Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Another Person posted:

Also, Launch is such a terrible character. I really dislike any time she is on frame. So happy she fell into obscurity come Z.

She was already well on her way to being on the level of importance as Oolong and Puar near the end of Dragon Ball, but she was still around. I don't really see why she got the axe at the start of Z.

I will freely admit my bias against the English dubs probably stems from my days as a kid surfing the internet and looking at those old Dragon Ball fansites. They pretty much all hated the original Funi/Ocean dub, and one of the millions of reasons for that was their complete removal of the filler scenes that included Launch in the Saiyan Saga. Looking back on it that was actually pretty wise, since Launch did absolutely nothing in Z, so including the filler scenes with her would have just confused viewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

Cruel Rose posted:

"Who is this mysterious new fighter? Find out next time!"

"Piccolo is facing this mysterious stranger Shin in the world tournament. How will he react, what will he do?"

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wonder if that was what the DBZA joke was about when they introduced Freeza.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was way behind with title card jokes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

e X posted:

I wonder if that was what the DBZA joke was about when they introduced Freeza.
I always thought that was a reference to this moment from South Park.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Cool, now I don't need to watch the first half of the episode.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

MastG posted:

Cool, now I don't need to watch the first half of the episode.

I just finished rewatching the Buu saga, which easily has the worst pacing in the entire series. During the descend into the ship, it constantly cuts back to the statues of Krillin and Piccolo and the world tournament, so the 'Previously on' segment basically has the same amount of action as the actual episode.

e X fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 16, 2014

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

crankdatbatman posted:

She was already well on her way to being on the level of importance as Oolong and Puar near the end of Dragon Ball, but she was still around. I don't really see why she got the axe at the start of Z.

She didn't get the axe. Toriyama literally forgot about her.

MastG
May 25, 2014

e X posted:

I just finished rewatching the Buu saga, which easily has the worst pacing in the entire series. During the descend into the ship, it constantly cuts back to the statues of Krillin and Piccolo and the world tournament, so the 'Previously on' segment basically has the same amount of action as the actual episode.

Yeah the pacing is painful how slow it is, but god drat I love Buu and Satan being best friends.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

e X posted:

For awhile, I was only watching every thing episode, and just relying on the "last time on" and "next time on" segments to fill me in. I don't think I really lost anything from it.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

MastG posted:

Yeah the pacing is painful how slow it is, but god drat I love Buu and Satan being best friends.
The series of episodes where Buu and Satan live together and have a pet dog are the best series of episodes in the whole show.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've been reading DBM, and my god the art on it is stunning right now.

I feel like it's really picked up with this latest chapter.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not going to lie, been reading it from the start and im enjoying it. This kind of feels like a natural progression for the absurdity that's DBZ, Where do you go to have a tournament after Heaven? The Multiverse! Who do you fight? Alternatives and variables! :haw:

I also like that Bra has temper issues. Oh you really are your parents daughter huh? :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

The art really only falls behind when covering side-stories and I view those as sort of distractions while work is being done on the main chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, multiverse is great fun. It's kinda dumb, but gently caress, so is the rest of Dragon Ball. They do a lot of neat things with the alternate universes and the hugely varying power levels across the tourney. It's also neat to see a dragon ball thing where Goku's only kind of strong relative to the competition.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Multiverse is awesome. The special chapters fall flat sometimes but overall it's really fun.

Speaking of which, I read Wrong Time last week and that one was fun too, though the art sucks. Shame that the creator seems to have abandoned it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I'm a lot more disappointed that the one about Piccolo and Vegeta filling in for Gohan and Videl apparently got abandoned. Those two are a great pairing, especially when they're totally embarrassed.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Contrast

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's a heck of an improvement, might actually check that out now.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

bowmore posted:

That's a heck of an improvement, might actually check that out now.

That's not an improvements, that are two completely different artists. The back story arcs in between chapters specifically exists to allow the artist some rest and to create a buffer as well as showcasing other artists who don't try to emulate Toriyama's style.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

I'll never understand who thought this was a good idea.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Good Job Vegita you look kind of cool

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
His forearms are longer and wider than his head.

That trunks looks like the kid from that Yaranaika yaoi

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

That trunks looks like the kid from that Yaranaika yaoi

i am a child

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Mordaedil posted:

i am a child

Honestly... it looks better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A few pages later in the same chapter there's a panel where Piccolo pulls the best face in the history of sequential art.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Squallege posted:

I'll never understand who thought this was a good idea.

Foreshortening is for nerds.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

yoyomama posted:

I always loved that moment, I wish that particular piece of characterization stuck around longer in the series. In Dragonball, Goku saves the world throughout the series, but not with as much at stake personally other than the usual saving/avenging friends, beating bad guys, being the strongest, etc. Once he has a family he has to worry about, then for the first time he's personally worried. Contrast that with his fight with Piccolo Sr. (and to an extent, Jr.), where he either doesn't know as much how strong Piccolo Sr. is and what's at stake, and then he has the means to prepare and/or train, but still only knows that he can try to beat him and hopes he wins. There's kind of a ramping up, where he doesn't even know how strong Piccolo Sr. is when he first fights him, knows Piccolo's even stronger but is also stronger too and still ready to kick Piccolo's rear end the second time, training with Kami but still goes into the fight being less sure of his ability to win while ready to give it his all when he fights Piccolo, and feeling like he has barely a chance and needs Piccolo's help when he fights Raditz. Makes sense that he'd be "terrified" of the next set of fighters that Raditz just told him are that much stronger and on their way. And this happens when Goku is first presented as an adult in the series, and this attitude represents a change in his thinking that is more adult-like than his earlier care-free "don't care about how strong the bad guy is" attitude.

