Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

ratbert90 posted:

Oh hey, have you ever had a transformer get struck by lightning right outside your office?
Let me tell you about jumping 5 feet in the air! Shits LOUD.

Had a tree get struck by lightning about 50ft from my room at my parents place. It was like a flashbang went off right outside my window. My computer monitor (a CRT back then) distorted like someone put an electromagnet on the side and my speakers made a high-pitched squealing noise until I turned them off. Computer was fine oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

hihifellow posted:

Had a tree get struck by lightning about 50ft from my room at my parents place. It was like a flashbang went off right outside my window. My computer monitor (a CRT back then) distorted like someone put an electromagnet on the side and my speakers made a high-pitched squealing noise until I turned them off. Computer was fine oddly enough.

Something extremely similar happened to me. I was at my computer when I was in my parents house, lightning struck the pole about 15' from my window, blinded me for a couple seconds, that pole also had the cable lines, that's the day I learned that comcast did not insulate their modems (this was ~15-16 years ago), it fried the modem, the router, and the NICs in 4 different computers, the computers were fine other than that though thank god.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had a house down the street from our rental house when I was at uni get hit by lightning and take the roof off, which also managed to fry our phone line, VDSL filter, modem, router, switch and a PC.

HP / Apple / BT replaced all of their respective things which was nice, I was only out for the cost of a NIC.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MF_James posted:

Something extremely similar happened to me. I was at my computer when I was in my parents house, lightning struck the pole about 15' from my window, blinded me for a couple seconds, that pole also had the cable lines, that's the day I learned that comcast did not insulate their modems (this was ~15-16 years ago), it fried the modem, the router, and the NICs in 4 different computers, the computers were fine other than that though thank god.

Are you me? I had this happen too, a bit more recently when I was going to college and with Verizon FIOS.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Tab8715 posted:

ASM in all honesty was terrible but ARM is the bee's knees.
ARM's a big improvement, but the split where you still have to do things in both portals, along with the general awfulness of the experience deploying custom images, makes Azure a hard recommendation for anyone outside majority-MS shops. It seems to be getting better quickly, but it's just an insanely complicated product compared to AWS or Google Cloud Platform.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I had to look at our primary database server today and..... it's seen some traffic since the last reboot:

code:
 RX bytes:146964103532498 (133.6 TiB) TX bytes:581729488739389 (529.0 TiB)
:staredog: :staredog: :staredog:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Vulture Culture posted:

ARM's a big improvement, but the split where you still have to do things in both portals, along with the general awfulness of the experience deploying custom images, makes Azure a hard recommendation for anyone outside majority-MS shops. It seems to be getting better quickly, but it's just an insanely complicated product compared to AWS or Google Cloud Platform.

There's an incredibly small subset of actions that need to be take in the old portal. Image deployment would be easier with a GUI but you've probably already scripted that out anyhow.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
That's loving dumb anyway. Currency is a store of value that can be used at any time, instead of a direct exchange of goods and services. If I do an hours worth of labor I don't want to immediately take possession of 24 dozen eggs in exchange.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
That's literally what the gently caress money is. It looks like that website was dreamed up by one of the three people who don't know that.

I work for an hour. That gives me the units which I then exchange for various goods and services. Some jobs get more units than others due to higher skillset or higher demands. These units, we could call them so many things, but just spitballing here, why don't we call them money.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

That's literally what the gently caress money is. It looks like that website was dreamed up by one of the three people who don't know that.

I work for an hour. That gives me the units which I then exchange for various goods and services. Some jobs get more units than others due to higher skillset or higher demands. These units, we could call them so many things, but just spitballing here, why don't we call them money.

There's a new alt-currency that's based on that principle:

https://www.reddit.com/r/actualmoney/top/

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

adorai posted:

That's loving dumb anyway. Currency is a store of value that can be used at any time, instead of a direct exchange of goods and services. If I do an hours worth of labor I don't want to immediately take possession of 24 dozen eggs in exchange.

It's bartering, there's nothing new going on there.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

It's bartering, there's nothing new going on there.

I do it all the time. I bring a bag of routers and network cables everytime I travel to an AirBnB, I usually get a free day(100+$), and my wifi at the location doesnt suck, it's completely self serving. .

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There's a lot more than three people who don't understand how money and capital work.

BlueBlazer posted:

I do it all the time. I bring a bag of routers and network cables everytime I travel to an AirBnB, I usually get a free day(100+$), and my wifi at the location doesnt suck, it's completely self serving. .

You get more $$/pound with your AirBnBs out of a pack of condoms. :pervert:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

DevOps people: how do I get into that? Also, do most places really just use it as a buzzword without knowing what it means, or is that standard goon hyperbole?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've been in devops for 4 years and barely know powershell. Neither of these statements are an exaggeration.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

22 Eargesplitten posted:

DevOps people: how do I get into that? Also, do most places really just use it as a buzzword without knowing what it means, or is that standard goon hyperbole?
Probably used as a buzzword more often than not.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The vast majority of places using this language in job postings have absolutely no clue what they are hiring for.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Devops is the new cloud.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

DevOps is essentially two things, the first being to script and automating everything. The other is to have IT a more integral part of the business as opposed to management asking for a 99.95% SLA and viewed a cost center.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

I joined a DevOps team that really meant Infrastructure team and it took 3 managers over 2 years to fix that naming problem.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

As noted, DevOps is one of those ephemeral things that companies like to hop onto bandwagons about.

Used properly, e.g. you have IT embedded in each area of the business specifically for operating needs/projects/what-have-you that interfaces with the main trunk of IT within set guidelines, it's a great and very powerful tool. Most companies, however, seem to think DevOps is a way to save money by paying administrative assistant who's good with Word to manage the IT for an entire division of a company.

