Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt Underpants
Nov 19, 2008

Simply Irresistible
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah, I hope the game comes out just to see the panic once dudes who are solo-running their $500 spergboats realize that a half-dozen one idiots in an Auroras can take them out due to combined fire and the barest of tactics ramming speed.

Fixed that for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Quantum Drive needs to be an animated 3D goatse stretched across the screen that you fly through.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DancingShade posted:

Quantum Drive needs to be an animated 3D goatse stretched across the screen that you fly through.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Cpt Underpants posted:

Finally got to watch the Gamescon presentation. I'm timezonally challenged and was busy this weekend, plus who can take more than a few minutes at a time of this drivel?

Time for some RealTalk™. Star Citizen, at its current finance level can not deliver. I actually agree with Doctor Derek Smart here that SC as promised is at least a 150m game. Having said that, what I've seen in the presentation has given me the slightest glimmer of hope it will actually come out at some point and an inkling of positivity towards the project.

My biggest complaint at this stage is that they're doing the smart business thing. They're holding poo poo back for a polished marketing release rather than keeping backers up to date as promised. That alone may actually mean they get to the revenue target to get the game out the door.

I deeply regret how much money I've put into this game, I'm currently at a net spend of about $150 from an original outlay of nearly $700. If I had my time over without knowing about the grey market, I would have bought in at $35, sold that for $100 and bought another $35 non-LTI package. Needless to say, I'm very unlikely to put in another cent to this project unless I can be guaranteed to make money from it.

The Star Citizen community has some of the biggest shitlords I've ever encountered in any community in the >25 years I've been on the internet. It also has some extremely chillbros who almost make up for it.

If this game delivers as promised, teamwork is going to be OP as gently caress. Find a group which gets along with each other. I don't care if that is Goonrathi, Starfleet Dental or even TEST. If they work well as a group they'll have a huge domination in the game.

Tears: Guaranteed. Either the game will die in a fire fuelled by the tragedy of a million space nerds ~OR~ it will be so dependent on teamwork so badly that solo players will be a :qq: waiting to happen.

I think at this point CIG realizes their burn rate is exceeding their income and is really pushing to get SQ42 done first. However if SQ42 hits store shelves sometime between now and Q4 2016 they'll probably make a boatload of money and it will fun them well past the $150 million level. Nearly all of CIG's problems relate to multiplayer, and SQ42 does not have that problem.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Eldragon posted:

I think at this point CIG realizes their burn rate is exceeding their income and is really pushing to get SQ42 done first. However if SQ42 hits store shelves sometime between now and Q4 2016 they'll probably make a boatload of money and it will fun them well past the $150 million level. Nearly all of CIG's problems relate to multiplayer, and SQ42 does not have that problem.

You think so? I wonder how many people there are who would buy SQ42 who are not already backers with access to it? I have no real idea, just curious.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm thinking most people out there aren't interesting in preordering something they might play in 2 years, but are interesting in buying something they can play *now*. It depends on if the game is fun though, people won't play an un-fun game.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

imperialparadox posted:

You think so? I wonder how many people there are who would buy SQ42 who are not already backers with access to it? I have no real idea, just curious.

I'm inclined to think if they do a campaign at least as good as previous wing commander games, it would sell to a lot of people who aren't into the kickstarter/early backer thing. Pillars of Eternity got good reviews, and sold a lot of copies beyond just those to the initial backers. Of course CIG would actually have to spend money on marketing, and I have no evidence to back any of this up.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Truga posted:

I'm thinking most people out there aren't interesting in preordering something they might play in 2 years, but are interesting in buying something they can play *now*. It depends on if the game is fun though, people won't play an un-fun game.

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

Yeah I thought there was a chance they'd gently caress the Games Con stream up, have a couple of crashes or something, that combined with DEREK SMART and the press finally paying attention might possibly have been enough to spook a real fire sale on the 2nd hand market and maybe start a flood of refunds.

Instead the stream managed to impress the faithful a bit, even if only the multi player. SC-Druggie is an example of the type of player they want to keep on side until it reaches a point when he can't get a refund.

Selling some of the popular module stripped ships with LTI again and the Glaive injecting life into the "investor" market is enough to mean they just need a good live stream at Citizen Con leading up to the November sales, considering they haven't shown anything at all of SQ42 yet, it should be easy enough to impress.

They made a million in 48 hours over Games Con, more than the monthly totals in July & June and far more than the Space bus sale, they'll probably take another 500k easy before the LTI Retaliator sale is over.

