Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

(yes I was in game mode)
Hades, vampire survivor-likes, and such are playable with a fuzz of input lag. Rocket League is more of a competitive e-sport game and you need split second reactions at the higher levels.

I'll believe you that it's not the size of the tv, my Google fu turned up no solutions and now that I've complained I see people saying it's probably wireless controller related or Internet.

I wasn't exaggerating on the milliseconds, press jump almost half second delay, it sucks, thankfully it works great on PC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I am trying to help my mother choose a TV. She's looking at nothing larger than 43", 4k, and is generally just easy to use. Her current TV is flipping out when she tries to open certain apps, even after deleting and reinstalling them.

She's mostly been looking at stuff in the $200-300 range, though I think she'd be OK with up to $400 if it's definitely higher quality in terms of reliability and ease of use. I don't think she'll care about the differences between different display technologies. She's also got a bunch of Alexa home stuff if that matters.

What would be the safest bet for her?

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Hades, vampire survivor-likes, and such are playable with a fuzz of input lag. Rocket League is more of a competitive e-sport game and you need split second reactions at the higher levels.

I'll believe you that it's not the size of the tv, my Google fu turned up no solutions and now that I've complained I see people saying it's probably wireless controller related or Internet.

I wasn't exaggerating on the milliseconds, press jump almost half second delay, it sucks, thankfully it works great on PC

There is simply no way the size of the tv matters because nowadays they all output to the same resolution, 4k. Probably not even controller related, as I use wireless controllers in Rocket League just fine. Oh, and on switch the problem is the frame rate struggles to fit 30fps. There’s some internal processing that causes it. Source: made it to Champ 1 on an LG C1

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The highest the C2 gets is 90ms and that's 1080p outside of game mode.

In game mode, it's between 5.7 and 10.7ms depending on resolution/refresh rate.

As mentioned, input lag as bad as you said would make watching even video unbearable. Anything over 200ms is extremely obvious and outside of anything sold for probably near 15 years.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Just upgraded to a 55 inch TCL C845 miniLED from what I was using a 40 inch Soniq 1080 tv set from 2012. Wow my experience of media has completely transformed. Ratchet and Clank on PS5 looks amazing.

Only downside was it took a little while to figure out how to turn motion smoothing off for some settings, on Disney+ Dolby content defaults to an "IQ" mode that doesn't turn even give you the option to turn it off, thankfully the other Dolby modes do however

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My TCL 6 Series that’s 2 months shy of being 5 years old is just completely dead.

I’ve had this TV do the thing where the Tv turns on but the screen is off. And unplugging it fixes it. This time completely nothing. No lights around the one button, reset button does nothing. I’ve done all the troubleshooting you can do with changing power outlets , letting it sit unplugged, etc. Aside from taking it somewhere that I am sure will charge me $300 when a new TV at this price point is $600. I swear when my last LG LED died it was $500 to fix it.

Debating either
A) Getting a new 55” to replace the TCL 6 series. The Living Room can’t handle more than 55”. When I got the TCL 6 series it was Rtings “best budget TV” which is now another TCL

TCL 55-Inch Q7 QLED 4K Smart TV with Google TV
https://a.co/d/b2TeW1N

B) Taking my 55” LG OLED B7A from the basement and putting it in the living room. Then getting SOMETHING bigger for the basement.

It sucks because I always thought we would use the nicer TV in the basement more often, but we watch in the living room 99% of the time. I’ll go down to the basement to watch a movie if the quality is high enough for 4K or HDR. But otherwise it just doesn’t get used. Thought maybe it would be best to make the nicest TV for the living room and get something cheap and huge for the basement. Biggest concern is my kid plays Minecraft all the time (400+ hours logged) and an OLED is going to have that UI burned into the screen eventually.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Get the kids a new TCL to game on in the basement.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Yeah, that’s what I’m leaning toward… huge crappy TV for the basement, bring the OLED upstairs. My kid can’t tell the difference and would probably play it more on a bigger Tv.

