Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

christmas boots posted:

this is amazing

It was something else alright. Like, season one he's working for a rinky dink local team and it seems like that's more or less where the show will be about his hedonistic antics, maybe ending with him cleaning up, getting called to the minors but choosing to stay with his love interest. But instead he's out of there by end of season one, burns the bridge with his love interest and in season two he's working in the minors. By season three it's a science fiction dystopia show about the commissioner of baseball having a secret meeting with the algorithm who wants to buy America's dying heart, not because it has any affection for us, but because it's something that was programmed to sell people things and if everyone dies then there will be no one left to sell to. It's... maybe the most high concept vulgar comedy about baseball losers I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
yeah it's not painful. fun fact: old school neurophysiologists used to think the pfc didn't do anything because when they delivery current to it nothing overt happened, no movements or seizures. they called it 'silent cortex' :drugnerd:

it has potential to help but it is several decades longer that popsci and charletans like musk care to admit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I'm a little surprised that fast food restaurants haven't gone to the dark side and set up their drive-up order taking to go the call center route. After all, there's no reason to be paying that sky-high first-world minimum wage to have someone sit there in the building taking the orders over a headset from the cars outside and punching it into the touchscreen. Move that job to a country with low labor costs and no worker protections, and achieve economies of scale by having all the reps in the giant non-climate-controlled warehouse able to take orders from all client restaurants as needed. With a decent algorithm to predict the demand, and adjusting the staffing levels accordingly, all the reps will be taking orders as close to ALL THE TIME as can be managed, thus pinching even more pennies.

This would be pretty easily doable and I can't be the first person to think of it. So there are only two possible explanations: 1) The fast food chains decided not to be evil in this case, or 2) There are other overhead costs that I haven't considered which would leave the scheme unprofitable, at least for the moment. Draw your own conclusion.

Idk how they do it there but here the people taking orders are also doing other poo poo too, like taking payments and helping to pack orders.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hodgepodge posted:

tbh that at least sounds better than electroshock (which actually can be helpful for depression but it's a bit of a last resort)

It's not a last resort at all. It's one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures in the world.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
*for non-cognitive deficits*

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

how can i do it to myself and is there an api to do so with every post?

unrelatedly, where's the orgasm lobe?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Nastier Nate posted:

does it use a micro usb cause you could just get one of those lithium batteries with USB ports to charge phones

I’m modding my cybernetic arm to take loose 18650 cells.

Loads like a shotgun.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

T-man posted:

(the) orgasm lobe

this is a powerful username

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I started reading this and it owns because it has things that are mundane in 2020 like a distributed network of gigahertz-level processors used to control a lightbulb, and complete loving nonsense like an IRS agent going after a rich man for tax evasion.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Powered Descent posted:

I'm a little surprised that fast food restaurants haven't gone to the dark side and set up their drive-up order taking to go the call center route. .

That employee taking drive thru calls has other responsibilities when no one is at the window

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
And they're always automating more and more aspects of the drive-thru experience.

I've noticed McDonalds near me now has automated drink dispensers. As soon as a drink order goes into the system, the machine drops the right cup, drops some ice, then fills the correct drink. It then moves the cups on a small conveyor to make room for more drink orders.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: we collaboratively reinvent the premise of Marshall Brain’s “Mana”.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 192 days!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's not a last resort at all. It's one of the most commonly performed surgical procedures in the world.

Huh. I didn't realize it was so widely used.

Ugh. I hope it isn't "yeah but I meant torture."

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Pikachu therapist is making a killing in Kanto after Pokémon training was abolished by President Lickatung before his untimely death by John W. Bulbasaur

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

blatman posted:

I want to get a first-generation brain implant so that by the time it's 3 or 4 years old it's so riddled with unpatchable security holes that merely existing outside of a faraday cage results in me being brainjacked by malware, bonus points if there's corrosion or something on the part that directly interfaces with my shark-smooth brain because it was from the first production run and they hadn't worked out the kinks yet

Not to worry, no corticoid implant has as yet lasted more than a couple of years without scabbing over, and with ELON "SAFETY THIRD" MUSSSK using the shittiest and cheapest procedures and implants, you too can experience the delight of severe infection and faulty wire electrocution racing to be the first thing to send you to meet the reaper :science:

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Food Boner posted:

i worked on a darpa project for a number of years to "cure mental illness" by stimulating the prefrontal cortex in human patients ama

which part of the PFC, which mental illness

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SaTaMaS posted:

which part of the PFC, which mental illness

the typing part, your posting

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Food Boner posted:

yeah it's not painful. fun fact: old school neurophysiologists used to think the pfc didn't do anything because when they delivery current to it nothing overt happened, no movements or seizures. they called it 'silent cortex' :drugnerd:

it has potential to help but it is several decades longer that popsci and charletans like musk care to admit

*creates a written test with none of the demands or ambiguities of everyday life*
*notices that none of the more recently evolved parts of the brain activate*
"Is my test crap? No, clearly the brain is wrong"
*liquifies misbehaving childrens' PFC with an ice pick*

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hodgepodge posted:

Huh. I didn't realize it was so widely used.

Ugh. I hope it isn't "yeah but I meant torture."

Heh, nah. ECT is nothing like you see in the movies, with people thrashing around trying to bite their tongues off. You get a mild sedation when it happens, so the only thing that happens is the patient might have a mild twitch at the most. And recovery is almost immediate.

