Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Mendrian posted:

'Doing as little as possible' is basically trying to get away with not doing your job. It means if the state allows you a 15 minute bathroom break, you take exactly a fifteen minute bathroom break. It means if you are assigned exactly 10 whatsits to zob, you zob exactly 10 whatsits, ensuring it takes up your entire shift to the second. I would call this basically weaponized hatred of the act of working itself.

I’m trying to understand this but I just don’t. If I’m allowed a 15 minute break, why wouldn’t I take a full 15 minute break when I take a break? And if I’m only paid to zob 10 whatsits and I can do it 1 hour and ask for more work to do, or do it over 8 hours and get paid all the same… why would I ask for more work and stress in my life?

E: This is the same psychological bullshit companies that offer “unlimited PTO” do to get you to take less time off. They get you to do the self calculus and make you think you’re abusing the system for everyone so you end up taking less time off than if the company had offered x days off. So if the job says to zob 10 things then just zob 10 things and ask for more work if you’re a dumb dumb.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

zoux posted:

Again, inflation adjusted wages are up, so while there are probably plenty of people who didn't see wage increases commensurate with inflation, there are way more who did.
Inflation is measured in a way that is irrelevant to many working people.

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

PhazonLink posted:

so what is a switchgear, and do you know it good enough to adequately explain it to be an internet rando ?

As some other goon has said, it's basically a large-scale electrical regulator used primarily for plant operations; usually chemical and oil plants in where I'm from. They're unfortunately hard to express for internet randos, but as far as I remember of them, they act as control for industrial electrical distribution, with various devices to measure stuff like amperage, voltage, and what not. They typically come in an "A" and "B" side, which either one can also act as a load-bearer for a system when one part happens to shut down unexpectedly.

Mainly, I say this because that job just happened to be the one that first gave me an offer once I graduated, so it was "Welp! Guess I'm learning how to make these now! :v:"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

cat botherer posted:

Please elaborate.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All work paid under capitalism is exploitative. There's no such thing as non-exploited paid labor. The exploitation is where the profit comes from.

what about commisions. if you pay an artist to do a thing and they do said thing with no rushing or harmful poo poo towards them by the commisoner and you pay them full amount or more, is that exploitive. not being a dick or doing some trap poo poo. just curious. i guess thats less capitalism and more barter.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m trying to understand this but I just don’t. If I’m allowed a 15 minute break, why wouldn’t I take a full 15 minute break when I take a break? And if I’m only paid to zob 10 whatsits and I can do it 1 hour and ask for more work to do, or do it over 8 hours and get paid all the same… why would I ask for more work and stress in my life?

If you derive zero fulfillment from your work, by all means do exactly the minimum. Plenty of people work harder out of a sense of personal fulfillment and pride in their work, and so it doesn't really add stress to their lives but rather reduces it because they feel useful.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OctaMurk posted:

If you derive zero fulfillment from your work, by all means do exactly the minimum. Plenty of people work harder out of a sense of personal fulfillment and pride in their work, and so it doesn't really add stress to their lives but rather reduces it because they feel useful.

That's all well and good but cutting your fifteens (they're breaks, not specifically "bathroom breaks") short for the benefit of your job is mental illness

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

That's all well and good but cutting your fifteens (they're breaks, not specifically "bathroom breaks") short for the benefit of your job is mental illness

Yeah I agree, people should take advantage of their benefits.

On the other hand, occasionally I've stayed late at work, even though I'm on salary, because I feel in "the zone" and I'm personally excited to see a design I came up with come to fruition, or I'm learning something new. I don't think that is mental illness, even though technically I am giving my company "free work".

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Piell posted:

Alternatively, if you don't ever expect to make enough money to retire then why bother trying to save for retirement instead of enjoying your life while you can while you're young

To clarify, this isnt a random doomer comment. A valid approach is a lifetime income perspective, where people expect to make more money in the future and are spending at that level rather than let their lifestyle creep up gradually. They can be wrong with that assumption but it's a logical approach if you value comfort now over some slightly higher long term gain (or you don't think there's a long term to save for).

