Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

i was gonna post almost exactly this

i'm not sure if it's because of the classic ui or what but that actually seems somewhat more usable

for inherently dense stuff like this that kind of classic ui is so good yeah. have to basically know what you're doing anyway, so just pack it all in with little ceremony.

(though it could if course still be improved in a myriad of ways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pki is a mess

openssl is a mess

at least the complexity helps pay the bills

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I once had trouble getting a SIPS client to talk to my server and it turns out that I think the client actually checks to make sure something like the web tls server bit on the x509 extended attributes in the server certificate is turned on. And I think key encipherment on key usage. It was pretty maddening when I figured it out.

To top it all off, the code was open source. I dunno how fast I would have quit if the code was closed source.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i use openssl once or twice a month, because dummies don't want letsencrypt and send certs in stupid formats instead of just requesting a CSR, so i've come to the conclusion that it's perfect as a CLI, because i now have a couple bash "scripts" that are just one openssl line that takes a file and spits out pem formatted certs i can throw into a web server or what have you

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk i just generate my certs correctly and its not a problem.

im also using windows so its much easier to do correctly

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

some kinda jackal posted:

- my first day as CISO

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shaggar posted:

idk i just generate my certs correctly and its not a problem.

im also using windows so its much easier to do correctly

yeah, it's always windows users who don't understand what a csr is and send private keys over the internet, thanks shaggar

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its an internal CA you and your users should never have to deal with CSRs

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also theres no way a windows user who doesnt know what a csr is could possibly find the private key to send it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my internal CA that's supported by all the major OSes and browsers of random internet users :hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Truga posted:

i use openssl once or twice a month, because dummies don't want letsencrypt and send certs in stupid formats instead of just requesting a CSR, so i've come to the conclusion that it's perfect as a CLI, because i now have a couple bash "scripts" that are just one openssl line that takes a file and spits out pem formatted certs i can throw into a web server or what have you

One of my CA systems is based on a makefile and, to be honest, it's very needs suiting

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't think the problem here is disabling fixes for CPU bugs

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
world's first WAN-based bootloader attack

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BattleMaster posted:

looooooool

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BattleMaster posted:

what the gently caress

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i mean, i guess that's sort of what you'd expect from someone going out of their way to disable any and all security mitigation on their system in the name of performance, but still

lmao

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

One of my CA systems is based on a makefile and, to be honest, it's very needs suiting

team makefile ca checking in.

makefile/git/git-secret is amazing for a personal use ca

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i too benchmark in emacs

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BattleMaster posted:

:catstare:

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i too benchmark in emacs

edit makefile and collect speed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

it's got the *s* in https right in there, do you even know what the acronym means scrub?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
making my kernel secure via exposure therapy

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

excellent

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what does #include do? posted:

noibrs noibpb nopti nospectre_v2 nospectre_v1 l1tf=off nospec_store_bypass_disable no_stf_barrier mds=off tsx=on tsx_async_abort=off mitigations=off

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

isn't tsx bad because it has a rare chance of unintended memory corruption?

even without malware, natch

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oh ho

burning swine
May 26, 2004

this is not particularly contemporary, but a friend of mine (forums poster Malathion) just told me about this guy that he encountered: https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/13858/run-vlc-as-root

It's from 2014 but the stubborn rear end in a top hat computer toucher vibe is amusing and embarrassingly relatable to positions I've personally taken in past lives

quote:

I always (15+ years) use my system as root. I never had any issues. from all the apps I use, vlc is the only app that insist on running under normal user privileges. I do not see how can a movie or a music file can compromise my system. Can you give a real example? After each upgrade of vlc I run the above command to enable vlc to run as root. (It works on the vlc binary) hope some people find it useful :-)

secfuck thread 18.14: I do not see how can a movie or a music file can compromise my system

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lol is that gillian anderson in a palo alto networks ad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

burning swine posted:

this is not particularly contemporary, but a friend of mine (forums poster Malathion) just told me about this guy that he encountered: https://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/13858/run-vlc-as-root

It's from 2014 but the stubborn rear end in a top hat computer toucher vibe is amusing and embarrassingly relatable to positions I've personally taken in past lives

secfuck thread 18.14: I do not see how can a movie or a music file can compromise my system

iirc you could embed at least scripts and possibly executable code in wmv

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

post hole digger posted:

it's actually an ad for her new show "rwx education"

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

infernal machines posted:

iirc you could embed at least scripts and possibly executable code in wmv

There was a really fun HackTheBox machine named "Player" where one of the exploits involved creating/uploading a malicious avi file that had ffmpeg HLS vulnerability where it would output specified file contents within the playback of the video in VLC.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

writing parsers is hard and they tend to have a lot of bugs. saying "I don't see how a video can hurt my system :smug:" just demonstrates a shocking lack of understanding

Like, I took a few binary exploitation trainings and invariably they all had some media player app as an exercise.

also remember stagefright lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

are you suggesting that the person who insists on running everything as root does not have a fulsome understanding of exploit methods?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

quote:

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/g' /usr/bin/vlc

meh, if you look at the post, it seems like a pretty obvious trolling attempt

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i wonder if you could use a subtitle track as a vector and pipe it into the shell lol

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

spankmeister posted:

writing parsers is hard and they tend to have a lot of bugs. saying "I don't see how a video can hurt my system :smug:" just demonstrates a shocking lack of understanding

Like, I took a few binary exploitation trainings and invariably they all had some media player app as an exercise.

also remember stagefright lol
ya media player pocs are p common for entry-mid exploit training. container is the main barrier but with poo poo like vlc they care far more about playing in spite of a malformed input than sanitising anything

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
it’s a reasonable not-a-programmer mental approach where you insist on thinking in terms of human intent instead of seeing through the illusion and following the mad logic of the god of tortured sand. when i ta’d intro cs we had to savagely beat it out of our students, and it was probably the single biggest (academic) reason people washed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

post hole digger posted:

well if anything could make me consider pans to not suck...