My whole issue right now is that I would need to shift my whole wall mount lower to do it. Because anything bigger will hit the basement ceiling.

There is not an adapter that lets me just slide the TV lower on the wall mount. Right?

3peat
May 6, 2010

I don't know what thread this would fit in so I'm asking here: I recently bought a TV that I'm using as a display for my PC and I want to use the TV apps for netflix, hbo max and prime video (as they're better than on PC), but for that I need sound out from the TV; I plan to buy a SMSL C200 DAC (I need balanced outputs as I use studio speakers) and hook it to the TV optical out, and when using the PC I would have the sound go through HDMI to the TV and from there to the DAC, would that introduce any latency or cause other problems?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Yeah, that’s what I’m leaning toward… huge crappy TV for the basement, bring the OLED upstairs. My kid can’t tell the difference and would probably play it more on a bigger Tv.

My whole issue right now is that I would need to shift my whole wall mount lower to do it. Because anything bigger will hit the basement ceiling.

There is not an adapter that lets me just slide the TV lower on the wall mount. Right?

Most mounts I've used have multiple holes you can mount the TV through, any chance you can use a different set of holes on yours?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Most mounts I've used have multiple holes you can mount the TV through, any chance you can use a different set of holes on yours?

No.

My problem is many years ago when the mount was installed, TVs were thick and the mounting holes were all in the center of the TV. While the 55” wasn’t mounted perfectly, the thought was that when I eventually got a bigger TV in the future it would fill the space evenly.

Well then TVs got thinner and the mounting holes shifted down. Then when I replaced my 55” LED with an OLED, the screen shifted further UP and became even more unideal. And I just lived with it because we had exercise equipment in the basement, and the height worked when on those so it wasn’t horrible in every situation. The height still worked well when reclining actually and not straining your head down

So now I am in the position where if I want to get anything bigger it’s time to take out the mount and move it down. Not ideal, but think it’s the only way I will ever get a bigger TV on that wall

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 17, 2023

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

If it's any consolation, finding the studs is by far the hardest part of installing a wall mount. Should be pretty simple to shift it down.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Enos Cabell posted:

If it's any consolation, finding the studs is by far the hardest part of installing a wall mount. Should be pretty simple to shift it down.

For mine I got the kind that shows the whole stud by lighting up several lights it’s much easier to work with.

Franklin Sensors ProSensor M210 Professional Stud Finder with 13-Sensors for The Highest Accuracy Detects Wood & Metal Studs with Incredible Speed, Yellow https://a.co/d/iIeStYD

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Super strong neodymium magnet is a great way to find studs.

Even through my super thick 1950s plaster walls, it will stick to the wall on a stud nail no problem. Plus it's a magnet, magnets are cool.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Very thankful my TCL has a turnoff standby light feature, we sleep with the door into the living room for airflow and I find LED lights really distracting when trying to sleep. For some reason, then PS5 doest have such a feature (though the Xbox does)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Very thankful my TCL has a turnoff standby light feature, we sleep with the door into the living room for airflow and I find LED lights really distracting when trying to sleep. For some reason, then PS5 doest have such a feature (though the Xbox does)

FLANCCI LED Light Blocking Stickers, Light Dimming LED Filters, (2 Sheets) Dimming Sheets for Routers, LED Covers Blackout, Dimming 50% ~ 80% of LED Lights, (2Sheets = 1 Cut Out + 1 Uncut) https://a.co/d/aCng1Zl

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Wow. For some reason, the UI of Netflix is just really, really bright on the TV. Turning down the brightness of the TV doesn't seem to impact it.

Other streaming services like Disney+ etc don't have the issue, you can manually set the subtitles in the TCL TV settings and it overrides it.

Netflix does have some other options in their app, but they're all pretty bright still.

Not sure what to do other than suck it up/use subtitles less (which I can do now since the TV's sound quality is pretty good), but it's irritating.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You might be able to just make an adapter with some plywood. Two sets of holes in one or two pieces of plywood, maybe with a 2x4 spacer. I'm not super clear on what you're asking though

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Any thoughts on the Roku TVs?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-75-class-plus-series-qled-4k-smart-rokutv/6536735.p?skuId=6536735

They are Best Buy exclusives. But Rtings hasn't reviewed any of the Roku TVs yet.

Seems like a good price for a good size and decent quality. This is for the kids to play video games on in the basement and watch Netflix, have an OLED for another room that is my main TV.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a TCL Roku. There's no way I'd buy another TV that isn't Google, solely for the chromecast functionality. Yes, you can add with a dedicated chromecast device, but I dont want to have to use another device. I kind of want to move my Shield to the bedroom TV as I dont use it, except for the damned cast feature.

If you've literally never had to cast something or think you never will, roku is fine. Its very simple, responsive enough. But you may find it lacking a bit if you are a tinkerer/power user.

I'm just realizing that you are asking about actual Roku TVs, which I didn't know existed until right now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I didn't realize people used Chromecasts still. What's the advantage of that over just normal smartTVs?

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Wow. For some reason, the UI of Netflix is just really, really bright on the TV. Turning down the brightness of the TV doesn't seem to impact it.

Other streaming services like Disney+ etc don't have the issue, you can manually set the subtitles in the TCL TV settings and it overrides it.

Netflix does have some other options in their app, but they're all pretty bright still.

Not sure what to do other than suck it up/use subtitles less (which I can do now since the TV's sound quality is pretty good), but it's irritating.

A bit late, but:

IIRC you have to log in to Netflix on the website, you can set the subtitle style there. It's under account, the scroll down and expand "profile and parental controls", THEN you can set the subtitle style. I've mine set to white on a black background, both with half transparency. It works pretty well. I have no idea why it's so convoluted to find, and it would be nice if the Netflix app just used the system settings on e.g. Roku.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Often times there are things I'm trying to watch that can only or most easily be accessed on the damned phone, which you then cast to your TV. Roku or FireTV cant do that, though at least FireTV has a browser which you can tediously use in some cases, but it wont allow you to go truly full screen, you'll still have the address bar and controls at the top.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

BonoMan posted:

I didn't realize people used Chromecasts still. What's the advantage of that over just normal smartTVs?

Smart TV hardware is often bottom tier and hard to develop for since so many TVs have so many different processors, chipsets, etc.

This is fine for most users, but when you start utilizing apps like Plex or care about passing through Dolby Vision or Atmos audio or whatever, the solution to the problem is often, "Buy a ~$50 streaming stick that will fix all the issues". It's also nice that the streaming sticks are often way snappier than most SmartTVs interfaces.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Corb3t posted:

Smart TV hardware is often bottom tier and hard to develop for since so many TVs have so many different processors, chipsets, etc.

This is fine for most users, but when you start utilizing apps like Plex or care about passing through Dolby Vision or Atmos audio or whatever, the solution to the problem is often, "Buy a ~$50 streaming stick that will fix all the issues". It's also nice that the streaming sticks are often way snappier than most SmartTVs interfaces.

Oh yeah I'm aware of that. I meant the OG Chromecast functionality - not just external streaming devices in general. I own a couple of the Google TV chromecasts (the newer 4K ones with the remote).

Although I will say my 2019 TCL RokuTV is still kicking strong. Native iterface is nice and snappy still (it was one of the better ones at the time). That's what I like about the Roku interface - it scales well to lower power TVs.

Now I have two smaller FireTVs for the kids and hollllly poo poo that UI is garbo and it takes 10 seconds to switch menus at all.

Next purchase will be an AppleTV so I can use my airpods with them with the kids are asleep.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 28, 2023

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Correct choice, the Apple TV is the best box no question.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

kri kri posted:

Correct choice, the Apple TV is the best box no question.

I can very easily stream all the videos on my PC to my tv via the VLC app on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can I do the same easily using the Apple TV somehow? Also does Apple TV have a SmartTube equivalent (YouTube but stripped of all ads and auto-skips in-video sponsor segments)?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Edit: Double post :(

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

codo27 posted:

I'm just realizing that you are asking about actual Roku TVs, which I didn't know existed until right now.

