Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Tenik posted:

Can you connect to any of the other data centers, or is it just primal giving you trouble? If you can't connect to any of them, it might be your firewall.

i don't even know if it's that i'm not connecting. i get the title screen, i select a data center, i hit start. it pops up the "connecting to data center message", then a sound plays, and the screen fades out. then it's just a black screen with a white loading circle in the corner, forever. i've tried disabling windows firewall for a minute just to check.

edit nope. and you can't post on their tech support forum without a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Reclaimed housing is going to backfire, giving back 80% of the plot price basically guarantees that people will still snatch up any housing they can - there is still an insane demand for housing since none was added, and a maximum risk of only 20% in a market like that means there's no downside. Hell, it will probably raise the housing prices since now the flippers have nothing to fear at all about buyers walking away

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Well, that's another grind down.

How majestic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
i'm going to reinstall this thing and if it still doesn't work i'm just gonna throw my hands up and walk away and thank god i only paid five bucks for it, because i have no loving clue what's wrong

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Literally The Worst posted:

i'm going to reinstall this thing and if it still doesn't work i'm just gonna throw my hands up and walk away and thank god i only paid five bucks for it, because i have no loving clue what's wrong

Try filling in a support ticket here: https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=5382&la=1

Can't promise either that they'll help or that they'll get back to you in a timely manner, but it's a way of requesting tech support that doesn't involve posting on the official forums (and consequently already having a character created in the first place).

If I were to spitball an explanation it would be either:

- Some sort of port blocking / firewall issue (check router).
- The game is trying to record local files with details like "what's my default data center" to a drive it doesn't have authorization to write to (try running the game as admin).
--- Variant: it's trying to write this to some sort of read-only drive or completely full drive, but I expect you'd notice for other reasons if you had concerns with that.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Klades posted:

Personally, I'd like to see some (compared to now) bold job balance changes in each patch and some content that's a little more than "don't stand in the orange circles, dps harder" at all levels of gameplay.

This is interesting to me, because while I think that performance wise, classes are mostly in a good place, at least from my, not super informed, perspective, but the design philosophy seems kind of...off. I'm not sure how to put it into words, but in general what they changed for HW seems to generally be a goal of "MORE complex", though for some jobs this feels well thought out, and other times it feels like they just threw stuff at a dartboard and went with what stuck. It doesn't feel very inspired.

War, Mnk, Smn in particular all felt like that received stuff that complimented their weaknesses in 2.0, to the point of making War god mode. Blm and Enochian is basically sure it pumps your numbers up to melee dps levels which is cool and good, but it totally changes how the class played and doubled down on its weaknesses. Blood of the Dragon is a better Enochian in this way, while feeling out of nowhere for drg, it is pretty well done and allows the player to control the difficulty curve; as you get better you fit in more Geirskoguls, if you're bad like me you touch it a lot less. Brd feels like someone just wanted to make a different class. And nin is just...to me adding a positional on Aeolian Edge just feels petty, but I hate positionals and don't feel they add that much unless it's something like BotD and the two finishers.

Most of this isn't bad, mind you, just it doesn't feel like most of the things were changed to make the classes better, just to make them different/more complex. And plenty of smalls tweaks could make things more fun. It feels like they just rushed all this out, especially given that players never touched the class changes before live. Now that is classic SE, but part of the appeal of this game to me was how open the devs were. Seeing Yoshi P go and talk about various design stuff, very publicly, helped make up for 1.0 and to dispel the impression of SE from my FFXI days were they were very much a "Oh player feedback? gently caress YOU" company.

It's a small microcosm but the devs feel out of touch, and how a job plays is the baseline for how players interact with the game, and a good class experience can help shore up a game when its content is flagging.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Personally, I feel that adding 5 new abilities to every job was a bad idea. Too many new buttons, adding complexity where it wasn't needed. 2/3 abilities + 2/3 passives that change existing abilities would have been fine.

For example, Paladin. Goring Blade and Clemency were excellent additions. Sheltron is good as well, though it could have been attached to a redesigned Shield Bash/Shield Swipe. Divine Veil is nice, despite requiring a heal to trigger it, but could have easily been an added effect on one of the existing tanking cooldowns like Tempered Will. Royal Authority is needless filler, nothing all that special about it. Wish that sparkly effect did something cool like heal players near the tank.

Varance fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 23, 2015

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I'm thinking about getting the game and watching steam for a sale. Not banking on it but a 2nd reason I might care there is to use in house streaming as not all the machines can run this monster. There any side effects about running via steam I might consider first?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
edit: nvm

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

LethalGeek posted:

I'm thinking about getting the game and watching steam for a sale. Not banking on it but a 2nd reason I might care there is to use in house streaming as not all the machines can run this monster. There any side effects about running via steam I might consider first?

If you buy the base game through Steam, even the free trial, you'll need to buy every expansion through Steam as well. You should probably pick it up through https://www.humblebundle.com/ which will give you a code you can activate on SE's website.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Vil posted:

Try filling in a support ticket here: https://support.na.square-enix.com/contact.php?id=5382&la=1

Can't promise either that they'll help or that they'll get back to you in a timely manner, but it's a way of requesting tech support that doesn't involve posting on the official forums (and consequently already having a character created in the first place).

