Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

cant cook creole bream posted:

Squirrel Girl does too.
Somehow.

It's good for comedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

Squirrel Girl does too.
Somehow.
Having a nice butt being part of her secret identity is pretty great.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Daredevil in Netflix-verse has a secret ID, but by now all of his major cast knows about it.

Luke, Jessica, and Danny sure don't.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It's kind of neat that the Avengers in MCU mostly don't have secret identities so much as codenames.

One thing I wonder about in MCU, how many everyday people know Bruce Banner is Hulk, and how many people refer to him as "Hulk"?

Obviously, everyone on the Avengers, the remnants of Shield, probably most of Hydra, they all know his identity. But I'm guessing your average person has no clue.

But to the second point, does anyone outside of these people refer to Hulk as "Hulk"? I know we don't see the average person's view outside of the TV shows, but when they do, they always say something along the lines of "The big green dude". They call Cap and Iron Man by name, but I don't think anyone refers to Thor, Widow or Hawkeye that way either.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Theoretically after the events of winter soldier everyone knows banner is hulk

Would banner's shield file specify that hulk doesnt like to be called puny banner though?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Daredevil in Netflix-verse has a secret ID, but by now all of his major cast knows about it.

Luke, Jessica, and Danny sure don't.

Oddly enough, the Punisher does. Everyone knows that Frank Castle is the Punisher, but almost everyone thinks Frank Castle is dead. Frank Castilioni, though?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Pete. Pete Castellioni.

The Consequencer.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well...everyone did, past tense, think Frank was dead. Not anymore, at this point.

It's actually kinda weird 'cuz like the government just...literally dropped all charges against him or something? 'Cuz of the Agent Orange thing? Like I guess we can just brush off the mass murder spree you went on last year 'cuz a CIA guy did some corruption, good luck out there Frankie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Jamesman posted:

Pete. Pete Castellioni.

The Consequencer.

As your resident black Italian I feel obligated to point out that it's actually Castiglione.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Koalas March posted:

As your resident black Italian I feel obligated to point out that it's actually Castiglione.

Oof no thanks. The last time I ate that I got pretty bloated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's racist.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BrianWilly posted:

It's actually kinda weird 'cuz like the government just...literally dropped all charges against him or something? 'Cuz of the Agent Orange thing? Like I guess we can just brush off the mass murder spree you went on last year 'cuz a CIA guy did some corruption, good luck out there Frankie.

Yeah, that was a stretch. Like there's no loving way they just let Frank and his buddy skate on all that poo poo. That was probably my least favorite part of the whole Punisher series. That and Frank's Logan-esque healing abilities.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can totally buy that the CIA did whatever it could to cover up something like that and keep witnesses from talking cuz they've done it like a hundred times irl

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also Agent Orange was basically waging a private war against the other elements of the US Government, for no ones benefits than his own.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
*extremely thinking face*

https://twitter.com/heroichollywood/status/955141609397653510

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What does a movie producer typically do, anyway?

On a big expensive production like a Marvel or DC movie or a Star Wars movie, what will the producer be doing?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

What does a movie producer typically do, anyway?

On a big expensive production like a Marvel or DC movie or a Star Wars movie, what will the producer be doing?

My general understanding is the Producer is dealing more on the business side than creative side. A producer may hire the director, writers, choose which script to use, and take care of getting the film financed, distributed, etc... whereas the director is on the ground, shooting scenes, making modifications to the script or roles, generally the day-to-day stuff in making the film.

For big franchises, there's usually an Executive Producer who may oversee the whole franchise, coordinate, may have veto power over storylines or character usage, etc... For MCU films, that's been Kevin Feige.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, that was a stretch. Like there's no loving way they just let Frank and his buddy skate on all that poo poo. That was probably my least favorite part of the whole Punisher series. That and Frank's Logan-esque healing abilities.

The amount of times Frank got totally wrecked was hilarious to me. Maybe they were going for "an unstoppable force of hate and revenge" or something, and it did kind of work, but it was also really entertaining in a funny way to just see how many time he go shot and stabbed.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

notthegoatseguy posted:

For big franchises, there's usually an Executive Producer who may oversee the whole franchise, coordinate, may have veto power over storylines or character usage, etc... For MCU films, that's been Kevin Feige.