Of course, that escalation of power and stakes continues throughout the series, but without the same progression in Goku's attitude, I think. Which also makes sense, since the defining thing about his character is his resilience and keeping up with his training in the face of increasing challenges. That said, that whole first arc is kind of a shake-up of Goku's usual attitude and views (other than trying to befriend someone he's fought); he fights two dudes (Raditz and Vegeta) stronger than him and doesn't definitively win either fight, doesn't fight by himself and needs help from his son and friends, finds out he killed his grandpa, finds out he's an alien and has a (now dead) brother. It's a different kind of challenge than the ones he faced so far, but still, the fact that Goku doesn't give up on saving the world and training even after all this (and including being dead) just reinforces that even as an adult, Goku has that same persistence in adversity that he had as a kid.

Finally read all of the DB/Z manga, and you're correct, this was the only moment where Goku ever showed fear, which is why I found it jarring, but it makes sense when it happens. I agree that it would have been nice if Goku showed more of it throughout the series, but that might have gone counter to his overcoming challenges attitude.

After reading the manga, I must say I'm surprised at how quickly the manga was paced. Memories of the anime's multiple episodes of powering up are handled in chapters or panels here (Goku's SSJ 3 shown to Majin Buu, which is five minutes in the anime, is shown over 20 panels in 4 pages). Toriyama may not have been the best at plotting or planning in advance, but I feel he was pretty good at actually telling his story in chapters and keeping the pace moving, which I feel is something he didn't get enough credit for.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Cozz posted:

Finally read all of the DB/Z manga, and you're correct, this was the only moment where Goku ever showed fear, which is why I found it jarring, but it makes sense when it happens. I agree that it would have been nice if Goku showed more of it throughout the series, but that might have gone counter to his overcoming challenges attitude.

After reading the manga, I must say I'm surprised at how quickly the manga was paced. Memories of the anime's multiple episodes of powering up are handled in chapters or panels here (Goku's SSJ 3 shown to Majin Buu, which is five minutes in the anime, is shown over 20 panels in 4 pages). Toriyama may not have been the best at plotting or planning in advance, but I feel he was pretty good at actually telling his story in chapters and keeping the pace moving, which I feel is something he didn't get enough credit for.

Yeah, Toriyama was actually really good at pacing poo poo out in a way a ton of people he influenced simply aren't. Every chapter has a point and progresses the story in a meaningful way, and you never come away feeling like your time was wasted.

It's hilarious how badly this translated in the original cut of DBZ the anime. Just look at loving Fake Namek for a perfect example of how things went wrong.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's hilarious how badly this translated in the original cut of DBZ the anime. Just look at loving Fake Namek for a perfect example of how things went wrong.

You say it like it was an accident. The manga was still in serialization while the anime was being made, they had to do everything they could to drag the anime out because it would rapidly overtake the manga otherwise.

MastG
May 25, 2014

Yeah, Toriyama was actually really good at pacing poo poo out in a way a ton of people he influenced simply aren't. Every chapter has a point and progresses the story in a meaningful way, and you never come away feeling like your time was wasted.

poo poo like fake Namek is why I really love Kai. None of the bullshit and accurate translations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Oda is the only one of the new crop that has decent pacing.

Well, Fairy Tail has lightspeed pacing, but its quality really suffers from that.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Neo_Crimson posted:

You say it like it was an accident. The manga was still in serialization while the anime was being made, they had to do everything they could to drag the anime out because it would rapidly overtake the manga otherwise.

Throwing in filler wasn't an accident, making it lovely and awful probably was.

MastG posted:

poo poo like fake Namek is why I really love Kai. None of the bullshit and accurate translations.

Yeah, every DBZ fan has a particular few filler moments they missed, but it's certainly better overall. As for the end of lovely DBZ dubs, they will be mourned by all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45kFMOaWAbA

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jun 18, 2014

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
People really loved to badly translate that Cooler movie, huh?

Caros
May 14, 2008

crankdatbatman posted:

People really loved to badly translate that Cooler movie, huh?

With that many supa saiya people it is hard not to.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's getting green up in here.

Big Green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyZbxzRKGV4

Oh, hey you guys might also want to check out the breakdown of DBZA's Cooler 2, seems Kaiserneko hates that movie as much as me. Also, maybe World's Strongest for their next movie? That'd be awesome.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jun 19, 2014

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Dubbing in the era before video editing software was cheap and readily available sure sucked.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mordaedil posted:

Dubbing in the era before video editing software was cheap and readily available sure sucked.

Personally I feel Ocean Group's dubs for the first three DBZ movies were actually pretty good for the time and still hold up reasonably well, also Funimation's VA for Dr Wheelo is rather crap compared to Ocean Group's(who had the perfect megalomaniacal mad scientist ring to it)

Also World's Strongest still holds up rather well, and while it was awesome that Dr Wheelo made it into Budokai Tenkaichi 3, I still want the Bio-Fighters to make it in a DBZ game one of these days(same could be said about most of the mooks in the early DBZ movies, Medamacha would be a blast to play as)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
World's Strongest is seriously really good and makes me wonder what all of the movies could have been like if the power creep wasn't so loving absurd. I'm at least a bit biased due to it being my first DBZ movie, though.

• Locked thread