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Eric Cantonese posted:

This belief might have been fully refuted at this point, but I'm convinced that boomers are going to live way longer than anyone anticipates (and definitely longer than previous generations just due to medical technology and better living habits and nutrition) and Gen X and Millennials are going to get way less than anyone expects. Boomers will, rather understandably, not just die gracefully and a lot of wealth will get sucked up into longterm healthcare needs and/or reverse mortgages or other financial mechanisms to try to substitute for work income. God knows you also have tons of online scammers and other fraudsters empowered by the internet just hovering over the elderly, waiting to pounce.

I think we're going to find out that the best way to prevent an inheritance from coming to pass is to expect it and everyone seems to be expecting it.

TLDR: Boomers don't give a gently caress about their kids or grandkids.

I read this article this morning, combined with a few other Boomers Bad articles, and it really crystallizes something my husband and I have been struggling with. My 80+ year old father-in-law lives like 20 minutes away, has been retired for years, and rarely sees us or his grandkids. He has taken multiple road trips, often camps in nearby forests and poo poo, but never invites us or his grandkids. His oldest local grandkid is 13, the kid is really easy to hang out with, but the guy never spends time with him. After years of fretting about the lack of a grandparent presence in our kids' lives, my husband finally broke down and had a heart-to-heart with the dude. He says things will change, he and his wife are both retired and financially fat and do poo poo like kayak and camp, but they clearly don't give a poo poo about my kids and I don't want to force people into our lives who don't want to be there. We could have saved thousands of dollars if they had been around to help with childcare or babysitting, and apparently this is a pretty common with GenX & Millennial parents.
The other grandparents are on perpetual cruises and/or live out of state. My own mother was here for Thanksgiving, in town for 48 hours, and spent maybe 6 hours with the kids and barely said a word to them. I guess it just didn't occur to her that my kids would love to hang out in her hotel pool for hours, and it would have been a cheap and easy way to spend time with them.

I am envious of those that are blessed with extended families that aren't toxic and give a poo poo about the well-being of their kids/grandkids/etc. My husband and I are out here on our own with this gaggle of kids, burdened with the knowledge we will have to care for and deal with our indifferent parents when they get sick and need elder care, or when we have to deal with their estates. I fully expect their houses to be underwater somehow, my mother is passing along multiple timeshare scams when she dies, we are trying to brace ourselves for the worst because the last thing these people want to hear is advice (financial or otherwise) from their kids.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme
Apparently the Indian spy services tried to assassinate a Sikh activist in New York. This after the actual assassination of another Sikh separatist leader in Canada in June.

WaPo article posted:

An Indian government employee who described himself as a “senior field officer” responsible for intelligence ordered the assassination of a Sikh separatist in New York City in May, U.S. prosecutors alleged Wednesday. The court filing heightens scrutiny of India’s spy services following similar allegations made by Canadian authorities in September.
The government employee, who was not named in the indictment filed in a federal court in Manhattan, recruited an Indian national named Nikhil Gupta to hire a hit man to carry out the assassination, which was foiled by U.S. authorities, according to prosecutors.
The court filing did not name the victim, but senior Biden administration officials say the target was Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, general counsel for the New York-based Sikhs for Justice, a group that seeks to carve from India an independent Sikh state called Khalistan.
The alleged link between the Indian government and the assassination attempt on U.S. soil threatens to strain ties between the two countries and prompted the Biden administration to dispatch its top two intelligence officials to New Delhi to demand the Indian government investigate and hold to account those responsible, senior administration officials said.
CIA Director William J. Burns flew to India in August and Director of National Intelligence Avril Haines followed in October, said the officials, who like others interviewed for this report spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the matter’s sensitivity.
The Justice Department said Wednesday that the unnamed Indian government employee agreed, in a deal brokered by Gupta, to pay $100,000 to a purported hit man who was in fact an undercover U.S. law enforcement officer. On June 19, one day after Sikh separatist Hardeep Singh Nijjar was assassinated in Canada, Gupta told the purported hit man to proceed with the New York murder, explaining that both Sikhs were on the same list of targets, U.S. prosecutors said.
The indictment contains chilling details, alleging that the Indian government employee and Gupta had a sweeping plan to kill “so many targets,” as Gupta put it, in Canada and the United States. The operations would be directed from India. Besides the target in New York, at least one other was in California and three were in Canada, according to the filing.
Prosecutors reference the killing of Nijjar in Canada. On June 12, on a call with a DEA informant, Gupta stated that there was a “big target” in Canada, the indictment says. On June 18, masked gunmen killed Nijjar outside a Sikh temple in British Columbia.
“Later that evening, just hours after the Nijjar murder, [the Indian government employee] sent Gupta a video clip that showed Nijjar’s bloody body slumped in his vehicle,” the indictment stated.
Gupta replied “that he wished he had personally conducted the killing,” it added.
On June 20, according to prosecutors, the government employee texted Gupta that carrying out the New York assassination was a “priority now.”
But the men were careful to ensure that any assassination not be carried out during the period in June when Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was in the United States for a state visit hosted by President Biden, according to the indictment. Gupta instructed the informant that “we need to calm down everything [for] 10 days,” a period that included Modi’s time in New York and Washington, it said.
The administration learned of the foiled plot in late July, triggering an effort to raise the matter with senior Indian government officials. In early August, national security adviser Jake Sullivan brought his concerns to his counterpart, Ajit Doval, in person during a meeting in another country in the region.
One day after Nijjar was assassinated, Bobby Singh, a Sikh youth activist in Sacramento, received a call from an FBI agent advising him about safety measures, including avoiding public places. When asked where the threat was coming from, the agent told him “we can’t tell you,” he recalled.
Two days later, a threatening text message appeared on his phone at 1:41 a.m. It said: “Just a head up for you. You’re next in the USA. We have all tools ready to come fix the problems.”
It closed: “Jai hind” — or “Victory to India.”
That day, Modi was welcomed to Washington by Biden for a lavish state visit intended to showcase the nations’ ties. The following day, Amarjit Singh, a Sikh nationalist from New York, joined a protest in front of the White House over mounting human rights concerns under Modi. Inside the White House, Modi and Biden were meeting.
As he drove back to New York, he recalled, he received a phone call. It was an FBI agent warning him about a threat to his life.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cat botherer posted:

