Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klewer
Dec 26, 2012

I don't know much about old FF games but people have been preemptively calling the next Alexander tier Midas for months. It's probably pretty obvious knowledge from an older game (FF9?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
They said between second coil and final coil in difficulty for Midas Savage? That seems like an odd description.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

MikeyLikesIt posted:

I also got an extra FFXIV:ARR code if any goons or friends of goons want it. Only stipulation is they have to roll on Balmung as a catgirl.

Why would you do this to anyone?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Adventure Pigeon posted:

They said between second coil and final coil in difficulty for Midas Savage? That seems like an odd description.

T8&9 were quite a bit more difficult than 12&13, but nowhere near as ridiculous as A3S and A4S. They want people to actually play and clear savage, but they don't want immediate world firsts on the final boss like they did with Bahamut.

I'm not even sure that A4S is really a problem. I mean there are some ridiculous mechanics in that fight, but there are multiple avenues to clear. A3S allows for pretty much no recovery from any mistakes. Every mechanic is a wipe mechanic. I dunno maybe my opinion will change when we get the A4S clear, but it's so loving nice to step into that arena rather than to stare at that god drat puddle again all night.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The high dps checks means that if your group is not performing near the max levels of dps a class can do then you have to play that much more perfectly to make up for the lost dps. With a group that is amazing at dps you can make plenty of mistakes and still clear A3S. It's this weird backwards curve of difficulty where the better you are the less playing well matters but if your not good you have to play perfectly every time.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It saddens me that he did not address the main issue , we want NEW content for relic not go back and carry people though old content! I wish the entire player base realized this. I refuse to carry anyone..so I ONLY do my relic stuff with FC members only. Imagine if no one did the old trials and stuff..how would new people progress? They would get frustrated and probably quit. Meh...need to find another way to entice people to do old content, not relic..which is a classic Final Fantasy item that is not meant to be gimp by any means.

Well, at least he said they read the feedback...hopefully they check this thread. NEW CONTENT PLEASE not old carry stuff ^^;

I honestly have no clue what they're trying to argue.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Belzac posted:

The high dps checks means that if your group is not performing near the max levels of dps a class can do then you have to play that much more perfectly to make up for the lost dps. With a group that is amazing at dps you can make plenty of mistakes and still clear A3S. It's this weird backwards curve of difficulty where the better you are the less playing well matters but if your not good you have to play perfectly every time.

Some mistakes are recoverable, but many are not. No amount of DPS matters if LL gets a damage stack for the final phase. We're at a point where a couple of deaths or a DPS digititis fuckup doesn't necessarily mean a wipe, but some mechanics in there still allow for zero error.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Technogeek posted:

I honestly have no clue what they're trying to argue.

Holy gently caress that's hard to parse. My take on it is: "Relics should be a unique quest through unique areas/dungeons/whatever, that are exclusive to relics only. NO relic progress should be tied to doing any old fates/dungeons/raids/beast tribes/crafting, etc. Though, there does need to be incentive for people to run that old stuff. So the dev team needs to create some other reward system for doing old content. BUT IT CANNOT BE RELICS! THAT WORD IS SACRED."

I think that's what he's saying.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm 15/18 on my new atma now and honestly it hasn't been that bad. The fate parties forming has made for a fun thing to do, grouping with some random people and running around a zone. Sometimes it gets really lovely when you haven't gotten anything in awhile, but the drop rate doesn't seem to bad overall. I really wish they'd implement an increasing chance droprate for these things (Start at 10%, going up by some sort of % if you don't get a drop after each fate you complete, resetting when you get your next drop). It would keep it the same for lucky/normal people, but would assure people that go hours without anything that they won't be stranded forever and you'd also know that the longer you go, the better your changes get.

