Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Somehow my brain decided to remember that Diesel energy drinks were a thing when I was in high school and that I never got to try them. Has anyone else?

Yeah like once or so.
Tastes like the name implies.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Speaking of ginger soda, the new Mt. Dew is interesting. I like it but I can tell this one ain't gonna be for everyone.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
that stuff took my mouth on the wildest ride it's ever been on with a soda

i still don't know if it was good or bad like a week later

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
It starts off with an intriguing flavor but quickly starts to just taste like pool water.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
most of the new wave of Dews have been slightly off-putting in ways i find difficult to articulate. feels very much a part of some sinister occult experiment.

----------------

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I tried the coke zero with coffee and really enjoyed it. I'll probably buy a few more cans.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

i pretty much hate coke but i love coffee and the coke with coffee definitely splits the difference into a drink i really enjoy.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
I love vanilla pepsi

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
My local taco time got rid of their coke freestyle machine. I’m quite upset.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Rahu posted:

My local taco time got rid of their coke freestyle machine. I’m quite upset.

I haven't seen a freestyle machine since The Before Times.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

uber_stoat posted:

most of the new wave of Dews have been slightly off-putting in ways i find difficult to articulate. feels very much a part of some sinister occult experiment.

Which ones? The only one in recent memory I don’t like is the gingerbread one, everything else was just normal fruity soda

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WITCHCRAFT posted:

I haven't seen a freestyle machine since The Before Times.

I saw one that has a QR code thing where you can use your phone instead of touching the screen. No idea how it works though

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

FCKGW posted:

I saw one that has a QR code thing where you can use your phone instead of touching the screen. No idea how it works though

Probably super annoyingly and takes way longer but some people for whatever reason want to do everything with their phone now even if it's worse.

It's probably meant for people who don't want to use a touch screen a bunch of other people have used that day, but I would think those are the same people who would just wash their hands after and probably have sanitizer on them too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Twenty Four posted:

Probably super annoyingly and takes way longer but some people for whatever reason want to do everything with their phone now even if it's worse.

It's probably meant for people who don't want to use a touch screen a bunch of other people have used that day, but I would think those are the same people who would just wash their hands after and probably have sanitizer on them too.

Yeah it only popped up during COVID for obvious reasons.

I’m just curious how it would get the selection data from your phone back to the freestyle machine. Unless there a camera on the thing I’m not aware of? Bluetooth?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah it only popped up during COVID for obvious reasons.

I’m just curious how it would get the selection data from your phone back to the freestyle machine. Unless there a camera on the thing I’m not aware of? Bluetooth?

Simplest solution is the easiest, they're hooked up to the internet. Scan a QR code, go to a website attached to the machine, and it can even report what flavors are out. Added bonus of it being able to gather all that hot hot consumer data.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

pointlessone posted:

Simplest solution is the easiest, they're hooked up to the internet. Scan a QR code, go to a website attached to the machine, and it can even report what flavors are out. Added bonus of it being able to gather all that hot hot consumer data.

Huh, that looks like it. The machines have a embedded web server that deploys the drinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcRxRgovlSo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I love the Freestyle machine. They all have had QR codes by default since the beginning (unless the place renting it asked them to turn it off), although you used to have to look for it a bit. They recently made it more obvious.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

I love the Freestyle machine. They all have had QR codes by default since the beginning (unless the place renting it asked them to turn it off), although you used to have to look for it a bit. They recently made it more obvious.

I thought the freestyle machines were a neat novelty when I first saw one years ago, and the ton of options are nice. Obviously this is not meant as anything against you friend, and I am sure I will get "shut up old timer" or something from someone, but, bolding the part that I don't get and makes me "old" I guess...

Searching through menus on a screen to find a code to scan so you can upload it online, probably make an account, so you can sort through menus on a different screen on a phone to get a soda sounds way more annoying then, say, pressing my cup against the lever underneath the coke nozzle which requires no contact, then maybe topping it off with a little cherry coke or whatever if I am feeling crazy.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Twenty Four posted:

I thought the freestyle machines were a neat novelty when I first saw one years ago, and the ton of options are nice. Obviously this is not meant as anything against you friend, and I am sure I will get "shut up old timer" or something from someone, but, bolding the part that I don't get and makes me "old" I guess...

Searching through menus on a screen to find a code to scan so you can upload it online, probably make an account, so you can sort through menus on a different screen on a phone to get a soda sounds way more annoying then, say, pressing my cup against the lever underneath the coke nozzle which requires no contact, then maybe topping it off with a little cherry coke or whatever if I am feeling crazy.

As a fellow old, I am seen in this post. I, the consumer, don't actually want 87 choices in this particular scenario, especially when it involves me having to mash my hamfist repeatedly to get things to work, only to discover that 45% of the choices are out of stock at the moment.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Beef Of Ages posted:

As a fellow old, I am seen in this post. I, the consumer, don't actually want 87 choices in this particular scenario, especially when it involves me having to mash my hamfist repeatedly to get things to work, only to discover that 45% of the choices are out of stock at the moment.

