Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Jetrauben posted:

Yeah but Labyrinthos as like, a place is absolutely dominated by the idea of hope for the future?

I think Labryinthos is a place primarily dominated by textbooks and nerds.

That's a fair enough read I suppose, but in any scene that makes a point about hope or relief it's glowing something other than white so at the very least if it's white not many people in the area are feeling too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jetrauben posted:

The main argument against most of the First's Role Quest crew being our new party in 7.0 is that while Cylva is cool, a lot of them are just kinda...ok. Lue-Reeq is a good boy, I suppose, and Giott's got a funny schtick.

I don't think the entire role quest crew would have to appear; none of them are intimately connected to the void. Just Cylva and Unulkuhai. One or two of them might tag along if the writers like them but there's no particularly pressing reason to bring all of them.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I think the point of the Elpis in Ultima Thule is that if the place were truly filled with absolutely despair, they would insta-poof away like our flower back on Radz-at-Han. The fact the flowers can shine white in there is absolute proof there is hope, which is what shatters the Endsinger's anti-life thing.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
tbh I sort of dislike our flower poofing and then being replaced by magically summoned flowers

I think the story would have worked a lot better if we had delivered the same flower we picked at Labyrinthos by hand to Meteion

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failboattootoot posted:

I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests. It's been awhile but isn't the quest just Cylva going oh you've killed the virtues come solve this final mystery and the role npc's barely play into it at all from there other than a funny cutscene where they party? Seems easy enough to split off into it's own thing if necessary.

It just means I'm never gonna see it. Feels weird to be locked out of seemingly important story content.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

I think the point of the Elpis in Ultima Thule is that if the place were truly filled with absolutely despair, they would insta-poof away like our flower back on Radz-at-Han. The fact the flowers can shine white in there is absolute proof there is hope, which is what shatters the Endsinger's anti-life thing.

Yeah, by the point Emet helps you summon the flowers, WoL and the Scions have injected the place with hope, between them sacrificing themselves to be the literal air you can breathe, to you carrying the hopes and dreams of everyone on your planet with you, and that's how you're able to break through Endsinger's bullshit enough to reach Meteion.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

stev posted:

It just means I'm never gonna see it. Feels weird to be locked out of seemingly important story content.

You're locked out of everything you don't do.

If it interests you, just go do it.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Hogama posted:

The Knight in Black could also just be like Unukalhai's brother or something. Just a concept for a bit of a twist here, since there's maybe 0.01% narrative chance that Azdaja isn't somehow intertwined in this latest plot.

I could see Azdaja being involved with Golbez, and Golbez being Unukalhai's older brother is how we tie in our pals from the 13th chilling out on the 1st. There's also the angle of how Dark Knight in IV was kinda more like a dark wizard in some ways, and how Cecil and Golbez in IV start off as different interpretations of that class before going in different directions.

Unukalhai looks an awful lot like a young Cecil, when you think about it.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmMvd6zf_t8

Video of a Dragonsong Reprise Clear (starting from the checkpoint at Phase 2).

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Failboattootoot posted:

I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests. It's been awhile but isn't the quest just Cylva going oh you've killed the virtues come solve this final mystery and the role npc's barely play into it at all from there other than a funny cutscene where they party? Seems easy enough to split off into it's own thing if necessary.

Because Cylva wanted you to put the 4 WoL to rest before trying to commit suicide by you. Just like how the EW capstone needs you to do the role quests so you have all nation leaders at Garlemald instead of dealing with their Blasphemies at home.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

stev posted:

yeah theyve literally never done this before, like when we learned what happened to omega in the msq

or when we learned about what happened to bahamut and the shards of dalamud, in the msq

or, whoa this ones crazy, when we learned about the fate of the rest of norvrandt and the aetherial balance of the first, in the msq

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

stev posted:

All you have to do is 2 EX fights that can be unsync'd, 20 mins of talky quests to unlock the Warring triad EX fights (Don't have to do them) and then just level a few jobs. Hell even that last part is truncated because you can get classes to cover them that start around that level range anyway. At this point if oyu want to see it it's pretty easy to get to.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