I mean, there are several different inflation measures and they're more accurate or less accurate in different contexts, but you're going to have to do more than that if you want to argue that real wage estimates (which are meant to be as representative as possible of as many Americans as possible) are wildly off base. also CPI tends to be one of the higher inflation metrics so that's a bit of a pickle for the position that inflation is being understated and people are actually as badly off as The Vibes want us to think

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OctaMurk posted:

Feeling useful doing what would be my prime question here tbh. If someone gets a sense of fullfillment from teaching students or trying their best at something vs someone feeling good because their reports came back in positive. One is good for the planet and the other is nothing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean I can understand how it happens though. If you think your financial situation is bad, and you don’t expect it to ever improve, but you also don’t expect it to get worse because you’re “getting by” and financial woes are a tomorrow problem. Then why not YOLO and salvage a good life now.

Piell posted:

Alternatively, if you don't ever expect to make enough money to retire then why bother trying to save for retirement instead of enjoying your life while you can while you're young

Usually, when people are saying the economy is bad, they engage in less consumer spending, especially when it comes to purchases they can do without or postpone till later.

When the economists say that Americans aren't spending like the economy is bad, they're not basing that on empty theorizing. They're actually looking back at old consumer spending data and correlating it with economic polling and actual economic conditions. Normally, when people think the economy is bad and their financial situation sucks, they spend less money. This time, they're not.

There's a bunch of changes in consumer behavior that pretty consistently happen when the economy is bad or people are doing badly, and basically none of those changes are happening this time. That is why experts are acting all confused and surprised.

Pretty much everything about the economy right now - and consumers' reaction to it - is different from how things have ever gone before. That is why economists and pollsters seem so shocked about everything.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Piell posted:

but most study's into zoomer saving habits indicate that they're more prolific savers than millenials, genx, or boomers were at their age

quote:

A recent study from TransAmerica Center for Retirement Studies shows that, despite being the youngest working generation, Gen Z is doing a remarkable job saving for retirement. Over 30% of Gen Z is prioritizing retirement savings, and 67% of those that have been offered a retirement plan are saving for it.

Gen Z — the post-Millenial generation, born roughly between 1997-2012 — are mostly in their teens, but the oldest among them is already 22 and by 2025, they'll account for 27% of the workforce. The study shows that for workers ages 18 to 25, the median they have saved — across retirement accounts — is $33,000. This focus on future financial security is not surprising given the instability in the work market caused by the pandemic and Gen Z's clear-eyed pursuit of good pay and compensation — a shift from the Millenial values of personal development and wellbeing at work.