Ha, yeah... I actually did a focus group a while ago specifically for this TV. Where they were asking things like what each model should be called, and what features you would want in the different levels. I really appreciate that simplified the naming of them and went with "Select" and "Plus" series. Though there was a third tier TV called "Ultra" that they showed use as well, and currently they just have the two tiers.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

qbert posted:

I can very easily stream all the videos on my PC to my tv via the VLC app on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can I do the same easily using the Apple TV somehow? Also does Apple TV have a SmartTube equivalent (YouTube but stripped of all ads and auto-skips in-video sponsor segments)?

Yeahhh... Apple's walled garden makes sideloading ad-free YouTube pretty difficult, which is a dealbreaker for many people over on Android land. Most Smart TV's come with Google TV installed on them, so Youtube through that is always an option for most. The default Youtube app's startup chime when the app opens on Google TV is super annoying, though.

VLC has an Apple TV app, too. You could also use something with a fancier UI like Infuse to mount a networked samba share or whatever. I personally use Plex & Jellyfin, but I keep a media server running on my network 24/7 to serve my media through those apps to my friends and famly.

Apple TV definitely has the cleanest UI, though. Roku/Amazon/Google TV feels like they're bombarding me with ads all over the OS. tvOS is super snappy, often times I don't even have to jump into an app to continue where I left off - the next episode is usually at the top under Continue Watching. The aerial drone screensavers are beautiful, too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 28, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

qbert posted:

I can very easily stream all the videos on my PC to my tv via the VLC app on my Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can I do the same easily using the Apple TV somehow?

Yes. Unsurprisingly, with the VLC app.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Astro7x posted:

Ha, yeah... I actually did a focus group a while ago specifically for this TV. Where they were asking things like what each model should be called, and what features you would want in the different levels. I really appreciate that simplified the naming of them and went with "Select" and "Plus" series. Though there was a third tier TV called "Ultra" that they showed use as well, and currently they just have the two tiers.

Did you not sign an NDA for that?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
They're out now, I don't think it matters really. This was years ago.

TV manufacturer releasing higher quality version of existing product isn't exactly a trade secret.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yes. Unsurprisingly, with the VLC app.

Awesome, that's half the reason I was hesitating on making the switch. SmartTube is so nice though, since I watch a lot of YouTube and it's features are just so much more useful than the native app.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just use a vpn to sign up for youtube premium. i think im paying about $4 ukrainian dollars per month for YT family

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have some first Gen 4k Chromecast attached to the living room TV. It's whole purpose is to plug into the eARC HDMI port and allow me to turn on the TV via voice control from the kitchen so that when I sit down it's fully initialized and ready to Streaming Video. Also handy to turn it off at the end of movie time and walk away without digging for the remote in the blankets

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The other big benefit is if you have a sound system (sound bar with subwoofer in my case) attached to the chromecasted TV, you can use the TV as a receiver for streaming audio (Spotify). It's maybe not audiophile approved but great for everyone else

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

BonoMan posted:

I'm still sharing my parents Netflix, but I'm locked out of using it on the smarttv app due to not being "in the household". Screen sharing my phone tries to launch the Netflix app on the tv, even after I uninstalled it. Casting from phone to the chromecast however, works like a charm.

So yeah, working around Netflix's bullshit is my primary use of my chromecast these days.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

NFX posted:

A bit late, but:

IIRC you have to log in to Netflix on the website, you can set the subtitle style there. It's under account, the scroll down and expand "profile and parental controls", THEN you can set the subtitle style. I've mine set to white on a black background, both with half transparency. It works pretty well. I have no idea why it's so convoluted to find, and it would be nice if the Netflix app just used the system settings on e.g. Roku.

Yeah, we ended up doing dark blue on black. The white is eye burningly bright!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Anyone have a best in class slim wall mount recommendation? I got a 77" LG C3 last weekend and am having a tough time deciding. I'd like the ability for a small amount of tilt if possible and that's basically it, otherwise as close to the wall as possible and not junk