If they don't break 100 million this year, high 90's is looking very possible, there's plenty more laughs to come.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

imperialparadox posted:

Elite sold 500k units by may, 160k of which were preorders. It's also a working game, which will be expanded from that base, with devs that seem pretty trustworthy and not a development mess with huge feature creep. If SQ42 is stable and has a decent campaign that will give at least 20 hours of play and isn't expensive I might get it. With what we know what are the chances of that happening?

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

alex314 posted:

Elite sold 500k units by may, 160k of which were preorders. It's also a working game, which will be expanded from that base, with devs that seem pretty trustworthy and not a development mess with huge feature creep. If SQ42 is stable and has a decent campaign that will give at least 20 hours of play and isn't expensive I might get it. With what we know what are the chances of that happening?

Fair enough, I think my perspective gets thrown off since there are people that are essentially spending thousands of dollars on a preorder when you look at Star Citizen. :shrug:

CIG does keep repeating that they want to push out some form of SQ42 by the end of the year (yeah right), so that does seem indicative of them needing the money.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

imperialparadox posted:

CIG does keep repeating that they want to push out some form of SQ42 by the end of the year (yeah right), so that does seem indicative of them needing the money.

I don't think they've said that for quite a while, :lesnick: dodged the question and said wait till Citizen Con a while back, Social Module this month, FPS September, Multi Crew October is the latest I think. Given their track record, we might see Social Module this year but that's uncertain.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Is Kimsemus allowed back yet??

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
Can we get a status update of Kimsemus' space truck fleet?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cpt Underpants posted:

Finally got to watch the Gamescon presentation. I'm timezonally challenged and was busy this weekend, plus who can take more than a few minutes at a time of this drivel?

Time for some RealTalk™. Star Citizen, at its current finance level can not deliver. I actually agree with Doctor Derek Smart here that SC as promised is at least a 150m game. Having said that, what I've seen in the presentation has given me the slightest glimmer of hope it will actually come out at some point and an inkling of positivity towards the project.

My biggest complaint at this stage is that they're doing the smart business thing. They're holding poo poo back for a polished marketing release rather than keeping backers up to date as promised. That alone may actually mean they get to the revenue target to get the game out the door.

I deeply regret how much money I've put into this game, I'm currently at a net spend of about $150 from an original outlay of nearly $700. If I had my time over without knowing about the grey market, I would have bought in at $35, sold that for $100 and bought another $35 non-LTI package. Needless to say, I'm very unlikely to put in another cent to this project unless I can be guaranteed to make money from it.

The Star Citizen community has some of the biggest shitlords I've ever encountered in any community in the >25 years I've been on the internet. It also has some extremely chillbros who almost make up for it.

If this game delivers as promised, teamwork is going to be OP as gently caress. Find a group which gets along with each other. I don't care if that is Goonrathi, Starfleet Dental or even TEST. If they work well as a group they'll have a huge domination in the game.

Tears: Guaranteed. Either the game will die in a fire fuelled by the tragedy of a million space nerds ~OR~ it will be so dependent on teamwork so badly that solo players will be a :qq: waiting to happen.

I agree on everything. Personally what I saw of the social module made me think it's going to be boring and tedious, essentially Mass Effect with random encounters and running from store to store getting whatever supplies I need before taking off again. The idea of "randomly" getting mugged in the same alley over and over again just seems stupid. The FPS feels generic and derivative. But the core gameplay, multi-JARED!-crew, looks like it could be amazi-JARED? RED ONE! JARED!-ng. And as you say working together with friends is going to be hilariously OP.

Also there's an interesting post from the Brown Sea from someone who talked to Jared about changes to mechanics. Most notably is the notion that the variant system is "obsolete" and they'll be fully embracing Retaliator-style modularity, up to and including swapping external modules so you could theoretically have the head of a Aquila and the tail of a Taurus.

quote:

Alright so, I talked to @DiscoLando-CIG at gamescom booth Saturday.
(Hi Disco, I'm the annoying bearded French guy. It was cool to speak with you)

He talked about a few interesting stories, but I specifically asked about the Cutlass.
I'll try not to forget anything, but don't quote me on this it's all not-so-fresh memory in a foreign language.

He couldn't tell if the global maximum speed would be implemented as it was a design question.

He also agreed that ship should still match their original role.

Before going into the Cutlass part, I need to talk about modularity and the Constellation example he used.
He said the ship would be segmented in several part (e.g: cockpit, middle, cargo bay, engine. Or something similar). Each of those part will have hardpoints tied to them and you'd be able to mix them up.
For example if you want the Aquila cockpit attached to your Andromeda you can and it will have the Aquila hardpoints. He also cited a component with bigger engine that would allow to go faster but with other drawbacks.