What I can see them doing is doing another "Void Quest" (since that's the specific name they gave to the "haul Unukalhai across the Rift" quest at the end of ShB and it'd be really weird if they came up with a new category of quest and then only ever do it the one time) after the Four Fiends trial series or whatever is done that'll tie a nice little bow on Unukalhai and Cyvia's stories
Can't forget that our current MSQ plan, in-universe, is simply to do an expedition to figure out what happened to Azdaja and hopefully retrieve her. Clearly there will be complicated developments, but it's not entirely Unukalhai and Cylva's long-term goal of restoring the entire Thirteenth from the Void. They might get brought in later, but the initial stakes, at least, are a bit different.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

All you have to do is 2 EX fights that can be unsync'd, 20 mins of talky quests to unlock the Warring triad EX fights (Don't have to do them) and then just level a few jobs. Hell even that last part is truncated because you can get classes to cover them that start around that level range anyway. At this point if oyu want to see it it's pretty easy to get to.

What do the extremes have to do with it? Don't you just have to do the normal mode Triad fights for their story?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think you need to do the quests to unlock, but not kill, the ex Warring Triad, but to unlock those three, you do have to defeat Bismark and Ravanna Ex.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
You do not need to kill EX Ravana and Bismarck.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The quest doesn't unlock until later in the patches, but yeah you don't need to fight the primals.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

super-redguy posted:

You did as of 6 months ago when I unlocked the stuff.

The Ravana and Bismarck EXes are the old-style extreme quests where they stick around in your journal until you beat the fight.

Warring Triad EX quests complete as soon as you unlock the fight so you don't have to actually do the fights.

I'm pretty sure the EX stuff is nothing to do with void plot, it's just about getting everything Unukalhai related out of the way so they can move him to the First without breaking quests

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You do have to kill Ravana and Bismarck EX to do the Void Quests, because you need to exhaust every single one of Unukalhai's quests in the Rising Stones before he moves to the First (they didn't want an "Urianger at the Waking Sands when he's supposed to be incapacitated" scenario again), and Thok Around the Clock and The Diabolical Bismarck both complete after their respective EX fights. You don't have to actually do any of the Warring Triad EX fights, though; A Fiendish Likeness, A Deific Simulacrum, and A Demonic Duplicate all complete as they unlock their respective EX fights. The Hero's Journey (the first Void Quest) needs all five of those named quests completed to start (as well as Safekeeping, but that's not from Unukalhai).

I've made the same mistake before - you don't need to do the Ravana and Bismarck EXs to do the Warring Triad questline, but the Void quests want a little extra.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

What do the extremes have to do with it? Don't you just have to do the normal mode Triad fights for their story?

You have to kill ravana and Bismark EX and I guess the story content versions of the WT but if you're that into the plot that you're interested in the Void Stuff I assumed you'd have done that by now.

Alxprit posted:

The quest doesn't unlock until later in the patches, but yeah you don't need to fight the primals.

super-redguy posted:

You do, unless they changed it in 6.0, they're the older EX primal quest type where oyu have to clear the fight to turn in the quest while the WT EX's just complete on unlocking the fights. You need all those quests cleared to unlock void quests.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The Unukalhai and Cyllva connection is one of the big reasons why I think the Void won't be 7.0. That said, the void storyline might not be fully resolved by 7.0 either and it could be something that gets placed on the backburner temporarily as we suddenly have to deal with something else. If they ever do decide to make the Warring Triad required for MSQ though, I can see them removing the EX prereqs since that ends up being a stonewall for a good chunk of players even if they could easily unsync it. As for the capstone, within 3 or 4 expansions, assuming they keep adding new jobs, there is a point where every player would just automatically have every role available to them for Shb. Not to say that's a perfect solution, but it does solve the player entry problem and the only thing stopping a player is just choosing not to unlock their new lvl 80/90/100 jobs and doing those Shb role quests.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 6, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The biggest stonewall right now is caster, which hasn't had a new job since the level 50 RDM.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Failboattootoot posted:

I honestly don't really remember there being a good reason for the capstone to require the completion of all the role quests.

Because it's the capstone to the Ardbert and company's storyline? Like it's very much about the whole party, and her emotional connection to them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Waffleman_ posted:

The biggest stonewall right now is caster, which hasn't had a new job since the level 50 RDM.

Probably feels pointless to make a new caster after they perfected it

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The next DPS job they add will most likely be one that uses Scouting gear.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Because it's the capstone to the Ardbert and company's storyline? Like it's very much about the whole party, and her emotional connection to them.