If I were to spitball an explanation it would be either:

- Some sort of port blocking / firewall issue (check router).
- The game is trying to record local files with details like "what's my default data center" to a drive it doesn't have authorization to write to (try running the game as admin).
--- Variant: it's trying to write this to some sort of read-only drive or completely full drive, but I expect you'd notice for other reasons if you had concerns with that.

i wish there was a way for me to check and see if it was a port issue. definitely not my firewall, at this point.

good tip on the support ticket though, i'll give that a shot

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Varance posted:

Personally, I feel that adding 5 new abilities to every job was a bad idea. Too many new buttons, adding complexity where it wasn't needed. 2/3 abilities + 2/3 passives that change existing abilities would have been fine.

For example, Paladin. Goring Blade and Clemency were excellent additions. Sheltron is good as well, though it could have been attached to a redesigned Shield Bash/Shield Swipe. Divine Veil is nice, despite requiring a heal to trigger it, but could have easily been an added effect on one of the existing tanking cooldowns like Tempered Will. Royal Authority is needless filler, nothing all that special about it. Wish that sparkly effect did something cool like heal players near the tank.

Kinda, yeah. Like, if only for convenience, Fell Cleave and Decimation should be traits that change Inner Beast and Steel Cyclone depending on your stance, not different abilities.

Enochian's just hosed, though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Enochian could change Fire I to Fire IV and likewise for blizzard. Though if you cut the refresh then you'd have to hard cast Fire III while in astral fire which is bad. And then if you keep the procs you are horrifically rng dependent.

Yeah enochian is hosed.

There are some skills where being separate doesn't make sense. Ruin I and Ruin III for example - just make DWT add 40 potency to ruin I.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Hey if they want to add more content how about anything at ALL from the Grand Companies? I'm really tired of dumping my GC seals on cordials or just letting them rot. Plus ranking up with the GC's should be a way to expand on the city-storylines which could use some attention after spending so much time in Ishgard.

Give us a couple ranks, some post-50 leveling gear, and some nice vanity buys at 60!

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
Enochian is great, if there was one job that needed more complexity it was black mage. I would hate to think the place BLM would be in now as strong contender for highest single target DPS with the simplicity of the 2.x rotation.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

The annoying thing about Enochian for me is less that it's more complex and more that it's tied to a cooldown. Take Bis Ex. Now maybe (probably?) I was doing this wrong, but if I started the fight with eno up, there seemed to be a pretty decent chance that it would fall off in the pause before the carapace phases and still be cooling down when I needed it most. So I'm left with mucking about with the 50 rotation. Plus, there's also getting tanks that pull too slowly for me to keep my eno stack up, but too quickly for it to cool down for every pull.

My dream fixes for Enochian would be:

Reduce the cooldown to say, 30 seconds. Maybe reduce the duration as well to keep the buff juggling idea alive?

or

Remove the diminishing returns on Blizzard IV, let BLMS keep it up like DRGs can.

or (And this isn't happening)

Throw out Enochian altogether and just keep the Fire IV not renewing Astral Fire thing for the complexity. I also wish Blood of the Dragon worked like Greased Lightning and activated whenever you used a combod

2.x BLMs were kinda simple in hindsight, though.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I liked the simplicity of Black Mage... but I'm probably in the minority.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I liked it too. Playing BLM well still wasn't easy, what with all the casted skills.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

You can buy the game outside of Steam and then run it through Steam if all you want is in-house streaming and the Steam overlay. You don't need to buy it through Steam for that, just create a shortcut in Steam and run it via that.

Oh, and I guess they're doing the letter from the producer live thing right now if anyone cares.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's worth noting that the base game is currently $4 on Humble, on top of having been in the SquEnix Christmas surprise bundle. Non-Steam, which means you're not getting shafted on Heavensward's price either if you get it later.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Live Letter summary is up, everything sounds reasonable: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/276368

TL;DR:

Gordian weapons should have been 215, concerns about 210 weapons led them to drag their heels on Eso 210 and Anima.
Diadem 1.0 was pretty bad, look forward to a more structured system. Diadem gear being 210 was also a mistake because of the demand for strong 210 gear.

quote:

To repeat what I said earlier, we made mistakes with the setting of the difficulty for Alexander: Gordias (Savage) and the item level of the rewards, which affected the content that came afterwards leading up to Patch 3.15. We are reflecting on this problem, and based on everyone’s feedback we will be revamping the balance of the game from Patch 3.2 onwards.

As always, thank you very much for your feedback and support!

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
And then there's this absolute gem from that thread, regarding Diadem:

quote:

Reduce the content time, and turn it into content that does not rely greatly on player skill.

Please look forward to mindless farming that requires no player skill!