Not looking forward to the step after the dungeons, but I can now get a i200 weapon soon (spent my ESO on armor pieces since I'm close) and chip away at the i210, hopefully finishing up around 3.2ish

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Not sure what the best place to put this is, but it makes more sense to post it here than to ask in FC since there's no telling who is a crafter, no way to ask people who aren't logged in, and no way to ask the other goon FCs:

I just hit 30 and got my Warrior soul, and my armor is a whole mish-mash of levels and whatnot. My weapon is the 30 marauder weapon so that will probably (?) suffice for now. Can anyone craft me a decent set of gear? I can cover cost of materials, and/or donate a bunch of miscellaneous poo poo I've collected so far since I haven't sold any of it and my inventory is getting full. I wouldn't know where to start trying to buy it myself from the market, and I don't know who is and is not a crafter, plus I feel bad sending random whispers demanding gear.

Character name is Brawn Strongface, I'm in DGKK.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Stop worrying about gear. If you need some, go to a vendor and by some. Sell your old poo poo. You probably don't need new gear anyway though.

EDIT: Just looking at your gear on lodestone, you're fine. You'll get gear from quests. If you're really concerned, buy some from a vendor, but stop stressing.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Mordiceius posted:

Holy gently caress that's hard to parse. My take on it is: "Relics should be a unique quest through unique areas/dungeons/whatever, that are exclusive to relics only. NO relic progress should be tied to doing any old fates/dungeons/raids/beast tribes/crafting, etc. Though, there does need to be incentive for people to run that old stuff. So the dev team needs to create some other reward system for doing old content. BUT IT CANNOT BE RELICS! THAT WORD IS SACRED."

I think that's what he's saying.

Don't forget his claim that relics are a time honoured final fantasy tradition despite being introduced as a system for the first time in final fantasy xi, that one all the FF fans obviously played

LordNat
May 16, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Don't forget his claim that relics are a time honoured final fantasy tradition despite being introduced as a system for the first time in final fantasy xi, that one all the FF fans obviously played

Most FF games have some kind of post game "Relic" you can find. That is likely what he means.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

LordNat posted:

Most FF games have some kind of post game "Relic" you can find. That is likely what he means.

Which often has you replaying old content in the game. :laugh:

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
The only major-ish non-mmo FF game I can recall with something like relics - that is, a piece of gear that starts off weak but which you progressively grow by various means until it becomes amazing - is Dirge of Cerberus.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

dromal phrenia posted:

Not sure what the best place to put this is, but it makes more sense to post it here than to ask in FC since there's no telling who is a crafter, no way to ask people who aren't logged in, and no way to ask the other goon FCs:

I just hit 30 and got my Warrior soul, and my armor is a whole mish-mash of levels and whatnot. My weapon is the 30 marauder weapon so that will probably (?) suffice for now. Can anyone craft me a decent set of gear? I can cover cost of materials, and/or donate a bunch of miscellaneous poo poo I've collected so far since I haven't sold any of it and my inventory is getting full. I wouldn't know where to start trying to buy it myself from the market, and I don't know who is and is not a crafter, plus I feel bad sending random whispers demanding gear.

Crafted is good, but for armor and accessories, just hit up any of Camp Tranquil, Camp Overlook, Costa del Sol, or Forgotten Springs. They've all got the level 30 set for sale.

For weapon, go to your Grand Company and buy the level 30 weapon for seals, that's the best weapon you can have right now and your weapon is the most important thing.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

dromal phrenia posted:

Right click on them in the FC list and view their search info. It'll show all their job levels, including crafting and gathering jobs. Now, they may not have gear lying around or may not be interested in helping you (I'd start by checking people you've already had friendly interactions with), but that'll at least let you see who is technically capable of making the things you want.

For the record, for gear up to level 50, your axes will come from a blacksmith (anvil icon), most of your armor will come from an armorer (helmet icon), and sometimes your pants will come from a weaver (spool of thread icon).

Pre-50 quests will kit you out in level-appropriate normal-quality gear (while any vaguely competent high-ish level crafter should be able to effortlessly poo poo out high-quality gear for your level), and you may outlevel that gear too. So there's merit in checking with a crafter bud in that range. There's a new set of tank leftside armor every multiple of 5 levels like clockwork from 15 to 40. Fortunately or unfortunately, every alternating set of that is a tin can outfit.