We do at least 2 a day at the hospital I work at, and they are so quick and event free that they typically just pop them in first thing in the morning before the regular surgeries start happening.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tias posted:

Not to worry, no corticoid implant has as yet lasted more than a couple of years without scabbing over, and with ELON "SAFETY THIRD" MUSSSK using the shittiest and cheapest procedures and implants, you too can experience the delight of severe infection and faulty wire electrocution racing to be the first thing to send you to meet the reaper :science:

Uh, what.

These words do not work this way.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 192 days!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Heh, nah. ECT is nothing like you see in the movies, with people thrashing around trying to bite their tongues off. You get a mild sedation when it happens, so the only thing that happens is the patient might have a mild twitch at the most. And recovery is almost immediate.

We do at least 2 a day at the hospital I work at, and they are so quick and event free that they typically just pop them in first thing in the morning before the regular surgeries start happening.

It really is amazing what science can do when the desire to do good isn't twisted into an elaborate front for sadism.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Powered Descent posted:

I'm a little surprised that fast food restaurants haven't gone to the dark side and set up their drive-up order taking to go the call center route. After all, there's no reason to be paying that sky-high first-world minimum wage to have someone sit there in the building taking the orders over a headset from the cars outside and punching it into the touchscreen. Move that job to a country with low labor costs and no worker protections, and achieve economies of scale by having all the reps in the giant non-climate-controlled warehouse able to take orders from all client restaurants as needed. With a decent algorithm to predict the demand, and adjusting the staffing levels accordingly, all the reps will be taking orders as close to ALL THE TIME as can be managed, thus pinching even more pennies.

This would be pretty easily doable and I can't be the first person to think of it. So there are only two possible explanations: 1) The fast food chains decided not to be evil in this case, or 2) There are other overhead costs that I haven't considered which would leave the scheme unprofitable, at least for the moment. Draw your own conclusion.

They tried that 14 years ago. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/technology/the-longdistance-journey-of-a-fastfood-order.html Still in the US, but they were piloting the tech.

NYT in 2006 posted:

Ms. Vargas works not in a restaurant but in a busy call center in this town, 150 miles from Los Angeles. She and as many as 35 others take orders remotely from 40 McDonald's outlets around the country. The orders are then sent back to the restaurants by Internet, to be filled a few yards from where they were placed.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PirateDentist posted:

They tried that 14 years ago. https://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/11/technology/the-longdistance-journey-of-a-fastfood-order.html Still in the US, but they were piloting the tech.

that sounds like a nightmare even now much less in 2006. like what if the root beer line is busted and they didn't update the excel spreadsheet?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

PirateDentist posted:

uh, main reason they keep trying this is that it eliminates employee theft; if you ever had the dude taking your order ask ‘cash’s or credit’ it’s because if it’s cash it doesn’t get rung up.

Same reason they backed off. Increasing use of credit cards.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remulak posted:

uh, main reason they keep trying this is that it eliminates employee theft; if you ever had the dude taking your order ask ‘cash’s or credit’ it’s because if it’s cash it doesn’t get rung up.

Same reason they backed off. Increasing use of credit cards.

I can't imagine that's the case now where almost every fast food restaurant has a screen showing you your order as you order it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

uber_stoat posted:

just remembered Charles Stross' Accelerando, where the brilliant bajilionnaire tech dude protag gets to be so reliant on his Smart Glasses to keep his poo poo together, after the glasses get snatched in a mugging he can't remember anything about where he is or what he's meant to be doing.
and the kid who puts them on gets so disoriented that he literally believes he's the other guy for a while because of the information overload

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine that's the case now where almost every fast food restaurant has a screen showing you your order as you order it.

also every cash register in every low end job is filmed at all times

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Stross's sexbot post human cyborg society book has made expanding foam a forbidden but desired erotic experience thanks to one hilariously poorly written scifi erotica scene.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

T-man posted:

Stross's sexbot post human cyborg society book has made expanding foam a forbidden but desired erotic experience thanks to one hilariously poorly written scifi erotica scene.

it's bad news to get horny for an experience that will kill you. that's how you end up having your dick eaten by an excitable German man.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

uber_stoat posted:

it's bad news to get horny for an experience that will kill you
do not try to keep me from climate change-chan

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

it's bad news to get horny for an experience that will kill you. that's how you end up having your dick eaten by an excitable German man.

It's nice that someone's excited to see it

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

uber_stoat posted:

I just hope he appreciates what little there is.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/benjysarlin/status/1300843425181446144?s=21

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So if you've got $300 spare for the game and console* (since yuzu refuses to play nice) you too can have useless litter... IN CYBERSPACE

*In the middle of like six simultaneous crisises that have been entirely unaddressed by dems obv

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

can't wait for the wacky yard sign edits

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

On the one hand, leaving behind an AI after your civilisation dies is very cool sci fi. On the other hand, the AI left behind after our civilisation dies is going to be clouds of Russian troll bots and the automated Right wing Twitter feeds sharing their fake news articles.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bike tory posted:

On the one hand, leaving behind an AI after your civilisation dies is very cool sci fi. On the other hand, the AI left behind after our civilisation dies is going to be clouds of Russian troll bots and the automated Right wing Twitter feeds sharing their fake news articles.

I think I played this video game.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Pokémon go to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Whoever is getting paid to build Biden's Animal Crossing island, congrats on the grift, you've earned it.