Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
Is Ted Rall the one with a vicious hate boner for the graphic novel Maus?

Some of the schools around here are open in person, and my dad already had to quarantine once in December when a student tested positive. My niece just finished a quarantine because one of her classmates tested positive. I support schools being open since it seems like that's what most medical officials are pushing for, but holy poo poo, it's still terrifying and not something to take lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

spacing in vienna posted:

Is Ted Rall the one with a vicious hate boner for the graphic novel Maus?

https://www.villagevoice.com/1999/07/27/the-king-of-comix/

He doesn't hate Maus, he just thinks it's overrated. And he really hates Spiegelman. Supposedly Spiegelman is kind of an rear end in a top hat, but Rall seems like he's mostly just mad that Spiegelman got a Pulitzer for Maus. He even says that it won the Pulitzer because "he was the only entry, you can't lose if you don't have any competition."

I'm feeling lazy but I'm sure someone else can post the cartoon about how Spiegelman's statue won't be in the Hall of Great Cartoonists, he'll probably be at the concession stand, but at least he won't be like Rall's statue which will be a urinal in the men's room.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm feeling lazy but I'm sure someone else can post the cartoon about how Spiegelman's statue won't be in the Hall of Great Cartoonists, he'll probably be at the concession stand, but at least he won't be like Rall's statue which will be a urinal in the men's room.

I like how the statue of Rall in the style of Rall still looks better than an actual Rall.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Just awed by the fact that Rall has somehow been doing this for 22 years minimum, plus however many he needed to become known enough to even be in a piece like that.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That's about the time Ralls sued a fellow cartoonist who was emailing all their mutual friends in character as "Ralls' balls".

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Mr. Squishy posted:

That's about the time Ralls sued a fellow cartoonist who was emailing all their mutual friends in character as "Ralls' balls".

Yeah, Danny Hellman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Hellman#Ted_Rall_lawsuit

He seems okay generally, I followed his Facebook for a long time. He got weirdly pro-Russia around the first Impeachment, and then went all-in on the anti-Biden stuff when Bernie Sanders didn't get the Democratic nomination.

Kinda felt like he was becoming his own version of Ted Rall's "only I know the truth" -ism.

Maybe he stared into the abyss for too long.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Danny was also going “well why didn’t they come out against the BLM riots last summer!?” bullshit after the insurrection so yeah ironically his politics are worse than Rall’s now.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

He messaged me on imgur and shared some testimony from the trial, which I posted in this thread. Circa... 2017?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 7, 2021

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Has anyone in the Biden administration even breathed one word of getting involved in that

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Feldegast42 posted:

Has anyone in the Biden administration even breathed one word of getting involved in that
After ~48 hours of calling it a violent political event, they officially declared it a coup which automatically placed certain limits on foreign and military aid to Myanmar.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Conservatives, especially known nationalist Trump, have hated the UN for decades. Does Smith even know his own politics?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Random thought I had this morning but it seems like we haven't gotten any "good" old-fashioned anti-Catholic cartoons, which is mildly surprising with the ascent of the nation's second Catholic president. Seems like one of the very few forms of mainstream prejudice that America has actually gotten over.

Of course, that could also be because nothing will ever top the raddest political cartoon of all time:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Random thought I had this morning but it seems like we haven't gotten any "good" old-fashioned anti-Catholic cartoons, which is mildly surprising with the ascent of the nation's second Catholic president. Seems like one of the very few forms of mainstream prejudice that America has actually gotten over.

Of course, that could also be because nothing will ever top the raddest political cartoon of all time:

Or maybe we have decided it is better to surrender ourselves to the robotic catholic crocodile overlords.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Evangelicals are in a weird spot right now where by their dogma Catholics would get the wall like 70% of the rest of the country but right now they need their support in order to push for their white supremacist theocracy. So they play nice with them while pushing Catholics in name only like Santorum or hyper-conservative Catholics that rejected Vatican II to push for their agenda.

If the coup had succeeded :krad: evil papist alligators would be showing up in their propaganda as enemies of the state alongside everyone else

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Popodiles are METAL.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Trapezium Dave posted:

I like how the statue of Rall in the style of Rall still looks better than an actual Rall.

The extremely pale piss really kinda makes it look like dudes are jacking off on the Rall statue. And I say, good for them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:therapy:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I don't trust a medical doctor who renamed himself to "The Science" . Is he an ex reality tv star?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Politics aside, I would be really impressed by a snow-Q.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Conservatives should be abandoned to the cold mercies of space, agc

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

A) No it's not

B) What science? What science, specifically, says it is safe to reopen schools?

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kaza42 posted:

A) No it's not

Seriously, what in the gently caress is he going on about?