Axes aren't quite so consistent on the every 5 levels thing, but keep them up to date too. Threat scales with the damage you do, and the number one contributor to the damage you do is the weapon damage stat on your weapon, which in turn basically boils down to item level and - if crafted - whether or not it's high-quality.

Your 45 and 50 job quests, followed by the level 50 main story quests, followed by the Heavensward 50-60 main story and sidequests, will take very good care of your gear after that.

LordNat
May 16, 2009

kafziel posted:

The only major-ish non-mmo FF game I can recall with something like relics - that is, a piece of gear that starts off weak but which you progressively grow by various means until it becomes amazing - is Dirge of Cerberus.

FF10's end game weapons kind of did that.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Thanks for the advice Vil and Kafziel

Mordiceius posted:

EDIT: Just looking at your gear on lodestone, you're fine. You'll get gear from quests. If you're really concerned, buy some from a vendor, but stop stressing.
When can I upgrade my legs and boots because right now I have some stupid legs that fill both slots and it's making me upset that I have no boots. A nice goon gave me money yesterday and told me to buy some shoes :(

It would have been nice when I chose the quest reward if the legs said "this number seems like an insane upgrade but it takes up two slots"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

dromal phrenia posted:

Thanks for the advice Vil and Kafziel

When can I upgrade my legs and boots because right now I have some stupid legs that fill both slots and it's making me upset that I have no boots. A nice goon gave me money yesterday and told me to buy some shoes :(

It would have been nice when I chose the quest reward if the legs said "this number seems like an insane upgrade but it takes up two slots"

They do. :P

"Cannot Equip Gear to Feet"

Go to one of the areas listed above and just buy some gear. Will probably cost you about 5k-10k gil.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Klewer posted:

I don't know much about old FF games but people have been preemptively calling the next Alexander tier Midas for months. It's probably pretty obvious knowledge from an older game (FF9?).

Gordias was the father of Midas, who is the father of Lityerses. Now I have spoiled the names for all the Alexander raids for you!!!

MikeyLikesIt
Sep 25, 2012
I'm just patiently waiting for the next 24 man raid. I enjoyed the story that Void Ark opened up.

rudejerk
Jul 22, 2014

Actual Shit
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

A3S allows for pretty much no recovery from any mistakes. Every mechanic is a wipe mechanic. I dunno maybe my opinion will change when we get the A4S clear, but it's so loving nice to step into that arena rather than to stare at that god drat puddle again all night.

:rolleyes:

dromal phrenia posted:

Generally asking in DGKK FC chat results in someone being willing to help you out with crafting. If you actually need someone my name in game is Rude Jerk and I'll craft whatever you want for you - if you can't find me bug Setalla or someone to bitch at me on Discord because I'm probably playing something else.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Alternatively just ask in FC chat if somebody can make you x level of y role gear. The worst you'll get is silence and you can keep using vendor/quest/mb gear to level. There's plenty of crafters that'll make HQ poo poo to help somebody out / because they're bored.

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]
Are any of the two-slot equipment pieces ever good, or is this just a bizarre newbie trap?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, they make cutscenes hilarious, so I wouldn't say they're *completely* a trap.... :shrug: (Yes.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ugly John posted:

Are any of the two-slot equipment pieces ever good, or is this just a bizarre newbie trap?

They're all good at their respective levels.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, they make cutscenes hilarious, so I wouldn't say they're *completely* a trap.... :shrug: (Yes.)

AAR 2.55 story spoilers

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...

Ugly John posted:

They're approximately equal to the two-slot pieces at the same ilevel.

So it's all a wash, really.

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Kaebora posted:

IIRC, blue/tomestone raid gear will have slots that you can put materia into. You won't be able to overmeld this gear. Additionally, you won't be able to overmeld primary stats (STR, VIT, etc) on green gear, though you can still overmeld stuff like crit and det and junk.