The median retirement savings for Baby Boomers is $162,000, it's $87,000 for Gen X and $50,000 for Millennials. Compared to these older generations, Gen Z is saving a larger percentage of their salary towards retirement. They’re putting away an impressive 20%, and starting at a much earlier age than older generations.

https://www.kiplinger.com/personal-finance/study-finds-gen-z-doing-an-extraordinary-job-saving-for-retirement

there's a ton of contradictory information on feelings about economic stats, it's very easy to draw whatever conclusions fit your priors, and very hard to identify an actual root cause if you take most of the reported information on faith

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 29, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Charliegrs posted:

Since we are on the topic of phones I've been reading a lot of articles lately about how the youngest generation of workers, so like late zoomers I guess? Are terrible at actual computer knowledge. Like just as bad as boomers. And it's having a real effect on their ability to work in offices where the basic computer knowledge is needed. Like apparently these kids don't know how to operate a mouse and keyboard, don't know how to navigate file structures or other basic windows functions, don't know how to print etc. Because they grew up with smartphones and tablets and that whole ecosystem and many households just don't have an actual PC now.

So it got me wondering is any real computer stuff taught in schools anymore? When I was school in the 80s and 90s they taught us a lot of that stuff and we had lots of typing classes too.

I know this is from a few pages ago, but the biggest complaint I hear from my old roomie regarding her <25 coworkers is this exactly. They gently caress around all day on social media and don't actually know how to manipulate their PCs to do the little office work they're actually assigned.

It was...shocking to hear to say the least. Everything is so "user friendly" right now that people don't actually know how any of it works.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

zoux posted:

cat botherer posted:

Please elaborate.
People don't care about the rate at which prices are increasing (how inflation is measured), but about how high prices are (relative to what they're accustomed to).

That last parenthetical is important, because I think it largely explains the disconnect we're discussing. We're a society where you could get a $5 footlong for lunch as recently as eight years ago, and now that same sub costs nearly $11. 120% inflation! That's a hard pill to swallow, even if you're inclined to sit down and calculate how much of your income that sub represented then vs. now.

Prices went very high, very fast, and they're basically not going to come down. People are going to have to get used to them and/or ask for raises, and that sucks.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tibeerius posted:

People don't care about the rate at which prices are increasing (how inflation is measured), but about how high prices are (relative to what they're accustomed to).

That last parenthetical is important, because I think it largely explains the disconnect we're discussing. We're a society where you could get a $5 footlong for lunch as recently as eight years ago, and now that same sub costs nearly $11. 120% inflation! That's a hard pill to swallow, even if you're inclined to sit down and calculate how much of your income that sub represented then vs. now.

Prices went very high, very fast, and they're basically not going to come down. People are going to have to get used to them and/or ask for raises, and that sucks.

But they did get the raises. That's the point of the numbers; they're specifically taking that into account. And gas prices are down significantly from last year (tho still increased from 2020), which is usually considered the most politically influential price.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

but most study's into zoomer saving habits indicate that their more prolific savers than millenials, genx, or boomers were at their age

[A recent study from TransAmerica Center for Retirement Studies shows that, despite being the youngest working generation, Gen Z is doing a remarkable job saving for retirement. Over 30% of Gen Z is prioritizing retirement savings, and 67% of those that have been offered a retirement plan are saving for it.

Gen Z — the post-Millenial generation, born roughly between 1997-2012 — are mostly in their teens, but the oldest among them is already 22 and by 2025, they'll account for 27% of the workforce. The study shows that for workers ages 18 to 25, the median they have saved — across retirement accounts — is $33,000. This focus on future financial security is not surprising given the instability in the work market caused by the pandemic and Gen Z's clear-eyed pursuit of good pay and compensation — a shift from the Millenial values of personal development and wellbeing at work.

The median retirement savings for Baby Boomers is $162,000, it's $87,000 for Gen X and $50,000 for Millennials. Compared to these older generations, Gen Z is saving a larger percentage of their salary towards retirement. They’re putting away an impressive 20%, and starting at a much earlier age than older generations.]

