Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Somberbrero posted:

Can you vocalize what's bad that post? I thought my friend Toalpaz was just being silly.

deliberately introducing wifom, even jokingly (haha unless...?) is not pro-town

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Oh drat, Toalpaz sent a bad post, prithee vote him! Unless he merely joking? Nay, banish the thought, vote Toalpaz! . . . Lest?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

deliberately introducing wifom, even jokingly (haha unless...?) is not pro-town

I notice you used the phrase 'not pro-town' rather than 'scummy.' I guess I'm a little confused about the harm it could do.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Somberbrero posted:

I appreciate the thoughtful response. I don't agree with your ultimate conclusion that a mass flavor claim would help identify scum. I believe I've illustrated that it's not that challenging to come up with a believable flavor profile on the spot, but maybe that's not a universal quality.

We've gone pretty far off road though out into the badlands of this hypothetical exercise, so just to bring it back home, I found it a little suspicious that Soda didn't take the Miller claim at face value and felt the request for flavor to satisfy her suspicion rang false in part because of that.

I was hoping that this conversation would garner more reactions from soda and others, but I didn't get much out of soda's non-commentary. I am a bit wary of those who spoke up during the discussion but didn't address any of the content, but maybe it's just not that interesting?

I don't currently feel like AS is scummy personally but I can at least see how that fishing for flavor when you had a pretty bog standard Miller claim could raise a few eyebrows in hindsight. I think I overall agree with your point that flavor fishing isn't going to be very helpful to town.

Toalpaz posted:

Somber, the foreigner is a recurring character in ecco games. You're basically confirmed town at this point, and scum would be a fool not to night kill you tonight.

This strikes me as weird, though. I think trying to divine alignment based solely on Ecco's game-making meta is a kind of off the beaten path. The Foreigner shows up a lot but it doesn't always mean they're town. As an example I was the Foreigner in A Clash of Crocs and I was a 3p with a completely separate wincon.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Monathin posted:

This strikes me as weird, though. I think trying to divine alignment based solely on Ecco's game-making meta is a kind of off the beaten path. The Foreigner shows up a lot but it doesn't always mean they're town. As an example I was the Foreigner in A Clash of Crocs and I was a 3p with a completely separate wincon.

Eh I think they were joking

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
You've all played into my hand. I am puppet mastering you all into playing mafia. Fufufu...

Ixtlilton my pronouns are they and them which OP would helpfully have if Ecco wasn't a two bit moderator.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Ixtlilton posted:

Oh drat, Toalpaz sent a bad post, prithee vote him! Unless he merely joking? Nay, banish the thought, vote Toalpaz! . . . Lest?

This can't last the whole game I won't be able to handle this poo poo

Also late to the argument but I think flavor can be important

Dongsbot caught scum in an eccogame when TNL had the same name as the name of the villain

Actually come to think of it soda was in that game too

I don't think it was that odd more odd was the cop softclaim imo

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

MisterJed posted:

Eh I think they were joking

Maybe, I am notoriously bad at getting joke's.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Monathin posted:

Maybe, I am notoriously bad at getting joke's.

Yeah same

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

I am also not very funny

I’m finding these flavour arguments are kind of pinging me though, D1 has just started and people are fishing for flavour and soft claims already. It feels kind of awkward and artificial

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Moatillata posted:

Dongsbot caught scum in an eccogame when TNL had the same name as the name of the villain

I've been waiting for someone else to bring that up. It feels like it should merit discussion but dang if I know what to say.

I guess, the question is, are you more likely to make that play as Town or Mafia?

Presuming a fakeclaim as Town, you could draw a counter-claim from the real cop and invite disaster. Alternatively, you could throw the scum onto you when you're Vanilla or a Bomb or something.

Presuming a real claim as Town, you have to assume your sanity is in question for this to ever make sense. What's the value there? Starting the conversation, I guess.

As scum, it's kind of an amazing called shot. You're telling the real cop to come at you. It's probably a 1 to 1 trade, but you learn who the cop is probably. This strikes me as the most thoughtful of the three options, if you are on for some next level play.

While I am suspicious of Token to a degree, she seems like a bad dunk today as it will probably sort itself out in time.

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

I’m sleepy, I will read and process all of this tomorrow

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
I am funny. Bask in my comedy.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
fart

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

rude

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

nice

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Somberbrero posted:

I've been waiting for someone else to bring that up. It feels like it should merit discussion but dang if I know what to say.

I guess, the question is, are you more likely to make that play as Town or Mafia?

Presuming a fakeclaim as Town, you could draw a counter-claim from the real cop and invite disaster. Alternatively, you could throw the scum onto you when you're Vanilla or a Bomb or something.

Presuming a real claim as Town, you have to assume your sanity is in question for this to ever make sense. What's the value there? Starting the conversation, I guess.

As scum, it's kind of an amazing called shot. You're telling the real cop to come at you. It's probably a 1 to 1 trade, but you learn who the cop is probably. This strikes me as the most thoughtful of the three options, if you are on for some next level play.

While I am suspicious of Token to a degree, she seems like a bad dunk today as it will probably sort itself out in time.

I mostly had my vote on Token as part of a bad joke on my part but I feel like the softclaim is completely out of left field for either town or scum. It's possible that's what Token is betting on, but I think it's a weird alignment-neutral gambit.

