Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Walton Simons posted:

loving hell I'm dumb

Why would it be a something about mary joke without additional setup. Pretty sure it's just him being unwashed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Pop music history is full of bands with managers who prove they have a devout fanbase by buying a carload of singles to fluff the numbers.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HOLY poo poo LMAO

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Watch out Lazlow Panaflex here is my dumb I don't get it moment. Behind the laughter, the Hollywood Walk of Fame jokes

Nelson Mandela being on the walk of fame is obviously a joke but also the image of an F1 car I took as a really obscure (especially for the US) reference to Nelson Piquet,

I don't get the Joan Jett star and especially the typewriter.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I’m pretty sure it’s just that associating Joan Jett with a category as demure as writing is the joke, when she is known for being a loud rock musician.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm going to go ahead and say the Nelson Mandela one is also just "he's not famous for driving cars, that's silly."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

There's two jokes. You got the Nelson Mandela one, the other is that Joan Jett is a published author, it's just the work she's least known for

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

AHH F/UGH posted:

Up next on "Am I a moron who doesn't understand humor?":

"Was Moe shooting his shotgun unrelated to his 'give them one of these' dance, and he thinks you should shoot people, or was the shooting part of the dance itself?"

A punchline is defined as a sudden deviation from the expectations set forth during the preceding set up.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

I will take either of these two as the answer, in conclusion my Joan Jett knowledge is not great and was looking for some sort of obscure reference that wasn't there. I am now a true goon.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just that associating Joan Jett with a category as demure as writing is the joke, when she is known for being a loud rock musician.

RandomFerret posted:

There's two jokes. You got the Nelson Mandela one, the other is that Joan Jett is a published author, it's just the work she's least known for

The hits keep coming in that thread

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1341206037206986754

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This exchange manages to make an already hilarious joke even funnier.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a 0% chance they aren't loving with everyone.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

This is like finding out your red is someone else's blue

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm so glad that I didn't get hit by a bus last week only because I got to watch all the Simpsons creators tell the loving dumbass pieces of poo poo who thought Ralph thinking he's a Viking was some sort of metaphor that they were wrong

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm so glad that I didn't get hit by a bus last week only because I got to watch all the Simpsons creators tell the loving dumbass pieces of poo poo who thought Ralph thinking he's a Viking was some sort of metaphor that they were wrong

loving hell dude it’s a joke from an episode of TV that aired twenty five years ago. Have a sense of perspective about this.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

csammis posted:

loving hell dude it’s a joke from an episode of TV that aired twenty five years ago. Have a sense of perspective about this.

The perspective is it's funny.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

csammis posted:

:thejoke:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

mind the walrus posted:

There's a 0% chance they aren't loving with everyone.

which really makes me question their response to the ralph viking question

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

csammis posted:

Y’all drag my interpretation all you want but please note that, given the opportunity, I’m willing to risk public embarrassment and be ratio’d to poo poo on Twitter in order to get contemporary feedback on a 25 year old joke and try to bring peace to the meme thread. God bless this mess.

You are history’s greatest monster

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Vikings in dues

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ili posted:

Not sure if this has gone way over my head, but I always figured it was a reference to the possibly true story the Beatles' promoter paid girls to scream at their appearances early on in their career to build up their hype and make them seem even more popular. Moe is shocked to find out the Be Sharps were genuinely that popular.

Didn't South Park do this joke in the boy band episode?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

csammis posted:

No

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Vikings in dues
:hmmyes:

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

AHH F/UGH posted:

Someone go back and watch all the first 7 seasons or whatever and see if someone ever throws says goodbye to a shoe and Homer sees it

Yes, once

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It makes sense if the stress in the sentence was on "that's where I'M a Viking" but it is read like "that's where I'm a VIKING"

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Moe thinks they were paid to scream because it's a sneaky marketing technique to convince people the barbershop quartet is actually good and he's surprised to find out that the barbershop quartet is actually good.

More specifically, it's a 'Beatles on Ed Sullivan' reference.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sheen Sheen posted:

Wow it’s almost like people interpret things in silly, dumb ways sometimes and the dream literalists in this thread are just a bunch of assholes

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTN3mHEAOA

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

That tweet is obviously some kind of weird idiom

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
I have 30 years of Simpsons joke rationalization in my head and I’ll be damned if some Twitter thread by the original writers is going to change my mind!

secular woods sex fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 22, 2020

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

secular woods sex posted:

I have 30 years of Simpsons joke rationalization in my head and I’ll be damned if some Twitter thread by the original writers is going to change my mind!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

secular woods sex posted:

Is this some kind of metaphor?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Cocaine Bear posted:

Is this some kind of metaphor?

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

Of course, "I'm Idaho" is a metaphor, comparing how good he is at sleeping to Idaho's production of commercial Trout

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Of course, "I'm Idaho" is a metaphor, comparing how good he is at sleeping to Idaho's production of commercial Trout

I appreciate your use of trout, instead of something else Idaho is well known for producing...

This coming from a goon from Maine, which is the Shelbyville to Idaho's Springfield in terms of potato production.

Now I want some Potato/Lemonposting mashup for maximum combinatory value.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Clearly that means Ralph has yet to awaken his ghola memories.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Walton Simons posted:

I once had this sort of thing with the Future Stock episode of Futurama. When the 80s Guy offers Fry hair gel and he says he makes his own, my friend interpreted it as Fry using his own home made hair gel. I interpreted it as Fry just being so unwashed and greasy that he could gel his hair with the grease coming from his scalp.

when Fry says "that used to be milk but time makes fools of us all,"

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

You’re a real Viking at insufferable histrionics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Shamelessly stolen from another goon in a goon discord: