Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
They say he's a menace but I love him is pretty much permanently printed in my brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Rugrat's greatest hero was the actor playing the lead in Reptar on ice. He kept kayfabe long after most actors would have broken character.

Would not be surprised it's because he's barely aware of what's going out outside that costume and has a script to stick to.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah cartoons evolved like most mediums started out silly and one note but became more refined as time passed.

I know people are going to laugh because it’s cartoons but they aren’t actually all that different from anything else

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tiggum posted:

I feel like I've heard this about literally every children's show that isn't strictly for preschoolers.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse has a lot you're not going to get until you're out of college.

Jedit posted:

Not as inspired as you think. I saw Akira referred to as Japanimation when it was basically 100% of all anime available in the West.

I was talking about words like Froob, snack-age etc.

I was making fun of Wade for using an outdated word Japanimation when everyone exclusively uses anime now.

BIG FLUFFY DOG has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Sep 3, 2020

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

In Europe in the 90's we didn't get a lot of cartoons. But we did get Seinfeld with subtitles. Seinfeld, MacGuyver, and Wu Tang.

Looking back it seems like we got the better deal

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tiggum posted:

I feel like I've heard this about literally every children's show that isn't strictly for preschoolers.

i mean, there's probably some selection bias at work here, given the children's shows that end up on your radar as an adult for any reason other than "ugh my kid likes this and it's hot garbage" are gonna be the ones that have some crossover appeal to adults

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

In Europe in the 90's we didn't get a lot of cartoons. But we did get Seinfeld with subtitles. Seinfeld, MacGuyver, and Wu Tang.

Looking back it seems like we got the better deal

In Ireland in the late '80s we got some really really weird poo poo - like political cartoons from behind the Iron Curtain about totalitarianism and the eradication of individuality that in retrospect, were deeply political and absolutely not aimed at children but were assumed to be for kids by irish broadcasters because 'cartoons=kids'

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Pookah posted:

In Ireland in the late '80s we got some really really weird poo poo - like political cartoons from behind the Iron Curtain about totalitarianism and the eradication of individuality that in retrospect, were deeply political and absolutely not aimed at children but were assumed to be for kids by irish broadcasters because 'cartoons=kids'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyxYdj9dGcI

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I liked the Recess episode where they were going to tear down the old playground and all of the parents, who also all apparently went to that school and played on that playground, come out to join the children in protest, climbing up onto the playground (Old Rusty) and singing from it. But their weight causes the playground to collapse and they have to get a new playground anyway (New Rusty)

I think it stuck with me (besides just for the catchiness of the protest chants) because it was kind of cool to see kid characters defending something old and beloved and not just being all about the next new thing

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

sweeperbravo posted:

I liked the Recess episode where they were going to tear down the old playground and all of the parents, who also all apparently went to that school and played on that playground, come out to join the children in protest, climbing up onto the playground (Old Rusty) and singing from it. But their weight causes the playground to collapse and they have to get a new playground anyway (New Rusty)

I think it stuck with me (besides just for the catchiness of the protest chants) because it was kind of cool to see kid characters defending something old and beloved and not just being all about the next new thing

In my actual american recess playround they ripped up all the play equipment shortly before I got to kindergarten, except tetherball poles (tetherballs were only provided once a year), and then ripped those up in sixth grade because one kid ran into one.

I wish this was a story from a cartoon and not my actual elementary experience. I was jealous as gently caress of the Recess kids.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

They replaced the playground equipment with the safer plastic stuff right around 5th grade in my area but to my knowledge the tetherball poles are still there (and have tetherballs year round.)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah they tore the cool metal merry go round out of my elementary school right after my year because we would have 10 kids push and take turns jumping into the middle and trying to stay on and some kid broke his arm

damnit Bert

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
My playground in elementary school was a terrifying mass of metal in Texas. We regularly burned the poo poo out of ourselves.

It owned.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A thing that didn't age well was the shiny aluminum slide in every playground that burned kids every sunny day between May and October.

Or maybe it aged really well, since it was always so shiny.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When I was in kindergarten they had a jungle gym dome thing but it had metal bars inside too and I fell from the top hitting multiple metal bars on my way down and the teacher who got to me said "you're alright" and left me there.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Captain Monkey posted:

My playground in elementary school was a terrifying mass of metal in Texas. We regularly burned the poo poo out of ourselves.

It owned.

Same thing here in southern Georgia.

Solid steel merry-go-round and slide. Monkey bars wth exposed rusty ends and no padding underneath except the hard, unforgiving, gravel-embedded ground.

We even had a fancy sprial slide with untreated edges and a girl I know sliced the gently caress out of her hands on it one time.

Mister Kingdom has a new favorite as of 01:39 on Sep 4, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I broke my collarbone while using playground equipment two different times in elementary school. To be somewhat fair I was and am an enormous klutz. I also remember another kid falling off the monkey bars and breaking his wrist. It all sounds completely insane in retrospect.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
There was a swingset in a nearby park where I grew up in the 80's, where they had put a low picket fence around it and of course we all took turns trying to swing as high as possible and jump clear of the fence. I'm amazed none of us got impaled on it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Push El Burrito posted:

When I was in kindergarten they had a jungle gym dome thing but it had metal bars inside too and I fell from the top hitting multiple metal bars on my way down and the teacher who got to me said "you're alright" and left me there.

We had one of those too and I, of course fell from the very top and hit everything possible on the way down.

I have no idea how badly I was hurt but my 4 year old brain remembers my fingernails being red from blood underneath the nails.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
At my school we had the "Creative Playground" which was a massive all-wooden structure with a castle tower and slides and ladders and climbing and a fireman's pole and a wood-and-rope bridge. I think there was a movement around those things in the late '70s and '80s, because there's quite a few results with that specific name on google. They took it down around the turn of the millennium and now there's just some plastic swingsets. Sucks.

e: There was also a village playground in a town park which had a giant rocketship made out of metal bars to climb on. Very fun to climb all the way up and then get to the top which was painted a different color and find out the paint had absorbed a ton of sunlight and was burning hot so you lose your grip and fall down the middle of the missile and die lol. They didn't take that out until a couple of years ago, and that wasn't over safety concerns, it was to sell it for scrap metal because nobody used the park anymore

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Laterite posted:

I broke my collarbone while using playground equipment two different times in elementary school. To be somewhat fair I was and am an enormous klutz. I also remember another kid falling off the monkey bars and breaking his wrist. It all sounds completely insane in retrospect.

I feel like I should've clarified in my first playground post that our tetherball posts got removed because the kid ran smack into one and broke his collarbone and had to be taken away in an ambulance. He was fine in the end but to this day I can't decide if I'd laugh at him today. (we all laughed at him at the time)

InediblePenguin posted:

At my school we had the "Creative Playground" which was a massive all-wooden structure with a castle tower and slides and ladders and climbing and a fireman's pole and a wood-and-rope bridge. I think there was a movement around those things in the late '70s and '80s, because there's quite a few results with that specific name on google. They took it down around the turn of the millennium and now there's just some plastic swingsets. Sucks.

oh poo poo my town got one of these when I was around 13, 2005ish, but it wasn't called a "creative playground." Definitely that exact setup though. It's still there and it's the only place in town to reliably flag down an ice cream truck. Also in my day and presumably today it's a great place to smoke weed and drink beer after dark if you're the older kind of kid.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:26 on Sep 4, 2020

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

In sixth grade there was a slide in our housing area (overseas military post). The slide part was plywood. I was scooting a Hot Wheel up the slide and jammed a wood splinter half the width of my fingernail right up under my nail, just about reaching the quick.

Good times. Gooooood times.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
In the 90s they made an entire movie with the plotline of 2 guys who think WWE wrestling is real. I can't imagine that even getting past the pitch stage without someone laughing them out of the room.

I remember also some "expose" of the week on one of the networks exposing wrestling as fake. In the early 90s a lot of people hopefully mostly children thought wrestling was real instead of a scripted soap opera.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

pentyne posted:

In the 90s they made an entire movie with the plotline of 2 guys who think WWE wrestling is real. I can't imagine that even getting past the pitch stage without someone laughing them out of the room.