The same doom spending (what a dumb af name) article does not agree with what you’re posting:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/29/americans-are-doom-spending-heres-why-thats-a-problem.html

quote:

Gen Z workers are the biggest cohort of nonsavers, Bankrate also found.

It cites:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/19/retirement-expectations-vs-reality-heres-how-americans-stack-up.html

quote:

And yet, Gen Z workers are the biggest cohort of non-savers, Bankrate also found.

The average 401(k) balance among boomers is $220,900, according to the latest data from Fidelity Investments, the nation’s largest provider of 401(k) plans.

Gen Xers have saved $153,300, on average, while millennials have $48,300 in a 401(k). For Gen Z, the average balance is $8,100.

… which doesn’t actually support the claim and they don’t cite the actual Bankrate research.

It doesn’t support it because it doesn’t give a number for # or % of the gen z cohort saving for retirement, only that the average gen z 401k balance is 8k while a boomer has 153k. Which… makes sense??? I mean, I’m actually more surprised that the average boomer age 401k is so low tbh.

Anyway I’d be curious to read your source about saving habits of generational cohorts.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I mean, there are several different inflation measures and they're more accurate or less accurate in different contexts, but you're going to have to do more than that if you want to argue that real wage estimates (which are meant to be as representative as possible of as many Americans as possible) are wildly off base. also CPI tends to be one of the higher inflation metrics so that's a bit of a pickle for the position that inflation is being understated and people are actually as badly off as The Vibes want us to think

Pretty much this. Not long ago CPI was unusually high and food and energy were even higher. Now CPI is back near typical levels, rental inflation is similar to CPI, food is below that and dropping, and energy is deflationary, while wage growth is improving. Like, plenty of people still haven't dug out of the hole, I get that. My own wages haven't kept up with inflation the last few years; I'd need a pretty nice raise to catch up to where I was in 2019 and if I was doing less well to start that would hurt.. But I keep getting assured that despite numbers saying otherwise it's actually getting way worse than it was even last year. The millennial equivalent of boomers being mad candy bars aren't ten cents any more (while they're making far more than they did when candy bars were ten cents) does not mean things are getting worse. It also does not mean that inflation is measured in a meaningless way because that is exactly what inflation is meant to measure.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Morrow posted:

To clarify, this isnt a random doomer comment. A valid approach is a lifetime income perspective, where people expect to make more money in the future and are spending at that level rather than let their lifestyle creep up gradually. They can be wrong with that assumption but it's a logical approach if you value comfort now over some slightly higher long term gain (or you don't think there's a long term to save for).

smoothed lifetime consumption is a model that makes complete sense for a certain contemptible type of theoretical economist, but absolutely no one actually implements. i'm a believer that on the balance people act rationally more than irrationally, but nobody is heuristically or deliberately calculating their lifetime marginal utility curve for any sort of decision making on any level that matters. and we are not awash in elderly boomers or silents complaining that they saved too much when they were younger

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: This is the same psychological bullshit companies that offer “unlimited PTO” do to get you to take less time off. They get you to do the self calculus and make you think you’re abusing the system for everyone so you end up taking less time off than if the company had offered x days off. So if the job says to zob 10 things then just zob 10 things and ask for more work if you’re a dumb dumb.

I'm not saying don't take a break. You should take breaks. I'm saying there are people who sit on the toilet for exactly the amount of time they can before it becomes unreasonable. If you have a break, take a break. You don't need to trick your co-workers into thinking you take long shits.

And I'm not saying anyone should overwork themselves, I'm saying the opposite. The irony here is that if you work at a job that isn't a massive corporate institution with extremely siloed and well-defined roles, that kind of contractual thinking just like... doesn't work. If you work at a store, you should absolutely do the work of one person and let the phone ring if you're busy; you should work at a pace you define as healthy for yourself; you should take your breaks, and leave when it's your time to leave. But it's very difficult to define your actual role in strict terms the way you might at a big institution. 'Help Customers' is absurdly broad and encompasses a range of activities and quality of activities. So I'm explaining myself poorly, in other words.

People shouldn't work harder than they have to but they also shouldn't hide off camera and sit on the floor for eight hours because they technically can. I think we can agree most people do not do the latter.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell
The way that people keep talking about the issue honestly makes it feel like what is really happening is that people working full time on salary for didn't ask for raises and the people working for an hourly rate found other jobs or went back to school or whatever. If you got a 1% raise you weren't working hourly.