Thanks! I'm probably not terribly old by some standards but the mentality is there, and I know it's not just me (maybe my parents are rubbing off on me). I'm willing to take heat for it, but I think it's more of a commentary on things in general then a soda machine. It's fun and interesting at first but typically I just want a soda or whatever.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

no you are both right those freestyle machines loving suck just give me an ice cold coke I don't want to dig through menus using the world's shittiest resistive touch screen.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
The Wendy's app let's me order Freestyle drinks through it and pick them up in the drive thru. I agree in general on the machines, feel like an absolute jackass digging through lovely touch menus if there's people lined up behind me, like in the before times. Through the app though, it's kind of cool. Even if I end up getting the same thing when I do bother with it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Twenty Four posted:

Oh you're absolutely right, it's a ton of steps to do the QR code thing: setting up a coke account itself has been a major to minor pain in the rear end depending on the era, and the apps were always fairly large for what little is in there, and then setting the beverage up isn't the most intuitive thing on Earth. And then back when this used to take a while to make, you looked like an idiot going through the menu on a screen that's really lovely even if it's clean, to find the QR reader and then get it to successfully read your code with what was a dirty camera half the time, when the guy waiting behind you is just going to walk up and press "COKE" and be done with it.

The only reason to do it is you can do mixes on the phone that you can't very easily do on the machine. You can basically control (albeit in rather limited increments) how much of a particular flavor you are including in a drink, or make combinations of any 3 flavors on the machine. So if you want to make a two part. raspberry Fanta, one part cherry Disani, and three parts Barq's cream soda (if the machine has these cartridges installed) you can totally do it. And then you can give the QR code to your friend and say "check this dumb poo poo I made out."

I basically only use it to try to make good tasting, low calorie diet drinks that I use whenever I'm in my methadonesque phase of trying to quit drinking soda and also going to the movies.

mlnhd
Jun 4, 2002

Freestyle is the only place I’ve been able to get Sprite Zero with Ginger in almost 2 years, so it’s got that going for it

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

as far as I recall part of the creation of the freestyle was really meant for bartenders so they could have consistent mixed drink pours in a custom machine but then coke bought the tech and away we go

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Some of the gas stations around here have a flavor shot type thing on the soda fountains. So you can add a squirt of lemon/lime/cherry/vanilla to whatever regular soda you are getting. If they had a few more flavors (like someone above said, I would put ginger into hella drinks) it would be an... analog? version of a freestyle machine. That would be neat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WITCHCRAFT posted:

Some of the gas stations around here have a flavor shot type thing on the soda fountains. So you can add a squirt of lemon/lime/cherry/vanilla to whatever regular soda you are getting. If they had a few more flavors (like someone above said, I would put ginger into hella drinks) it would be an... analog? version of a freestyle machine. That would be neat.

Here they have them at Quik Trip, 7-11 and Circle K and at various truck stops (some where they have like six flavors!) . But the universal problem is that the people who work at these places (and who could blame them) barely clean the main nozzles as is, you aren't going to find many places where they bother to clean the little flavor tubes very regularly so you end up getting like 10 squirts in one press or none at all (if they've even been filled), or for 7-11 machines where it's all theoretically automated before the drink gets to the part where it dispenses, you get a drink that is like 90% foam because the c02 and water comes out way faster than the soda syrup trying to make its way through the dirty lemon flavoring tube.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Freestyle machines are the only way I can get my cherry diet Dr Pepper so go kick rocks old man

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

the guy waiting behind you is just going to walk up and press "COKE" and be done with it.

That's me, maybe press one other thing really quick because I guess that's what I am supposed to be doing right now and it happens to be right in front of me, but I definitely don't want to be the person making everyone late for their movie or just getting the hell out of the store or whatever, not to mention deal with all that other mentioned stuff for a soda

Nikumatic posted:

as far as I recall part of the creation of the freestyle was really meant for bartenders so they could have consistent mixed drink pours in a custom machine but then coke bought the tech and away we go

Now if I could hit the "double or triple shot of whisky" button, I'm down but it still would just be me hitting the coke and whisky buttons, not trying to make the world's most elaborate take on a long island.

FCKGW posted:

Freestyle machines are the only way I can get my cherry diet Dr Pepper so go kick rocks old man
Fair

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm not a fan of the Freestyle machines. Mainly because I don't care about doing flavor combinations and just get a regular drink which always come off tasting a little bit off from non-Freestyle.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Diet grapefruit soda just doesn’t exist any more, does it?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Gonna need that Squirt Zero or whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but that doesn’t actually exist. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a couple of years.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ting is really good grapefruit soda, not sure if it’s available where you are?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but that doesn’t actually exist. I’ve been keeping an eye out for a couple of years.

It does in random places, or if you want to spend egregious sums of money: https://www.truegether.com/listing.html?id=USER.e766ad0b-a5a1-4b3d-a90c-eb960e153f8b

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
I haven't tried this myself, but Zevia cream soda is pretty dang great for a zero cal soda, and it looks like they make a grapefruit too. Their tool is showing that it's stocked in Natural Grocers and Sprouts by me. https://www.zevia.com/collections/soda/products/grapefruit-citrus

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

i can still get Fresca zero semi-regularly here.

----------------

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Torquemada posted:

Ting is really good grapefruit soda, not sure if it’s available where you are?
Yeah Ting is excellent, but that would be a lot of calories I don’t really need.

I’ll have to look for that Zevia.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Beef Of Ages posted:

Gonna need that Squirt Zero or whatever.

it's actually just piss zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I still see Fresca on the shelves of most grocers. Polar has 1 liters of diet grapefruit, as well as diet dry orange and a half n half. one half is diet grapefruit I forget what the other half is, some kind of diet citrus. I buy their diet tonic water and have that with a slice of lime now and then. very refreshing, even (especially?) without the gin.

I don't think polar is a national brand but I've seen it in several parts of northeast US