It is incredibly unsafe to open schools, as anyone who has watched schools pop open for a week then slam shut would know

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Kaza42 posted:

A) No it's not

Good ol' Chip Bok really cares about science!

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Don't forget that one of Biden's goals is to reopen the schools within 100 days (hopefully safely with vaccinated staff, support, and funding, and not just does it anyway... we will see).

So it's disingenuous on on both ends.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kaza42 posted:

A) No it's not

What are you, Chinese? He already said "the science."

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
All of the science

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

The British experience shows that it is extremely not safe to open the schools lmao what is Bok smoking

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Moon Slayer posted:

the us conference of conference of catholic bishops operates today as a gop advocacy group. the reason there’s no anti-Catholic cartoons is because, in the us, the most visible arms of the church have moved from being oppressed to being active in aiding and abetting oppression

source: i am a practicing Catholic

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Kaza42 posted:

A) No it's not

AFAIK, Trump's CDC released incredibly selective research (small sample size) that small classes following all proper protocols (distancing, masks, ventilation) are safe. OFC, these protocols aren't able to be followed by most schools, and Biden's admin was quick to separate themselves from any "Open 'er Up!" conclusions.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

They deafened him...with SCIENCE!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Moon Slayer posted:

I think you posted the wrong image. That's not the "What would happen if the Suffragettes win" cartoon.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Leon Sumbitches posted:

AFAIK, Trump's CDC released incredibly selective research (small sample size) that small classes following all proper protocols (distancing, masks, ventilation) are safe. OFC, these protocols aren't able to be followed by most schools, and Biden's admin was quick to separate themselves from any "Open 'er Up!" conclusions.

My kid's elementary school is doing this and it's working out well. The necessary ingredients are (1) less than half the normal class size (everyone else still remote-learning), so you can distance (2) several million dollars school budget for emergency remodeling that happened summer 2020 (3) generally low infection numbers for the district so you can have full school staff cleaning and bringing lunches to each classroom (4) only one classroom, no art or music class.

I would not work at all for high school (where you mix and move between classes). It would not work at all for the full student body (there's not enough room). I've seen parents who just want someone else to proctor their kid in remote learning but I don't know where they think the space or staff will come from.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Thus proving what Mac said correct, "Science is a liar sometimes."

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Moon Slayer posted:

Feldegast42 posted:

Evangelicals are in a weird spot right now where by their dogma Catholics would get the wall like 70% of the rest of the country but right now they need their support in order to push for their white supremacist theocracy. So they play nice with them while pushing Catholics in name only like Santorum or hyper-conservative Catholics that rejected Vatican II to push for their agenda.

If the coup had succeeded :krad: evil papist alligators would be showing up in their propaganda as enemies of the state alongside everyone else

Republicans under Regan chose to make abortion a significant platform issue to replace segregation in Evangelical hearts because it would rope in Catholics as well. And because controlling women is more fundamental to the Catholic church than literally anything else, American Catholics gleefully handed their souls right over for that.

I don't' think modern Evangelicals have the same issue with Catholics previous generations did. Its not the religion of immigrants anymore (that's Islam and various folk religions usually related to Catholicism in Mexico and Central America) and Evangelicals themselves aren't' as culturally isolate as they used to be. I don't' doubt there are holdouts, but I'm not surprised that mainstream evangelical chuds aren't focusing on evil papist conspiracies these days. I mean the Left Behind books have the Pope get raptured because he was secretly saved all along. Jack Chick would have him feasting on babies with the antichrist or something.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
White catholicism has long since been overtaken by grievance politics and they're little more than a splinter sect of evangelicals with Latin and robes now.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Labour's patriotism strategy – The party has defended its renewed focus on British values and the union jack after a leaked strategy document was criticised by some"

Telegraph:

Matt:

‘A managerial Mephistopheles’: inside the mind of Jeff Bezos (with bonus Stephen Collins illustration!)

Independent:

Times:

Alexei Navalny: 1,000 arrested after protests over jailing of Russian opposition leader

Evening Standard:

Extend furlough or risk mass unemployment, industry and unions warn Sunak

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... a statue for Captain Tom

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Intoluene posted:

You know what, gently caress it. This is just so loving stupid in so many ways.

Nomination: Most wilfully dense.

He's legitimately the dumbest person in this space:

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1347721573248212993?s=20

He recently made a tweet about how he's a centrist but the left has just gone so far off the deep end lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Groovelord Neato posted:

He's legitimately the dumbest person in this space:

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1347721573248212993?s=20

He recently made a tweet about how he's a centrist but the left has just gone so far off the deep end lmao

Why does the start only have five points?