He also basically says to suck it up for the Anima relic grind, it ain't being nerfed.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think the newly added Monk abilities worked out pretty well. Granted, I never use the TP restore that takes a full Chakra charge, but everything else is rather nice. Of course, with they way they designed the Monk rotations they couldn't really add new abilities the way they did for say, Dragoon. The post-60 storyline for Monk was....okay I guess, but the new abilities seem well designed for the class.

But goddamn if Elixir Field isn't still my favorite new ability.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
Next primal announced.

It's Fiend. They're going by the actual names of the primals. Fiend is Sephiroth, Demon will be Zurvan, Goddess will be Sophia.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Hopefully they keep the XI staff that did 3.10 and 3.15 far away from 3.2.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm hype for Amdapor City Hard.

I'm not hype they they seem to have dropped the ball completely with relics. Welp,

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

From this post: http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/276368-The-Current-Status-of-FFXIV-Patch-3.1-and-How-to-Address-it-Moving-Forward

quote:

However, due to the fact that the item level for Alexander: Gordias (Savage) is 210, we were unable to make the current Anima weapons any higher than this, which resulted in concerns being raised about Esoteric weapons and the lifetime of weapons that are to be implemented in Patch 3.2. Furthermore, with the difficulty of Savage being very high, Anima weapons have become the sole option for obtaining item level 210 weapons for some, and we understand there is an issue with there being no other options.

With these weapons starting at item level 170, players who have joined the game later can quickly reach item level 200 without having to rely on the weekly limited Esoterics. Additionally, in regards to collecting crystals through FATEs, using feedback from the 2.X period, we eliminated the job restrictions, removed level restrictions, and prepared multiple avenues for obtaining items, so players are able to collect items how they want.

With all that said though, we will be revamping the item level hierarchy in Patch 3.2 and making adjustments so the flow afterwards is more fitting. The next phases for enhancing Anima weapons will take place in Patch 3.25 and Patch 3.3.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The Grimace posted:

I liked the simplicity of Black Mage... but I'm probably in the minority.

Nah I way preferred 2.0 blm. I like simpler classes, I loved Vanilla-WotLK Fury war in WoW for example. :v: At least drg is straightforward, if not as cool as blm.

Emzedoh posted:

Remove the diminishing returns on Blizzard IV, let BLMS keep it up like DRGs can.

or (And this isn't happening)

Throw out Enochian altogether and just keep the Fire IV not renewing Astral Fire thing for the complexity. I also wish Blood of the Dragon worked like Greased Lightning and activated whenever you used a combod

2.x BLMs were kinda simple in hindsight, though.

Either of those would be great. I'd love them ditching the cooldown aspects entirely, but yeah, wouldn't happen sadly. 30s default refresh would be fine, as the limiter is still your mp, so the extra duration just gives you more time to react to stuff. And I dunno, I wish Thundercloud would also refresh Astral Fire, as I don't like the fact that basically you can only use your proc at a specific point in your rotation due to all the timers you are juggling. All poo poo that won't happen sadly.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I'm glad that Yoshi-p is finally starting to admit that pretty much everything they've released since HW launch has been absolute rear end. The bad news is they're not planning to fix it for the next several months and haven't announced they don't plan to go forward with the materia change. This means they're only just starting to see that they've gone full retard and it'll probably still be poo poo in 3.2.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a spare ARR PC key from the Humble Bundle, fire me a PM if you want it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 23, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Belzac posted:

I'm glad that Yoshi-p is finally starting to admit that pretty much everything they've released since HW launch has been absolute rear end. The bad news is they're not planning to fix it for the next several months and haven't announced they don't plan to go forward with the materia change. This means they're only just starting to see that they've gone full retard and it'll probably still be poo poo in 3.2.

I totally forgot about that and I really, really loving hope it doesn't go through. :suicide: Especially because once it's in, it's in and they are not taking it back, due to players having to pay to put materia in their poo poo.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have a spare ARR PC key from the Humble Bundle, fire me a PM if you want it.

Yeah, same here.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Remind me what the planned materia changes are again

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Hivac posted:

if I remember, "blue" gear such as those you get from Tomestone trade ins will have Materia slots.

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Hivac posted:

IIRC, blue/tomestone raid gear will have slots that you can put materia into. You won't be able to overmeld this gear. Additionally, you won't be able to overmeld primary stats (STR, VIT, etc) on green gear, though you can still overmeld stuff like crit and det and junk.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
im super glad i only spent five bucks on this piece of poo poo that i cant even try out. the loading screen is pretty though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

im super glad i only spent five bucks on this piece of poo poo that i cant even try out. the loading screen is pretty though.

The symptoms you've been describing are almost certainly indicative of a firewall/router issue, which is 100% under your control.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

I'm trying to coax a buddy into FF14 so I'll take an excess ARR code. I don't have PMs though, could you send it to removed ? Much appreciated :)

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 29, 2015

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
It's nice to see that they seem to be taking the criticisms seriously and are not just ignoring the frustrations of players.

Also, he let slip that Alexander 2 is named Midas. Maybe we'll get blinged out solid gold armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
I also got an extra FFXIV:ARR code if any goons or friends of goons want it. Only stipulation is they have to roll on Balmung as a catgirl.

• Locked thread