So first I asked him about the thread being ignored and that it was maybe the biggest issue with the Cutlass debacle.
He didn't acknowledge that we were being ignored and seemed to consider that the few comments we got from RtV was enough communication. I don't agree with this but I won't blame him either.

He confirmed that it was the old model in the demo and more importantly, explained a little why it was used that way when I told him Cutlass owners were disheartened by such representation.
Thing is they needed a ship to transport troops and do the whole EVA boarding and the Cutlass is the only one that had the size and was ready for that usage. Basically, they only have 3 multi-crew ships flyable at the moment and the Retaliator and Constellation already had their roles planned.

Last but not least, he said that they couldn't really talk about the rework until it was finished. He said that the variants were an obsolete system and that everything would be modular. That we would be able to mix and match the different components and that yes, if we wanted one we'd be able to make a fast and agile Cutlass or other examples.
(I can't for the live of me remember the other ones. I kinda blanked when he cited this one. Maybe Stealth and Dropship, I don't know)

Anyway. I'd really wait for the rework release before melting/CCUing a Cutlass.
I'm still not convinced it will be what we hoped for, but it might be a worthwhile ship to keep.
If only they would give us some information / direction on that drat rework.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Star Signal E50! - Special Guest Sandi Gardiner and Win a Glaive!

The difficulties of marketing Star Citizen.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Also there's an interesting post from the Brown Sea from someone who talked to Jared about changes to mechanics. Most notably is the notion that the variant system is "obsolete" and they'll be fully embracing Retaliator-style modularity, up to and including swapping external modules so you could theoretically have the head of a Aquila and the tail of a Taurus.

I'm not sure that system is going to apply to all ships with variants. It sounds more like that is the planned system for those ships that are designed to be modular, like the redesigned Cutlass, Constellation, and the Retaliator (and likely those going forward), but not necessarily like it will be implemented for all the older ships with unique-hull variants like the 300 series or the Aurora that aren't necessarily slated for modular conversion.

Aydjile
Oct 13, 2013

Survive Adapt Improve
the thread where we endure our faith

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I'm sorry that reality doesn't fall neatly into the personal narrative you've constructed where all people who choose to spend money on a game of their choosing suffer from some mental disorder that you get to play the hero and save them from. The reality is that people see something in the game that excites them, and they are willing to spend money because of that.

Underappreciated post

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
lot of trolling about kimsemus and well, now i think it's good that he got banned from goonrathi

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you guys for real want me to fix the OP I will also, can't go back and add posts for the guilds tho

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think "Jared! Red one!" has finally replaced Great job, Jeremy in awkward conference presentation banter.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Eonwe posted:

im not going to fix the fact that the headers are timg

oh my god are you honestly= doing this to me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

2DCAT posted:

Is Kimsemus allowed back yet??

FireWhizzle posted:

Can we get a status update of Kimsemus' space truck fleet?

Good

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Octopode posted:

I'm not sure that system is going to apply to all ships with variants. It sounds more like that is the planned system for those ships that are designed to be modular, like the redesigned Cutlass, Constellation, and the Retaliator (and likely those going forward), but not necessarily like it will be implemented for all the older ships with unique-hull variants like the 300 series or the Aurora that aren't necessarily slated for modular conversion.

Seems to me the larger a ship gets, the more modularity matters. The single seaters barely have the space to actually swap components. There is the Hornet ball turret/cargo/radar/stealth "module". Beyond that Cutlass is probably the smallest ship where "modular" is actually worth the effort. I guess that IS what give the Cutlass's big advantage?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Eonwe posted:

Underappreciated post

i enjoyed it but appreciation isnt really a part of my posting gimmick, gently caress you

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I just want to watch them sell a pretend module for a concept art ship and make thousands of dollars from deluded morons.

It's the next level.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Cowcaster can you please change my name to My Posting Gimmick

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Octopode posted:

Well it's information relayed from a member of the ALWAYS RELIABLE AND NEVER WRONG CIG Community staff so I would take it with a pillar of salt, especially since the last Jump Point also flat out said that all variants would have unique hulls (and even went so far as to call out the Aurora CL, which as far as I can tell is a loving Aurora with a big box under it). The original Aurora commercial actually had a fantastic vision for modularity that hopefully we'll see more of, down to having an Aurora LN with luxury seats in it.