And for Star Wars that's Kathleen Kennedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

My general understanding is the Producer is dealing more on the business side than creative side. A producer may hire the director, writers, choose which script to use, and take care of getting the film financed, distributed, etc... whereas the director is on the ground, shooting scenes, making modifications to the script or roles, generally the day-to-day stuff in making the film.

Ragnarok had 7 credited producers. 5 of them as executive. Feige is not one though, he just gets a regular producer credit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The producer's job is to evaluate talent and make sure talent that doesn't have sex with him or her never works in this town again because they are difficult to work with or unstable

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I always thought the "executive" part meant they just put up money, I can't keep track of this poo poo.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I always thought the "executive" part meant they just put up money, I can't keep track of this poo poo.

Stan Lee regularly gets EP credit on pretty much every Marvel work ever but I kind of doubt he's ever been creatively involved outside of his cameos.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's no rule about what makes someone an executive producer. It used to be that they were financiers who worked on the corporate stuff of movie making, but that has changed. Stan Lee is an executive producer on the MCU movies.

A regular producer is usually hands on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this! posted:

And for Star Wars that's Kathleen Kennedy.

Right. In fact, I asked because I noted on the Wikipedia page for The Last Jedi that the movie has two credited producers: one is Kathleen Kennedy, whose presence makes sense given her status as head of Lucasfilm, who are paying for everything and own all the relevant IP rights etc; but the other is someone named Ram Bergman, who appears to have primarily produced other Rian Johnson movies, and it made me curious about what each of them actually did.

I know that Abrams was also credited as an executive producer (no doubt along with others) but have no idea what his contributions were; answering questions about The Force Awakens, I imagine.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kevin Smith is executive producer on Good Will Hunting for no reason other than to help them sell the movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Endless Mike posted:

Kevin Smith is executive producer on Good Will Hunting for no reason other than to help them sell the movie.

Which is just a funny thing to say out loud nowadays.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always figured Producer was just "The person with money"

And Executive Producer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_AnvUIvJs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

Right. In fact, I asked because I noted on the Wikipedia page for The Last Jedi that the movie has two credited producers: one is Kathleen Kennedy, whose presence makes sense given her status as head of Lucasfilm, who are paying for everything and own all the relevant IP rights etc; but the other is someone named Ram Bergman, who appears to have primarily produced other Rian Johnson movies, and it made me curious about what each of them actually did.

I know that Abrams was also credited as an executive producer (no doubt along with others) but have no idea what his contributions were; answering questions about The Force Awakens, I imagine.

Executive Producer is an odd duck title because it sounds impressive but more often than not it doesn't mean anything. It is especially evident on TV where a "big" name will be forever attached to the show when all they did was direct the pilot.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Samuringa posted:

I always figured Producer was just "The person with money"

And Executive Producer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P_AnvUIvJs
it's more like the opposite: a producer is a real job that does real things, while an executive producer might have loaned the production money, or could be somebody's brother, or could be somebody's secretary who got given an executive producer credit instead of a raise.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's a producer's guild, so there must be requirements and rules.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Hollywood guilds are one of those things meant to bottleneck the people who want to break into the industry. They're functionally meaningless to people operating at the high level we're talking about.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sure but one thing Hollywood guilds control with an iron fist is how crediting works.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Drew Carey insists that every executive producer he's ever met is a writer who gets paid slightly more and might actually impress someone with his job title.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Sure but one thing Hollywood guilds control with an iron fist is how crediting works.

Yeah the Coen Brothers do pretty much everything as a team but one has to take the director credit and the other takes a producer credit.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aphrodite posted:

There are, but you need something like 7 Executive Producer credits to qualify, which weeds out the "somebody's brother" vanity credits for the most part, but definitely allows in the "I give people lots of money and nothing else" people, which is entirely by design.

Fun fact: Stan Lee is a member of the WGA, SAG, and PGA.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Fun fact: Stan Lee is a member of the WGA, SAG, and PGA.

That's so cool that he can still compete in golf at his age.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Having just watched ragnarok again ive come to the conclusion that valkyrie is still my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Has anyone heard anything about this/got links to stories or anything?

https://twitter.com/JaleesaLashay/status/955593822179811328

• Locked thread