A pretty large portion of the economy is made up of people who work part-time and/or hourly and when a bunch of people left the workforce because of age/COVID/caretaker responsibilities ALL of those people got a huge bump.

Now we get a bunch of thinkpieces that say "what's so bad about the economy, and the answer is that a lot of people are fine, maybe even technically better off because they paid down loans a bit during the pandemic, but either A. They have lower real wages or B. They are spending a higher proportion on food even if they are spending less across all categories accounting for inflation.

The biggest trick is that people have been paying basically the same for gas for like 15 years and they will never internalize that as a savings because for most of that period inflation was like 1%

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

All work paid under capitalism is exploitative. There's no such thing as non-exploited paid labor. The exploitation is where the profit comes from.

what if you work for a non-profit

or the government

The answer of course is that you can easily get exploited under both, imo it's not so much capitalism that's the problem as lovely employers, a problem that capitalism exacerbates but did not invent and will not go away even if capitalism does

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyway I’d be curious to read your source about saving habits of generational cohorts.

see the edited post, i accidentally hit submit. that sources are contradictory either to drive a narrative or because the world is a confused morass is basically my wider point

in addition to the linked transamerican study, here's a slightly older one from blackrock that agrees

https://www.blackrock.com/us/individual/insights/retirement/gen-z-retirement

and one from vanguard

https://corporate.vanguard.com/content/dam/corp/research/pdf/generational_changes_in_401(k)_behaviors.pdf

notably all are employment plan providers, so take that bias how you will

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mendrian posted:

I'm not saying don't take a break. You should take breaks. I'm saying there are people who sit on the toilet for exactly the amount of time they can before it becomes unreasonable. If you have a break, take a break. You don't need to trick your co-workers into thinking you take long shits.

And I'm not saying anyone should overwork themselves, I'm saying the opposite. The irony here is that if you work at a job that isn't a massive corporate institution with extremely siloed and well-defined roles, that kind of contractual thinking just like... doesn't work. If you work at a store, you should absolutely do the work of one person and let the phone ring if you're busy; you should work at a pace you define as healthy for yourself; you should take your breaks, and leave when it's your time to leave. But it's very difficult to define your actual role in strict terms the way you might at a big institution. 'Help Customers' is absurdly broad and encompasses a range of activities and quality of activities. So I'm explaining myself poorly, in other words.

People shouldn't work harder than they have to but they also shouldn't hide off camera and sit on the floor for eight hours because they technically can. I think we can agree most people do not do the latter.

So to be clear, you have no issue with someone taking their allowed 15 minutes in the break room or sitting at their desk or whatever? Your issue is just the people who equate “break” with specifically “bathroom break” and sit on the toilet for 15 minutes to play on their phone?

I think we’re in agreement if so! At least for this part. Your OP kinda sounded like you were posting from the “yeah you’re allowed 15 minutes but if you only take 10 your CEO will notice give you a raise” pov.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 30, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Boss makes a dollar, I make a dime,
Quarter hour poops on company time

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Best shits are work shits.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

So to be clear, you have no issue with someone taking their allowed 15 minutes in the break room or sitting at their desk or whatever? Your issue is just the people who equate “break” with specifically “bathroom break” and sit on the toilet for 15 minutes to play on their phone?

I think we’re in agreement if so! At least for this part. Your OP kinda sounded like you were posting from the “yeah you’re allowed 15 minutes but if you only take 10 your CEO will notice give you a raise” pov.

Yeah I'm talking about specifically finding ways that aren't 'breaks' to take breaks. You should take breaks. We're in agreement.

Like in all honesty I'm even of two minds about it even here - people deserve more breaks and slower paced work environments and even taking additional defiance to do so is kind of understandable. There's a big continuum of people because surprise surprise the real world is a lot more analog and variable than text on a forum might dictate. I think there's a pretty big gulf between 'people who make reasonable accommodations for self care in addition to their government mandated break times' and 'people who literally avoid work at all costs' and my initial point is that the latter group isn't really all that common in real life practice, it's a goblin created by the 'quiet quitting' think pieces that are wholly inaccurate.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Good news for Biden--his overall approval rating in the Gallup poll hasn't fallen since last month:

Bad news for Biden--his numbers are cratering to a record low with independents:

He's also under water on every issue the poll asked about :

Gallup posted:

Poor Marks for Biden: Middle East, Economy, Foreign Affairs

BY MEGAN BRENAN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

- 37% approve, 59% disapprove of Biden, unchanged from last month’s ratings
- 32% approve of Biden’s handling of foreign affairs, economy, Middle East conflict
- Democrats’ ratings of Biden worst for the Middle East conflict

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- President Joe Biden’s job approval rating remains at 37%, tying his personal low, with disapproval at 59%. Approval ratings of the president’s handling of healthcare (40%) and the situation in Ukraine (38%) are similar to his overall rating, while fewer, 32% each, approve of his handling of the economy, foreign affairs, and the situation between the Israelis and Palestinians.

Gallup’s Nov. 1-21 poll marks the third time Biden’s overall job approval rating has been at 37%. All three instances have occurred in 2023 -- the first in April and the second in October. Biden’s job rating has not risen above 44% since August 2022 and has averaged 40% this year.

Gallup has measured Biden’s ratings on the economy and foreign affairs 10 times since he took office in 2021, and his ratings on the two issues have followed similar trajectories. Yet, in 2022, when inflation was at a 40-year high, and earlier this year, Biden’s foreign affairs ratings were significantly better than his economic ratings.

Biden’s current rating on the economy is just one percentage point higher than his lowest in 2022, while his foreign affairs rating is the lowest by six points.

Biden continues to navigate the United States’ role in wars between the Israelis and Palestinians and Russia and Ukraine, and he garners weak ratings for his handling of each. Americans’ current rating of the president’s handling of the situation in Ukraine is the lowest of four taken by Gallup and is down nine points since August.

The latest poll marks the first time Gallup has asked about Biden’s handling of the situation in the Middle East that erupted when Hamas militants invaded Israel on Oct. 7.

Democrats’ Ratings of Biden Worst on Middle East Conflict

While majorities of Democrats approve of Biden’s overall job performance and his handling of all five issues, their approval is lowest for the situation between the Israelis and Palestinians. In all, 60% of Democrats approve of his handling of the conflict, reflecting intraparty tensions over Israel’s right to defend itself against Hamas versus prioritizing the safety of Palestinian civilians. A separate question in the poll finds that 36% of Democrats approve of Israel’s military action against Hamas.

Meanwhile, two-thirds of Democrats approve of Biden’s job on foreign affairs, and roughly three-quarters each approve of his handling of the economy, healthcare policy and the situation in Ukraine. At the same time, no more than 16% of Republicans or 35% of independents approve of Biden’s handling of any of the issues. Republicans are most approving of Biden’s handling of the Middle East situation, while independents give him his best marks on healthcare policy.

More than four in five Democrats, 83%, approve of Biden’s overall job performance, compared with 5% of Republicans and 27% of independents.

Biden Approval Recovers Among Democrats but Falters Among Independents

After dropping 11 points last month, Democrats’ latest approval rating of Biden has rebounded and is up eight points to 83%. Still, it falls short of the nearly unanimous approval Biden enjoyed from his party during the first 11 months of his presidency.

Meanwhile, Biden’s approval rating from political independents has dropped eight points over the past month to a record-low 27% for that group, while he continues to earn minimal approval, just 5%, from Republicans.

Bottom Line

With less than a year to go until the presidential election, Biden continues to receive tepid ratings from the American public. His overall job approval rating is still at his personal low and is in historically dangerous territory for an incumbent seeking reelection. In addition, political independents’ record-low rating of Biden is striking. Biden’s even weaker ratings on the economy, foreign affairs and the Middle East suggest that his performance in these areas is dragging down his overall job performance rating.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/544808/poor-marks-biden-middle-east-economy-foreign-affairs.aspx

B B fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 30, 2023

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what about commisions. if you pay an artist to do a thing and they do said thing with no rushing or harmful poo poo towards them by the commisoner and you pay them full amount or more, is that exploitive. not being a dick or doing some trap poo poo. just curious. i guess thats less capitalism and more barter.