##unvote since we seem to be (slowly) shifting into mafia proper and I don't want to leave my vote there now that other people are at least discussing it a bit.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

got an rl laugh from me

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
When I used to read the Mafia Universe games, town Miller-claimants would go to work casing to show towniness and reduce the target in their backs. Whereas friend Somber has spent most of the time in setup speculation which is unlikely to help anyone.

Is this a standard SA thing or a likely scum tell?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE posted:

When I used to read the Mafia Universe games, town Miller-claimants would go to work casing to show towniness and reduce the target in their backs. Whereas friend Somber has spent most of the time in setup speculation which is unlikely to help anyone.

wtf

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

the absolute shade who the gently caress is this joker I mean are you kidding me

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

what

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##vote bad forum name

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
##unvote; ##vote bad forum name

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

At my old school, Millers would make good posts but I see here that Somberbrero has only made awful posts that a fool might make. Is this what you all are like or is Somber scum?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

How curious

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

while i am going to vote you for floating an opinion while immediately abdicating any kind of responsibility for it(##vote shalashaska hawke) i am curious a) why you think i've mostly been focusing on setup spec, like specific posts you can point to, and 2) what else i should be focusing on whilst no one else is posting?

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

Somberbrero posted:

while i am going to vote you for floating an opinion while immediately abdicating any kind of responsibility for it(##vote shalashaska hawke) i am curious a) why you think i've mostly been focusing on setup spec, like specific posts you can point to, and 2) what else i should be focusing on whilst no one else is posting?

1) every post where you talked about flavor
2) bar people and who they are

I have to say your bizarre reaction just then reads townie because scum are likely to be more cautious with their posts.

I’ll be watching, Hat-Friend.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

The votes on you for this feel easy and I don't think it means scum necessarily but what are you really expecting him to "go to work casing" currently?

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I hate this posting gimmick birb i like it when you are cool and fun

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

1) every post where you talked about flavor
2) bar people and who they are

I have to say your bizarre reaction just then reads townie because scum are likely to be more cautious with their posts.

I’ll be watching, Hat-Friend.

The flavor discussion was tangential to my point regarding soda, it's almost deceptive and certainly incorrect to frame that series it's conversations with xopods and Pinterest Mother as primarily being about flavor when it was all in the context of scumhunting.

With you making a joke instead of providing instances of other content I could address, I feel more comfortable in my vote.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
##unvote

hello friends

Monathin posted:

I don't currently feel like AS is scummy personally but I can at least see how that fishing for flavor when you had a pretty bog standard Miller claim could raise a few eyebrows in hindsight. I think I overall agree with your point that flavor fishing isn't going to be very helpful to town.

this post pinging me feels flakey, did you think toal was scum when you posted this?

Moatillata posted:

my first ever game!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Toalpaz posted:

Okay I was eighty percent sure that was birb but I wasn't certain thank you

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I sense... a dark energy emanating from this thread...

I fear this will be the most cursed game of Mafia any of us have ever played... and maybe our last...

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

Yeah I was more interested in the flavor thing bc I think it makes me feel solid on soda

It kinda baffles me how people harp on poo poo which I think could be instructive. In this case i think AS is on the right track. Reinforcing me is the recent game you ran where sandwolf was scum And claimed bodyguard and I pressed him for flavor and people got standoffish and said I was fishing (also sandwolf himself said as much) bc I wanted flavor.

As to the token stuff, I dunno. It's one thing to claim cop d1 as a joke but her posturing felt kinda off to me. Not sure if she's trying to draw nk or what... I think it will resolve itself in due time tho just gonna wait and see

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Somberbrero posted:

I sense... a dark energy emanating from this thread...

I fear this will be the most cursed game of Mafia any of us have ever played... and maybe our last...

:emo:

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.

Toalpaz posted:

:emptyquote:

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
im not sure how to feel about birbs recent posts sorry this is a bit of a mess my thoughts are messy

re: somber

his posts feel genuine and he's casing. on the flip side he's wrong and repeating himself. im not sure what i should say in addition to what i have already said somber, though if anyone has questions i'll respond when i can

re: miller. claiming early good, respond quickly on flavour good, posting good, cases bad. my experience with scum somber makes me feel ok tho hesitant to trust this feeling. i dont currently think somber is scum.

re: hawke

i don't agree with birbs reasons thinking somber scummy. im also not sure how serious he is being, like it feel like provocation for a reaction. "curious". the followup post seems serious

having trouble phrasing this but if the case was sombers case on me i wouldn't have a problem with it, but i don't agree about somber re the flavour focus. somber was saying that me asking about his flavour was the problem/responding to posts not focusing on flavour himself i thought. correct me if i'm wrong! i also think somber participating as much as you can d1.

overall somber case is bad but unsure how i feel on birb currently

toal you have puppeteered me into asking who you think is scummy : )

this is a blessed game

e:hi moat help me make sense of it all

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

cheese sandwich posted:

The votes on you for this feel easy and I don't think it means scum necessarily but what are you really expecting him to "go to work casing" currently?

well firstly this seems to be the worst post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

OH YEAH LETS PLAY SOME FWEAKING MAFIA