I remember also some "expose" of the week on one of the networks exposing wrestling as fake. In the early 90s a lot of people hopefully mostly children thought wrestling was real instead of a scripted soap opera.

excuse you it was WCW and the movie was called Ready 2 Rumble starring David Arquette

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I learned in preschool about sliding with shorts on, that it'll burn your legs.

Our playground was all kinds of unsafe, from the flip bar that I busted my mouth on, to the tractor tires that attracted mosquitoes after a rain. Two tetherball poles went up on the third grade recess area and the teachers had to institute regulations because it was so popular.

In fifth grade, the boys started a contest to see who could swing highest before jumping out. They were told to stop that, because a kid had jumped and broken both arms. I'm pretty sure that was a lie, not that it mattered because they kept doing it.

Between that, the film strips and ancient reading books, my elementary school years were probably closer to my parents' than they were to kids who were just five years younger.

Here's a media example of sorts: System80.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXi06xoVlYM

It's a record- and punchcard-based learning machine that we occasionally. Punchcards couldn't have been the most stable thing to begin with and a decade of use meant that you never knew if the thing was going to make it or not when you used it.

cunny mcalister
Mar 21, 2004
Somehow less than meets the eye.

pentyne posted:

https://www.goliath.com/sports/donald-trump-apparently-thought-vince-mcmahon-died-in-limo-explosion/

Our big, wet president thought it was real AND he had worked with them over the prior 20 years.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Our playground was all kinds of unsafe, from the flip bar that I busted my mouth on, to the tractor tires that attracted mosquitoes after a rain. Two tetherball poles went up on the third grade recess area and the teachers had to institute regulations because it was so popular.

Our elementary school had a set of parallel bars (though they were pipes suspended between wood posts, so not exactly like these)

The only problem was that there were a ton of girls (I don’t ever remember boys doing it) that loved to do what the first kid does in this GIF on them:

And that worked OK when you were in third grade or whatever. But girls would come back to fifth grade after a growth spurt during summer, try this, and clock themselves.

Finally, one year, a girl did it and didn’t just catch the top of her head - she smashed her mouth right in to the opposing bar, busted up a ton of teeth, and broke her jaw. One of the bars was promptly removed, and the other didn’t survive the year, because kids were still duplicating the second kid from that GIF all the time.

We also had the tractor tires - it was great fun to pop an umbrella over the top and hang out in them in a rainy recess, or to use them as the base for crappy kid igloos when it snowed.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, exactly like this - I had to double-check because I wasn't 100% sure this was a real one or the joke about them. It''s extraordinarily accurate.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ready to Rumble was an extremely stupid film I remember two things about and yet recall fondly

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ilmucche posted:

They say he's a menace but I love him is pretty much permanently printed in my brain

This, but the recycling song from Rocko’s Modern Life.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

i mean, there's probably some selection bias at work here, given the children's shows that end up on your radar as an adult for any reason other than "ugh my kid likes this and it's hot garbage" are gonna be the ones that have some crossover appeal to adults

Can confirm, a lot of kid's programming is still hot garbage, but it's very shiny and well animated hot garbage with decent music, so it's at least got that going for it I guess.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Mine is you can't fight city hall.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mine: https://youtu.be/RS2vNeOg_N4

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

I almost wanted to watch this to see how it applies to the thread title but that song

poo poo it’s already in me

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Can confirm, a lot of kid's programming is still hot garbage, but it's very shiny and well animated hot garbage with decent music, so it's at least got that going for it I guess.

Any specific examples? The only truly insufferable kid’s show I can think of is Paw Patrol and even there I recall reading somewhere that the creator admitted “Yeah, we were lucky to make this at literally the last time in history it would be successful. These days it’s all YouTube”.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Probably about the safest thing in my elementary school playground was this exact model of jungle gym:

It... wasn't over grass though.

Man I spent a LOT of hours crawling all over that thing

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Today we are brothers.

R E C Y C L E recycling

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

C O N S E R V E conserve!

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Don't you P-O-L-L-U-T-E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

pentyne posted:

It's still real to me, dammit