonfire. M\M will merely vanish into the forgotten void that all disposable pop culture ends up going and I'm content to leave it there.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

doesn't help that M/M the author has a delusion that he's original, and good - and can't abide by any criticism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Robindaybird posted:

doesn't help that M/M the author has a delusion that he's original, and good - and can't abide by any criticism.

Hardly uncommon among people who write as badly as him.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

What's the name of thon phenomenon where people who know less about a subject think they are better than a person who does know about it?

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Samovar posted:

What's the name of thon phenomenon where people who know less about a subject think they are better than a person who does know about it?

Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Night10194 posted:

Hardly uncommon among people who write as badly as him.

It's almost as if there might be a causal relationship there...

Aristide
Sep 2, 2011

Mysterious Cat Country

This was a terrible way to spend a sick day.

Right after Mr. Stranger Danger and his melting maw, this has to be the best example of terrible anatomy in the game. Form the looks of things the artist just took the character's main sprite, erased both of the arms 3/4 of the way and then tacked on new arms to meet that two-pose quota without caring if the new arms and the remains of the old ones actually lined up.

It's just so lazy and bad.

At least it looks like it only showed up once unlike Shoelace Hyena.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm pretty sure you could use a picture of that thing to test people for color blindness.

"Ok son, now can you tell me what color the rabbit's highlights are?"

"Sir? I don't see no rabbit. Just a floating wig of some sort. And I think that's a ladies' brazier?"

"Oh...oh God son, I'm so sorry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cangelosi
Nov 17, 2004

"It's cute," he said to himself warily, "but it's not normal."

RA Rx posted:

Yes...yes I have. I belonged to a group of people who did Mystery Science Theater treatments on bad fanfictions, including some cringy self-insert fanfictions involving a crossover between Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter and the Three Ninjas. And the sequels even had James Bond, Mega Man, Ranma, Sephiroth, and...

Look, that's not the point. The point is that there are more cringy things out there, but this game does indeed make one feel uncomfortable in places, and very mistrustful of any dragon scientists who don't wear pants and uses explosives. If anything, this is one of the most cringeworthy crowdsourced games I've seen. And even then, I'm holding back.

• Locked thread