No joke, about two years ago, I was approached to help sort out the mess at a company who did this. One division was basically living in the 1980s while the rest of the company was in the early 2000s to the 2010's, depending on division. The bad division had their IT "managed" by the Division Presidents' admin, and he basically used it as his own power trip. I gave them the review they wanted, but apparently it died in politicking after I left. The DP thought that his technology program was "best in class" and threatened the board with a significant drop in revenue and profit from his division if they went with the suggestions I had laid out.

I had honestly forgotten about it until lunch in Vegas a month ago, where a friend told me that he had done the same thing for that company, and was apparently the fifth such consultant that had given them more or less the same "this poo poo is wrong and should be fixed" report.. :v:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tab8715 posted:

DevOps is essentially two things, the first being to script and automating everything. The other is to have IT a more integral part of the business as opposed to management asking for a 99.95% SLA and viewed a cost center.

It's also what you get when you fire your IT staff and make the developers do tech support for your marketing and finance people. What's that, sales guy, you clicked on a link in a blatantly fake email and now your powerpoint presentation is hiding behind thousands of cocks on your desktop? Sure, I'll stop writing code and get that fixed for you.

Cost efficient AND a great way to retain developers! :shepicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arsten posted:

I had honestly forgotten about it until lunch in Vegas a month ago, where a friend told me that he had done the same thing for that company, and was apparently the fifth such consultant that had given them more or less the same "this poo poo is wrong and should be fixed" report.. :v:

Were they going for best of 11?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fartt

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 23, 2018

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Chickenwalker posted:

I bet this is a really dumb question, but is it possible to dictate a client's routing based on group policy? For instance, we have three physically distinct networks. One has to stay physically segregated because it can only tolerate certain traffic, but the other two aren't as sensitive. Still, we want to limit who has access to what. Certain machines need to be segregated from the open internet while retaining access to servers while for other machines the exact opposite is true, and shades of grey in between.

What's the easiest way to administer and achieve that? Seems to me like policy based routing and then providing clients with different gateways depending on what group they belong to?

It would be relatively straightforward to modify's a hosts route table with a simple script but this might get iffy depending on complexity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The easiest way to handle that is to put the machines in different subnets and apply ACLs to control the traffic flowing between them.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Were they going for best of 11?

Companies that hire consultants for executive-level shenanigans will get cycled through until the right people hear what they want to hear.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I want to get something printed on a dot matrix printer for a gag. Anyone have any ideas (or one in storage that you could hook up for me?). It's not something I want to spend more than a buck or two on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Dot matrix font and some piss-thin paper?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Not sure how I got stumped on a basic networking question this morning but when I'm apply an ACL between two networks do I need to include the ephemeral ports?

Example

Example, AD on is the Backend Network and I'm trying to limit the amount of exposure. Would I create a rule to allow things like 123,135,464,etc to allow INBOUND from Frontend on the Backend Network but would I additionally allow 1024-65535 Outbound to Frontend?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Just allow related/established traffic and let the router handle that for you (permit tcp any any established)

Edit: or use a reflexive ACL?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 15, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

Not sure how I got stumped on a basic networking question this morning but when I'm apply an ACL between two networks do I need to include the ephemeral ports?

Example

Example, AD on is the Backend Network and I'm trying to limit the amount of exposure. Would I create a rule to allow things like 123,135,464,etc to allow INBOUND from Frontend on the Backend Network but would I additionally allow 1024-65535 Outbound to Frontend?
Isn't that the "state" part of a stateful firewall?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Automating everything is pretty much exactly what I want to do for now. I love automating stuff whenever it's practical. Also, the newbie programming thread said DevOps is the best way to transition from infrastructure to programming, which is what I really want to do.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Automating everything is pretty much exactly what I want to do for now. I love automating stuff whenever it's practical. Also, the newbie programming thread said DevOps is the best way to transition from infrastructure to programming, which is what I really want to do.

The most common routes I've seen based on face to face networking are either devs transitioning into DevOps or sysadmins who can code.

Why not try to just apply for a dev job now?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have been. Nobody wants to hire someone with no Bachelor's degree or professional experience in coding. That's part of why I have been scripting repetitive work. The other part is not wanting to do the same thing over and over on 30-40 computers.

I haven't applied to any since I got my AS, maybe that will help. I might also have to move to Boulder, the job market there is way better for entry level positions.

I want to stay at this place for at least a year, though. I've never been at a job that long.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 15, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I want to stay at this place for at least a year, though. I've never been at a job that long.

I'm the same way, and I am sure that is part of what hurts me when I am job hunting.

E: Can someone point me to a practical python tutorial? Something that approaches it from the way a sysadmin would be using it(to interact with files) instead of more esoteric stuff like making a program to grade papers?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah. One job I had to bail on at 11 months because I was really overworked while also going to school, one contract didn't get renewed at 9 months, and the 2 non-IT jobs both shut their doors after 2 months. I guess 11 months is pretty close to a year, and a contract ending isn't my fault, but it still looks bad.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Python.org's Tutorial is decent for wrapping your head around the basics. After that just have the Library Reference open in another window (you want section 11 for file manipulation, for example) until you get the hang of things.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That thread has been in a tizzy about the definition of DevOps since your question.

RFC2324 posted:

E: Can someone point me to a practical python tutorial? Something that approaches it from the way a sysadmin would be using it(to interact with files) instead of more esoteric stuff like making a program to grade papers?

https://automatetheboringstuff.com/