Yeah I don't really understand how you could be confused that the quest about the last missing party member from the flashbacks who's connected to all of them would tie into the story of all of them.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

The next DPS job they add will most likely be one that uses Scouting gear.

Knife mage.

Correction: I have been informed that this is Ninja.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised if we got two DPS again next expansion.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

WrightOfWay posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if we got two DPS again next expansion.

Big rear end weapon dps, big rear end weapon dps, please yoship

And the caster we're bound to get. Really excited for that one.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
You ever think about how Arenvald saw Fordola, went “I can fix her” and then did just that

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HPanda posted:

Knife mage.

Correction: I have been informed that this is Ninja.

no no knife mage is their cousin from new jersey

e: ninjas are knife artists, knife mages are the dude that do the spinny thing with a butterfly knife before just shanking you in the neck

TGLT fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 7, 2022

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
I haven't done the ShB role quest capstone yet so I dunno if information given there contradicts this idea, but I've always thought it'd be funny if Unukalhai turned out to be one of the Azem shards. There'd be comedy in Elidibus gathering bits of Azem together without even realizing it as he went about doing Ascian business.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Big rear end weapon dps, big rear end weapon dps, please yoship

And the caster we're bound to get. Really excited for that one.

If they roll both of these wishes into the same class then I'll finally have a reason to play casters besides role quest completion. :pray:

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
If Unukalhai is anyone's reflection it's the kid you save in the magic role quest, Taynor. I remember feeling it was super implied but I can't remember why right now.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

TGLT posted:

If Unukalhai is anyone's reflection it's the kid you save in the magic role quest, Taynor. I remember feeling it was super implied but I can't remember why right now.

Taynor does make some comments about Unukalhai something to effect of "wow it's like I've known you my whole life"

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

TGLT posted:

I felt like it was implying that Unukalhai was a shard/reflection of Nyelbert, the Black Mage of Ardbert's party. Both because Taynor kept saying Unukalhai felt familiar to him somehow, but also because I remember Unukalhai saying something about how the memories from Nyelbert's crystal seemed to be easier for him to access or something along those lines.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I always took the butterfly thing to be more reflective of modern society than the ancients. Not that it isn't reflective of them too. There's a point to be made about how the ancients, for all their enlightened wisdom sort of thinking, also view themselves as naturally above everything else, that they are in fact in a position to judge everything else. They don't see themselves as gods but they certainly view themselves above the rest. Even Venat was willing to make huge decisions that affected everyone and everything. Her regrets come from the pain and suffering it caused, but she had no qualms being the one to make such a decision.

Just think of the poo poo we do for meat or anything else. Even if you take all the horrible industrialization for mass production out, a lot of people would be squeamish about doing it themselves, even if they were given the tools and instructions and made no mistakes. But have someone else do it for them and then they're fine with meat.

Back to Hermes, there's no real right answer to it. What if he's just wrong? Emet's suggestion was that rather than keep facing a question he could not answer and anguish about it, he'd be better off using his time to do something else instead. It's clear that whatever joys working at Elpis also come with a lot of pain and if he can't treat the cause, he could just see if he'd enjoy doing something else. It's not like he needs the job at Elpis or else he'll starve.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
There's an echo of an idea in the Ancients of those born into a state of divinity through reincarnation in Buddhist thought. 'Sure, you lived a blessed life with divine power. But it's so hard to actually IMPROVE because you are never actually challenged, you're much more likely to backslide.'

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Macaluso posted:

Probably feels pointless to make a new caster after they perfected it

And yet they still went on to make Summoner and Red Mage, so who knows what they might do

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

If they were going to add a new caster and it wasnt, like, Rune Knight or w/e from XI, the kind of caster I'd want most is something that uses a weapon like the Talis from Phantasy Star Online, which are basically a combination of a "conduit" which is attached to the player's arm and cards that you throw out, and the way that they play as a mage is they imprint onto the cards and then throw the cards out to "stay" in place, and then actually cast the spell with the card being the origin point rather than the player; i think it'd be interesting to get something magical like machinist's turrets without it being an actual pet class, or getting different effects based on whether the spell comes from the player or from the card, or whatever.

it'd also give people who want the cards from AST to be more customizable or unique a bone (like, visually, i mean, not mechanically) :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I want them to give us Mascot