I believe you can overmeld them, just not with primary stat (str, vit, int, etc) materia. Primary stat materia can still be melded into the regular slots but they explicitly stated they can't be overmelded in, since the goal was to prevent everyone being forced to use crafted accessories with mainstat/vit overmelded into it to the cap.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey, if I picked up the new Relic quest but changed my mind about the job I wanna get a relic for, do I just need to abandon the quest, pick it up on the other job and just keep trucking with the 8/18 crystals I have? Or would I be shooting myself in the foot somehow?

Also, I have my level 60 Dark Knight and, while I don't think that I'm bad I tend to get anxious worrying about how I'm doing, especially with big pulls. Are there any good guides I can read up on when best to use what cool downs, pitfalls to avoid, that sort of thing?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

i am tim! posted:

Hey, if I picked up the new Relic quest but changed my mind about the job I wanna get a relic for, do I just need to abandon the quest, pick it up on the other job and just keep trucking with the 8/18 crystals I have? Or would I be shooting myself in the foot somehow?

Also, I have my level 60 Dark Knight and, while I don't think that I'm bad I tend to get anxious worrying about how I'm doing, especially with big pulls. Are there any good guides I can read up on when best to use what cool downs, pitfalls to avoid, that sort of thing?

The crystals are quest/job independent.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Great, I'll drop it for my Dragoon and pick it up on my Dark Knight. I already have the Esoterics spear, may as well use my relic on a job that only has the law weapon.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's a shame A3S is what it is because mechanically I think it's not a bad fight, but the numbers are too tight for both damage in and damage out for most folks. A4S is actually a lot of fun to learn (until you get to enrage and realize your dps problems, I presume).

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The shear difference in the fights between a great group and a good group is so incredible it's hard to describe. But going from a group with full 210 that routinely took an hour or two every week to reclear A3S and then mostly right as it's enraging with a perfect run to a group with half alts that kills it 3 cascades early with a few gently caress ups on the first pull. Just kinda mind blowing.

A4S pretty much doesn't haven a DPS check as the fight is done an unintended way that gives you way more uptime on the boss. The only real check is the third leg but since it's the only one you can just blow everything on it if you're having trouble meeting it.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008

Belzac posted:

I'm glad that Yoshi-p is finally starting to admit that pretty much everything they've released since HW launch has been absolute rear end. The bad news is they're not planning to fix it for the next several months and haven't announced they don't plan to go forward with the materia change. This means they're only just starting to see that they've gone full retard and it'll probably still be poo poo in 3.2.

It's not in that summary on the OF but during the live letter when talking about Diadem he distinctly mentioned raid gear having materia slots in 3.2

Edit: It's in the fan live translation

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hWJ62SfXfThoeOXE2Nj9u-9wuKovAq615VJiIPSvZ_Q/preview

quote:

As a side note: Materia will be able to slotted into raid gear in 3.2 as they discussed before…(I’m sure this will double back to Diadem)
The Diadem’s reward rate for Materia is there to support this new system.

Fishious fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 23, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
As I said, the healing can't begin till he realizes it's all poo poo and he should stop.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I am so god drat excited to revisit Amdapor. I want a jukebox for my room with Lost City's song.

Also I love that your actions there actually had consequences. Sorry for all the trouble, Cat poo poo. Thankfully saving the world is my gig anyway.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i just did a 50 minute aery for my that relic quest

i forgot to equip it when leaving :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009
After being away from the game for about 2 weeks I realized that FF14 is another one of those MMO's that likely won't "survive" it's first expansion.
There will still be a player base of the ultra low end lifers (like the people who have been playing WoW since release and still never gotten to max level) and the ultra high end grinders. What will die is the middle players that make up most the mass of a game. Once it's player mass starts to drop there is not the constant drive for new people to join in. Like they say "Nothing draws a crowd like a crowd".

Other good examples of this are GW2, Rift, Age of Conan, etc. You really need to hit the mark with that 2nt big wave a content to keep the momentum going.

I think the FF14 devs have forgot what really made new content fun and are taking a lazier and softer path.

Anyways all that said I have been sucked back into EVE again so I am a crazy person and these are the rantings of a mad man.

• Locked thread