Probably depends on a lot of things, like exact terms of the commission (licensing, ownership, use of the artwork), how the artist is being compensated, the nature of the one making the commission (individual? company?), and the power dynamic between the commissioner and the artist.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

It's like a reployer

Sometimes things get deployed and you're like "wait, poo poo, that needed to stay ployed" and those will be the times you're really glad you have a good reployer.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
a week after ratifying the new contracts with the big 3, uaw is rolling out it's campaign to organize the rest of the industry

https://uaw.org/join/

non-union shops like toyota received pay increases pretty much immediately after the tentative deals were announced, so there is some fear out there in management

hope the new leadership can continue to rack up the wins with this more aggressive style

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

A commission isn’t really capitalism is it? There’s no capital or employees involved. I mean if you want to get really into the weeds they had to buy paint or whatever, but in general if you’re paying a person directly for a thing they independently make then you aren’t really participating directly with capitalism with that act. Most any financial system is going to have some sort of currency; it isn’t spending money that makes it capitalism. It’s (to vastly over-simplify) when private people (or a group like a corporation) control the means of production: the capital, and exploit labor by charging more for the thing that is made than they pay the workers.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

But they did get the raises. That's the point of the numbers; they're specifically taking that into account. And gas prices are down significantly from last year (tho still increased from 2020), which is usually considered the most politically influential price.

Psychologically, numbers are sticky: let’s say $50K used to be a ok salary 10 years ago, $100K used to be enough that you’d not have to think about money day-to-day. That perception wouldn’t have changed for somebody whose salary grew from $50K to $100K - but now they’re finding that $100K doesn’t feel any better than $50K did.

That’s because $100K now is what $50K used to be. But psychologically, it feels like it should be more. The fact that it doesn’t makes people feel under pressure.

And that’s the best case where income and inflation are keeping pace.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There’s no capital or employees involved.

Right.

Like, yes, exploitation can also exist under other forms of transaction, but a capitalistic relationship is necessarily exploitative; the profit derives from the excess value of the worker's labor, relative to the wage they are paid for that labor.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Logic Probed posted:

As some other goon has said, it's basically a large-scale electrical regulator used primarily for plant operations; usually chemical and oil plants in where I'm from. They're unfortunately hard to express for internet randos, but as far as I remember of them, they act as control for industrial electrical distribution, with various devices to measure stuff like amperage, voltage, and what not. They typically come in an "A" and "B" side, which either one can also act as a load-bearer for a system when one part happens to shut down unexpectedly.

Mainly, I say this because that job just happened to be the one that first gave me an offer once I graduated, so it was "Welp! Guess I'm learning how to make these now! :v:"
Simple: It's what blows up when you're looking at arc flash videos.

Less Simple: Think of a circuit breaker panel, but bigger and for way more power. It's still for power distribution but on a larger scale where the stakes are higher. Generally 4160v to 69kv and the breakers are anywhere from microwave to refrigerator sized instead of palm sized. Also a lot more complicated and can trip for more than just over current (load), transfer power from one source to a backup or second source (transfer trip), and are a pain in the rear end to work on compared with higher voltage equipment.

Most of the drafting/design firms seem to be against hiring people with experience and leave it to the field morons to make it work. In house training could help with this but that costs money so it would never work. I did my best to keep this rant free.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/nation-politics/the-national-christmas-tree-fell-over-make-of-that-what-you-will/

Life in Biden's America.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The War on Christmas comes earlier and earlier each year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

morothar posted:

Psychologically, numbers are sticky: let’s say $50K used to be a ok salary 10 years ago, $100K used to be enough that you’d not have to think about money day-to-day. That perception wouldn’t have changed for somebody whose salary grew from $50K to $100K - but now they’re finding that $100K doesn’t feel any better than $50K did.

That’s because $100K now is what $50K used to be. But psychologically, it feels like it should be more. The fact that it doesn’t makes people feel under pressure.

And that’s the best case where income and inflation are keeping pace.

oh yeah, when I'm sneering at The Vibes it's not that there's nothing to people's lizard brains being troubled by their recollection of the numbers, it's that human psychology regarding numbers and actual material conditions are different things

see also Crime Vibes, where two of the biggest drivers on an individual Vibes level are "I saw a poor / black / homeless person yesterday" or "I saw a broken window yesterday", not actual crime rates

e: we're broadly ahead of that best case though, where 100k is what 65k used to be (number made up, not gonna do the math on phone) but it still doesn't feel like 100k should so even though someone is objectively better off they feel Bad about it

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 30, 2023