Personally I think variants are stupid and modularity makes a lot more sense. If I want a Freelancer MIS with Freelancer MAX engines then I should be able to pay for it. Same with a Constellation Aquila with a Taurus cargo bay and manned top and bottom turrets, or a 325a mated to a 350r engine.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Eldragon posted:

Seems to me the larger a ship gets, the more modularity matters. The single seaters barely have the space to actually swap components. There is the Hornet ball turret/cargo/radar/stealth "module". Beyond that Cutlass is probably the smallest ship where "modular" is actually worth the effort. I guess that IS what give the Cutlass's big advantage?

i want to understand, each ship has slots for things, correct? are these parts interchangable? i think it would be fun to put huge weapons on a tiny ship and turn it into essentially a one shot suicide ship. think battlefield jihad jeep

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Big weapons don't fit on small ships, but honestly, small ships themselves are pretty big weapons. Never not ram.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Well it's information relayed from a member of the ALWAYS RELIABLE AND NEVER WRONG CIG Community staff so I would take it with a pillar of salt, especially since the last Jump Point also flat out said that all variants would have unique hulls (and even went so far as to call out the Aurora CL, which as far as I can tell is a loving Aurora with a big box under it). The original Aurora commercial actually had a fantastic vision for modularity that hopefully we'll see more of, down to having an Aurora LN with luxury seats in it.

Personally I think variants are stupid and modularity makes a lot more sense. If I want a Freelancer MIS with Freelancer MAX engines then I should be able to pay for it. Same with a Constellation Aquila with a Taurus cargo bay and manned top and bottom turrets, or a 325a mated to a 350r engine.

yeah, i tricked out my fiesta with a taurus turbo and its amazing as gently caress. cig, let us play space mechanic with our collection of ships

Truga posted:

Big weapons don't fit on small ships, but honestly, small ships themselves are pretty big weapons. Never not ram.

thats a shame :(

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Truga posted:

Neoooooooorm *bssshrhhhhrkkk* KABOOOOOM

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

im the spinning space toilet in the bottom right corner

e: left!!!

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Blazing Zero posted:

i want to understand, each ship has slots for things, correct? are these parts interchangable? i think it would be fun to put huge weapons on a tiny ship and turn it into essentially a one shot suicide ship. think battlefield jihad jeep

ATM the evolving rule seems to be that if the ship has a rectangle they might produce smaller rectangles that can fit into it.

Otherwise modularity means guns or something. They've never really clarified.

Variants not being some kind of fixed tier thing is good. Though I really doubt that CIG will push their primary milking mechanism for wringing a few more dollars out of people who've bought ships that are suddenly terrible without a second infusion of cash off a cliff while their income to outgo disparity is so high this far away from release.

If they really do want to get S42 out the door and bring in a good return the way the game plays is going to need a serious examination in the upcoming months if they're going to move the masses to spend.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blazing Zero posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dusty Lens posted:

Variants not being some kind of fixed tier thing is good. Though I really doubt that CIG will push their primary milking mechanism for wringing a few more dollars out of people who've bought ships that are suddenly terrible without a second infusion of cash off a cliff while their income to outgo disparity is so high this far away from release.

Modularity is the new milking mechanism. Selling a base Retaliator for $150 opens up the market for folks who dropped $110 and want something bigger, and then it's easier to justify dropping $25 or so for a cargo pod. Now extend that to all of the other platforms and you can see how things would work. For example let's say the Cutlass somehow manages to not suck. I might own a Black for $110, but I might be willing to drop an extra $5 for the Red cockpit and maybe another $40 for souped up engines. At this point most backers will likely melt and convert stuff, but you're still going to capture people dropping an extra $5 here and there.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

The Next Great Starship Character Model being announced next week. They are also thinking about doing a live stream every 2 months, they had 24 thousand people on Twitch watching the Gamescom stream and somebody must has figured out that's a great captive audience to sell things to.

Also Sandi Gardiner says the marketing department at CIG only recently recruited an assistant for her, marketing has been all her work. I think Derek Smart said she was taking credit for the work of others in marketing (I'm not reading it all again to find the quote), so somebody is feeding him bad information or he's making it up.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Blazing Zero posted:

lot of trolling about kimsemus and well, now i think it's good that he got banned from goonrathi

The entertainment value far outweighs any negatives, sort of like this thread's entertainment value far outweighs anything SC can provide. :toot:

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Aug 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So what happened to the old thread? There was 30 pages of posts in 2 days and then this.

• Locked thread